Spore

Started by Paladin Sheppard, September 06, 2008, 08:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin Sheppard

Why oh why must this game suck me in for hours on end  :cry

Picked it up yesterday and it was 10pm before I realized I'd not had dinner!

Not normally one for create a life games like the Sims and such but Spore is so damn well put together and easy to play.

Has anyone else got it and what are your thoughts?

Rakala

This is an awesome game. It's sort of like a sim/rts sort of thing. I only have one dissapointment and that is that I didn't get to use the creatures I created with the creature creator which was released ahead of time. I'm not really sure what I like about this game. It's like Okami, for some reason you're just having a good gaming experience.

Mao

It sounds really cool, but it's not something that I can see myself doing anything with.  I'd likely just wind up getting bored and making vulgar looking creatures with the sole intention of offending people.  I never really got in to SimCity or any other Sim for that matter. 

What sets this one apart from those other ones?

Rakala

D: Why oh why must my version be ignored. Seriously, no problem. As I said I only had one dissapointment, and that's that I couldn't use my already created creatures from the creature creator they released ahead of time.

Suwako

I think I am going to get it tomorrow and waste the rest of my life starring at that screen.  :<

Reese Tora

Quote from: Rakala on September 08, 2008, 02:12:31 PM
D: Why oh why must my version be ignored. Seriously, no problem.

Cuz this thread was started two days ago? :B

I may pick it up on the weekend; I had a little fun messing around with the creature creator, and I'm anxious to see how the full concept plays.

--edit--

huh, looks like I'm not getting it after all.  It turns out Spore installs with some pretty nasty DRM attached (three online activations max, one used at install, and there's no way to know what hardware changes could require using one... reinstalling windows definently does... after that it's call tech support or buy a new copy)

I don't buy games with invasive or draconian DRM on principle.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Kenji

There's apparently a non DRM'd one you can download.

Rakala

So I was looking over the Terms and Agreements for the game. Apparently any creature you create becomes property of the company. No exceptions. I honestly think that's so they can take some of the creatures you made and make them wild animals for other people to fight.

Jigsaw Forte

I would complain about the DRM...

... if it would frickin' run on my machine at ALL. *fume* It says my graphics card isn't hip enough apparently...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on September 08, 2008, 10:36:20 PM
huh, looks like I'm not getting it after all.  It turns out Spore installs with some pretty nasty DRM attached (three online activations max, one used at install, and there's no way to know what hardware changes could require using one... reinstalling windows definently does... after that it's call tech support or buy a new copy)

I concur.  This kind of behaviour does not deserve to be rewarded.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

I just spend half an hour with the creature creator.

I am so getting this.

techmaster-glitch

Pardon my ignorance, but what's DRM? :B

VSMIT

Digital Rights Management.  Some companies put it on their CD/DVDs so that they can't be copied without the company knowing about it, or not working at all.  My dad and I work really hard to keep DRM out of our system, since it would cripple our collection of MP3s (even though we own all of the CDs they go to)...

DRM is the new evil of the computer age.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Kenji on September 09, 2008, 02:27:51 PM
There's apparently a non DRM'd one you can download.

Yeah, but it's not the one you purchase legally from direct2drive :B

(yes, the cracked version was out since last monday, before the american release; when you consider that the reason that DRM is there is mainly to give the game a week or two to be bought legitimately before the pirates crack it, this completely defeats the explicit purpose of DRM in games)

If I'm going to play a game, it's on a legal copy or not at all.

@ techmaster-glitch:

Yeah, DRM(Digital Rights Management... or, as it's also refered to, Digital Restriction Management) is a catch-all phrase for technology designed to, at face, protect digital information from unlicensed copying and distribution.  This includes everything from the passive use of digital watermarking to the criminally draconian like this version of Securom.

I don't mind DRM that requires the CD to be in the drive, I don't mind anything that just prevents casual copying (ie: giving your install disk to your friend), but some of this stuff can compromise yourt security, damage your equipment, or prevent you from accessing the content you are legally licensed to access.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Suwako

I bought it and installed it even with the darn DRM, it's pretty nifty.

In 3.5 hours I was already in the clan age, though... also... less parts than I was expecting but still a good game.

I can even use my creatures from creature creator. ( aiyno already met his own 'planekings' and 'hunterslayers' )
also the epicbeasts are awesome, got killed by 2 of them. (including one made by himself 'fortressor' or something :B

Rakala

My life as I know it is now over.  :U

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Rakala on September 09, 2008, 02:54:33 PMSo I was looking over the Terms and Agreements for the game. Apparently any creature you create becomes property of the company. No exceptions. I honestly think that's so they can take some of the creatures you made and make them wild animals for other people to fight.
so what about those people who recreated copyrighted creatures, such as pokémon? It would be funny if they got into a lawsuit over things other people made
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Rakala

Right, becuase if it's their property it's their responsibility. >.>

thegayhare

I'm a little annoyed about how they cut out the aquatic phase.  I was looking forward to trying to evolve a completely aquatic advanced race.  but since it went from microbe to land in an instant no chances of that happening

Rakala

Yeah, but it's still pretty awesome. I'm almost to the tribal stage. I can't wait to see what''s next.  :boogie

Vidar

I'll probably get the DRM-free version, because there is no way I'm going to polute my precious computer with Securom, nor am I going to pay $50 for something crippled by draconia DRM. I'll pay money for it when the DRM is removed.

Once I have it, I shall scour the universe for the most vicious creatures around, and put them all on 1 tiny little planet for my amusement.

Also, I shall unleash said vicious creatures on all of my enemies.

\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Rakala

I currently have no competition as the single predator on the whole planet. First thing I did when I was satisfied with my creation is kill all the meanest things. Now I will herd up all the herbivores like cattle, eating them one by one until there is nothing left but me in all the universe!  :mwaha

Suwako

I'm in the space age.

(cell stage ) I was a carnivore, killed everything 
(creature stage) Became A predator, killed everything( 1 ally :B )
(Tribal Stage) aggressive ( 2 allies )
(city stage) military ( (2 allies, one got killed by my bigger ally)
(Space Stage) warrior.  (missions)

Space stage doesn't allow me to kill almost everything, cause everything is bloody stronger at first :<

My user name is Tytaj

my brother also plays on my account, at the same time :B
he has a herbivore.

Paladin Sheppard

Quote from: Aiyno on September 12, 2008, 11:44:46 AM
my brother also plays on my account, at the same time :B
he has a herbivore.

My recommendation? Eat him >:3

thegayhare

I just reached tribal stage as a preditor.

I'm having trouble getting my tribe off the ground.

I think I move too quickly to deal with the first villiage

I either wipe them out or ally with them and that seems to triger a bunch of other villiages.

I'll build up my villiage first gather food and build to full strength...  and I've got to remember muscicions do not make good warriors.

I named my species Queer, on planet gay.  so soon I'll have an army of queers and we shall decend on the world like a pink tide.

I think next time I'm going to try an omnivor...

Oddly enough I have run into the creatures I made for fun in the creature creator   It was weird seeing one of my vicous queers hunting down and killing a Willy for food

Rakala

Omnivores are quite useful because if you need to eat and there are no other animals around you just eat a piece of fruit. I made an omnivore. He's a lover, not a fighter.

Suwako

I made a omnivore now as well, actually before everyone else started talking about it, space is quite a boring place.

thegayhare

so tell me how do you evolve your creatures?

Do you wildly mutate them depending on your whims or do you gradualy change them, trying to make sense of it all

Myself I like to go wild and mess with the first cellular stage mutation and then gradualy evolve from there .

for instance I make the most notable changes in creature mode after brain has gone up a level,  I start them out on 4 feet or more, and then with every brain upgrade I straghten the spine, shift them up right, give them graspers,  I even try to incorperate the cell's features in the early stages of the creature, either making them vestigial or replacing them with similer parts

Suwako

Quote from: thegayhare on September 12, 2008, 09:22:06 PM
so tell me how do you evolve your creatures?

Do you wildly mutate them depending on your whims or do you gradualy change them, trying to make sense of it all

Myself I like to go wild and mess with the first cellular stage mutation and then gradualy evolve from there .

I gradually evolve them.
I started twice from the cell stage now, excluding the times my brother did that on my account.

My creatures and stuff can be viewed here: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=srch-Tytaj
You can see what people have by typing in their username.

I cheated only once starting from the Civ stage so that making a dragon is easier.

JackLee1978

I haven't had any problem with downloading and running it, except for that damn EA Download Manager.

I'm still at the Creature Stage, mainly because I keep having trouble befriending creatures.

I've got the Galactic Edition and this is what it has:

A hard plastic casing with embossed creations; A National Geographic DVD about Spore in a thin-cardboard sleeve; A poster; A 124-page hard-cover art book; and a Making of Spore DVD, game DVD and 95-page instruction book.

And could people put up their game name so I can add them to my buddy list (mine is JackLee1978).