03/28/09 [DMFA #987] - Dark Buttface

Started by Hatsuyuki, March 28, 2009, 02:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pagan

Quote from: tiggertoo on March 28, 2009, 09:38:53 AM
...  Perhaps the realization that she has managed to hurt and endanger people she actually admires and cares about will take her a tiny step towards maturity (but of course, this *is* Regina we're talking about).
Regina's thoughts? Hmmm... "But, all my clothes are here! What am I going to wear when we get to Unlce Aliph's castle!?"

Well... There goes the action sequence. So, will we stick with Kria, Lorenda, and Dan? Or will we follow Aliph and Regina for a moment? Oooh, or do we switch back to Abel, Jyrras, and Alexsi? Maybe we'll have a non-sequitor  scene change and see what Azlan is up to.

Never realized how hoof-y Aliph's legs are. And Aliph provides a nice little piece of beefcake, don't he?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

tiggertoo

Quote from: Pagan on March 28, 2009, 09:47:09 AM
Quote from: tiggertoo on March 28, 2009, 09:38:53 AM
...  Perhaps the realization that she has managed to hurt and endanger people she actually admires and cares about will take her a tiny step towards maturity (but of course, this *is* Regina we're talking about).
Regina's thoughts? Hmmm... "But, all my clothes are here! What am I going to wear when we get to Unlce Aliph's castle!?"

True, with Regina, this may be much more likely -- that and she just remembered that she didn't get to eat her ice cream either.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: The1Kobra on March 28, 2009, 09:26:13 AM
And one where a creature murdering twelve beings only results in a fine.
Which is a result because the trial is controlled by the same type of critter as the offender (Being or Creature).  Obviously, there is some sort of legal system that holds power over the citizens, otherwise they wouldn't bother with it even if the judge/jury is always biased in favor of the offender because of his/her/its species.

So a creature can get away with murder of beings.  And beings (adventurers) can get away with murder (slaying) of creatures.  Their peers protect them in court.  So what does that mean for an adventurer that becomes a creature, or turns out to be a creature?  It stands to reason that suddenly adventurers in that setup lose their "legal protection".   Does this mean that say, Dan goes off on an adventure, slays a Demon, and that Demon's family takes him to court.  In the past, Dan's judge/jury would have been beings, who would have been biased in his favor.  Now, since it turns out he's a creature, his judge/jury will also be a creature, and that bias vaporizes.

It looks like Dan's not going to be resurrecting his old career as an adventurer if he wants to stay out of legal trouble.  Or at least, try to avoid the provable-in-court hacky and slashy.

Final Thought, now that it can be proven that Dan's a creature now, can all the parties he's brought "harm" to during his adventuring days come back and demand a retrial?  Demand compensation?

Edit:

Quote from: Pagan on March 28, 2009, 09:47:09 AM
Clothes nothing.  What's she doing to do when she realizes she left her ice cream behind?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 28, 2009, 09:56:20 AM
In the past, Dan's judge/jury would have been beings, who would have been biased in his favor.  Now, since it turns out he's a creature, his judge/jury will also be a creature, and that bias vaporizes.

It looks like Dan's not going to be resurrecting his old career as an adventurer if he wants to stay out of legal trouble.  Or at least, try to avoid the provable-in-court hacky and slashy.

Actually, his judge would be a 'Cubi.  Dan seems to thrive on justice, so his behaviour would likely make perfect sense to such a person.  If he went around killing other 'Cubi, then he'd have a problem but he swore not to do that.  I wonder if this kind of culpability is why Dee made him take that oath...?

QuoteFinal Thought, now that it can be proven that Dan's a creature now, can all the parties he's brought "harm" to during his adventuring days come back and demand a retrial?  Demand compensation?

Interesting.  It could be argued that he believed himself a Being at the time.

QuoteClothes nothing.  What's she doing to do when she realizes she left her ice cream behind?

Indeed, all Devin's poking was in vain...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 28, 2009, 10:08:58 AM
Actually, his judge would be a 'Cubi.  Dan seems to thrive on justice, so his behaviour would likely make perfect sense to such a person.  If he went around killing other 'Cubi, then he'd have a problem but he swore not to do that.  I wonder if this kind of culpability is why Dee made him take that oath...?

Maybe that's another angle of it.  I had thought she made him take that oath because she had enough foresight to consider the possibility that he could be an incubus (I think Jyrras needs to make a home test kit for that; find out if you're cubi in 5 minutes), and did not want to risk damaging relations or starting new hostilities with other cubi clans.  A clan doesn't need more enemies then it already has, and considering some of Cyra's enemies (dragons) I'd make that a pretty high priority for all clan members.

Arroyo Milori

ahahahahahahahah~

I didn't see that coming. Also, I bet Regina is happy to take away her from Kria...unless she's pulled into doing the same chores she was previously doing for Kria but now for DP.

I wonder how Dan will break the news to Bigg's that he couldn't defeat DP and stop him from escaping.

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Dem on March 28, 2009, 07:15:14 AM
btw. Did those red markings on DP face change? I looked around a bit and to me it seems they have been different each time he's been around. Often just slightly, which could be Amber just doing it a bit different each time, but there are several times where difference is more noticeable. Possibility it changes each time he is resurrected, which would be somewhat nice detail?

He's Rorschach!

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on March 28, 2009, 10:31:40 AM
ahahahahahahahah~

I didn't see that coming. Also, I bet Regina is happy to take away her from Kria...unless she's pulled into doing the same chores she was previously doing for Kria but now for DP.

I wonder how Dan will break the news to Bigg's that he couldn't defeat DP and stop him from escaping.
I get the feeling Dan won't be seeing Biggs until DP is dead and cremated...

GabrielsThoughts

the lighting in the panel with DP and Regina sees odd to me... and it's not really all that funny... I mean I admire the effort that went into it . However, I just find this strip as enjoyable as some of the others, but it's not at its best. I'll stop talking now.   
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 28, 2009, 11:04:15 AM
the lighting in the panel with DP and Regina sees odd to me...

The lighting is fine... They're just translucent, being caught halfway through teleportation.

kazzellin

Quote from: Dem

btw. Did those red markings on DP face change? I looked around a bit and to me it seems they have been different each time he's been around. Often just slightly, which could be Amber just doing it a bit different each time, but there are several times where difference is more noticeable. Possibility it changes each time he is resurrected, which would be somewhat nice detail?

Actually, looks like the markings are a bit longer. He's missing one of the spikes on his forehead, though. He's got two in comic 153 (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_153.php) and only one in the current comic (aside from the one on his nose). Maybe he lost one in the last fight? Or this one, since those red marks would hide the blood.  :)

Meanwhile, to paraphrase Barf in Spaceballs, "Nice fade out."

icarus

that *does* lend itself to questions. how would one represent the lighting effects of someone who is only *partially* transluscent? does the shading fade, is there shading at all? how does shading translate from a more solid portion of the flesh to a further faded version?

this is going to hurt my art-brain thinking about.

also:

Quote from: kazzellin on March 28, 2009, 11:29:55 AM
Actually, looks like the markings are a bit longer. He's missing one of the spikes on his forehead, though. He's got two in comic 153 (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_153.php) and only one in the current comic (aside from the one on his nose). Maybe he lost one in the last fight? Or this one, since those red marks would hide the blood.  :)

his spikes are add-ons. make-up to look spookier. says so in his bio. so likely, he didn't put them all in.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Corgatha Taldorthar

baddies always have a few rat-holes, so we can expect DP to have some sort of backup base while he goes off to recruit cannon fodder. ONe wonders how seriously Dan is going to press this, once he gets healed.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

kazzellin

Quote from: icarus

his spikes are add-ons. make-up to look spookier. says so in his bio. so likely, he didn't put them all in.

Yes, but I was under the impression that they were add-ons as in, plastic surgery, not add-ons as in, temporary tattoo. I mean, how would one add a nose spike to make it last through whatever you were doing, including a fight? That would have to be some very strong glue, and I don't wanna think on how much skin you'd remove trying to take the sucker off. :<

Jairus

Quote from: kazzellin on March 28, 2009, 11:39:03 AM
Quote from: icarus

Yes, but I was under the impression that they were add-ons as in, plastic surgery, not add-ons as in, temporary tattoo. I mean, how would one add a nose spike to make it last through whatever you were doing, including a fight? That would have to be some very strong glue, and I don't wanna think on how much skin you'd remove trying to take the sucker off. :<
Magic, obviously. Or a trade secret among demons.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lucheek

I guess Aliph likes Regina....

also, Aliph has digitigrade legs, while Kria has plantigrade. I wonder if it's just a random genetic thing (like red-hair or whatever)

Angel

Angel's reaction: "LOL Buttface!"

Anyways. So, they will meet again, as always. And I personally hope Dan enlists some help and gets an adventuring party going. Maybe dear Mommy would be willing to help now that her baby's got the clan-mark. :3
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

inuhanyo

Re: DP spikes

The second one is just in front of his hair, and the same color.  It's there, you are just misinterpreting it as hair.

Regina probably gave Aliph a hurried briefing of the situation right after his resurrection, so he knows Regina can't stay.

Well, now she gets a chance to learn Evil Plots 101>:3

Dan has reason enough, when he gets healed and back to lost lake, to gather his friends and hold a council of war.  Or at least a briefing.  Lorinda has questions, and everone who was involved in the encounter with Regina six years ago needs to be brought up on recent developments.

Exposition opportunity!

Foxfire

Some talks of the judicial system here, but everything that I've seen talked about in the comic, especially that fashion oddly enough lead me to think there is no overbearing law system there. Looks like most of the world is city states or at best smaller areas or rule. Which is one of the reason that a lot of people can go from one area cause a lot of trouble then be just fine in another area. Not a continental area of authority. Hence, Aniz killing people in the demon majority city but being in Cubi majority or ruled territory they were not in fact going to turn him over.

And yes, this one was lol worthy... but-face. >D

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Lucheek on March 28, 2009, 11:45:58 AM
I guess Aliph likes Regina....

Well, Regina Is family, after all.  None of Amber's characters are shallow and adhere strictly to the typical stereotypes.  DP has his objectives (resurrecting this dead god of his), but that doesn't mean that's the only thing that's important to him.

What I think is interesting from this story arc is, despite the hatred Dan and DBF has for eachother, there's a lot of traits they have in common together (stubbornness, bigotry, stubbornness again...)  It makes me wonder what DP's origin is, how did he become the demon that he is today.  Might he once have walked a path similar to Dan's when he was his age, and made choices that took him down a different path?  Will Dan have to make these same choices as he comes to terms with his cubi heritage?  Just how many adventurers turned cubi stay adventurers?  What do they do with their suddenly elongated natural (or unnatural if they get a craving for soul food) lifespans?  Do many of them eventually get sick of it all, and give into the temptation of going evil?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 28, 2009, 03:37:05 PM
Well, Regina Is family, after all.  None of Amber's characters are shallow and adhere strictly to the typical stereotypes.  DP has his objectives (resurrecting this dead god of his), but that doesn't mean that's the only thing that's important to him.

If the god died, doesn't that mean it was too weak to bother with?  >:3

QuoteWill Dan have to make these same choices as he comes to terms with his cubi heritage?  Just how many adventurers turned cubi stay adventurers?  What do they do with their suddenly elongated natural (or unnatural if they get a craving for soul food) lifespans?  Do many of them eventually get sick of it all, and give into the temptation of going evil?

Who knows?  Abel seems to be a reasonable sort, though all told he's still comparatively young.  What he'd be like at 2000 is anybody's guess.

Lisky

well, if this dark god did in fact die, then wouldn't that make it more like a norse god, than your more expected omni-potent immortal?

i though he was trying to summon the dark god... not resurrect... but i could be wrong on that...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 28, 2009, 03:43:22 PM
Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 28, 2009, 03:37:05 PM

If the god died, doesn't that mean it was too weak to bother with?  >:3
As a new-born fan of the God of War series, I will point out that Kratos - then-current God of War - died in God of War II, and just came back more badass and awesome than ever. And more violent, but this is God of War we're talking about. A god dying doesn't necessarily make them any less awesome: it just proves the kind of enemies they made.

Besides, maybe a Fae killed/got rid of the Dark God. In that case, it's not the god's fault.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

jeffh4

Heh.

Makes me wonder what Amber and her brother's coversations sounded like in their early teens.

Michael Chandra

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 28, 2009, 02:42:16 PMDan has reason enough, when he gets healed and back to lost lake, to gather his friends and hold a council of war.  Or at least a briefing.  Lorinda has questions, and everone who was involved in the encounter with Regina six years ago needs to be brought up on recent developments.

Exposition opportunity!
... "And that is why I'll be gone from Lost Lake for a while, to kill both Regina and Dark Pegasus. Any questions?"
"You are so not going after the gal that nearly killed me all by yourself, Dan! I got dibs on that one!"

Is what I'd imagine Wildy to comment.

M

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 28, 2009, 02:42:16 PM

The second one is just in front of his hair, and the same color.  It's there, you are just misinterpreting it as hair.

I think the issue people are having with DP's spikes is that there use to be two spikes that matched his hair color, not just the one you noted.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on March 28, 2009, 04:14:31 PM
i though he was trying to summon the dark god... not resurrect... but i could be wrong on that...

Strip 151.  "In order to resurrect the Dark God..."

Lowde

Hehe... calling others buttface is apparently a demon thing

inuhanyo

Quote from: Marmonstein on March 28, 2009, 04:41:53 PM
Quote from: inuhanyo on March 28, 2009, 02:42:16 PM

I think the issue people are having with DP's spikes is that there use to be two spikes that matched his hair color, not just the one you noted.

Ah, the way Amber is drawing him now. that third spike is actually in his hair, and is not always visible

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on March 28, 2009, 10:43:20 AM
Quote from: Dem on March 28, 2009, 07:15:14 AM
Quote from: Arroyo Milori on March 28, 2009, 10:31:40 AM
ahahahahahahahah~

I get the feeling Dan won't be seeing Biggs until DP is dead and cremated...
He probably has to, it's not like Dan knows where DP will fade away to.

Dwarg91

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 28, 2009, 04:29:13 PM
Heh.

Makes me wonder what Amber and her brother's coversations sounded like in their early teens.
Good question