05/09/09 [DMFA#999] The stuff that nightmares are made of.

Started by Corgatha Taldorthar, May 09, 2009, 04:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cvstos

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 09, 2009, 06:10:36 PM
somehow Dan looks more badassey awesome today.
I think Cyra is going to teach Dan a few things while he sleeps.

I vote for Hado #88, Hado #90, Bakudo #61, and a blue Cero. [Bleach references, two attack spells, a binding spell, and a huge attack spell.]

OK, enough with the Bleach references already. In all seriousness, it would be kinda cool if he woke up with a few additional ranks/points in his "awesome" skill. I really wanted to see Dan crush DP. (Can't help but think of Dan using one of the Tales' series Mystic Artes on DP, maybe Savage Wolf Fury. Something big, flashy, and full of win and pwn.)
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Brownie

QuoteRegina's smirking face is fantastic.
Agreed. Though I still don't think it's as good as Wildy's grins. Nothing can beat those. Excpet the 1000th Comic!

Janus Whitefurr

Oddly, the first thing that came to mind reading this comic was Christopher Lee's voice as Discworld's Death, making a comment on the nature of narrative causality. "Oh. Drama."
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tsunari

Since everyone is jumping on Cyra who thinks it's not going to be Cyra?  Maybe it will be Pyroduck?  or Some other dragon?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tsunari on May 09, 2009, 06:53:51 PM
Since everyone is jumping on Cyra who thinks it's not going to be Cyra?  Maybe it will be Pyroduck?  or Some other dragon?

It could be anyone, but I'm thinking it's more likely a 'Cubi, since they seem to be encouraging him to accept his heritage.  With the exception of Pyroduck, the dragons want him dead - helping him would be counterproductive.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tsunari

Well I doubt it's Cyra as they say maybe you need a friend who will help you help yourself.  Seems to be someone Dan would at least already know.

M

Man, this is getting pretty exciting. I can hardly wait for the 1000th comic. :D

I'm inclined to believe it's Cyra in the last panel, because of the new fancy text and the fact Dan's clan mark just manifested. Plus it'd be just plain cool for her to show up.

But it could be Destania as well, because the dialogue reminds me of how she she taught Abel to survive on his own, and Dan seems to beating himself over his perceived lack of independence.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on May 09, 2009, 05:08:45 PM
Whoever it is invading (controlling?) Dan's dream, I would seriously suspect a stern "embrace your Cubi side" and take your lessons NOW lecture is in the play.

For all we know, if that is Cyra (the font is sort of implying someone who is unimaginably powerful) Dan could be getting an education all in the dreamscape.  Time's got no meaning there, so Cyra has all the time she wants to teach him what she might want to teach him.  If it's her will, she could dump the entire SAIA curriculum on him, I wouldn't put it past her power.  Dan's surely has a new set of motivation to learn.

Could explain Fi's sudden powerup.

Caswin

My first thought was actually Direlamyl.  Apart from the fact that that's probably the least likely person anyone has suggested so far, being part of another comic and all, it scares me that I spelled her name right on the first try.

But no, I think I'll go with an actual DMFA character.  It's Neni with her tail dyed blue changed blue replaced with a blue tail and woe betide any person, thing or concept that tries to tell her she can't do that.

...or Cyra.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Lucheek

I don't know...My guess is Dee. How many blue cubi can there be?

Cvstos

Quote from: Lucheek on May 09, 2009, 07:10:47 PM
I don't know...My guess is Dee. How many blue cubi can there be?

Many. Maybe all of them. Maybe none of them. That number changes all the time depending on the moment. Why?  :shapeshifters
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

iownpants

Wow, Dan, you, uh, I really don't think you should be taking your defeat that badly.  I mean, come on, Regina's not even the one who beat you.  What a depressing dream :cry
I'll put twenty imaginary dollars on the Cyra pot.  Though, come to think of it, it could be anyone.  I doubt it's Destania just because this doesn't seem to fit her personality.  Abel, well, he's a bit preoccupied.  Pyroduck?  Um, don't think he can enter dreams but who knows.  So, yeah, probably Cyra.  Bring on the badass 1000th page reveal! (or copout) :mwaha

Raskahn

Comic #1000.................Questions from the readers!

Let's just pray it's an epic one but,
it would make the cliffhanger all that more exciting  :P

jeffh4

In psychological terms, it is Dan's superego that is manifested in Regina, telling him what a failure he is.  Dan's body would be the id, inclined to action and not thought.  And the mysterious stranger would be the psychotherapist!

As long as we don't get all sorts of "horse" (if you've read Freud) and Oedipal references, I'll be happy.  

Frigid

Maybe this mysterious blue-ish character is a new character that Amber is introducing or maybe even someone that Dan's mind is making up. He could possibly have a (somewhat small) desire to be 'Cubi somewhere in that thick head, and it's manifesting as someone trying to convince him to embrace the 'Cubi ways.

But yeah, I hope it's Cyra  :eager

Janus Whitefurr

What was that instructional comic about the Cubi race that happened to show that it's not just an incubus or succubus that can roam the dreamscape?

</innocent theory>
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Madmann135

Quote from: Cvstos on May 09, 2009, 06:22:35 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on May 09, 2009, 06:10:36 PM
somehow Dan looks more badassey awesome today.
I think Cyra is going to teach Dan a few things while he sleeps.

I vote for Hado #88, Hado #90, Bakudo #61, and a blue Cero. [Bleach references, two attack spells, a binding spell, and a huge attack spell.]

OK, enough with the Bleach references already. In all seriousness, it would be kinda cool if he woke up with a few additional ranks/points in his "awesome" skill. I really wanted to see Dan crush DP. (Can't help but think of Dan using one of the Tales' series Mystic Artes on DP, maybe Savage Wolf Fury. Something big, flashy, and full of win and pwn.)

Personally if Dan learns a Cero I want it to be a Cero Oscuro.
Though if he was in bleach he would probably be a Vizard considering if he was a Shinagimi he would have undergone hollowization as in DMFA he started out as a demon slayer but now is a demon himself...  Which makes me wonder what kind of zanpato he would have, probably power class.

Yes I watch and read bleach, I have yet to hear of a Cero Azul.

Oh and as a side note I hope we get to see Cyra in the next episode.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

OminousShadow

I say it would be awesome if this is Cyra and she smacks it into Dan's head that taking Cubi training seriously won't change who he is and also tell him not to be a baby and start using magic again. Combine that with how Dan reacted to Abel using magic and his wing tentacles to use many swords, I say there would be plenty of awesome ass-kicking to be handed out
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Cvstos

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 09, 2009, 09:06:28 PM
Which makes me wonder what kind of zanpato he would have, probably power class.

Yes I watch and read bleach, I have yet to hear of a Cero Azul.

I haven't seen a Cero Azul in the manga or anime but you have to admit it'd be cool looking (and awesome name for that, btw!!). Closest so far is Gran Rey Cero (sp). I was just going with the blue theme. And yeah, definitely power class.

Can't wait for the next comic. And I do hope Dan "wakes up" stronger. Definitely an awesome trope when used right.

Wanderer

Geez, Dan, self-confidence issues much? "A new set of limbs and tricks" is nothing to sneer at, given that you came very close to kicking her butt this time. And you would have succeeded, too, if not for the indestructible door and that meddling pegasus fellow. You're clearly more capable than you were last time you two fought, so take it easy.

Now. I approve of the idea of this interloper being Cyra, especially since Dan's clan marking has just manifested. However since almost everyone seems to be saying that, I have an overwhelming desire to choose another option just to be different. So, I'm going to say it's the spirit of an ancient goddess that is inhabiting Dan's body and will lead him on a great quest to save the world from an army of demonic flesh-eating gerbils.

Indy

Well, if we're doing crazy guesses, mine is that Pai Gon's come to "moderate" Dan's life because of all that blood from earlier.  :U

That or Murtagoy's playing games again.

N-Cat

Umm...I would say it's Cyra, only that's impossible.  Why?  Because she's wearing clothes! Yeah, 20 bucks into the Cyra pot.

Ragesquid

Hmm...interesting, indeed. I love dream sequences..and this one is truly great, so far. As for Cyra? It could be..but Amber is in charge, and I'm not a big speculator.

I mean..it'd be cool, yes..but even better if she showed up in person, rather than a dream.

inuhanyo

Well, there is one other character we know of, who would be interested in Dan's becoming more capable of defending himself and others.  Who would have the power to enter and influence his dream, who is nearby.

Mab.

But I'm betting on Cyra, myself.

dream Regina: You needed your Fae friend to bail you out."

Probably some truth to this, but as I've pointed out before, if that first fight between Regina and Dan had been one-sided, Regina wouldn't have been afraid to face an unarmed Dan.  So Dan is being overly hard on himself here.  And as pointed out earlier, it shouldn't be Dream-Regina criticising him here, but Dream-DP.  For losing his temper. (Which, in fact, the real DP did during the fight.)  That's the mistake Dan made. 

Which opens up the possibility that the whole dream is being manipulated to push Dan towards becoming all the Cubi he can be.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 09, 2009, 05:45:40 PM
That blue thing in the last panel - it may just be a curtain, but the way it's textured is making me think of a dog's tail.

Well, the frontmost thing appears to be light blue cloth, the next thing behind it doesn't have enough definition to tell, and the last thing looks like hair.  Then there is the lighting effect.

Cyra wears her hair long, doesn't she?

Ted Schiller

You only begun to discover your power.
Return to SAIA, and they will complete your training.

If you only knew the power of the Light Side.
Don't you mean the Dark Side?

I was on the Dark Side.  The Light Side is better. 
Don't tell Fa'Lina I said that, though.

:rolleyes

Enough of that nonsense.
Onward to the Eiffel Tower of DMFA.   :mowhappy

With regards,
Ted

Baal Hadad

I cannot for the life of me remember what Cyra looked like or where I saw her before....  :(

Could someone direct me, please...?

Frigid

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 10, 2009, 01:27:08 AM
I cannot for the life of me remember what Cyra looked like or where I saw her before....  :(

Wiku Wiki

Garsemor

It has got to be a cubi, that is certain. It is most likely from Cyra clan because of the blue hair and seeing how a Fi got a power boost I'm 99.9% certain it's Cyra.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Frigid on May 10, 2009, 01:30:13 AM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 10, 2009, 01:27:08 AM

Wiku Wiki

Thanks!

Psy-Kosh

I hope that whatever it is, it doesn't involve an arbitrary power boost, in a way. Dan turning out to be cubi _is_ the power boost.

I want to see Dan be awesome in an "earned" way. ie, let's see what he can really do with all of his reputed adventuring skills when not in a messed up emotional state. Let's see what he can do when he can fully act on all his training and then that _augmented_ by cubi abilities plus, possibly, a willingness to give another try with his (already established as existent but unused) magical abilities.

But I want to see him be awesome from his training. Not "here's some cool new power/downloaded knowledge from Cyra" or whatever, as cool as that might be. Does that make any sense? Let's have DP fully heal up and see a rematch. (obviously not for strip 1000, but you know what I mean.)