[Art] Color some lineart!

Started by Mystiqe, July 08, 2008, 03:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystiqe

So I have some lineart! Would anyone like to color it? :3

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/190/6/5/Mysti__s_crazy_by_Mad_Cheshire.png here is the hi-res version if anyone would like to! to find a color ref for miss mysti, just look in my DA gallery :3

Mysti © Chelsey L. Bueckert

Have fun coloring guys!! <3

llearch n'n'daCorna

... I'm tempted to just flood-fill in black, and then post it, and look innocent.

*grin*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mystiqe

llearch n'n'daCorna

Extremely. Hence why I listed the temptation, rather than actually doing it. ;-]

Did you have any preferred colour patterns?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mystiqe

http://mad-cheshire.deviantart.com/art/Strut-Like-You-Mean-It-89597472 here are her colors, for the suit tho, they can be any colors, but the pants should be pinstripedd~ :3

Tapewolf

I might give that a go tonight...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mystiqe

Fragmaster01

Have some flat colors!

Ah, it's been a long time since I went on a color binge with someone else's lineart(1.5 years, actually). I like the lineart style, rather stylistic on parts like the hands, while not overly unrealistic. Also, I could never get the hang of lineart with variable brush width, and these lines are done exceptionally well with that style.

Mystiqe

Fragmaster01

One last update for this... morning now it seems.

Just the flats updated with some hair coloring. My method for hair coloring is a 5depth(neutral shade, 2 lights, 2 darks) with a smoothedged brush, 40-50% opacity, pen pressure controlling opacity. Start with the darks, shading in the hairs, then go to the lights. After that, go with general touchup hairstrokes where necessary, and occasional large smooth brushes to add darkness to a general area. I'll end it with some dodge and burn to fix it up, but I like to finish the colors on the whole picture before hand, so that I can see what I'm contrasting it with(unlike the hairstrokes, dodge/burn is very hard to undo just by painting).
The green highlights were done with a hue brush, occasional hairstroke paintovers, and a bit of dodge to change the contrast to match the new color.

Mystiqe

GabrielsThoughts

I'd do it, unfortunately some one else has beat me to the punch, and I'm behind schedule on comics...which is ironic, because I have no defined schedule.

I like profile pics because they're  so much less work then a conventional  multi-pannel series of art, not as many colors to keep track of.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Fragmaster01

Update of the day of next!

In this update, we finish the fur/wings.
For things like fur, I tend to use a variety of different methods to about the same effect. On places like the arms, there's a really obvious flow, so I can just paint in the shades like the hair. For things like the ears, while the flow is obvious, it's very large, and so I prefer to paint in celshades, then go over with the hairstrokes. With the face... I've never been able to figure out the flow of facial fur, so I paint in the celshades, then stripe in a general motion with the hairstrokes.
As for the wings, they're rather similar stylistically to Amber's "simplified" wings, albiet much lumpier and twisted to suit the character. However, as they follow in the clumpy feather style, they can be done just like the hair.
With the blends between black and green fur, I did it two ways, depending on the position. With things like the fingers and tail, where I had put the black directly on the flats, I paint up the two sides, color dodge the black side with the bright green, smudge the two together, then paint a top coat of hairstrokes to make it blend. For the face, I didn't want to paint on the black on the flats, as I had enough trouble trying to get the flow. In this case, I did a 100% hue brush of the neutral black shade, then smudged and overpainted as appropriate.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on July 08, 2008, 12:13:57 PM
I'd do it, unfortunately some one else has beat me to the punch, and I'm behind schedule on comics...
Same here, really.  Frag has already done a better job of flat-shading it than I'm likely to so anything I do is liable to be a bit redundant...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mystiqe

Fragmaster01

Ya, we wanna see more than just one person coloring it!

Mystiqe

exactly! I plan on coloring it later :3

Shadrok

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on July 08, 2008, 12:13:57 PM
I'd do it, unfortunately some one else has beat me to the punch,

Quote from: Fragmaster01 on July 09, 2008, 05:28:20 AM
Ya, we wanna see more than just one person coloring it!

Well in that case I think I'll give it a try too.

Mystiqe

Yay! Im so glad people are wanting to color my lines ^^ makes me feel good about myself, haha <3 thanks guys!

WhiteFox

I'd call this about... 3/4ths done, but if I spend any more time on it, it'll cut into my other projects, which other forum-goers are eagerly awaiting.

High(er) res here.

Hm. May have taken liberties with the hair. Wish i'd spent more time on the hat.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Mystiqe

Shadrok

Colored, shaded, and background, all done  :bunny

Mystiqe

Quote from: Shadrok on July 18, 2008, 12:09:14 AM
Colored, shaded, and background, all done  :bunny

ooooh thats awesomeeeeee

Shadrok