04/13/09 [DMFA #992] - Angry Abel and Apologetic Aci

Started by Jairus, April 13, 2009, 02:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kibin

Quote from: inuhanyo on April 16, 2009, 12:34:44 AM
Quote from: terrycloth on April 15, 2009, 06:06:17 PM
Holding an atmosphere doesn't seem to be very difficult in the star wars universe -- I mean, for all we know, space is full of air in their universe. It would explain a lot!

Like, you know, the time where they flew the millennium falcon into a hole in an asteroid, opened the door, got out and walked around with tiny little gas masks as their only protection. All the ships being streamlined and/or looking like they're about to fall apart -- how in the world could the Millenium Falcon still be airtight? And all their docking bays are open to space...

No, wait, there was one episode of the clone wars tv series that confirmed that space had vacuum. Foo.

The docking bays use force fields to retain atmosphere while letting ships pass through.  OK, they didn't think out carefully the implications of that, but they do have a hand wave.

A lot of their ships take off and land on planets with atmospheres, hence the need for streamlining.  Besides, streamlined ships look cool.

And remember the MST3K Mantra: "It's just a movie, I should really just relax."
Also Bellisarios Maxim: "Don't examine this too closely."

It's Space Opera, they didn't do the research carefully.  Yeah, if I think about, it bothers me too.

Actually, star wars and star trek forcefields in the hangar bar are actually a case of real life technology. Theoretically with enough energy, you could make a plasma window which keeps out atmosphere, but with a little pressure would let a ship go through just fine. And therefore achieving the exact same effect as star wars forcefields.

In the case of them walking around with masks, it was already pressurized outside(or something, it was a big asteroid.) Thus they only needed oxygen... at least I think that was the explaination in the movie.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Kibin on April 18, 2009, 01:25:17 AM
Actually, star wars and star trek forcefields in the hangar bar are actually a case of real life technology. Theoretically with enough energy, you could make a plasma window which keeps out atmosphere, but with a little pressure would let a ship go through just fine. And therefore achieving the exact same effect as star wars forcefields.

Plasma window or forcefield, once a ship pierces it, you now have a situation where part of the hull is exposed to vacuum and an opposite section is still under air pressure.  The imbalance results in a net force on the ship, pushing it out of the bay.  Trying to enter the bay, the same situation occurs, except the ship now has to fight the force to get to where its pilot wants it to go.  Even at 7 PSI, this can add up to a lot of force.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: ishidan on April 18, 2009, 01:00:32 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2009, 03:20:12 PM
Quote from: Garsemor on April 16, 2009, 03:16:55 PM
I have compiled a list of things we are most likely to see:
1. Able shredding Fi.
Since the subtitle on that strip is "He won't really do it", I beg to differ.  The others are all plausible...

Also, it's "Abel"   >:3
You went after that, and not "driods"?

What can we say? There's apparently a bunch of people here suffering (or making us suffer) from dixlesya. :mowwink
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

ishidan

I think the biggest problem with Jarjar was his accent-he, and all of his race, sounded like somebody speaking to a toddler.
Considering that his biggest fanbase is the old school "I was there when Episode 1 opened" crew, suddenly getting a faceful of baby talk was GRATING.
Mace Windu?  Dude.  Samuel.  L.  Jackson.  With a pimp lightsaber.  Some of us were hoping there'd be a scene where Mace hangs out at Mos Eisley and a husband/wife pair of idiots pull out blasters and try to rob the place. 
Yoda:  This may be where he got the idea that a character with a verbal tic would be amusing.  Hey, he may sound backwards in English, but his syntax still makes sense.  We all have old and half-senile relatives that way talk they.  Especially those of us whose elders grew up speaking another language, for which his syntax may sense make.  Oh and seeing CGI Yoda flip out and throw down, before years on Dagobah turned him into Creaky Cane-Needing Old Fart, certainly high on fanboy list.
CGI Jabba:  You're pushing here, but most of us also have relatives that have gone from obese to morbidly obese, especially as their careers had them driving more desks, so we can still dig it.
Ewoks:  Perhaps how he thought that a character aimed at children would be acceptable.  After all, they're small and fuzzy!  Well yes, but they also make no attempt to speak English, and fight like professionals-well executed ambushes into log mantraps, stealing speeder bikes and piloting them better than their original owners, perfectly fired barrages of arrows or thrown rocks, the courage to tactically maneuver under stormtrooper blaster fire.

Then there's Jar Jar.
Yoda's speech tic was ignorable because, after all, he's the last living Jedi sifu by the original series, and already a senior master by the prequels.  Sure he can't speak English, but if you want to learn how to kick ass, you'd better learn how to think like he does.
Jar Jar is a walking blunder with the voice of a baby.

inuhanyo

Quote from: ishidan on April 18, 2009, 04:13:12 AM
Ewoks:  Perhaps how he thought that a character aimed at children would be acceptable.  After all, they're small and fuzzy!  Well yes, but they also make no attempt to speak English, and fight like professionals-well executed ambushes into log mantraps, stealing speeder bikes and piloting them better than their original owners, perfectly fired barrages of arrows or thrown rocks, the courage to tactically maneuver under stormtrooper blaster fire.

Makes a lot more sense if you don't think of them as Rousseau's idyllic natives, and think of them as pack hunters, who have to trap and kill much larger prey animals than they are.  I.e. humans vs mastodon herds.  Who just might make war on each other at times.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: inuhanyo on April 15, 2009, 02:06:05 AM
Quote from: tiggertoo on April 15, 2009, 12:33:55 AM
I hope we do get to see Matilda soon - she's one of my favorites. Maybe she'll bring Dan some chicken soup to make him feel all better.

Having lost a lot of blood, I think Dan will actually need to eat something.  I hope Mab doesn't try brownies.
Miss Mab?  Microwavable haggis.  :)

With regards,
Ted