01/10/10 [DMFA #1075] - Atreyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Started by ooklah, January 10, 2010, 03:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magician Faust

Gosh darn you, Amber!  D:<

That movie......why did you have to reference THAT movie!?

gavinfoxx

Well HERE'S a question... what exactly was pyro thinking or hoping for when she was talking about the size thing? Surely he had SOMETHING in mind when she said that? I mean he had to have been hoping for something fun -- just look at that face!

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: gavinfoxx on January 10, 2010, 04:41:01 PM
Well HERE'S a question... what exactly was pyro thinking or hoping for when she was talking about the size thing? Surely he had SOMETHING in mind when she said that? I mean he had to have been hoping for something fun -- just look at that face!

See this:

Quote from: Bjalf on January 10, 2010, 10:26:41 AM
Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on January 10, 2010, 09:58:47 AM
I mean, really, what else could Pyroduck have possibly thought Alexsi was leading up to?
I'd tell you, but the PG rating makes it difficult   >3

:P

candide

Quote from: Lucheek on January 10, 2010, 12:39:49 PM
...You know I should watch that movie. Because I had to look up "Falcor" on Wikipedia to get it. D8

Also: Have we ever seen a full-body shot of Pyroduck's dragon-form? Because I would very much like to see.
I didn't recognize the name, either.  But then, I wouldn't.

I read the original German edition of Die unendliche Geschichte.

{Pulls the paperback off of the shelf.}

Ah, yes.  Here it is:  p. 79.  Glücksdrache im Spinnennetz.  Fuchur ... as is name was in the original, was trapped in the web of Ygramul, "the Many."  Atréju (as spelled in the original Deutsch) saves Fuchur by, well, failing to save him... But that's another story, to be told some other time...

Glücksdrachen (a.k.a. "Luck-dragons") aren't the hokey fuzzy things from the movie version.  In the original, on pg. 74 at the start of the chapter, is a drawing containing what looks like a Chinese-style dragon.  The description given a few pages later (p. 79) is thus:  {candide begins rough-translating from german} "Luckdragons, in contrast, are creatures of air and warmth, creatures of unrestrained joy, and despite their gigantic size are as light as a summer cloud.  Hence they need no wings to fly.  They swim through the sky like fish through water.  From the ground, they look like slow-moving lightning.  The most wonderful thing about them is their voices.  Their voices ring like the golden roar of a giant bell, and when they speak softly, it's as if one is hearing this bell peal from afar.  Whoever hears such a voice will never forget it their entire life, and will tell their grandchildren of it."

So, there you have it.  Luckdragons:  wingless, shining-white, light as a feather, always happy and with a voice like the ringing of a clear, beautiful bell.

Die unendliche Geschichte is a wonderful book.  If you can read German even somewhat, you'll be able to follow it auf Deutsch.  Otherwise, see if you can get a good translation to read; it should be printed in two colors, red and green.

Wooo! No strip with a Neverending Story reference can possibly be bad!

Also, amazing to see Pyroduck in his "true" form for the first time. Or at least his neck.

Quote from: tiggertoo on January 10, 2010, 06:02:32 AM
Alexsi and Ducky could have some fun with Able when they get back though -- Alexsi walks in, gives it a minute, Ducky knocks on the door to Inn - "Able, would you go see who that is?" Ah, nothing like opening the door to find an enormous dragon on the other side to wake you up -- be a real topper for Able's evening.  :mowhappy

Why stop there. Let that thought sink in. Your significant other can turn into a HUGE. FREAKING. DRAGON! The possibillities are practically endless.

I'm looking foreward to Dan's reaction to this. I think his worst fears of this date have been surpassed in cruel and unusual ways.

Kibin

Uh.

Pyroduck already revealed his true form a while back, to Abel.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: candide on January 10, 2010, 06:54:00 PM
So, there you have it.  Luckdragons:  wingless, shining-white, light as a feather summer cloud, always happy and with a voice like the ringing of a clear, beautiful bell.

Since they bear such a close resemblance clouds, including their density, in DMFA they would definitely be an ethereal variety of mythos, rather than actual dragons.

Icon by Sunblink

Madmann135

What I find funny is that P-Ducky didn't see this coming.  I mean if I was dating a dragoness I would ask for a dragon ride in the sky quite often because that is on my fantasy wish list.

P-Ducky just faced one of the dangers of being a dragon dating a smaller race... the infamous dragon rides.  I know getting ridden like is embarrassing to one and exciting to another.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

candide

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 10, 2010, 09:12:53 PM
So, there you have it.  Luckdragons:  wingless, shining-white, light as a feather summer cloud, always happy and with a voice like the ringing of a clear, beautiful bell.

Since they bear such a close resemblance clouds, including their density, in DMFA they would definitely be an ethereal variety of mythos, rather than actual dragons.
Well, I kinda got sucked into reading my favorite parts when I cracked it open to find Fuchur's first appearance (and name).  Other parts of the book describe Fuchur's shape quite nicely.  And he looks like a gigantic, white, four-legged snake.

There's another great thing about Die unendliche Geschichte that I forgot to mention.  Each chapter starts with a ... how do I describe this? ... a "Miniature" (but the final "e" is always pronounced "uh" in German).  In medieval texts, book chapters began with a very large, highly stylized capital letter, the first letter of the first sentence.  It appeared in a box, almost a small painting, surrounded by other images.

These are the Miniaturen, and each chapter of Die unendliche Geschichte has one.  In several, Fuchur appears, looking exactly like a Chinese dragon (with large scales, BTW) only completely white.

So, sorry, Fuchur would look like a Dragon in Furrae.  A very shiny-white, wingless Dragon. 

P.S. - Another cool thing:  Die unendliche Geschichte has exactly 26 chapters, with first letter of the first sentence of each in alphabetical order.  I. e.: the first chapter starts with the word, "Alles" {==all}, the second with, "Beratung" {==advice}, ... the 25th with "Yor" {the blind mountaineer}, and the last with "Zögernd" {hesitantly}.  Sometimes, a chapter began with the name of a character introduced 100 pages earlier.  That took some planning!

P.P.S - I meant to write, "light as a feather," ChaosMageX.  That's precisely what Michael Ende intended {Herr Ende wrote Die unendliche Geschichte in 1979}.  His writing is very uncomplicated German, yet nonetheless very poetic.  Don't be so literal.   :mowwink

gavinfoxx

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 10, 2010, 04:44:30 PM
Quote from: gavinfoxx on January 10, 2010, 04:41:01 PM

See this:

Quote from: Bjalf on January 10, 2010, 10:26:41 AM
Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on January 10, 2010, 09:58:47 AM
I mean, really, what else could Pyroduck have possibly thought Alexsi was leading up to?
I'd tell you, but the PG rating makes it difficult   >3

:P

Cmon! He's a DRAGON! Surely sex stuff wasn't the ONLY fun thing he (or you all I guess) could think of! Something has to be relevant that is PG, right?

Lego3400

ChaosMageX

Quote from: candide on January 10, 2010, 09:43:54 PM

Well, I kinda got sucked into reading my favorite parts when I cracked it open to find Fuchur's first appearance (and name).  Other parts of the book describe Fuchur's shape quite nicely.  And he looks like a gigantic, white, four-legged snake.

These are the Miniaturen, and each chapter of Die unendliche Geschichte has one.  In several, Fuchur appears, looking exactly like a Chinese dragon (with large scales, BTW) only completely white.

So, sorry, Fuchur would look like a Dragon in Furrae.  A very shiny-white, wingless Dragon.  

Could you find me the pictures from the book on the internet?  Or perhaps scan them in from your copy and upload them to an image server?

Whenever I Google Image search for "luck dragon", I get the fluffy thing from the movie that looks like a mythos, instead of whatever you're referring to that looks like a proper dragon.

EDIT:
Also, I've noticed a difference in Pyroduck's dragon form between the two times we've seen it:
His cheeks are fluffy in this page,
But they aren't fluffy in this page

Icon by Sunblink

Roach Lord

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 10, 2010, 04:16:10 AM
Heh, "Falcor" I was NOT expecting....   :giggle

Falcor is from what movie or novel?

Kenji

LionHeart

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 10, 2010, 10:30:30 PMI've noticed a difference in Pyroduck's dragon form between the two times we've seen it:

I think the difference is probably due to him flying in the second one.

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 10, 2010, 01:46:05 PM
Quote from: jeffh4 on January 10, 2010, 01:29:54 PM
By having some of the same fiction in the DMFA universe, that allows Amber to make entertaining cultural references like this one. Trying to make fiction about a 100% foreign universe is pretty much impossible with no points of reference such as common values, desires, etc. 

However, maybe she intentionally misspelled the name to avoid a direct cultural reference.  Falcor =/= Falkor

The spelling of his name might just be different in the Furrae version. ;)
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

candide

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 10, 2010, 10:30:30 PM
Quote from: candide on January 10, 2010, 09:43:54 PM
Quote from: candide on January 10, 2010, 06:54:00 PMSo, there you have it.  Luckdragons:  wingless, shining-white, light as a feather summer cloud, always happy and with a voice like the ringing of a clear, beautiful bell.

Well, I kinda got sucked into reading my favorite parts when I cracked it open to find Fuchur's first appearance (and name).  Other parts of the book describe Fuchur's shape quite nicely.  And he looks like a gigantic, white, four-legged snake.

These are the Miniaturen, and each chapter of Die unendliche Geschichte has one.  In several, Fuchur appears, looking exactly like a Chinese dragon (with large scales, BTW) only completely white.

So, sorry, Fuchur would look like a Dragon in Furrae.  A very shiny-white, wingless Dragon. 

Could you find me the pictures from the book on the internet?  Or perhaps scan them in from your copy and upload them to an image server?

Whenever I Google Image search for "luck dragon", I get the fluffy thing from the movie that looks like a mythos, instead of whatever you're referring to that looks like a proper dragon.
Funny that you should ask...

I was just leafing through my copy, yet again {damn that book is hard to put down!}, when I came across another lovely, poetic description of Fuchur (p. 276).

His head resembles that of a lion.  Long, white beards hang from his muzzle.  He has ruby-red eyes that sparkle.  He doesn't have fur, but opalescent scales that look like mother-of-pearl.

And, from what I can gather, Fuchur seems to have a mane like white flame, but whether it's on his head, running down his body behind his neck, or actually underneath his neck, I'm not clear.  {Damn you, long complicated German sentences! {shakes fist}}

Oooh!  Found another tidbit (p. 173):  Luckdragons feed on air and warmth.  They breath constantly through (or perhaps from under) their scales.  And water they do not like.  Complete immersion in water can snuff them out like a candle flame.

As for the illustrations in the Miniaturen, well, they're just sketches in green and red ink.  A few contain what looks like the kind of dragon that one would see in old Chinese paintings or on old Chinese vases.  That, I presume, is supposed to be Fuchur.

But don't let yourself be bound by any pre-made image.  In true tradition of the book, let your Imagination bring the Luckdragon alive for you, using the descriptions that I've found and translated for you.   :mowsmile

Alondro

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on January 10, 2010, 07:09:40 PM

Why stop there. Let that thought sink in. Your significant other can turn into a HUGE. FREAKING. DRAGON! The possibillities are practically endless.

*Charline nods, thinking wicked thoughts*  Yes... such delightful possibilities...  *Charline has perverted thoughts!*   :U
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

jeffh4

Quote from: Kenji on January 10, 2010, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: John Roh on January 10, 2010, 11:42:05 AM
wait a second ... is Pyroduck naked

On the plus side, he does have a girl straddling him.
You know, if I professed my love to a woman, and the evening ended with me naked and her screaming ecstatically while straddling any part of my body, I'd consider that a win.

Pyro sure looks down-in-the-mouth, considering.   :)

AmigaDragon

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 10, 2010, 10:30:30 PM
EDIT:
Also, I've noticed a difference in Pyroduck's dragon form between the two times we've seen it:

I think what you're interpreting as "fluff" is his ears drooping in the former, swept back in the latter. Or maybe not (now that I looked again). Maybe in the latter, the cheek fluff is slicked back by the wind. Or maybe he has some variations in his available forms, not just one full dragon and one 'being' form.
(Has the base species of that 'being' form been definitively determined, or just speculated on?)
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Toric

This comic is epic, side-splitting win. That is all.
Yap by Silver.

Kabbalist

Quote from: Toric on January 11, 2010, 03:24:37 AM
This comic is epic, side-splitting win. That is all.

For that matter, so is the resultant forum discussion. I have yet to read the novel of The Neverending Story, but the movie has been a favorite of mine since I first watched it as a child. Seeing other folks geek out over it, or over the novel that it was based upon, is a real treat.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: gavinfoxx on January 10, 2010, 09:44:49 PM
Cmon! He's a DRAGON! Surely sex stuff wasn't the ONLY fun thing he (or you all I guess) could think of! Something has to be relevant that is PG, right?

Excuse me? The internet? Not sex stuff? erm...

This does not compute...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ArchTeryx

I read the original German edition of Die unendliche Geschichte.

{Pulls the paperback off of the shelf.}

Ah, yes.  Here it is:  p. 79.  Glücksdrache im Spinnennetz.  Fuchur ... as is name was in the original, was trapped in the web of Ygramul, "the Many."  Atréju (as spelled in the original Deutsch) saves Fuchur by, well, failing to save him... But that's another story, to be told some other time...

Glücksdrachen (a.k.a. "Luck-dragons") aren't the hokey fuzzy things from the movie version.  In the original, on pg. 74 at the start of the chapter, is a drawing containing what looks like a Chinese-style dragon.  The description given a few pages later (p. 79) is thus:  {candide begins rough-translating from german} "Luckdragons, in contrast, are creatures of air and warmth, creatures of unrestrained joy, and despite their gigantic size are as light as a summer cloud.  Hence they need no wings to fly.  They swim through the sky like fish through water.  From the ground, they look like slow-moving lightning.  The most wonderful thing about them is their voices.  Their voices ring like the golden roar of a giant bell, and when they speak softly, it's as if one is hearing this bell peal from afar.  Whoever hears such a voice will never forget it their entire life, and will tell their grandchildren of it."

So, there you have it.  Luckdragons:  wingless, shining-white, light as a feather, always happy and with a voice like the ringing of a clear, beautiful bell.

Die unendliche Geschichte is a wonderful book.  If you can read German even somewhat, you'll be able to follow it auf Deutsch.  Otherwise, see if you can get a good translation to read; it should be printed in two colors, red and green.

I've been lucky enough to have gotten my hands on an English-translated version.  Basically, Falkor closely resembled Haku from Spirited Away as described in that text, both in appearance and attitude: helpful, friendly, but enigmatic.  He was more or less an air elemental.

Pyroduck does resemble Falkor more then Haku.  He's simply too cheery to be otherwise. :)

joshofspam

So I guess Amber's story is a never ending story then?

Now for Dan to fight the NOTHING.

Ooooh! But I so tired.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Gornemant

Candide: Heh, I'm not a book guy, but I think I might give the book a try, the only thing I've seen so far were the movies. Oh, and it's totally your fault. :U
(I also totally didn't know that the book was originally written in German, go me!)

terrycloth

You know, the fluffy puppy dragon from the movie wasn't a bad attempt at fitting that description to imagery. They got the voice right, for sure.

Magician Faust

That "fluffy puppy dragon" is the spawn of Satan and nothing less!

candide

Quote from: Gornemant on January 11, 2010, 11:46:50 AM
Candide: Heh, I'm not a book guy, but I think I might give the book a try, the only thing I've seen so far were the movies. Oh, and it's totally your fault. :U
(I also totally didn't know that the book was originally written in German, go me!)

Definitely get the translation that archteryx mentions below, if he would be so kind as to provide some more info.  Any decent translation should be printed in two inks, red and green.

(FYI:  "candide" is my userid.  "Candide" is a novel by Voltaire, its eponymous main character, and the name of a musical based on that novel.  :mowsmile)

Quote from: archteryx on January 11, 2010, 07:53:20 AM
Quote from: candide on January 10, 2010, 06:54:00 PMDie unendliche Geschichte is a wonderful book.  If you can read German even somewhat, you'll be able to follow it auf Deutsch.  Otherwise, see if you can get a good translation to read; it should be printed in two colors, red and green.

I've been lucky enough to have gotten my hands on an English-translated version.  Basically, Falkor closely resembled Haku from Spirited Away as described in that text, both in appearance and attitude: helpful, friendly, but enigmatic.  He was more or less an air elemental.

Huh.  From what I recall of, Spirited Away, Haku was the kami of a creek/river, not of air.  But otherwise, yes - Haku does very much resemble Fuchur/Falkor/Falcor, and the latter is something of an air elementa.

BTW archteryx: 

Is the text in your English translation printed in red and green ink to indicate where the story's taking place?  I'm also curious how the translator handled the chapters, "from A to Z".  Translating is a tricky business as-is, nevermind trying to make the first letter of the first word of each chapter in the translation match the one in the original.

Could you also provide more info about that edition of your English translation, like publisher, year, Library of Congress and/or ISBN number, etc.?

Again, I want to emphasize:  if you can read German, get a copy of Die unendliche Geschichte auf Deutsch.  This isn't a 200 year old poem.  It's a modern fable, "for children of all ages," (pardon the cliche).  Michael Ende used fairly "easy" German, including onomatopoeia and everyday language (well, everyday German for 1979).

To read it auf Deutsch, I offer the following tips.  (1) Keep a piece of paper and pen/cil next to you.  (2) If you it a word that you don't know and can't figure out from context, jot it down, along with the page number where you saw it.  (3) Read the rest of the page, or next few pages, until you have no more than ten unknown words.  (4) Look up the unknown words in your German-English dictionary.  If you can't find a word, then it's a place, the name of a character, or onomatopoeia.  (5) Go back to the page where you came across the first unknown word and reread, this time with your new knowledge.

You won't encounter lots of unknown words.  Michael Ende reuses his vocabulary, so as you read, you'll be seeing fewer and fewer totally unknown words.

Heck, while browsing my copy, I hit words that I couldn't recall.  Take, for instance, "Perlmutterschuppen."  At first, my brain turned this into, "Pearl mother Schuppen," which I recognized as mother-of-pearl ... um ... Schuppen.  But what the heck's a Schuppe?!?  Well, it sounded to me like "scoop," and gave me the impression of a soup-plate.  Turns out that "Schuppen" are scales.

So, really, it's not that big of a task to follow my tips.  You'll get a lot from context.

For everyone else who doesn't know German well-enough, get the English translation recommended by archteryx.  :)

And while we're talking about translation:  the name of the book, Die unendliche Geschichte, is normally translated as The Neverending Story.  Now, "unendlich" can indeed mean "neverending."  But "unendlich" is also synonymous for "endlos" == endless.  So you could also translate the title as, "The Endless Story."  Also, the word "endlich," means, "finally", so "unendlich" implies un-finally, not-finally, lacking finality.  So the German title also has connotations of, "The Story Without End,"  "The Story that Never Stops."  The story that forever continues.

So, the translation "The Neverending Story," while correct, contains connotations not present in the original German title.  ("Neverending" is somewhat synonymous with "eternal," and "unendlich" definitely does not mean eternal.)

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Kenji on January 10, 2010, 11:44:18 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on January 10, 2010, 11:37:36 PM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 10, 2010, 04:16:10 AM
Heh, "Falcor" I was NOT expecting....   :giggle

Falcor is from what movie or novel?

:| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Ending_Story

And to think that Never Ending Story was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I should have remembered that.