12/27/09 [AS2 #83] - "Civil" Conversation

Started by Arcblade, December 27, 2009, 10:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcblade

I guess the demons don't know a lot about SAIA.  

Pity those two don't get along.  I like Kria's expression, though.  

Also: barely veiled hostility over tea.  Classic.  

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, I don't know. I thought Fa'Lina got on rather well with Kria...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jasonrevall

Fa'lina's pink is so calming. And I like the feelings and tension in this strip. Also i notice there are cookies, yeah cookies! :mowcookie
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Arcblade

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 27, 2009, 10:21:04 PM

Well, they're not killing each other.  Always a start. 

Pvblivs

"Your kind" seems rather harsh.  More importantly, that epithet actually includes Abel.  If that attitude is shared by any significant portion of the town, he has good reason not to want to stay.

Baal Hadad

I don't know who to feel sympathy for there....

Kria was being nasty to Fa'Lina, but Fa'Lina seems to deserve it based on a combination of her talking about Abel's choice plus that look she gives Kria at the end....   :erk

Scrap Fish

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Fa'Lina ever interacting with Kira during Abel's Story before.

There's nothing to stop them from getting along eventually - a good century could do wonders - but I think Kira seems to have a serious matrimonial complex over Abel. (Any psych majors out there that can say what I'm trying to say?) Anyway, we know that Kira is attached somewhat to Abel  already, as shown after the outpost attack. Could this just still be protective instinct instead of anything against Fa'Lina? (And 'cubis, and SAIA.)

Also, Fa'Lina seems to have the ability to loom ominously without eve having to stand up.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

Baal Hadad

I've come to notice these characters being referred to as "Lady"--Abel's mother, and now Kria....

Naldru

Whether or not they have heard much about SAIA, they probably don't trust anything they have heard.  Aniz didn't exactly improve the reputation of the cubi race.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Quote from: Scrap Fish on December 27, 2009, 11:08:25 PM
Kira
@Scrap I think you mean 'Kria'.

@Topic
I think it would be fair to assume that Beings are not the only ones that seem to misunderstand Cubi in general. I can't exactly see demons having good things to say about them either, when so many a book were written about the 'sexy, seductive soul-scarfing' cubi rather than the nice ones.

In my opinion, this seems to be a sort of 'pot calling the kettle black' situation.

"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

Madd the Sane

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Fa'Lina ever interacting with Kira during Abel's Story before.

There's nothing to stop them from getting along eventually - a good century could do wonders - but I think Kira seems to have a serious matrimonial complex over Abel.
You mean maternal, as in motherly.  Although she might marry him eventually :P
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Quote from: Madd the Sane on December 27, 2009, 11:35:32 PM

There's nothing to stop them from getting along eventually - a good century could do wonders - but I think Kira seems to have a serious matrimonial complex over Abel.
You mean maternal, as in motherly.  Although she might marry him eventually :P
Oh crap, what have you done.

YOU'VE GIVEN THE UNREGISTERED LURKERS MORE CRACK PAIRINGS TO SHIP KGJDFSOIGSJFDIOPGJOIF
"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

Janus Whitefurr

Fa'lina looks like Cruella de Ville.

</observation>
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Twist

"Do you really think that if I had to resort to brainwashing at my school that this pretence of a civil conversation would even be happening.  I assure you it woulden't"

I'm not really following what Fa'Lina is implying there.

I mean it sounds threatening and ominous and all, but what is being threatened or omened, I can not say.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Twist on December 28, 2009, 12:01:52 AM
"Do you really think that if I had to resort to brainwashing at my school that this pretence of a civil conversation would even be happening.  I assure you it woulden't"

I mean it sounds threatening and ominous and all, but what is being threatened or omened, I can not say.
She's basically saying that if she went through the trouble of brainwashing all her students, she wouldn't even be bothering with "chatting" with Kria, and just do whatever the hell she wants to with Abel.

Twist

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 28, 2009, 12:05:32 AM
"Do you really think that if I had to resort to brainwashing at my school that this pretence of a civil conversation would even be happening.  I assure you it woulden't"

She's basically saying that if she went through the trouble of brainwashing all her students, she wouldn't even be bothering with "chatting" with Kria, and just do whatever the hell she wants to with Abel.

I suppose that makes perfect sense.  Thank you.

My brain must not be working entirely correctly.

ooklah

no, I didn't quite understand it either.

I think Fa'lina's smile there almost borders psychotic. or I'm better then you. I get those two mixed up.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

PencilinHand

Quote from: ooklah on December 28, 2009, 12:36:36 AM
no, I didn't quite understand it either.

I think Fa'lina's smile there almost borders psychotic. or I'm better then you. I get those two mixed up.

It is a display of power.  Kria(WHY DO I ALWAYS WANT TO CALL HER KIRA!) is a demon and demons only respect powerKria herself gave a lecture to Jy on the subject of power.

tiggertoo

I think this qualifies as tea with dragons, in spite of there not being any actual dragons present. My interpretation of Fa'lina's comment was that if she *were* brainwashing her 'cubi students, she'd have such a power base that the power of Zinvth would be small potatoes in comparison (thus Fa'lina's "smile" - which you *really* don't want directed in your direction if you know Fa'lina).

jeffh4

I read different meanings from Fa'Lina's statements.

1) First, Fa'Lina is giving a threatening look with her eyes. Remember that for later.
2) Fa'Lina is reminding Kria that she is very powerful and not to be trifled with or more the point here, marginalized.
3) While being vague, Fa'Lina is implying that she could choose to end this conversation with extreme prejudice any time she chose to. Here's where the threatening look comes in, to make sure Kria gets the point.  Because it is vague, however, there is nothing Kria can do about it.  The threat is entirely implied.  

On a side note, Fa'Lina deeply carees about Abel's well-being, and sees Kria as another safety measure for Abel. She'd much rather have Kria alive and in her position as occasional protector of Abel.

On a completely separete note, I really like the composition of this page with the tea party background.

Kenku

Hehehe....the more I read about this meetup makes me wonder what would happen if Kria ran into Fa'Lina in the present time, or for that matter...if Abel while Lorenda was around  :mowhappy

Jasonrevall

Quote from: jeffh4 on December 28, 2009, 01:16:20 AM
"Do you really think that if I had to resort to brainwashing at my school that this pretence of a civil conversation would even be happening.  I assure you it woulden't"

I read different meanings from Fa'Lina's statements.

1) First, Fa'Lina is giving a threatening look with her eyes. Remember that for later.
2) Fa'Lina is reminding Kria that she is very powerful and not to be trifled with or more the point here, marginalized.
3) While being vague, Fa'Lina is implying that she could choose to end this conversation with extreme prejudice any time she chose to. Here's where the threatening look comes in, to make sure Kria gets the point.  Because it is vague, however, there is nothing Kria can do about it.  The threat is entirely implied. 

On a side note, Fa'Lina deeply carees about Abel's well-being, and sees Kria as another safety measure for Abel. She'd much rather have Kria alive and in her position as occasional protector of Abel.

On a completely separete note, I really like the composition of this page with the tea party background.

My interpretation is that if she had mind control over Abel, why would they be here in the first place? she would just make him stay at SAIA and never think about his mother, or maybe make him forget her. I think that is what she is implying. Why would she let Abel have this opportunity to see his mom before she died if she didn't care or only wanted control?
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Shachza

I'm having flashbacks of Babylon 5.

"The best thing for the young ones is to do exactly as I tell them to do."
"No, the best thing for them is to be able to make decisions for themselves."
/war on
            <-- #1 that is!

A. Lurker

There may well be a less subtle implication here, too. Notably, one along the lines of "If I was that good at brainwashing and wanted to stoop as low as you suggest, why would I even bother trying to convince you the hard way when I could just as easily have you eating out of my hand as well?".

Tapewolf

Quote from: A. Lurker on December 28, 2009, 05:09:30 AM
"If I was that good at brainwashing and wanted to stoop as low as you suggest, why would I even bother trying to convince you the hard way when I could just as easily have you eating out of my hand as well?".

Perhaps.  However, Fa'Lina has had 39 years to break Abel's will, and maybe 10 minutes with Kria.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 28, 2009, 05:12:50 AM
"If I was that good at brainwashing and wanted to stoop as low as you suggest, why would I even bother trying to convince you the hard way when I could just as easily have you eating out of my hand as well?".

Perhaps.  However, Fa'Lina has had 39 years to break Abel's will, and maybe 10 minutes with Kria.

it doesn't take much to screw with a mind, all it takes is to plant that little seed, and the rest can go on from there.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Scarydragon

Quote from: Turnsky on December 28, 2009, 05:19:06 AM
it doesn't take much to screw with a mind, all it takes is to plant that little seed, and the rest can go on from there.

I planted my own, and I must say it's growing quite well!
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

A. Lurker

Quote from: Turnsky on December 28, 2009, 05:19:06 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 28, 2009, 05:12:50 AM

Moreover, while I could be mistaken, from their conversation when arriving at the hospital I got the impression that Fa'lina and Kria knew each other already. Now, it is possible that that would be just by reputation and that this was their first actual encounter ever...but if not, that would give Fa'lina rather more than just "maybe 10 minutes" to work on at least 'helping' Kria get over her nasty 'paranoia' towards her. (I'm assuming here that cubi mind tricks do in fact work on demons, but there's been nothing to really indicate they don't -- for all his lack of practice, Dan had no trouble picking up Regina's thoughts in the main story not so long ago, so members of the demon race probably don't enjoy an automatic D&D-ish immunity to 'mind-affecting magic'. And Fa'lina is almost certainly anything but weak or inexperienced -- not to say that Ms. Soulstealer is, either, but I think you get my point.)

bradypodidae

I keep having a vision of Kria pushing Fa'Lina too far, perhaps by interfering with Abel's free-will choice of staying or leaving, leading to Kria (and us) being witness to the true power that is the Tr-Wing Fa'Lina. Demons only respect power, and 'cubi like to hold their cards close to their chest, and my impression is Kria has been trying to make a power-play at Fa'Lina since the encounter at the hospital began. Testing for strengths and weaknesses, if you will.

All of Kria and Fa'Lina's interactions until now probably have been business-orientated and very controlled.

Is there a Tr-Wing moment in the near future to rival Cyra's entrance?
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Crawldragon

It's an interesting question of which of the two would make a better parent for Abel; both have shown that they care very deeply for him: Fa'Lina by protecting him and his mother from Aniz and actively taking Abel into her care; and Kria by not killing him when she really should have. Of course, both of them have an abundance of cons.

Looking at how Abel turned out in the main comic as opposed to Lorenda, and Kria and Fa'Lina's overall behavior, it's really a choice between two evils, and either way it'll be up to the child to judge the parent. That's not a good position to be in.

The scale is tipped in favor of Fa'Lina, though, because presumably Kria still works for whoever scolded her over showing mercy (presumably Aniz, but let's assume for a moment it's not) but we have to remember that certain 'cubi tend to eat souls for a living, which again balances with the fact that demons demonstratedly have no loyalties, which only emphasizes the choice between two evils.
:explosion

Fa'Lina's just weird that way. I think it's safe to assume that they're really good friends but Fa'Lina would gladly crush her without hesitating.