06/06/09 [DMFA #1011] - Possibly a little optimistic

Started by Tapewolf, June 06, 2009, 04:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garsemor

I just realized the most spin shivering thing. Now that DP survived the encounter, Amber can't just kill him off again for a long time since he has received the P.V.C. (permanent villain character) status, so we will have to listen to him piloting, arguing, ranting, etc... for a long time. The taught of having to listen to his speeches just scares me.

*hides under his bead*

Kabbalist

Quote from: Garsemor on June 06, 2009, 12:43:22 PM
I just realized the most spine-shivering thing. Now that DP survived the encounter, Amber can't just kill him off again for a long time since he has received the P.V.C. (permanent villain character) status, so we will have to listen to him piloting, arguing, ranting, etc... for a long time. The thought of having to listen to his speeches just scares me.

*hides under his bead*

I'm...not sure if that quite follows. That doesn't mean that I disagree with your conclusion, just that I think the reasoning behind it is a little bit off. Technically, Amber can just kill him off, since his role up to this point has been "recurring arc villain that exists so hero can prove his adventuring skills." For all we know, DP has been brought back primarily so that Dan has an acceptable target upon which to practice his new battle abilities in order (by plot continuity) to prepare him for greater challenges down the line.

On the other hand, Amber herself (if I may stretch the roleplaying metaphors) has gained at least a few levels of "Webcomic Author" since Dark Pegasus last appeared, and has started to tend more toward deeper characterization and plot continuity. Thus, it is probable that DP will hang around for a while and that his role won't be as superficial or shallow as it used to be. Mind you, he might still exist for Dan (or others) to prove his skills against, but perhaps Dan's planning and negotiation skills rather than his "shove a sword/wing through it" skills will be needed.

On a lighter note: when Kria finds out that Lorenda tricked her (assuming she wasn't aware of it all along), I think she'll be proud of her little girl. She'll probably also get as much embarrassment mileage out of the story as demonically possible and/or seriously work on some matchmaking. That's not to say "marriage," given how hers worked out, but I can definitely see Kria being enough of a meddler that she'd love setting up dates for her daughter.

Turnsky

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on June 06, 2009, 11:28:57 AM
:rolleyes yes....an alliance with the cyra clan. I hadn't realised dan had such close ties with the clan. :erk

oooh, total blonde moment thar.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Aganerral

Realting this to some other discussions, this seems to imply that there is more to the Cyra clan than jsut Cyra, Destania, and Dan.  Otherwise, what value would it have to DP?  Cyra is (apparently) in hiding, Dee has gone MIA, and Dan is just learning the ropes.  Cyra and Dee may be heavy hitters, but there's no value to DP in an alliance with cubi that are laying low.

And anything that causes Regina anguish is a good thing :)

Lego3400

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 06, 2009, 11:34:32 AM
Quote from: OminousShadow on June 06, 2009, 10:48:56 AM
DP is flipping off anyone who looks at today's strip. His middle finger is totally up.
That's a forefinger.

Actually considering DP only has 3 fingers that is his middle finger. IF it's not, well then he's physically incapable of
Quote from: Netrogo on June 06, 2009, 11:30:32 AM
Close ties? His grandmother IS Cyra.
I was under the impression that she was his like his Great great ... great great Grandmother but people have been calling her Dee's mother so I'm a bit confused

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lego3400 on June 06, 2009, 01:40:26 PM
I was under the impression that she was his like his Great great ... great great Grandmother but people have been calling her Dee's mother so I'm a bit confused

In 1003, Dan calls her his grandmother.  Not concrete, but I would have expected Dan to say "Great-great-and-so-on Grandmother" or something like that if it was a less direct relationship.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

JackTheCubiWolf

Actually, Cyra said she was his grandmother. Dan didn't say anything about it.
I'm back, and tired.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2009, 01:50:02 PM

In 1003, Dan calls her his grandmother.  Not concrete, but I would have expected Dan to say "Great-great-and-so-on Grandmother" or something like that if it was a less direct relationship.

Or it's like the Belgariad with Belgarath. They're all grandchildren, no matter how many generations seperate them. Repeating all the "great's" probably wears, even for an immortal. Eventually there'd be the "Descendant event horizon" at which reciting the correct number of great's to the descendant would take long enough for him/her to die of old age. :p
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Toast

Oh god, I had to giggle at this one. Poor Regina, she has the worst luck. :)

Someday she's going to get sent to buy some ale or something and show up in Lost Lakes.

DMFA reader since 2000!

Naldru

Going to Lost Lake for refreshments would be more than bad luck.  It would also amount to having a short memory since that was apparently where she tricked Dan, injured Wildy, and killed twelve people.  However, Aliph visiting Lost Lake for a meal would be interesting.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Garsemor

Quote from: Naldru on June 06, 2009, 02:37:55 PM
Going to Lost Lake for refreshments would be more than bad luck.  It would also amount to having a short memory since that was apparently where she tricked Dan, injured Wildy, and killed twelve people.  However, Aliph visiting Lost Lake for a meal would be interesting.

Imagine DP and Regina going to Lost Lake for a meal. It the clash of power between DP and Regina against Dan and his friend's + Wildy's temper could cause an apocalypse or at least an earthquake.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Garsemor on June 06, 2009, 03:13:00 PM
Imagine DP and Regina going to Lost Lake for a meal. It the clash of power between DP and Regina against Dan and his friend's + Wildy's temper could cause an apocalypse or at least an earthquake.

I think it would be over very quickly.  You'd have two demons against:

Wildy (Being?)
Alexsi (Being with 'Cubi-made magical weapon)
Jyrras (Being with illegal weapons factory)
Dan (incubus adventurer)
Abel (highly-trained incubus)
Mab (Fae)
Pyroduck (Dragon)
...and probably a few other exceptionally dangerous individuals besides.

Naldru

My vision is Regina and Aliph versus Wildy, Dan, Abel, Pyroduck, Mab, Azlan, and Jyrras (in a giant robot).  Then Alexsi would come up and say "If you are going to fight, take it outside".

They would go outside and Aliph would say "She's scary".
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2009, 03:20:12 PM
Alexsi (Being with 'Cubi-made magical weapon)
Okay, I know Alexsi's mallet is magical, but who said a 'Cubi made it?

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 06, 2009, 03:23:48 PM
Okay, I know Alexsi's mallet is magical, but who said a 'Cubi made it?

My bad - looks like it was given to her by Quintinga, not Destania.

Keleth

And same with everything else, The Cubi are the best at making every weapon, baked good, cake and thing in Furrae. As we all know no other race can make magical things.

. . Wait what?
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on June 06, 2009, 03:38:53 PM
And same with everything else, The Cubi are the best at making every weapon, baked good, cake and thing in Furrae. As we all know no other race can make magical things.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but I'll hazard a rough guess that you're referring to my earlier post.  If so, my retraction has either gone unheeded or uncomprehended so I'll spell it out nice and clearly:

When I described Alexsi's hammer as "'Cubi-made" it was because I thought Destania - who is a 'Cubi - had given it to her.  In actual fact it was (if my interpretation of the Cast page is correct) left to Alexsi by her biological mother, who was an Amazon and not a 'Cubi.

...if you were referring to something else, my apologies - but you probably want to give it more context.

Keleth

My point is this.

Just because someone, let's say my mother in this case, hands me a iPod for my birthday.

Just because she handed me an iPod, does not mean she made my iPod. Nor necessarily was it made by white people in North America.

Just because cubi give other people gifts, doesn't necesarily they're made with cubi magics or somehow innately cubi.
Help! I'm gay!

llearch n'n'daCorna

. . Wait what?

I believe the implication is that it's somewhat more magical than your average Being-made weapon, not that it's better than most others...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on June 06, 2009, 03:48:44 PM
Just because cubi give other people gifts, doesn't necesarily they're made with cubi magics or somehow innately cubi.
Since it was apparently given to her by another Being, it was likely made elsewhere and could be the product of any Creature race or possibly even a Being mage, if it is enchanted and not a spell Alexsi is using.

However, if it had been given to her by Destania (my original assumption) - it would almost certainly have been of 'Cubi manufacture, or at least enchanted by a 'Cubi.  After all, she appears to have been in SAIA for approximately 7000 years.

EDIT:
I take that back about the hammer being known-magical - it's not clear if the effect is a property of the hammer or Alexsi.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2009, 03:45:18 PM

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but I'll hazard a rough guess that you're referring to my earlier post.  If so, my retraction has either gone unheeded or uncomprehended so I'll spell it out nice and clearly:

When I described Alexsi's hammer as "'Cubi-made" it was because I thought Destania - who is a 'Cubi - had given it to her.  In actual fact it was (if my interpretation of the Cast page is correct) left to Alexsi by her biological mother, who was an Amazon and not a 'Cubi.

...if you were referring to something else, my apologies - but you probably want to give it more context.

Umm, we've seen four Amazons in canon.  Skirmish, the archer in Merlitz's old adventuring group, who certainly appears to be a Being. And the three that Dan met on his first adventure.  All of whom were Creatures (Dragon, Mythos, Undead).  While this is not  a large enough sample to draw any conclusions about what proportion of Amazons are Beings vs Creatures, it does establish they can be either.

It would explain why Alexsi and Dan have such a strong family resemblance, despite being half-siblings, if Quintinga was a Succubus too. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on June 06, 2009, 05:15:24 PM
Umm, we've seen four Amazons in canon.  Skirmish, the archer in Merlitz's old adventuring group, who certainly appears to be a Being. And the three that Dan met on his first adventure.  All of whom were Creatures (Dragon, Mythos, Undead).

Point.  Though to be honest, I'm not sure why we're discussing Quintinga so ardently in the first place.  She's only related to the topic (DP and Regina) by the narrowest of threads...

Kabbalist

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2009, 05:21:22 PM

Point.  Though to be honest, I'm not sure why we're discussing Quintinga so ardently in the first place.  She's only related to the topic (DP and Regina) by the narrowest of threads...

I believe that this is, in fact, a tangent. The topic of "what happens if Aliph and Regina pop up at Lost Lake and Alexsi scares them into taking any fighting outside" (or the discussion of the resources the Lost Lake crew has to call upon) led to a mention of her Hammer, and thus the current discussion of its origins and speculation about Alexsi's mother was sparked by one indignant reaction to the assumption it was of 'Cubi manufacture.

To bring this back around to speculation about possible future encounters between Dan and Dark Pegasus/Regina, here's my guess: If DP and/or Regina showed up at the Inn as paying customers, Alexsi might forbid any attacks on them while they are technically entitled to professional hospitality. That protection would be forfeit if DP/Regina got unruly, so we might just wind up with a "temporary truce" situation and...a real conversation!?

kaskar

8)  I keep on wondering if the strength of this demon line is based on some recurring female traits, or intelligence...

(  By the way, I was just wondering if Dan had ever paid back that $ 10.00 that he owed that nice red dragon who was guarding D.P. 's place once ...  )

8) Just Hanging Around ...

bdplague

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 06, 2009, 01:58:08 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2009, 01:50:02 PM

Or it's like the Belgariad with Belgarath. They're all grandchildren, no matter how many generations seperate them. Repeating all the "great's" probably wears, even for an immortal. Eventually there'd be the "Descendant event horizon" at which reciting the correct number of great's to the descendant would take long enough for him/her to die of old age. :p

Don't forget Aunt Pol. <3

DUDE. DURNIK IS LIKE THE MALE ALEXSI.

</nerd>

But really, great strip. I love seeing more of DP and Regina. She's so cute in that snotty brat kind of way. :D

Garsemor

Quote from: bdplague on June 06, 2009, 10:02:39 PM
But really, great strip. I love seeing more of DP and Regina. She's so cute in that snotty brat kind of way. :D

Yes cute like a little button on a rattlesnake. She's only cute if your not next to her, if you are that I am sorry for you.

*starts dinging a grave*

Edit:
That would be for you, if you don't learn to trim your quotes.
  -- llearch

AmigaDragon

Insane, whacked out theory with no basis...

Like Cid, Aliph was killed by Aniz and his identity stolen. Since shape shifting can't hide clan marks, it's been dyed or painted black.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen