memorable lines

Started by thegayhare, October 12, 2008, 09:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

Oh come on, there were better duck soup lines :p

"You're a brave man. Go and break through the lines. And remember while you're out there risking life and limb through shot and shell, we'll be in here thinking what a sucker you are."
Rufus Firefly
"All right, I tell you. Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come out. He wasn't home. Tuesday we go to the ball game, but he fool us. He no show up. Wednesday he go to the ball game, and we fool him. We no show up. Thursday was a double-header. Nobody show up. Friday it rained all day. There was no ball game, so we stayed home and we listened to it on-a the radio. "
Chicolini
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on October 27, 2008, 03:56:04 PM
And let us not forget the king of zing, Groucho Marx.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 27, 2008, 06:17:34 PM
Quote from: Alondro on October 27, 2008, 03:56:04 PM
And let us not forget the king of zing, Groucho Marx.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Man, there are so many lines that I really like, it'd be hard to pin them down.

Though I think for right now I'll say "Would you kindly..." from Bioshock and think about this problem for a while and come back with a few more selections.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Alondro

Modern day comedies really will never produce lines that will be remembered for generations.

It's all foul language and throw-away jokes.  No cleverness.  No intelligence.

And if any lines are repeated, it's simply because you can only manage to arrange curse words in so many ways before you inevitably repeat yourself.  :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

You'd be surprised how far you can get with a little ingenuity.

Cogidubnus

"Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so."

-Oscar Wilde

Tapewolf

David Cronenburg's Naked Lunch has some awesome lines.  Off the top of my head is the initial conversation with the giant cockroach:

Bug: "It's about the little woman."
Lee: "The little woman...?"
Bug: "Your little woman.  Your wife is an agent for Interzone.  You must kill Joan Lee.  It must be done soon - this week.  And it must be done real tasty."

"I think it's time we discussed your philosophy of drug use in relation to creative writing."
"I think it's time you boys joined me in my last taste of the Real Black Meat... the powdered flesh of the giant Brazilian aquatic centipede."

"You think we're really having this conversation?  It's telepathy."
[Cut to Ian Holm's face, his lips are out of sync with the audio]

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkdragon

"All of you in here who still believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

Cogidubnus

From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it.
-Groucho Marx

Rakala

Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on and explode.

Alondro

And now some disturbing lines from David Firth.

"I was just enjoying the pleasures of nettles."

"I have got a fish in the oven.  With your supple young frame, perhaps you can go in and fetch it for me."

"What's wrong Mr. Fingers?  Do you not like my mouth words?"

"I've got a flannel to wash my face.  When it gets mucky I feel disgraced.  Do you like Horlicks?  Do you like chips?  I've got a hundred pairs of lips."

"Your eyes are just scribbles, Jonathan.  You don't need them."

"They'll find you Jonathan; they're probably on their way now!"
"Who?  Who's on their way?"
"Singing children, Jonathan!  They're riding animals and singing!"
"They're not gonna get me!"

Ah, delightful insanity.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Alondro on October 30, 2008, 03:57:54 PM
And now some disturbing lines from David Firth.

"I was just enjoying the pleasures of nettles."

"I have got a fish in the oven.  With your supple young frame, perhaps you can go in and fetch it for me."

"What's wrong Mr. Fingers?  Do you not like my mouth words?"

"I've got a flannel to wash my face.  When it gets mucky I feel disgraced.  Do you like Horlicks?  Do you like chips?  I've got a hundred pairs of lips."

"Your eyes are just scribbles, Jonathan.  You don't need them."

"They'll find you Jonathan; they're probably on their way now!"
"Who?  Who's on their way?"
"Singing children, Jonathan!  They're riding animals and singing!"
"They're not gonna get me!"

Ah, delightful insanity.   >:3

You and you low nipples!

Janus Whitefurr

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.

If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper.

We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.

We can roll the image; make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity.

For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set.

You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the Outer Limits."
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

superluser

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 30, 2008, 06:58:23 PM
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.

If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper.

We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.

We can roll the image; make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity.

For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set.

You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the Outer Limits."

Zanti Misfits spoiler:
You have destroyed the Misfits.  We will not retaliate.  We never intended to.  We knew that you could not live with such aliens in your midst.  It was always our intention that you destroy them and their guards who were of the same spoiled persuasion.  We chose your planet for that purpose.  We are incapable of executing our own species, but you are not.  You are practiced executioners.  We thank you.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kipiru

Here are some lines that really made my day, both from upcoming movies.
First is from "The Spirit":
-I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead!

Second one is from "Watchmen":
- The world will look up and shout "save me" and I'll whisper "no"!

Such lines in movie trailers is what makes me pumped up about a new release  :)

TheGreyRonin

In the spirit of Halloween: "They're coming for you, Barbara!"

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Kipiru on October 31, 2008, 08:25:48 AM
Second one is from "Watchmen":
- The world will look up and shout "save me" and I'll whisper "no"!

Butchered quote, but the trailer really does look like it's sticking visually true to the graphic novel. Jury's out till it emerges and I can see it on screen.

"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." ~ Rorscach, Watchmen
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

The 'bear pit' conversation in Thief.  This is some chatter between the guards outside Bafford Manor and is the first thing the player hears.

"Eh!  I'm goin' to the bear pits tomorrow.  You wanna come with?"

"Tuh!  Couldn't pay me enough"

"Whaat?  You softbelly.  The bears've got these new muzzles with underslung cheek-spikes!  Heh... last time I was there, there was a real eye-gouging!  Hur..."

"Nah, nah.  It makes me sick.  When I was a kid-"

"Huh!  Surprised yer even in this job!  Oo, the blood!  It just turns my poor tummy..."

"Shut up, ya Taffer.  Ya want blood?  Ya should have been there years ago.  Tell ya, the bears then... they were somethin' t' see!  Those bears, they didn't need no cheek spikes 'n razor collars n' paw-hooks an' all that knifery you straps to 'em now."

"No paw-hooks...?  What they do?  Just... bump inta each other?"

"Hah!  Nah... the bears back then, they had claws as long as yer finger!  And wicked teeth!"

"Bears?  Yer Taffin' me.  They look pretty mangy harmless.  Long as they're not wearing harness."

"That's why I can't stand the pits now.  You don't know what you've missed.  They just don't make bears like they used to."

"Woah!  Killer bears!  Woulda liked t' see that."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: superluser on October 31, 2008, 01:35:33 AM
Zanti Misfits spoiler:
You have destroyed the Misfits.  We will not retaliate.  We never intended to.  We knew that you could not live with such aliens in your midst.  It was always our intention that you destroy them and their guards who were of the same spoiled persuasion.  We chose your planet for that purpose.  We are incapable of executing our own species, but you are not.  You are practiced executioners.  We thank you.
Holy crap, where is that from? I think I read a book with this in it once, a long time ago. Didn't it have something to do with these ant-aliens who were exiled to Earth because they were going against their society and using insta-death poison bites, or something like that?

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 02, 2008, 03:56:33 PMHoly crap, where is that from? I think I read a book with this in it once, a long time ago. Didn't it have something to do with these ant-aliens who were exiled to Earth because they were going against their society and using insta-death poison bites, or something like that?

It's from The Outer Limits (the 1960s series).  It sounds like the same story, but I don't think it was ever a book.

techmaster-glitch

If it is the same story, then apparently a book was written that was based on it. I know it was a book I read, and besides, I've never seen the Outer Limits show anyway.

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 02, 2008, 04:58:18 PMIf it is the same story, then apparently a book was written that was based on it. I know it was a book I read, and besides, I've never seen the Outer Limits show anyway.

Oh, but this *is* a tragedy.

Let's see...Nightmare, Wolf359, I Robot (*), SoldierThe Terminator...

I think The Outer Limits was often better than The Twilight Zone.

(*) Not strictly related to Asimov's stories, but it does feature a young Leonard Nimoy.

Quote...OK, need a quote.

Quality of Mercy, Outer Limits (New Series):
They're not changing me. They're changing me back.

techmaster-glitch

Huh?

That whole post was nothing but a random collection of titles and nonsensical statements, to me... :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Grrrr!"
"I'm not saying I'm unwilling... I just need informed consent... which you've given."
  -- The Incredible Hulk, the most recent incarnation.

Corgatha Taldorthar

" Understand the procedure now? Just stop a few of their machines, and radios, and telephones, and lawnmowers, throw them into darkness for a few hours and then, sit back and watch the pattern."
"And this pattern is always the same?"
" With few variations. They pick the most dangerous enemy they can find. And it's themselves. All we need do is sit back and watch. "
" Then I take it that this place- This "Maple Street" is not unique?"
" By no means. The world is full of Maple Streets. And we'll go from one to the other and let them destroy themselves. One to the other...One to the other...One to the other"
Two aliens, The Twilight Zone. "The monsters are due on maple street"
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Sunblink

"The horror! The infamy! The humanity! Who will hasten to bring his reign of terror to an ending? Will you? Good constable, I pray, will you not apprehend this uncouth ruffian? Wave your billy club at him, like so!"
-CrushYiffDestroy

"...and one day, when you least expect it, I will have sex with you."
-George Takei

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 02, 2008, 07:23:04 PMHuh?

That whole post was nothing but a random collection of titles and nonsensical statements, to me... :B

Let me rephrase:

GO!  Go now and rent and/or purchase as much of The Outer Limits as you can get.  They're masterpieces of television.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: superluser on November 02, 2008, 09:28:32 PM
Let me rephrase:

GO!  Go now and rent and/or purchase as much of The Outer Limits as you can get.  They're masterpieces of television.
I have no mon-ey :<

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 02, 2008, 08:27:59 PM
" Understand the procedure now? Just stop a few of their machines, and radios, and telephones, and lawnmowers, throw them into darkness for a few hours and then, sit back and watch the pattern."
"And this pattern is always the same?"
" With few variations. They pick the most dangerous enemy they can find. And it's themselves. All we need do is sit back and watch. "
" Then I take it that this place- This "Maple Street" is not unique?"
" By no means. The world is full of Maple Streets. And we'll go from one to the other and let them destroy themselves. One to the other...One to the other...One to the other"
Two aliens, The Twilight Zone. "The monsters are due on maple street"
Hey, I recognize that! I think it was in a literature textbook in middle school...

Corgatha Taldorthar

It's a *really* famous episode. Usually considered in the top three with "To Serve Man" and the one with the guy who breaks his glasses after finally getting all the time he needs to read.

Oh, right. Famous lines.

Uhm...... How about I put this as a test of your literaryness. Try to see if you can guess what book I pulled this from.

"I think the devil doesn't exist, but man has created him, he has created him in his own image and likeness."

Janus Whitefurr

They're made out of meat.

There's a short film with most of the dialogue on youtube, which makes it even more brilliant.