Personal Idols

Started by Rakala, November 11, 2008, 02:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

Everybody has one of these, a person they model their life after, somebody they look up to, somebody they aspire to be like, at least most people I know. I want to know what everybody's is and the main reason why. You don't have to share all the details if you don't want.

Mine is Freddie Mercury. He was good at what he did and he wasn't particularly full of himself. I have many other reasons which I suppose most I can't really think of right now.

Dannysaysnoo

Suwako

The pizza delivery guy.

It's better to aim low as it is easier to succeed them!  :U

Sofox

I dunno, I always think there's a danger of trying to be too much like a given person. Firstly because it can blind you to the unique things that make you a great person, and secondly because often you're trying to buy into a facade without truly understanding what goes on behind it and what supports it.
Just my thoughts.

Mao

Yeah, just one is boring.  Besides, I can't keep my own person sorted out, why would I try and match someone else?

Rakala

Eh, all good points. If I could word exactly what I mean I would, but it's just strange what I mean. So whatever.

Ryudo Lee

Tchernobog... oh wait, you meant real people.

Seriously, I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to idolize people.  As Sofox said, there's danger in doing that.  It causes a loss of individuality when you're striving to "be like so-and-so".  Just be yourself.  You shouldn't hold yourself to anyone else's standards.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Alondro

Idol?  Uhm... let me see...

Me.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Eibborn

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on November 12, 2008, 11:17:30 AM
Seriously, I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to idolize people.  As Sofox said, there's danger in doing that.  It causes a loss of individuality when you're striving to "be like so-and-so".  Just be yourself.  You shouldn't hold yourself to anyone else's standards.

I think that you're wrong. You are reducing your individuality when you deliberately act in a way that is not how you would naturally behave, not when you model yourself after another person. Acting like your ideal is just as much of a character trait as complete independence is, after all.

That being said, I've got a handful of people who I would like to be like, but if I named them it would be meaningless to you guys anyway. They're just people who I know, almost all of them in real life.
/kicks the internet over

Rakala

Tchernobog... oh wait, you meant real people.

I never said anything about real people.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Eibbor_N on November 12, 2008, 02:58:41 PM

I think that you're wrong. You are reducing your individuality when you deliberately act in a way that is not how you would naturally behave, not when you model yourself after another person. Acting like your ideal is just as much of a character trait as complete independence is, after all.

Well that's what I meant.  If you're gonna strive to be like your idol down to the mannerisms, then you'll easily lose part of what makes you you.  I think that it's healthy to have a role model, someone who'll teach you how to behave and be a functional part of society (teachers, parents, etc), but idolizing someone, striving to "be like that" and ignoring your own individuality, that's what I was talking about.

Perhaps we have differing definitions on what it means to idolize someone.  So I ask Rakala now, do you mean to talk about role models?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Rakala

I didn't mean to be like them in their mannerisms. I hope I didn't come off that way.... uh... actually it seems like I did. Whoops. ^^;

King Of Hearts

Personal Idol for me... Clint Eastwood.

Jack McSlay

John Carmack and Shigeru Miyamoto. now figure out what are my goals...
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Yugo

Les Paul

93, an arm that can't move, and he's still doing his thing. I hope I'm still playing gigs when I'm that old.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Yugo on November 12, 2008, 10:22:27 PM
Les Paul
93, an arm that can't move, and he's still doing his thing. I hope I'm still playing gigs when I'm that old.

Also, inventor of tape echo and multitrack recording.  Essentially the father of the modern recording studio.  Definitely a man to look up to.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Yugo

I want a Les Paulverizer. :P
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Sunblink

JK Rowling.

Think what you wish about her writing, but she's immensely successful and transcended some really dark moments in her life.

Oh, but I also like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. :B

Mao

Vidar

There are no people I mold my life after. I think it's better if I'm my own person, rather than a imitation of someone else.
That said, there are some people I admire. Among them are Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Mahadma Gandhi, and the heroes of SARS.
I could think up some more, if I wasn't stuck at work, and need to look busy.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</