12/17/08 [DMFA #957] - Minor scuffle

Started by Tapewolf, December 17, 2008, 04:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 04:20:37 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 04:17:14 AM
I'd vote for cavity insulation.  After all, it's called "pink batts" for a reason...
I've only ever seen white stuff.

It appears to be spun-glass insulation as well, not foam. Foam would have hardened by then and wouldn't drip out of the walls like that. It's also a bad idea to touch it if you don't have to, it makes you itch like crazy. :B

I am probably being very strange, but the attention to detail in the comic today has me grinning.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 08:46:39 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 08:22:49 AM
Hey, it works for the Mafia. And you can bet that if I was in the Inn, I'd be more than willing to back her. Or else... ;-]
I wonder if you can hire 'Cubi or other thought-readers for legal testimony?

The only problem I could see with this is that thought-reading by nature would be unverifiable. Unless there were state-sanctioned ones, or rather multiple such - it's not like an eyewitness, where it's possible to verify what they saw by what the accused was wearing or what the area around there looked like, or by what other eyewitnesses have said. Unless the person was above reproach, which is a dangerous road to travel down in my opinion, you'd simply have to take the person's word for it that they read what they did in the person's mind.

superluser

If I'm not mistaken, the violence in this case is caused by a mallet retrieved from Hammerspace--and those mallets seem to obey very strict rules of not causing permanent injury.

...Of course, it may turn out that these people left of their own accord shortly after creating the hole (we know that there was a scuffle, but not even if Alexsi fought back), and we may yet see the event in question in later strips.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 17, 2008, 11:02:15 AM
I am probably being very strange, but the attention to detail in the comic today has me grinning.
QFT.

QuoteThe only problem I could see with this is that thought-reading by nature would be unverifiable. Unless there were state-sanctioned ones, or rather multiple such - it's not like an eyewitness, where it's possible to verify what they saw by what the accused was wearing or what the area around there looked like, or by what other eyewitnesses has said. Unless the person was above reproach, which is a dangerous road to travel down in my opinion, you'd simply have to take the person's word for it that they read what they did in the person's mind.
Well, yes... I was thinking of them being part of the legal machinery like a state prosecutor - or heck, the judge - and held to the same standards.  What I was specifically thinking in terms of was being able to tell if a given party was lying, speaking under duress etc, more than actual first-hand evidence.

Quote from: superluser on December 17, 2008, 11:14:07 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the violence in this case is caused by a mallet retrieved from Hammerspace--and those mallets seem to obey very strict rules of not causing permanent injury.
Yes, I forgot to mention... it seems likely that Alexsi herself is ultimately responsible for the hole.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AndersW

I appears Pyroduck is wearing a new shirt, a green one.  And Alexsi is wearing a red dress.  Could it be another reference to The Red Green Show?

Angel

I kinda agree with Ducky about a window being a good addition there... it would just make the place seem prettier.

And I think we now need to know about how the law works in Furrae. Adventurers aren't seen as vigilantes in spite of the fact that they take jobs away from the police... maybe they're more like bounty hunters? Guns don't seem to be standard procedure when people still use swords, so I'm not sure if they have bulletproof vests. They have psychiatrists, but hospitals don't seem to be the norm... I could go on.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 04:14:15 AM
If that's a minor scuffle, I'd hate to see a major one.  Either that's some weird cavity wall insulation or the wall's melted.

Lost lake- Insulated with Candy floss. Hmm, that's tasty heat retention.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 11:18:49 AMYes, I forgot to mention... it seems likely that Alexsi herself is ultimately responsible for the hole.

It may turn out that this is not the case.  I could see it just as easily going like the following:

[crash! Three creatures burst through the hole.  One creature holds each arm, and the third speaks to Alexsi]
Zod: My dear Alexsi, I am here to send a message to Daniel Ti'Fiona.  Where is he?  You see, I represent the Lollipo--
Alexsi: Um, he's out.  Now.  He's...you know, I'm not entirely sure where he is.  Last I heard, Twink Territories trying to save me.
Zod: Really?  Well, then, I suppose I must be going.  I'm glad I came, but just the same I must be going.  La La.
Alexsi: No, I'm sure I can take a message.  If your henchmen would let me find a pen...
Zod: No, no.  It really is a personal message.  Any idea when he'll be back?  Ah, well, I'll just drop in later, I suppose.
[The three creatures leave]

(What can I say?  I seem to be in a loopy mood.)

Quote from: AndersW on December 17, 2008, 11:30:33 AMCould it be another reference to The Red Green Show?

Given that it's a pair of shirts and not Red's patented suspenders, I have my doubts.

Corgatha Taldorthar

If that's an impact hole from some creature or Being being chucked violently out of the Inn, it's rather oddly shaped..... Do they have Lemures in Furrae? :P
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

GabrielsThoughts

Anyway, why do you suppose Pyroduck has one of Dan's feathers tied in at the base of his hair braid?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 17, 2008, 02:49:09 PM
Anyway, why do you suppose Pyroduck has one of Dan's feathers tied in at the base of his hair braid?
Why not?  Dan probably sheds them.

Mao

Does anyone know for a fact that it's actually Dans?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 17, 2008, 03:24:19 PM
Does anyone know for a fact that it's actually Dans?
Only Amber.  Chances are it's either going to be Dan's or Destania's.  But the balanace is firmly on Dan's side since he's closest to hand.
Granted, Pyro was hanging out in the Twink Territories where Dee was, but she'd probably kill him out-of-hand unless she knew that he was on Fa'Lina's side (which she may or may not depending on how old Pyro is and when he came under Fa'Lina's care).

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 17, 2008, 11:02:15 AM
The only problem I could see with this is that thought-reading by nature would be unverifiable. Unless there were state-sanctioned ones, or rather multiple such - it's not like an eyewitness, where it's possible to verify what they saw by what the accused was wearing or what the area around there looked like, or by what other eyewitnesses have said. Unless the person was above reproach, which is a dangerous road to travel down in my opinion, you'd simply have to take the person's word for it that they read what they did in the person's mind.

A possible solution is two readers, and if they don't agree, the testimony is thrown out.

Of course, that's amenable to corruption - try thinking "I buried 50 million at the bottom of my garden this morning - it's yours if I'm innocent" when they're reading your mind...

... or one of them thinking that to the other one, to get an agreement on the testimony...

Solutions for this abound - first thought is closed-door interviews to find out what the testimony is, so neither side knows what the other is saying they read, but even then, that presumes they can't read through, say, a door...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 17, 2008, 09:29:25 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 09:19:38 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on December 17, 2008, 09:14:30 AM
I noticed the blue feather in Pyros hair. Wasn't there some mention of Dan being very important to him at one point? Could it be a gift, memento or something similar?
Hmm.  I've not noticed it before.  Indeed, it wasn't in strip 808 which is the last I remember seeing him.  I'd almost say Dan was involved except he's presumably still with Lorenda and Kria.
The feather was there as far back as 683 but you don't get to see that part of his hair often so its probably been there all along.

Example of his magical non shapechanging ponytail

Actually it appears the first we see him wearing a blue feather is in #680. Scanning back through, I couldn't find a feather there any earlier, but I did notice that in #116 he wasn't wearing his tail ring.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Emmanuel Chabrier - Danse Slave (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Colgatecrusader

ahh, nothing like a reference to duck tape.
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 17, 2008, 07:30:23 AM
Quote from: Naldru on December 17, 2008, 05:56:33 AM
I'm a little surprised that Jyrras noticed that Alexsi had changed dresses.  Men aren't known for that.  Of course, when living with a female half-demon, that might count as survival skills.

"I repeat. Six sisters."

Then again, at his height, he sees that broad (no pun) expanse of cloth, and a change in colors in front of your face are noticeable.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Michel Delalande - Christmas Symphony (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Slowtini

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 06:14:33 PMOf course, that's amenable to corruption - try thinking "I buried 50 million at the bottom of my garden this morning - it's yours if I'm innocent" when they're reading your mind...

Three-Hundred and Fifty G's, under the Big-W, in Santa Rosita!

Sorry, Couldn't help but stick an "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" reference into this conversation. :>

Gamma

The hole in the wall seems pretty wide, the offender was probably thrown sideways. By mallet or by hand is still a question.

Unfortunately for Pyro-Ducky his idea for a new window only works a few times before you run out of wall and supports. :rolleyes
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

AmigaDragon

Replace holes with windows enough times, and perhaps they'll start aiming for the windows. Just replace glass instead of full carpentry work.

Quote from: scorpio803 on December 17, 2008, 07:00:19 PM
ahh, nothing like a reference to duck tape.

But Ducky's reference was to duct tape, not Duck tape. The former is the original type, the latter is a brand name of the same.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Genesis - The carpet crawlers 1999 (Loafer's Fatass Radio Show - KWKAT)
via FoxyTunes

senrath

Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 17, 2008, 10:38:47 PM
Replace holes with windows enough times, and perhaps they'll start aiming for the windows. Just replace glass instead of full carpentry work.
Replace holes with windows enough times, then that's all they're have to aim at :U

superluser

Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 17, 2008, 10:38:47 PMBut Ducky's reference was to duct tape, not Duck tape. The former is the original type, the latter is a brand name of the same.

Possibly.

Duck tape seems to predate duct tape, and now we have DuckĀ® brand duct tape.

One thing the article gets wrong is that duct tape is very bad for sealing ducts, as anyone who's ever used it can figure out without needing to try it.

Tycoon

Quote from: Stig Hemmer on December 17, 2008, 09:44:20 AM
Wild speculation time!  :ipod:  Pyro is actually Edward Ti'Fiona!  That blue feather is one of Destanias.

Despite the atrocious idea of Edward dating his own daughter, that is a horribly awesome conspiracy.

Naldru

Quote from: Tycoon on December 18, 2008, 06:08:44 PM
Wild speculation time!  :ipod:  Pyro is actually Edward Ti'Fiona!  That blue feather is one of Destanias.

Despite the atrocious idea of Edward dating his own daughter, that is a horribly awesome conspiracy.
That would mean that he managed to deceive Fa'Lina as well as Alexsi, and that he would be able to conceal the fact from Destania's legion of agents that she maintains for Biggs.  However, it would give extra meaning to the fact that Pyroduck felt that meeting with Destania would be interesting.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

gh0st

woot red green show ftw!!!

anyways now that that's out of my system, what if Pyroduck was simply taught by Destania, and since they are both practically immortals they could have spent a long time together as teacher and student.

or Pyroduck could be some crazy love child of Destania's from the 70's or the 80's. you know everything back then was just a massive drug induced blur.

ShadeFakws

I agree with Pyroduck, any torn up wall could make a good window, the job is half done for you already  XP

AmigaDragon

And besides, wouldn't that make her (at least) half dragon already?

Naldru

Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 20, 2008, 02:42:49 PM

And besides, wouldn't that make her (at least) half dragon already?
Anybody out there see the video Dragon Half.  It's about as serious as this discussion.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.