[Art] Deeb's giraffe: beginner artist's giraffe

Started by Raffe, May 29, 2008, 09:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffe

I haven't really drawn since high school, and never did much then, so any criticism and tips are greatly appreciated. Simple paper and pencil giraffe. (and of course, the Deebs shaped spot gets credit from Amber)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/wolfie5/sketches/giraffe_righted.jpg
Hooray ellipsis!

GabrielsThoughts

Are you going for cartoony or realism? for realisim I would us a reference photo, and it helps if you can move the image around with you mind, try to envision how it would look if it was doing movement B, as opposed to static A.

If you want a more cartonish style then you've already got it, just draw it however you want, and if it's close then it becomes your own style. A true artist would never ask if it looks good, they know it already looks good because the act of creation is its own reward. Comments are always nice  and appreciated, but being an artist is like being a rockstar, the best musicians aren't always the best known musicians.

It also depends on the amount of time you took to draw it between one and four hours for pencils is probably a good indicator of high quality arts. Inking always make the image more visible, and makes it easier to work with in digital paints.

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

WhiteFox

Main critique I can make is that the eye looks off. I'll hazzard a guess and say that you've drawn an eye as it would look from the front when we're looking at at it from the side. depending on what kind of style you're going for, though, an eye's appearance can vary a lot.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...