amber made a plot hole

Started by silentassassin, July 10, 2008, 07:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

!KCA

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 12, 2008, 05:44:37 PMTalking of holes, the discrepancy between Aary and Fi's description of her is interesting, but I'm sure that will be explained in due course.

This isn't a plot hole; Aary is smitten.

Reese Tora

Quote from: AmigaDragon on July 13, 2008, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Reese Tora on July 13, 2008, 04:05:03 PM
See, I was going to comment that you're wrong about the first plot hole appearing in chapter 1... I think all christians should be required to read Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, and be allowed to come to their own conclusions.
So many perceived plot holes can easily be attributed to incomplete or incorrect translation and interpretation.

Generally speaking, that's very true, but there are two points where I would differ in this specific case.  1) I find it hard to believe that two such widely different stories of creation were arrived at due to translators' errors.  2) Many people consider their version of the bible to be the truth, without consideration of translation errors.  I would primarily direct my original comment to people who are unwilling to consider that the bible may be allegorical rather than the complete and literal truth.
(One person I've read writtings from believes the two accounts are purposefully different in order to indicate to the reader that some of the stories within are not always meant to be taken as literal truth.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on July 13, 2008, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: TapewolfDemons certainly hold that viewpoint, but I don't think it is the case for all Creatures.  After all, Aary wanted to torture Dan to death for killing Destania.  (Talking of holes, the discrepancy between Aary and Fi's description of her is interesting, but I'm sure that will be explained in due course.)
Discrepancies between descriptions can be merely due to positional, racial or even temporal (time) differences in perception.

Perhaps, but while Kria considers herself to be evil and revels in it, and while Abel, Fa'Lina and Fi agree that what Destania was doing was evil (though their opinions differ on whether it's something to be proud of or not), Aary seemed to be quite adamant that Destania was not (see 259  - "Not that anyone cares!  After all, she's just a demon so she must have been evil.").

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

DarkAudit

Flashbacks by their very nature cannot be plot holes. They're just the retelling of events from a particular point of view.

Any discrepancy you may run into from time to time is merely the figment of a deranged imagination.

(The character's, not Amber's. That's another thread.)
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

silentassassin

:mowninja :mowninjawell i guess it's just ones view of good and evil after all those things are just states of mind like able not liking dee and aary loving her you could think someone is evil for muder but with a certain mindset think they are admirable

Mao

I'm sure the feeling was clear.  Especially since he took the time in his speech to thank "eveyone who came out and waved to [him]....with all five fingers."  Singling out those of us who only used one.  Means he didn't appreciate those of us who were only waving one.

Btw, I don't mind if you use any part of that Jai.

Back to the topic:  Good and Evil are a matter of perception.  This is the same for all opinions.  What is good to one person is evil to another.  What is cruel and torturous to one might be seen as strict and for their own good.  Much like Silent has just said.

silentassassin

Back to the topic:  Good and Evil are a matter of perception.  This is the same for all opinions.  What is good to one person is evil to another.  What is cruel and torturous to one might be seen as strict and for their own good.  Much like Silent has just said.
[/quote]

thank you

Alondro

*Charline hmphs*  The biggest plot hole is that I'm not in the comic as the ultimate evil villain yet!  And I obviously should be!   >:[
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jairus

Quote from: Alondro on July 15, 2008, 10:44:16 AM
*Charline hmphs*  The biggest plot hole is that I'm not in the comic as the ultimate evil villain yet!  And I obviously should be!   >:[

Yes, Charline. That is horrible. *idly pets Charlene on the head while doing the "crazy" sign to everyone else*

Come to think of it, we don't have one evil figure pulling all of the strings and controlling the various evil groups, do we? Or at least, not yet...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: silentassassin on July 15, 2008, 10:20:42 AM
Back to the topic:  Good and Evil are a matter of perception.  This is the same for all opinions.  What is good to one person is evil to another.
In this case, I don't buy that argument.  So far, DMFA has used a very fixed definition of 'evil' where Creatures are concerned.  By your line of reasoning, Fa'Lina etc would define murder and rampages as 'good', and for example, helping people to be 'evil', but that isn't quite the case.  They still refer to it as evil - the key difference in perception being that they know it's wrong and don't care / enjoy it.

Some references:

In strip 814, Fi says that Destania is evil.  Again, we also see the difference in perception - since Fi thinks evil is cool and seems to be surprised because Dan doesn't.

Strip 341 is a really good example of this - Lorenda is suddenly exposed to the notion that evil is not cool.

Again, in strip 493 Fa'Lina stops just short of saying that her academy teaches evil.

Now, the interesting thing is that Aary doesn't seem to think of Dee as evil, whereas everyone else(*) apparently does.
Though personally, I suspect KCA hit the nail on the head with their suggestion that she's seeing Dee through rose-tinted glasses.

(*)Dan being the obvious exception since he never knew about her past

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

In the context of the comic you're definitely correct there is a hard and true 'good' and 'evil'.  Though I wasn't meaning it to be viewed that way.  I was merely pointing out that one perceptions color them in a sense.  Hence the differing views of Aary and others.  I should have come up with a better way of describing it I guess.  Either way, what I'm getting at has already been covered by what others have said.

silentassassin

so this is the dmfa forums 40 posts down the road your farther away from the topic then you ever could :spidey aw i wanted batman

Jairus

Quote from: silentassassin on July 15, 2008, 08:44:33 PM
so this is the dmfa forums 40 posts down the road your farther away from the topic then you ever could :spidey aw i wanted batman

I haven't even been here two weeks, and already I'm having so much fun. I might even have to figure out a way to get to Anthrocon next year to meet some of these nut jobs in person.

Oh, and :batman

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

silentassassin

:batman dude i've been here for a few days and im having fun my brain has been partialy melted but fun none the less now i want a joker