A music recommendation

Started by Azlan, July 20, 2006, 09:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

Tastes most definitely vary, but for those who appreciate metal, I recommend you check out  Black Stone Cherry .

Kentucky, who would have thought?
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

bill

Not bad at all. The vocalist is interesting, which is always a good thing, and could help them in the long term. They seem to be able to play as well.

Azlan

Quote from: BillBuckner on July 20, 2006, 09:13:12 PM
Not bad at all. The vocalist is interesting, which is always a good thing, and could help them in the long term. They seem to be able to play as well.

Indeed, the ability to play is a lost art... it died at the beginning of the 90's...

I also recommend Black Label Society.

bill

I just bought Red by King Crimson today, in a narrow decision over Discipline. Starless is a wonderful track.

Azlan

A good choice, but I can see how that might be a close decision.  Ah, so much music and so little money...

bill

I was searching for that forever. My local music place stocks lots of Crimson, but not Red for some reason (Or for that matter, Court). I'll probaly get Lark's next, unless I get some Mahavishnu Orchestra first.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on July 20, 2006, 09:17:25 PM
I just bought Red by King Crimson today, in a narrow decision over Discipline. Starless is a wonderful track.

Red, is it?  I first got hold of Starless via Napster, to hear the 'tron introduction.  Unfortunately the person who uploaded it called it 'Starless and Bible Black'.  So I went out and got that album.  It was shit* and didn't have Starless.

My anti-walkthrough for the Ultima game 'Serpent Isle' is called 'Starless and Bible Black' in honour of the song which does not share that title.

*'Fracture' was good, and one or two other tracks.  I liked the ending on one of them where they run out of tape and you can hear it coming away from the heads, but it was still a waste of money IMHO

*EDIT*
Bill, I hope you aren't implying that you haven't got 'Court of the Crimson King' ;)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lysander

The main singer in Black Stone Cherry reminds me of the singer for Pearl Jam. In other words, pretty good.

A few I've found are DragonForce, Dark Moor, and Vanishing Point. I don't know what it means, but DragonForce is classified as Speed Power Metal, Dark Moor as Classic Symphonic, and Vanishing Point as Symphonic or something. They're all great, but I think I like Vanishing Point most of the three. :januscat
TytajLucheek

llearch n'n'daCorna

I really should go out and get some more KMFDM. WWIII was a wonderful album.

... and more Garbage, and probably see about some Dave Brubeck, and Concord Dawn, and Fat Freddy's Drop, and the Run Lola Run soundtrack, and Pitch Black, and...

... what? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 21, 2006, 03:55:55 AM
Quote from: BillBuckner on July 20, 2006, 09:17:25 PM

Red, is it?  I first got hold of Starless via Napster, to hear the 'tron introduction.  Unfortunately the person who uploaded it called it 'Starless and Bible Black'.  So I went out and got that album.  It was shit* and didn't have Starless.

My anti-walkthrough for the Ultima game 'Serpent Isle' is called 'Starless and Bible Black' in honour of the song which does not share that title.

*'Fracture' was good, and one or two other tracks.  I liked the ending on one of them where they run out of tape and you can hear it coming away from the heads, but it was still a waste of money IMHO

*EDIT*
Bill, I hope you aren't implying that you haven't got 'Court of the Crimson King' ;)
A friend of mine gave me a copy of Court, in dreadful quality. Not bad, though Moonchild is something to forget. Anyway, bought Larks' today. Easy Money is a wonderful track, as are the two parts of the title track. I was going to get Brave by Marillion, but they didn't have it.

bill

By the way, to make an actual recommendation, I uh, recommend Echoes by Pink Floyd. No, kids, Comfortably Numb isn't the best PF song  :evar . They never made anything like this again, though Animals and WYWH came close.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the wheres or whys
But something stirs and something tries
And starts to climb toward the light

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can

And no one calls us to move on
And no one forces down our eyes
And no one speaks and no one tries
And no one flies around the sun

Cloudless everyday you fall upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting me to rise
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
And so I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky

Lyrics don't tell the tale, though. Get this. It's on the underrated "Meddle" album.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lysander on July 21, 2006, 10:27:20 AM
A few I've found are DragonForce, Dark Moor, and Vanishing Point. I don't know what it means, but DragonForce is classified as Speed Power Metal, Dark Moor as Classic Symphonic, and Vanishing Point as Symphonic or something.

Bal Sagoth, my man.  Six albums of.. stuff.  I call it 'fantasy-metal' because most of it is set in this weird universe they've invented. 
Most of the time they don't sing, they narrate over the songs, it's really weird.

My favourite album is their second one, with the stupendously long titles.  It's called "Starfire Burning upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima-Thule".  The title-track reminds me of the game Serpent Isle, wandering around in the freezing snow, trying to invoke strange rituals in ancient ice-bound temples.
Probably my favourite track on that one is "As the Vortex Illumines the Crystalline Walls of Kor-Avul-Thaa" which has a fantastic keyboard orchestration bit in the middle - and lyrically it's like the Banes ritual in Serpent Isle as well :)

http://nice.purrsia.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=002600;p=1#000020

Their current album is 'The Chthonic Chronicles' which is pretty good stuff.

*EDIT* Fixed spelling of the sixth album.

Lysander

Sounds dang cool to me. I will have to check them out. :januscat
TytajLucheek

bill

Now listening: Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Argubly the first prog-metal album ever. Sounds a tad dated now, but Geoff Tate is the best metal vocalist I've EVER heard. Just listen to The Mission, for God's sake. (Use the player here: http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=3564)

QuoteThey'll say
My mission saved the world
And I stood proud
My mission changed the world
It turned my life around

bill

Someone just lent me "()" by Sigur Ros. Anyone have any tips on their music?

Wiggy

Quote from: BillBuckner on July 21, 2006, 10:17:01 PM
No, kids, Comfortably Numb isn't the best PF song  :evar .

All Pink Floyd songs are the best Pink Floyd song :evar .

I recommend Radiohead. Good band.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wiggy on August 03, 2006, 05:23:10 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on July 21, 2006, 10:17:01 PM
No, kids, Comfortably Numb isn't the best PF song  :evar .
All Pink Floyd songs are the best Pink Floyd song :evar .

Except anything from 'Final Cut', which is so depressing it makes you want to cut your wrists.  Or someone else's.

Quote from: Wiggy
I recommend Radiohead. Good band.
I don't know what they're up to nowadays.  Like many people I lost interest when 'Kid A' came out. 'Lucky' is among my favourite songs though.

The other day I heard "Pantagruel's Nativity" by Gentle Giant for the first time.  I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it before.  Ignore the first 30 seconds though.

Threshold have done some quite interesting prog-metal.  'Into the Light' on Psychedelicatessen has some nice moments, particularly the weird reprise at the end where the signal breaks up.  Critical Mass has some very good songs on it as well.

bill

Well, anyone who knows Genesis knows what I just listened to by my sig. Great album, except for "The Filler Room".

As far as recommendations go, I uh, recommend Animals by Floyd. Some of their best lyrics are in that album.

Leafar

dark side of the moon
top ten best albums ever!!!!!!!!! evar:

bill

Dark Side is a lovely album.  :cheers

Leafar

a lil gettin off topic...i will recommend a music i like:

dream theather - through her eyes

man...lovely too...

Wiggy

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2006, 05:48:39 PMI don't know what they're up to nowadays.  Like many people I lost interest when 'Kid A' came out. 'Lucky' is among my favourite songs though.
I have Pink Floyd's whole collection, and love each and every song. True The Final Cut has alot of weak songs, but I can get into them.

I also like everything Radiohead has done. Hail to the Thief is an awsome album.

Incubus is okay.

bill

Meh, there's better songs on Met2 than "Through Her Eyes".

Like "Home", for instance.

Netami

The music on my blog is the music I've been listening to for awhile. I dont have any concrete tastes. My friend's blog has been fulla 30 Seconds to Mars and A Perfect Circle, to name a few among the random J-Pop titles.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 03, 2006, 05:56:55 PM
Well, anyone who knows Genesis knows what I just listened to by my sig. Great album, except for "The Filler Room".
It has its merits.  It starts with the end of 'Lilywhite Lilith', which I think is the best part of that track.  'Waiting Room' also picks up at around 3 minutes.. but yeah, most of it is trash.  Somewhat like 'Moonchild' on Court of the C.K.

Am I allowed to recommend myself? :twisted

bill

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2006, 06:15:55 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on August 03, 2006, 05:56:55 PM
It has its merits.  It starts with the end of 'Lilywhite Lilith', which I think is the best part of that track.  'Waiting Room' also picks up at around 3 minutes, plus it's got the end of the previous track at the beginning.. but yeah, most of it is trash.  Somewhat like 'Moonchild' on Court of the C.K.

Selling out already, huh?

I also would like to recommend Simon and Garfunkel's entire disography, excepting the mediocre debut album. Stunning stuff. Parsley, Bookends, and Bridge are all absolutely flawless.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 03, 2006, 06:17:40 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2006, 06:15:55 PM
Selling out already, huh?
'Selling out' implies some kind of distribution chain. :)
I also would like to recommend Simon and Garfunkel's entire disography, excepting the mediocre debut album. Stunning stuff. Parsley, Bookends, and Bridge are all absolutely flawless.
I found them a bit depressing, although for some reason I always liked 'Blessed'.

Wiggy

Cream.

Can't go wrong with them.

Oh. And David Gilmour's On an Island album is truly great to any of you's that like Pink Floyd.

bill

S&G also have one of the scariest songs I've ever heard. 7:00 News/Silent Night. Amazing.

This is the early evening edition of the news.
The recent fight in the House of Representatives was over the open housing
section of the Civil Rights Bill.
Brought traditional enemies together but it left the defenders of the
measure without the votes of their strongest supporters.
President Johnson originally proposed an outright ban covering discrimination
by everyone for every type of housing but it had no chance from the start
and everyone in Congress knew it.
A compromise was painfully worked out in the House Judiciary Committee.
In Los Angeles today comedian Lenny Bruce died of what was believed to be an
overdoes of narcotics.
Bruce was 42 years old.
Dr. Martin Luther King says he does not intend to cancel plans for an open
housing march Sunday into the Chicago suburb of Cicero.
Cook County Sheriff Richard Ogleby asked King to call off the march and the
police in Cicero said they would ask the National Guard to be called out
if it is held.
King, now in Atlanta, Georgia, plans to return to Chicago Tuesday.
In Chicago Richard Speck, accused murderer of nine student nurses, was brought
before a grand jury today for indictment.
The nurses were found stabbed an strangled in their Chicago apartment.
In Washington the atmosphere was tense today as a special subcommittee of the
House Committee on Un-American activities continued its probe into anti-
Viet nam war protests.
Demonstrators were forcibly evicted from the hearings when they began chanting
anti-war slogans.
Former Vice-President Richard Nixon says that unless there is a substantial
increase in the present war effort in Viet nam, the U.S. should look forward
to five more years of war.
In a speech before the Convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in New York,
Nixon also said opposition to the war in this country is the greatest single
weapon working against the U.S.
That's the 7 o'clock edition of the news,
Goodnight.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 03, 2006, 06:44:02 PM
S&G also have one of the scariest songs I've ever heard. 7:00 News/Silent Night. Amazing.

Yep.  It put me off that carol for good :(