Linux Gaming: Discussion and support.

Started by RobbieThe1st, March 03, 2010, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fibre

Quote from: danman on March 13, 2010, 03:16:06 PM
Hmm, it was an emergency mainly because it was unexpected, and i did not have one bootable CD that could do all that i needed. Also the old packages disappeared from current, and 13.0 contains 2.6.29 which is too old for some of the other programs....
Besides it points out to another stupidity - in the past i used the boot floppies of slackware as an extremely sucessful rescue system
Now after dropping the new version onto an old flash i found out that although there still is lynx, they did not include some libraries it needs to run (or they are somehow messed, i do not know) so instead of getting the files i needed directly, i used wget + dowloading index.html and checking for path all the time... time consuming as well.
The emergency comes from the fact i needed to IM with someone that day later ... i made it 2 hours before , luckily.

Why not just boot from the old working kernel and/or roll back the whole update? Or did you remove the working system before rebooting?

And I wouldn't have thought 2.6.29 would be "too old" for anything either... Honestly, I'd be tempted to run 2.6.22 still for many applications if I needed to run Linux for such.

QuoteAs for your sound, i never encountered any such problem with the sound card you describe...
Maybe it was archlinux's fail ...

No idea, Arch Linux is pretty plain though and like I said it didn't seem to work much better on Ubuntu (pre-9.10, at least) anyway. I believe I used a kernel compiled directly from kernel.org at one point too anyway.

Quotei remember when i tried OpenBSD once i had an obscure graphics problem with the text consoles being corrupted when leaving X... and too, i have not heard much others having the same

Never tried OpenBSD...

VAE

Quote from: Fibre on March 13, 2010, 03:30:28 PM
Quote from: danman on March 13, 2010, 03:16:06 PM
Hmm, it was an emergency mainly because it was unexpected, and i did not have one bootable CD that could do all that i needed. Also the old packages disappeared from current, and 13.0 contains 2.6.29 which is too old for some of the other programs....
Besides it points out to another stupidity - in the past i used the boot floppies of slackware as an extremely sucessful rescue system
Now after dropping the new version onto an old flash i found out that although there still is lynx, they did not include some libraries it needs to run (or they are somehow messed, i do not know) so instead of getting the files i needed directly, i used wget + dowloading index.html and checking for path all the time... time consuming as well.
The emergency comes from the fact i needed to IM with someone that day later ... i made it 2 hours before , luckily.

Why not just boot from the old working kernel and/or roll back the whole update? Or did you remove the working system before rebooting?

And I wouldn't have thought 2.6.29 would be "too old" for anything either... Honestly, I'd be tempted to run 2.6.22 still for many applications if I needed to run Linux for such.

QuoteAs for your sound, i never encountered any such problem with the sound card you describe...
Maybe it was archlinux's fail ...

No idea, Arch Linux is pretty plain though and like I said it didn't seem to work much better on Ubuntu (pre-9.10, at least) anyway. I believe I used a kernel compiled directly from kernel.org at one point too anyway.

Quotei remember when i tried OpenBSD once i had an obscure graphics problem with the text consoles being corrupted when leaving X... and too, i have not heard much others having the same

Never tried OpenBSD...

You said it ... running slackpkg install-new && slackpkg upgrade-all while reading certain webcomic...
the other kernel was removed.
As for the oldness, if i remember there was some change in the ALSA programs , so that alsaconf did not do anything useful even with proper 2.6.29 drivers in place - before this i have had put kernel into blacklist, but i thought .... and for 2-3 updates it was fine
It seems i will do so again as custom kernel >> generic one (size 'n' drivers 'n' optimalisation)
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Fibre

Quote from: danman on March 13, 2010, 03:34:57 PM
You said it ... running slackpkg install-new && slackpkg upgrade-all while reading certain webcomic...
the other kernel was removed.

Snapshots! Redundancy! Backups! ;)

(Which brings up, Linux when I do need to use it is so much more pleasant running off a proper filer than direct-attach storage.)

QuoteAs for the oldness, if i remember there was some change in the ALSA programs , so that alsaconf did not do anything useful even with proper 2.6.29 drivers in place - before this i have had put kernel into blacklist, but i thought .... and for 2-3 updates it was fine
It seems i will do so again as custom kernel >> generic one (size 'n' drivers 'n' optimalisation)

I see, how irritating...

Vidar

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on March 09, 2010, 10:00:31 AM
Quote from: Vidar on March 07, 2010, 07:15:48 AM
Dwarf fortress.
It's the only game I have running on my laptop. For all my other gaming needs I have a Wii and a Windows box(XP, I swear I will never touch Vista).
It's good te hear that many windows games are playable in Linux, but it's still a bit of a hassle to get them working.

Vidar, you will want to look at Windows 7.  It's got all the shiny of Vista, but it actually works.  I've had no problems running everything I had in XP in 7.

I haven't. Does it have Vista's annoying features of UAC popping up all the motherloving time, and having all settings buried under umpteenmillion submenu's, wizards, help options, etc?
If so, then it has more of Vista's annnoyances then I care about.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Ryudo Lee

It does still have UAC, but it's much easier to be rid of.  And most of the settings are easier to find in the Control Panel.  It was a very simple transition for me from XP to 7.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Madd the Sane

Let's see...
I have Mac OS X... What do you mean it's not linux! :B

I have tried playing World Of Warcraft on my Linux box.  Unfortunately, it's components are mostly old outdated stuff.  I had hoped to get better-looking graphics than my Mac mini's GMA 950, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. D:
I have played a bit of Aleph One as well as Lugaru on my Linux box (recently upgraded to OpenSuSE 11.2).  In fact, I couldn't get stratagus to run on my Mac, so I played a bit of it on Linux.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?