10/26/09 [AS2 #75] - Fried Fa'Lina

Started by Lego3400, October 26, 2009, 03:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lego3400

THat's a sudden shift for Kira, I wan't expecting her to shift to being so warm and compasionate the moment they passed through the door. (Honestly I was expecting it before going through or not at all.

And I wonder why Fa'lina can't come in. I'm going to assume it's becasue they can't verify she really is Fa'lina but who in their right mind would dare try to impersonate someone so powerful. Speaking powerful, she could probably find a way to bypass those  runes if she really wanted to.

latei

I get the feeling that Kria doesn't trust Fa'lina. at all. Then again, from Kria's perspective I guess I wouldn't. Abel was violently kidnapped by a cubi, and has since been held in a Cubi acadamy, and has not been seen since. In her place I would definately view anyone associated with such an act with hostility.
Fa'Lina appears to be going along without a fuss to try and make it as painless as possible for Abel.

Succubus_1982

See! I knew Kria wasn't evil! Well okay she IS but she's the cuddly sort of evil, not the full on b**** kind. Well okay maybe she's that too. But only when necessary. But anyway.... Yay for Kria Hugs!  :boogie. I'd imagine they're the sorta hugs you don't resist if you want to live. Heh heh heh. Very powerful, could crush you in a moment. And yeh I'm definately sensing some bitterness towards Fa'lina. When I saw the whole 'these runes will fry you' bit I was like 'Whoa Kria. Harsh'. But I suppose at least she had the courtesy to warn her. If she'd really had homicidal hate for the pink and permed one she would have said zilch and let her burn.

I guess another week of inverted schedules then? Since in the 3 strips we got this week the story never actually ended up progressing that much.... ah well Amber does the drama so well, so its okay.

P.s does anyone else think 'Fried Fa'lina' sounds like one of those middle-eastern dishes you get in some takeaways? I do. Mmm Fried Fa'lina.....
I'm not lazy... I'm motivationally impaired

How to be an evil Overlord Part 1|Part 2

You can Skype me at lucy_locket82 but note me first or I might delete you

Garsemor

Kria just made a big jump in my list. I never taught I'd see her huging someone (unles it was a wresling match and she was trying to squish her oponent to death), it's nice to see her soft side.

jeffh4

Funny. I took Kria's actions completely differently.  She was "on the job" when Fa'Lina was around, and had to act 100% professional.  If she acted like she cared about Abel in front of Fa'lina, word would get around that she was "weak."  That's not something Kria can afford in her profession.

BTW, did we ever find out why Kria was able to hold the stone without it turning another color than blue?

Tapewolf

Awwww...

I guess this means that she'll be reasonably happy to see him if they meet in the main strip.

Quote from: jeffh4 on October 26, 2009, 04:21:14 AM
Funny. I took Kria's actions completely differently.  She was "on the job" when Fa'Lina was around, and had to act 100% professional.  If she acted like she cared about Abel in front of Fa'lina, word would get around that she was "weak."  That's not something Kria can afford in her profession.
I think that's a sensible interpretation.  As for the runes I doubt Kria herself is responsible for those, probably standard practice.

BTW, did we ever find out why Kria was able to hold the stone without it turning another color than blue?

No, but it would be useless if it did.  I'd say it either had an exemption for Kria programmed into it or a 5-second timer or something.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Any idea what the page quote is from?
(No Man alive. Who can ever survive. A girl with a prefabricated heart)

Edit: Apparently It is from "Dreams That Money Can Buy"(by BFI Films)
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Starcat5

I just had an evil thought. What if the gem itself isn't what would have reacted, but simply that if the gem didn't match up with the owner, those runes would have fried him, and THAT was the test? >:3
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Tapewolf

Quote from: starcat5 on October 26, 2009, 07:57:09 AM
I just had an evil thought. What if the gem itself isn't what would have reacted, but simply that if the gem didn't match up with the owner, those runes would have fried him, and THAT was the test? >:3

Perhaps, but it's easy to get wrong somehow and cause a major diplomatic incident.

Dard

Quote from: Lego3400 on October 26, 2009, 03:11:08 AM
THat's a sudden shift for Kira, I wan't expecting her to shift to being so warm and compasionate the moment they passed through the door.
I was.
Considering Kria's earlier affection for Abel I could only explain Kria's coldness in last strip with the possibility that she might confront Aniz or "some Cubi trickery". Now that this is out of the way, her affection for Abel and friendship to May becomes dominant.

Still, a lot of time has passed and I feared that she would now be just casual or professional. We never were told how much May the or people of Zinth knew what really happened and how much Abel was the victim. Well, at least Kria knows or thinks to know.

Jasonrevall

My guess would be that the stone doesn't start doing its job until activated by magic and switches hands from the activator to someone else.

Aww, hugs may not make everything better, but they sure help.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

joshofspam

Kria seems to have a very warm affection to people younger then her.

That might be the weakness that the shadow character mentioned. So while she might be all professional with her peers, she might be more friendly with children.

Though I wonder why she gave up her teaching job. Is it with a long life they tend to change job professions often or do demons tend to stick to one job and Kria is the exception?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Amber:

*awe*, *praise* *etc* ;-]

Really nice runes, there, too.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jigsaw Forte

My guess is the gem works only when in contact with enough skin (like a palm). Note how Kria was holding it rather gingerly, with her fingertips/ claws.

Janus Whitefurr

Awww. Nice to see some gentleness and compassion. I love the little "hug~" emote.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 26, 2009, 04:40:40 AM
As for the runes I doubt Kria herself is responsible for those, probably standard practice.

Not so sure.  I expect Zinvth and the hospital are taking extra precautions because of the threat on May's life, added to the proven danger that Aniz represents.  They apparently have May in a teleport-proof secure wing of the hospital, with enough security to fry a (most likely) tri-wing Cubi.

I'm surprised noone has commented on how Fa'Lina is actually bowing in the first panel.  Who would have thought she would basically genuflect to anyone at any time?

Referring to the title of this topic, what does one serve with Fried Fa'Lina?  A full-bodied Cabernet?  Perhaps a nice sharp cheese and Boarshead mustard?

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: jeffh4 on October 26, 2009, 11:51:43 AM
Referring to the title of this topic, what does one serve with Fried Fa'Lina?  A full-bodied Cabernet?  Perhaps a nice sharp cheese and Boarshead mustard?

Some fava beans and a nice chianti?
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

They apparently have May in a teleport-proof secure wing of the hospital, with enough security to fry a (most likely) tri-wing Cubi.

I'm not convinced.  I'd put a fairly good wager on Fa'Lina being able to go through that lot anyway if she so desired.  Of course doing that would not be helpful to Abel, or her apparent aims of promoting and nurturing her race.

QuoteI'm surprised noone has commented on how Fa'Lina is actually bowing in the first panel.  Who would have thought she would basically genuflect to anyone at any time?
That would be diplomatic, though.  I doubt it's like she's pledging lifelong fealty to Kria and her line  :B

Amber Williams

I'm surprised noone has commented on how Fa'Lina is actually bowing in the first panel.  Who would have thought she would basically genuflect to anyone at any time?

Part of being diplomatic is knowing when to appear humble to others.  

That and while she is a powerhouse all her own, not many creatures outside of Cubi actually have much knowledge of who she is other than the headmistress of a secluded Academy for Cubi.

Which in some ways is part of the problem of things. Cubi, by nature, tend to like to keep their cards close to themselves. Information is valuable and the less others know the better.  Demons on the otherhand, are very loud and proud and revel in their power.  As such, most demons tend to find Cubi very shifty and sneaky.  

Kria knows Fa'Lina is powerful. She doesn't know how powerful though.

tiggertoo

In fact, I suspect very few cubi really have any good idea how powerful Fa'lina actually is either. Her bowing to Kria is really her bowing in respect to the Elders of Zinvth, since that's who Kria is directly representing here. Considering what a Charlie Foxtrot Aniz created of relations between demons and cubi (which really didn't need any such "help" in that direction), it's the least Fa'lina can do to just be polite and not stir things up any more. Though I still think Fa'lina is mentally measuring her office to see where an Aniz-hide rug would look best.

Very sweet images of Kria and Abel. I think Abel needed that - both the hug and the knowledge that he was missed. Though I think this probably also confirms to him that his Mom is in fact dying.

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 26, 2009, 12:17:37 PM
I'm not convinced.  I'd put a fairly good wager on Fa'Lina being able to go through that lot anyway if she so desired.  Of course doing that would not be helpful to Abel, or her apparent aims of promoting and nurturing her race.

Yea, I'd second that bet. 

I expect the manufacturer of the rune gate has this in the product description:

Can stop anything from a rampaging dragon to a jealous tri-wing cubi to a herd of Class C Gryphons!  In case of product failure, please bring original receipt and identifiable portion of the remains of original purchaser to the manufacturer's facility for a full, pro-rated refund!*

* Some restrictions apply

Ted Schiller

(snip)

She is the official representative of Zinvth.  I assume she knows how to handle a Faeta Gem.

Unless there is only one.  In that case, she is also a citizen.

When Kria saw Fa'Lina, did she start thinking "To arms, citizens! Form your battalions!"?

With regards,
Ted

AmigaDragon

I'm wondering, will we actually get to see how old May looks after 39 years or is that more than Amber wants to do? How old was she when Aniz took Abel?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

SpottedKitty

In the "words to intrigue" category... who are the "everyone" worrying about Abel? It's been nearly forty years since the Aniz incident. Could May have recovered enough in that time to marry again, meaning Abel has a sudden batch of new family to get used to? Or could Kria mean others in her family? I can't help wondering how mindboggling it would be if she meant her brother...   :erk
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Rambon

Quote from: SpottedKitty on October 26, 2009, 04:37:00 PM
In the "words to intrigue" category... who are the "everyone" worrying about Abel? It's been nearly forty years since the Aniz incident. Could May have recovered enough in that time to marry again, meaning Abel has a sudden batch of new family to get used to? Or could Kria mean others in her family? I can't help wondering how mindboggling it would be if she meant her brother...   :erk

Personally I think "everyone" happens to be everyone Abel knows, is friends with, and/or worked with.

Lego3400

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 26, 2009, 10:07:23 AM

My guess is the gem works only when in contact with enough skin (like a palm). Note how Kria was holding it rather gingerly, with her fingertips/ claws.

Considering all of them have fur  on the palms of their hands skin contact would requife them to shave first. They don't have pads on their palms.

Succubus_1982

Quote from: SpottedKitty on October 26, 2009, 04:37:00 PM
Could May have recovered enough in that time to marry again, meaning Abel has a sudden batch of new family to get used to?

Very doubtful. May was getting on a bit and considered an old woman when he left so unless fertility in animals goes on longer than it does in humans I doubt she would be able to conceive again.

Or want to for that matter. I mean her husband and love of her life turned out to be an insane scheming Cubi who murdered someone infront of her, threatened her life and made off with their son.

I think that would be the kinda thing that would put someone off relationships for life....
I'm not lazy... I'm motivationally impaired

How to be an evil Overlord Part 1|Part 2

You can Skype me at lucy_locket82 but note me first or I might delete you

tikitori

Quote from: Succubus_1982 on October 27, 2009, 07:00:45 AM

Very doubtful. May was getting on a bit and considered an old woman when he left so unless fertility in animals goes on longer than it does in humans I doubt she would be able to conceive again.

Actually, people and very few other animals (Budgies, a couple of fish, some rodents, elephants, primates and a few others) are the weird exception to fertility. Most animals are fertile all their life. It's easy to think of pets that way because we make them sterile through operation or a decent breeder will know when to stop breeding their animal so much it affects their health.

Though since we're talking about anthromorphic animals here, it's probable that age has effected fertility in beings.

LionHeart

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 26, 2009, 03:03:12 PM
I'm wondering, will we actually get to see how old May looks after 39 years or is that more than Amber wants to do? How old was she when Aniz took Abel?
That would probably require knowing how old Abel was.

If we estimate that Abel was about twenty or so then, then May would have been about forty, give or take a bit.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Tapewolf

Quote from: LionHeart on October 27, 2009, 12:14:29 PM
If we estimate that Abel was about twenty or so then, then May would have been about forty, give or take a bit.

IIRC he was about 24 when he was taken.