Skins War

Started by Darkmoon, September 11, 2008, 09:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurawyn

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 13, 2008, 03:19:25 AMTechnical question:
According to the post, at least as I interpreted it, the website(www.missmab.com) will have multiple skins. How will this be set up? Will you have a selector and the selected skin stored as a cookie on users computers, or will it be simply a URL arguement(E.G. http://www.missmab.com/index.php?skin=evil)?

Also, last I heard, there was no PHP or dynamic content involved, and Amber was simply editing the source code in notepad/a text editor.
Will the multiple skins either A, use a server-side dynamic set up, B, simply have multiple pages, and Amber is stuck with editing two or three pages for each update with the same data, or C, we have one page, like it is now, and all skin stuff is done client-side with Javascript?

Sadly, I have no money(not a cent available to me now), so I cannot donate anything, but I am perfectly willing to donate time - If there is anything I can do, just ask.

Thanks,
-RobbieThe1st
Its not going to be two skins, just one, either good, or evil, Or maybe the mixed one if there is a tie..

Someone liked my mixed theme idea..  :mowhappy :mowdizzy

Mwa

I voted for the secret spotty option.  :>

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 13, 2008, 03:19:25 AM
Technical question:
According to the post, at least as I interpreted it, the website(www.missmab.com) will have multiple skins. How will this be set up? Will you have a selector and the selected skin stored as a cookie on users computers, or will it be simply a URL arguement(E.G. http://www.missmab.com/index.php?skin=evil)?

This has not yet been decided.

We'll see what happens when we get to looking at the code, and figuring out how we can make it happen.

k? Good.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

The site will undergo a recode, one way or another, though. With the way the site currently is setup, the skins would be hard to implement -- much harder than if we just recoded the beast with extensibility in mind.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Jairus

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 13, 2008, 10:47:58 AM
The site will undergo a recode, one way or another, though. With the way the site currently is setup, the skins would be hard to implement -- much harder than if we just recoded the beast with extensibility in mind.
And it'll make it much easier to implement any results of possible future skin wars.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Darkmoon

Jairus

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ghostwish

They're on to you, Dark, time for plan b!

Darkmoon

(nukes the internet)

Now they'll never catch me!

Howl

Well, I've no money to donate, so I can only hope that Amber's computer needn't be replaced, and that she needn't pay for Photoshop again.

And Darkmoon, bluntly, I do not care for your artwork.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Minishear on September 14, 2008, 04:42:39 AM

Here's the good news. Neither does Darkmoon. ;-]

In all honesty, it'll be Mab art on the site, not DM art. Probably. There may be a few things DM does, but the overall look will be a Mabby look, not a ICVD or CVRPG look.

... unless we get really inspired. In which case you don't have to use that theme...

Darkmoon

Sod off.

Ghostwish

Well! I have to say the skin war has been a smashing success already. Amber's got more than enough for a veerrrry nice tower... but don't stop!! I want DMFA to come from a supercomputer setup! Mwahahaha!!

And yesh, if I were to lay eyes upon the artwork of Dark, I think my eyes would be full of fire and bleach shortly there after.

Dagardo

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 14, 2008, 10:11:34 AM

Sod off.

I'll hurt him for ya if ya want me to. All I have to do is go into the next room, Minishear is my brother, I can hurt him if I want to. >:3

Damaris

Feel free.  It'll save the mods from having to yell at him.  Especially since two of them are volunteering to do quite a bit of extra work as a thank you for people helping Amber.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Dagardo

Quote from: Damaris on September 14, 2008, 11:15:10 AM
Feel free.  It'll save the mods from having to yell at him.  Especially since two of them are volunteering to do quite a bit of extra work as a thank you for people helping Amber.

I think I will. But I'll wait 'till he wakes up.  >:3 Also, I would say something about Darkmoon's art but i aint seen it so I'll keep my mouth shut, it's probly better than whatever I could come up with tho.  :<

DarkAudit

Quote from: Dagardo on September 14, 2008, 11:24:12 AM

I think I will. But I'll wait 'till he wakes up.  >:3

Why wait?  :mwaha
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Dagardo

Quote from: DarkAudit on September 14, 2008, 11:26:18 AM

Cheap shots don't give as much gratification. :mwaha  >:3

Aurawyn

As a sister with a brother, I can tell you that nothing is more gratifying then having them SEE it coming, and trying, unsuccessfully to get away....

Mm.. Perhaps That ^^ is why i like Wildy so much haha

Darkmoon

I think I will. But I'll wait 'till he wakes up.  >:3 Also, I would say something about Darkmoon's art but i aint seen it so I'll keep my mouth shut, it's probly better than whatever I could come up with tho.  :<

If we're talking about drawing, it really isn't.

However, the skins aren't drawing. They're layout.

Dagardo

Quote from: Aurawyn on September 14, 2008, 11:39:01 AM

As a sister with a brother, I can tell you that nothing is more gratifying then having them SEE it coming, and trying, unsuccessfully to get away....

Mm.. Perhaps That ^^ is why i like Wildy so much haha

I'd agree, but that would break my policy (no feelings no problem). We may have the Mario, Luigi thing going on but I can still whoop him, he can't out run me either. >:3

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 14, 2008, 12:00:55 PM

If we're talking about drawing, it really isn't.

However, the skins aren't drawing. They're layout.

Drawing, layout I cant tell the difference, and you would be wasting time explaining
(mostly cuz I don't care) :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dagardo on September 14, 2008, 12:09:42 PM
Drawing, layout I cant tell the difference, and you would be wasting time explaining

One is done with photoshop, the other with a browser.

I'll leave the differences to the reader...

Dagardo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 14, 2008, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: Dagardo on September 14, 2008, 12:09:42 PM

One is done with photoshop, the other with a browser.

I'll leave the differences to the reader...

Well if the explanation is short an sweet, its different (damn d key)

VSMIT

Quote from: Skins War$5 for Abel

ROFL.

Dagardo

Quote from: VSMIT on September 14, 2008, 01:55:26 PM
Quote from: Skins War$5 for Abel

ROFL.

ROFL indeed. Abel should get $5000 for no reason. :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dagardo on September 14, 2008, 02:03:55 PM

... you offering your card to pay that?

Dagardo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 14, 2008, 04:52:16 PM

You made me clueless. :B

Mao

Quote from: Dagardo on September 14, 2008, 05:01:42 PM

You said that Able should get $5000 for nothing.  He's asking for if you offering your credit card to pay that.

Dagardo

Quote from: Mowser on September 14, 2008, 05:12:11 PM
Quote from: Dagardo on September 14, 2008, 05:01:42 PM

You said that Able should get $5000 for nothing.  He's asking for if you offering your credit card to pay that.

Hey I never said I do it, I just said he should get $5000 for no reason. Lets go hold up Fort Knox, we'll think of something. >:3

Darkmoon

I wouldn't think I'd have to explain the difference between drawing and layout. Amazingly, the fact that you don't know the difference leaves me with the feeling that I don't have to care about explaining it. Excellent.