[Art, Acting] StarRunner's Art Bin (Redesigning StarRunner)

Started by James StarRunner, July 24, 2006, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

James StarRunner

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42610031/

Many thanks to Kingofhearts for the outfit idea. I made some (very) minor tweaks, but I just loved his idea so much! So this is pretty much my ref pic for the secret santa project. Maybe I'll even get something this year!

I was kinda lazy with shading... I only did the hair, but there's many thing seeking my attention, so I'll finish it later.

And now to index my art thread before it gets locked... *index index index...*

Kenji

Just remember, after pushing the buzzer, you have to phrase your answer in the form of a question.

Nice job, Jamey ol boy. I like the eyes and hair especially.

James StarRunner

Ya, I actually looked at a hair shading tutorial this time and tried something new for eyes. The tutorial wasn't quite for that style of hair, but I thought I improvized pretty good... Could still use more practice though.

Zedd

Tapewolf

Nice.  Your anatomy seems to be improving, I think.  I'm not entirely sure about the tail to be honest, it's too smooth, should be more ragged and fluffy-looking.
How did you make the background?

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 06, 2006, 06:35:21 PM
Nice.  Your anatomy seems to be improving, I think.  I'm not entirely sure about the tail to be honest, it's too smooth, should be more ragged and fluffy-looking.
How did you make the background?
Ya, it was a little smooth to begin with, but it seemed to get smoother after scanning/colouring it. I still didn't think much of it though.

The background? Geez... Umm... I kinda went back and forth on it as I was just experimenting. What I think it basically came down to was rendered clouds (blue and white), glass filter (tiny lens), inverted the colours, added a transparent to solid gradient on top set to about 30% opacity (at least I think it was 30%...), inverted the colours, and tweaked the colour balance. There may or may not have been more filters that snuck in. I'm going to have to see if I can duplicate that effect as I find it an interesting texture.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on November 06, 2006, 10:59:04 PM
The background? Geez... Umm... I kinda went back and forth on it as I was just experimenting.

I ask because it reminded me of Gabriel's background here:

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=1490.msg57801#msg57801

James StarRunner

Hmm... I can sorta see the resemblance. Perhaps we used some similiar filters.

Zedd

James StarRunner

It's been too long since I posted here. Scanner's not working, so I decided to do some colouring since at least my photoshop's working. Credit for the line art goes to KingOfHearts (and what amazing line art!)

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

James StarRunner

Nikki

*staring at the awesome combination*

:eager

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 19, 2007, 12:53:54 AM
It's been too long since I posted here. Scanner's not working, so I decided to do some colouring since at least my photoshop's working. Credit for the line art goes to KingOfHearts (and what amazing line art!)

Awesome.  It reminds me very much of the colour prints of V for Vendetta - which isn't really too surprising since that was originally line-art art as well.

King Of Hearts

That's effin' sweet, man!

Dang! If I knew you were planning on coloring that, I would have cleaned it it a bit more.

Zedd

KarlOmega1

OOC: speaking of KOH, did he do Xze's avatar?

On topic: that...is a great piece of art, you two are great.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 19, 2007, 04:39:46 AMAwesome.  It reminds me very much of the colour prints of V for Vendetta - which isn't really too surprising since that was originally line-art art as well.
Dang, I love that movie!

Quote from: King Of Hearts on February 19, 2007, 05:29:43 AM
That's effin' sweet, man!

Dang! If I knew you were planning on coloring that, I would have cleaned it it a bit more.
I wasn't planning on colouring it till last night actually... but it's all good! I'm glad you're so impressed! It's mostly your work after all.  :3

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on February 19, 2007, 01:12:50 PM

I believe so. Can't remember when he did Xze's though... KingOfHearts certainly had the more difficult job on this one though, I just had to stay in the lines. :P

Nikki

indeed ^^

i had to edit it tho because the full drawing is...*ahem* Not..safe for the forum ^^;;;

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 19, 2007, 01:28:31 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 19, 2007, 04:39:46 AMAwesome.  It reminds me very much of the colour prints of V for Vendetta - which isn't really too surprising since that was originally line-art art as well.
Dang, I love that movie!

Never seen it.  I'm temped to scan in parts of the comic though.  Getting the rare BW strips for comparison would be hard, although I believe my Dad has a copy of it, since he was the one who introduced the family to it...

I'd recognise that style anywhere.  I was trying to find the full picture, but since it doesn't seem to be publicly available, I'm guessing it's kind of dodgy.
[As Xze has confirmed]

James StarRunner

Still a work in progress. I'm checking to make sure everything looks right before I finalize it. If anything looks out of place, please say so.

The forum shrunk it down a bit too. View the larger image from my photobucket to see it bigger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/jaguarstarrunner/eviljakobcolour.png

Oh ya, my scanner works again! Yay!

Zedd

GabrielsThoughts

interesting the silhouette looks familiar, although I can't place where from, I'm still recovering for some blunt force trauma.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Drake Manaweilder

The only thing that looks off are the eyes, they look a little bit too small, but it might just be me and my 1:10am mind... Headwings are another thought, though that's his call.

James StarRunner

Thanks guys.

Here's another coloured version of a pic KOH drew.

Oh and more crit would help for Jakob's pic (the one right before this one)

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on March 12, 2007, 01:14:33 AM
The only thing that looks off are the eyes, they look a little bit too small, but it might just be me and my 1:10am mind... Headwings are another thought, though that's his call.
Thanks, we thought something was off with his eyes. I can try to make them bigger, yet they are also supposed to be half closed. I'll try to find a happy medium. Thanks Drake!

(As for the headwings, those were opted out)

Tezkat

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 12, 2007, 01:16:03 AM
Oh and more crit would help for Jakob's pic (the one right before this one)

Okay...

Not only are the eyes a bit small, but they're also too widely spaced. Human eyes are around one eye width apart. Non-anthro wolves actually have about the same 1-1-1 eye spacing, but it appears closer to 1-2-1 because of the fact that less of their eyes are visible (exposing little more than the cornea). Here, you've given Jakob human-like eyes almost three eye widths apart, which looks quite odd.

There's a larger problem in the perspective on the head. Given the positions of the eyes and the ears, you'd expect him to be facing the camera. However, the position of his nose suggests a head tilt and more of a 3/4 viewing angle. The end result is an impression that someone bent his snout out of position. If you're redoing the eyes anyway, you should realign and reposition the right eye (his right, our left) so that it falls into the curve created by the left eye and the muzzle (and maybe move the ears a smidge to match).

The pose is pretty cool, though. :kittycool

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

King Of Hearts

nice work on the camo colors, though I think Paladin's face could be a bit brighter to contrast with his hair.

ack... my old art... the horror... now I got the urge to renew some more old stuff...