Mirrors Edge

Started by Mao, November 17, 2008, 11:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

I've been interested in this for a while now, so when I went to the midnight release of WotLK I decided I'd grab that while I was at it.  I have to say I love it.  The world is beautiful, the story engaging and the controls are awesome.  I love the way I'm able to interact with so much of the environment in this game.  I like the combat (it can be deliciously vicious at times, without being gory or needlessly excessive).  And while I'm often more into games with darker themes, I have to say I like the idea of trying to live off the radar in a 'Big Brother' type world.

It's not going to please everyone though, as it's 1) kinda difficult (on normal I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get out of a place all the while trying to survive swat teams who would rather see me riddled with holes), 2) Made by EA and 3) doesn't contain any of the excesses that people seem so enamored with these days.

That all said what I love the most about it is that, to me, this is something innovative.  While it rings similar to some of the concepts seen in Assassins Creed, it presents it in a way that gives a new outlook.  Yes, there are places you can't go, but rather than encountering an invisible wall, you encounter a rather long way down or an obstacle that is clearly impassable.  You don't have to solve things in any one particular way most of the time (though sometimes, there really is only one way out) and to be honest, it doesn't feel like you're being forced into it. There's no super invincible boss or something inexplicable in the way, it feels natural.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Mowser on November 17, 2008, 11:12:36 AM
It's not going to please everyone though, as it's:
1) kinda difficult (on normal I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get out of a place all the while trying to survive swat teams who would rather see me riddled with holes)
2) Made by EA
3) doesn't contain any of the excesses that people seem so enamored with these days.

1) After the stormdrains, there's a section with six shotgun wielding cops. I spent my time skulking about and disarming -every one of them- before continuing, after dying one too many times. Then there's the snipers... ugh.

2) I hate that people hate EA's games. Sure, hate the company for being a douche, but that doesn't mean all their games are instantaneous piles of suck.

3) The price one pays for innovation. The game makes me oddly think of Aeon Flux.

Quote from: Mowser on November 17, 2008, 11:12:36 AM
There's no super invincible boss or something inexplicable in the way, it feels natural.

The closest thing to an invincible boss is Ropeburn, especially without Runner Vision as then you can't see when to counter him (I died so many times). Also not quite inexplicable is whenever the SWAT team shows up with a big machinegun - that becomes a case of MOVE OR YOU'RE DEAD.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Rakala

I played the demo.... 15 times so far. Playing the same level has been really fun especially since I've found several ways to complete the same stage. I do enjoy that you're not supposed to fight. However playing all three Prince of Persia games the puzzles are much easier. I had to turn runner vision off and I still breezed through it, the first time even. I enjoy how simple the controls are, one button to go up, one button to go down. However the time it takes to avoid taking damage from falls made it difficult enough to run from the police. I can't wait to get the full game myself. I thought it would be difficult being from first person and yes, it is a little bit,

Turnsky

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on November 17, 2008, 08:06:46 PM
2) I hate that people hate EA's games. Sure, hate the company for being a douche, but that doesn't mean all their games are instantaneous piles of suck.

an exercise in stupidity if you ask me, Love 'em or hate 'em, EA has brought us some real sterling games recently, Dead Space. Command and Conquer (Tib Wars & RA3), and the aforementioned Mirror's Edge.

you can also choose to hate Ubisoft as well, for a few of their more dubious actions in the past.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Valynth

Quote from: Turnsky on November 17, 2008, 11:44:41 PM
an exercise in stupidity if you ask me, Love 'em or hate 'em, EA has brought us some real sterling games recently, Dead Space. Command and Conquer (Tib Wars & RA3), and the aforementioned Mirror's Edge.

you can also choose to hate Ubisoft as well, for a few of their more dubious actions in the past.  >:3

Isn't Dead Space just a re-hashing of ideas found in System Shock 2 and Doom 3 with a few cosmetic changes?
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Rakala

Yeah, Dead Space to me, though not dissapointing, seemed to be a "best of" horror game. They took all their favorites from movies and games and put them into one. And I'm not just talking concepts, I swear there is one room that is taken from Silent Hill with computers and gadgets instead.

Gareeku

Mirror's Edge is most enjoyable. Bought it last friday, and currently trying to find the quickest routes through levels to best my best times.

Turnsky

Quote from: Valynth on November 18, 2008, 03:32:21 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on November 17, 2008, 11:44:41 PM

Isn't Dead Space just a re-hashing of ideas found in System Shock 2 and Doom 3 with a few cosmetic changes?

i think comparing it to anything is a fairly harsh judgement to hand down on deadspace, particularly if you haven't played them..
that said, i have no idea where you pulled the Shock 2 comparison from, because it's nothing like it.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

Quote from: Gareeku on November 18, 2008, 05:02:36 PM
Mirror's Edge is most enjoyable. Bought it last friday, and currently trying to find the quickest routes through levels to best my best times.

I've just started working on the time trials.  To say I'm behind would be understatement.  I've only qualified on the prologue so far. :S

Personally I don't like the fact that games that are made by EA are getting the shaft due to EA's bad rep.  Not to say EA hasn't earned it, but I agree that the fact that folks are shooting games down based on it, well, blows.  I bought Warhammer Online and Mirror's Edge without even caring about the fact that EA made them and don't see why others can't do the same.  Judge the product separately.

Now that said it's certainly legit to be boycotting EA right now.  Their douchebaggery doesn't deserve to be rewarded and some folks have been burned bad enough to warrant it.  It's just a shame that it's come to that.  Beyond that, EA isn't the only entity involved in these games which is where the real suck comes in.  Companies releasing through EA are getting  burned as a result as well.

Rakala

EA is kinda like Bungie. They make some great games, but people just hate them anyways. That doesn't mean it's unjustified though.