11/28/09 [DMFA #1064] - Insert Foot, begin Nom.

Started by Pretzel, November 28, 2009, 03:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pretzel

Aw, poor Dan! But yay, more Matilda backstory, even if it comes with a side order of pie en boca.  :animesweat

Madmann135

It gets me how Dan, of all people, finds the one exiled mythos that is nice, has a good business sense and a good judge of character.  By her profile she was exiled over disagreements with her family, disagreeing with family is more common than not.
I find it also funny how Dan was able to say "sorry I messed up" and/or "Sorry for the awkwardness" in a passing manner.

...now Mad needs sleep.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Madmann135 on November 28, 2009, 03:06:23 AM
It gets me how Dan, of all people, finds the one exiled mythos that is nice, has a good business sense and a good judge of character.  By her profile she was exiled over disagreements with her family, disagreeing with family is more common than not.
I find it also funny how Dan was able to say "sorry I messed up" and/or "Sorry for the awkwardness" in a passing manner.

...now Mad needs sleep.

Matilda's not exactly unknown, considering she's the first shop Mab decides to go to for home replacement, and has friends at the mall. And inversely, it's Matilda who first shows interest in Dan.

Or in other words, it's more of a coincidence of Matilda picking Dan, than of Dan meeting Matilda.

But Dan's improving at least, since he's usually not the one to spot and correct his own mistakes so fast.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Garsemor

I lold at that last panel. Very smooth way of saying "I didn't mean to offend you", I just hope we don't jump to Pyro and Alexsi or Abel leaving her past a mystery once again.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Garsemor on November 28, 2009, 03:34:33 AM
I lold at that last panel. Very smooth way of saying "I didn't mean to offend you", I just hope we don't jump to Pyro and Alexsi or Abel leaving her past a mystery once again.

Abel is unlikely to get involved since he has to stay at the inn. Though there're other worse candidates to break the party (Any of the Soulstealer family..)

[EDIT]Ack, misread. *baps self with trout*[/EDIT]
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

jeffh4

Can't say I blame Dan too much for this one. It WAS Matilda who brought the subject up of Blue Volcano Mythos, AND how they end up outside their home.  Good recovery though.  He's not pressing her for an explanation, which is polite.

Have to say I understand what it's like to suffer from Foot-In-Mouth Disease.

Lego3400

I'm more concerned with what their eating... The the frig kind of food ha bugs O.o

MT Hazard

Bugs are a quite common food in some countries, you can buy a packet of crickets like a packet of crisps, or grubs on a stick.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Lego3400 on November 28, 2009, 04:43:45 AM
I'm more concerned with what their eating... The the frig kind of food ha bugs O.o

Prawns? Lobster? Crab? Locusts in honey, even?

Insects are a valid food source - high in nutrients, and easily available. It's just your cultural conditioning that makes them off the menu...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dard

Oh, there are restaurants that serve bugs and grub.
I considered going to one once but it was simply too expensive. After all, they are not mainstream.

Anyway, I think Matilda was indeed who was going for that conversation. Whe wanted to bring it up. Okay, the first speech bubble could still be casual conversation about adventuring experiences, but Matilda's second one was really fishing for Dan's reply.

She intended to bring it up, so Dan needn't feel guilty. Of course, it is still awkward. I guess Matilda wanted to bring it up herself before it (inevitably) would become a topic.
Better get it over with sooner than later.

Lucheek

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 28, 2009, 07:44:12 AM
Quote from: Lego3400 on November 28, 2009, 04:43:45 AM

Prawns? Lobster? Crab? Locusts in honey, even?

Insects are a valid food source - high in nutrients, and easily available. It's just your cultural conditioning that makes them off the menu...

Prawns, Lobsters and Crabs are not insects. They are crustaceans. But they do share the group "Arthropoda" with insects. -whistles innocently-

I'm kind of surprised Matilda wasn't upset with the "quiet a nasty bunch" line.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lucheek on November 28, 2009, 12:21:57 PM

He was referring to the ones he fought rather than the race as a whole.  She seems to have understood that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 28, 2009, 12:31:18 PM
Quote from: Lucheek on November 28, 2009, 12:21:57 PM

He was referring to the ones he fought rather than the race as a whole.  She seems to have understood that.

In the comic where Dan said, "Oh my God, I'm a racist" she didn't come down on him for being so.  She just said, "Oh, I get it now!" meaning she understood what his problem was with Abel.

MT Hazard

The previous time he referred to the Blue Mythos as vicious was here perhaps she was been quietly dwelling on it ever since.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Attic Rat

There's nothing wrong with a people having the capability to be vicious. It may be necessary for survival, in fact. A trait that one person can admire in another under the right circumstance, as you can see in Dan's expression after she belches blue flames. I think he liked that.
The "foot-in-mouth" moment was all about her being exiled, and Dan's comment there was perfect. Nice bit of writing.

As for eating insects... I don't know. Most of their body weight is water and indigestible chitin, and what little might be nourishing would be the internal organs and their contents.  You'd probably have to eat a couple of pounds of grasshoppers to get the protein of a small hamburger patty. I'd guess the "bugs on a toothpick" is an appetizer, chosen for flavor rather than nutrition.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

ishidan

Quote from: Dard on November 28, 2009, 08:40:59 AM
I considered going to one once but it was simply too expensive. After all, they are not mainstream.
Yup.  Got a Korean supermarket near me that sells these: 
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/multimedia/2007/10/gallery_canned_foods?slide=6&slideView=3

Would you like some canned baby butterfly?

AmigaDragon

By her profile she was exiled over disagreements with her family, disagreeing with family is more common than not.

Maybe being nice was what got her exiled?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Reese Tora

considering that Dan's business as an adventurer was to seek out bad guys, it's not surprising that the elements of a rarely encountered species that he ran in to would be 'bad guys'.

Maybe Matilda was exiled for exibitionism?
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Draken

Smooth, Dan.  Reeeeeaaaal smooth.  Way to make the cute blue mythos that's constantly naked feel awkward.  :P

At least this gives a seway to her mysterious past.  And who knows.  We might get to see a toddler Matilda.  ^^

(And in doing so, melt the servers across the globe with sheer cuteness)
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Brunhidden

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 28, 2009, 03:26:34 PM
By her profile she was exiled over disagreements with her family, disagreeing with family is more common than not.

Maybe being nice was what got her exiled?

we as of yet have no clue what the taboos of their culture are. for all we know failure to wash hands after beheading someone is grounds for exile, or refusing an arranged marriage, crying in public, children outside of wedlock, children IN wedlock, disobeying a direct order from a stone idol, ecetera
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

thegayhare

Quotefailure to wash hands after beheading someone is grounds for exile

sorry just had to giggle

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: ishidan on November 28, 2009, 03:25:53 PM
Quote from: Dard on November 28, 2009, 08:40:59 AM
Yup.  Got a Korean supermarket near me that sells these: 
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/multimedia/2007/10/gallery_canned_foods?slide=6&slideView=3

Would you like some canned baby butterfly?

That's just... eww....  Though, The Old Wolf might eat those.

TheAuldGrump

I have done a very small amount of bug eating, mostly in school, when a teacher brought in some packaged and ready to eat bugs.

I actually liked the chocolate covered ants - the best way to describe them is a cross between a Crackle bar and Raisenettes. Chocolate covered bees was kind of like chocolate covered hay - a bit of crunch, then dust and no real taste, other than the chocolate. The locusts were kind of like squishy peanuts, and were the ones that I really could have lived without. :P Not really nasty, but on the verge of it. Squishy, with mysterious crunchy bits.  I really did not want to think about the crunchy bits.

The scary thing is that this was more than thirty years ago, and I still remember the tastes. (Rattlesnake on the other hand was a sad disappointment - it tasted just like chicken. A sad thing when you are ten years old, and are eating RATTLESNAKE! :P )

The Auld Grump, I seem to recall being the only one who could actually finish eating the locusts....

Chakat Blackspots

I dunno, I'm just not brave enough to eat any sort of bug.