The Dark Knight. With spoilers I guess.

Started by Gryphon, July 19, 2008, 01:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphon

I don't care anymore. But I'm going to keep trying until the reach the magical combination of information and interest for people.

Plainly put its a really good movie but a really long movie. Go to the bathroom before because you'll be there for two hours and thirty minutes. Plus the time it takes for you to get a good seat because this movie was sold out at my theater since wed morning. I'm not kidding.

It's really, really good. Go watch it. There is enough action and intensity that my friends who usually sleeps through movies actually stayed awake for this one.

Right if you cannot guess this movie is about Batman. It also has the Joker as well. I'm pretty sure the commercials and trailers showed Harvey Dent so it shouldn't be much of a surprise to see him in this.

Now to the nitty gritty. This isn't a movie about fists and explosions although this movie has plenty of both. This is a movie about beliefs and of words. It is about the nature of human beings. If you don't believe this is true just go play planescape torment and ask yourself one question. "What can change the nature of a man?"

The Joker, quite frankly, was played brilliantly as a psychotic villain and it frigging shows throughout the entire movie.

Now for the major spoilers. So pretty much stop here at this point if you want something not spoiled.

The Joker is a villain. Villains lie.
Some characters will say things so loaded with meaning that you can't help but to either laugh, moan or bang your head because you know it will come up later.
Character shields are down. I repeat. Character shields are down.
People die. Some quite horribly.
You will have moments where you will say OW.

You want more I'll say more. But I think this is enough for now.

Jairus

I'm not gonna be able to see this until next week, unfortunately...

But I am psyched as hell! I have been waiting for this since Batman Begins, and from what I've heard I will not be disappointed!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Pagan

You won't be. But now I'm wondering about the next one (there will be- this is the best paying movie of the summer, hollywood won't let this fish go). I'm hoping for Riddler.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Jairus

Quote from: Pagan on July 19, 2008, 01:13:39 AMBut now I'm wondering about the next one (there will be- this is the best paying movie of the summer, hollywood won't let this fish go). I'm hoping for Riddler.

Unfortunately, I don't think that a handful of Batman's villains will work in the Nolanverse (if that isn't a word yet, it should be): Mr. Freeze might very well be the hardest (and B&R might have ruined him in the eyes of movie viewers everywhere), Poison Ivy could work (maybe an environmental terrorist who prepares plant-based toxins beforehand and uses a kind of poison lip-gloss or something like that to create a signature crime) but then there's the whole B&R thing, Catwoman and Penguin have been done (yes, so has the Joker, but that took some work), and I can't think of any other really famous villains. I can imagine the Riddler working in this new world, maybe as someone buried deep within a criminal organization who uses riddles hidden in crimes he pulls off to lead the police around to capturing some nutjobs. Would it be spoilerific to ask if we have Two-Face on for the next movie?

Maybe some remnants of the League of Shadows will return in the third movie united around a new leader. That might work, but somehow I think it wouldn't.

King Of Hearts

If there's gonna be a third movie and if its going to remain a trilogy. I go with Ra's Al Ghul and bring the Lazarus pits into the story.

Penguin can work as a traditional gang boss/minor villain... [I am hoping for his return... he really havent gotten any good breaks despite bing one of Batman's true nemesises in the early days alongside Joker] but Black Mask may be a better candidate for such archetype if they are going for some "new" blood.

Havent seen TDK yet... lotsa people... Im gonna try tomorrow if the crowds have thinned a bit.

Zina

It's been hinted that the Riddler is going to be in the next movie.
They also said that they probably wont include Catwoman or the Penguin. I think they said they wanted to focus on villains that haven't been in movies as much.

I saw the movie a few days ago. I loved it. I was delighted by several things but I'll hold off on saying anything until more people have actually seen the movie.

The projector broke 20 minutes before the end, however. I can only assume that Batman saved the day.

Jairus

Quote from: Zina on July 19, 2008, 01:36:24 AMIt's been hinted that the Riddler is going to be in the next movie.
They also said that they probably wont include Catwoman or the Penguin. I think they said they wanted to focus on villains that haven't been in movies as much.

No offense to the Penguin and Catwoman, how but much can you do with them? The Riddler is one of Batman's most dangerous opponents because of his tremendous intelligence: if I can recall, he's one of the few villains to actually have figured out Batman's identity in the comics! Then again, since I don't really read comics, I'm only saying this from memory: maybe someone who does follow them can confirm or deny this?

Quote from: Zina on July 19, 2008, 01:36:24 AMThe projector broke 20 minutes before the end, however. I can only assume that Batman saved the day.

I've got a similar story. The first time I saw Star Wars Episode III, the sound and picture got knocked out of sync at about the point that Padme learned that Anakin had gone over to the Darkside. At about the point where Anakin and Obi-Wan where about to start their climactic showdown, it resembled that scene from Singing in the Rain where the speakers got knocked out of sync and you had the kidnapped girl going "Yes Yes Yes!" and the kidnapper going "No No No!" It was actually kind of funny (well, I wasn't and shall never be a member of the FanDumb, so I could laugh at it), and we all got a refund so that we could see the movie properly. On the plus side, the lightsabers sounded about right, but then again how are you going to tell in that circumstance?

King Of Hearts

Re: Riddler.

I wouldnt call him one of the biggest threats to Batman intellectually, he has the handicap of being subconsciously wanting to be found.

But Yep he figured out who Batman was... but got amnesia in the last Crisis and is now a good guy working as a legit Detective in Gotham. With entertaining results nonetheless.

Secretary: Edward, you have a visitor, you wont guess who it is!
Riddler: I dunno, Batman?
Bruce: Mr. Nigma, I am in need of your services.

There's also a new guy similar to him running around as well named Enigma, the M.O. doesnt fit, but the motiff is all too similar.

Gryphon

Dear lord I want to say whether or not whether two face is in the next movie or not. I really do. But I think that's a pretty big spoiler.

That said I probably should mention there is nothing after the credits.

Jairus

Quote from: Gryphon on July 19, 2008, 02:33:02 AM
Dear lord I want to say whether or not whether two face is in the next movie or not. I really do. But I think that's a pretty big spoiler.

That said I probably should mention there is nothing after the credits.

So, did you sit through the whole credits to find out? Or (forgive my paranoia) was there something so heart-rending awesome after the credits that I'd have a heart attack from watching it?

Pagan

I'm seeing it soon again anyway (multiple seeings planned, different groups of peeps). So I'll know if he's telling the truth about the credits.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

VSMIT

I actually just saw it, and I can confirm that there is nothing after the credits.

I can also give the spoiler that Two-Face will not be in the next movie.  And that is a hard fact.

Jairus

Quote from: VSMIT on July 19, 2008, 03:43:01 AM
I actually just saw it, and I can confirm that there is nothing after the credits.

I can also give the spoiler that Two-Face will not be in the next movie.  And that is a hard fact.

Oh... I'm starting to envision horrible scenarios of violence, death, and gore. I can't wait.

VSMIT

Yeah, Heath Ledger does the whole "psychotic killer" thing really well.  But he still doesn't hold a candle to Jack Nicholson.

And if there is a third, they'll have to find a new Joker, again...

Jairus

Quote from: VSMIT on July 19, 2008, 03:49:14 AMAnd if there is a third, they'll have to find a new Joker, again...

At least they can explain pretty much any differences in appearance as being the result of injuries in this movie.

Zina

The Joker didn't really endure any appearance altering injuries in the movie. He got knocked around a lot, but nothing that would change the way he looks.

Nikki

I haven't seen the movie, but i'm planning to tomorrow...today (2am here).

I'm not much for Batman/Spiderman/Whatever movies, but i'm learning to enjoy them.

Quicke question: Is the Joker as psychotic in this movie as i'v heard, or is he not really/even more so?

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Pagan

Though really, anyone with the copious amount of makeup would look alike. The difference would be in voice (though that could propably be fixed) and acting. For the Joker, just to clarify.

Amber Williams

I am personally rooting a well-done Poison Ivy.   :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 19, 2008, 04:57:33 AM
I am personally rooting a well-done Poison Ivy.   :B

Well, she's a well rooted character. And not in the way she wants...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Paladin Sheppard

Just saw the film with my mates. Pure gold it was, the mates are planing to see it again and again :P Damn shame Heath died cause it would have won him an Oscar for sure, still might :3 . As the Joker I rate him the best cause if you look back on the comics "The Killing Joke" in particular he's as dark as he can be funny.

Sunblink

A reviewer referred to Christopher Nolan as Christopher "Slowly Revealing Myself to be God" Nolan.

I cannot wait to see this movie.

Speaking of Christopher Nolan, I thought Memento was terrific, so I really do have high hopes for this movie.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mao

I went to the midnight showing of this and loved it.  The tired day at the office afterward was soo worth it.  Thought it made me want a bat-pod.  I wonder what kind of trouble I can get myself into with a motorcycle like that... hmm.

I think of all the jokers I've been subjected to, this one has to be my favorite version.  The one from the animated series is my second favorite.

Alondro

I think Nolan has proved he can create incredibly good villains.

Thus, I believe he is capable of tackling the complex character, Clayface.  Hopefully adapted from the cartoon backstory, which made him such a wonderfully tragic villain too.  And of course, this means there'd also be evil industrialist Roland Dagget and the addictive, flesh-altering potion 'Renew U'! 

I can see so much potential there.  The cartoon episodes themselves could've been expended to feature-length, there was so much material.

Plus, he's never been in any of the movies, so it's his time!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

King Of Hearts

Quote from: Xze-Xze on July 19, 2008, 04:40:03 AM

Quicke question: Is the Joker as psychotic in this movie as i'v heard, or is he not really/even more so?

Depends on the writer...

In the current story arc in Batman comics, he's pretty deranged. In the Justice League books he's more toned down in order to work with the other villians. In Batman: Confidential... he's pretty insane as well as this version mirrored Heath's version initially, in All Star Batman and Robin, Joker isnt even a laughing madman, he's a cool sophisticated villian.

Angel

Saw this the night it came out, with one of my best friends. Totally worth the two-and-a-half-hours, and the best $8.50 I ever spent. Like Spiderman 3, they squeeze 3 vilains into one movie (though the Scarecrow doesn't get to do much), but unlike Spiderman 3, it's a whole lot smoother and makes more sense. And doesn't have Tobey Maguire fail at being John Travolta.  :P Jokesy is just as cool as they made him out to be, if not cooler; I was curled up in my seat, biting my fist at some parts and freaking out, only to find myself laughing ten minutes later.

On a side-note, as a notorious movie-talker, I tried to control myself, even going so far as to write . I was not the only one, turns out. Even my friend leaned over and talked at times. (I asked her later, on a scale of one to ten, how bad was I? She told me 5, then said my usual was 10. Relief.)

Quote from: Pagan on July 19, 2008, 01:13:39 AM
You won't be. But now I'm wondering about the next one (there will be- this is the best paying movie of the summer, hollywood won't let this fish go). I'm hoping for Riddler.

That's what my coworkers said too... Personally, I'm thinking that they'll do the multi-villain thing and throw Catwoman into the mix.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Pagan

Movie talker? Hahahaha-heheehee. You know the loud guys up at the top of the theater that everyone hates? That's my friends and I.

Catwoman, god I hope not.

Damaris

You were doing fine until you insisted on putting those damn bullet point in at the end.  A review requires you to, you know, talk about the movie, not toss out random bullet points.

Go read IGN reviews, seriously, if you want to keep doing these without anyone cranking at you.  Because, right now, several posts after yours are better examples of reviews.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Sunblink

Just got back from an early screening of ze Dark Knight.

I feel strangely compelled to write a review, but somehow, the inspiration is leaving me as I type this up. I'll just summarize my thoughts thusly:

GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME MOTHEREFFERS.

Heath Ledger was amazing. Aaron Eckhart was amazing. Christian Bale was amazing. EVERYONE WAS AMAZING.

GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF CAPS LOCK

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Jairus

If any of you follow the Nostalgia Critic, he just did a Bum Review of The Dark Knight. No real spoilers, but it's probably the most telling review I've seen yet.