The End of Inuyasha

Started by JackLee1978, June 11, 2008, 11:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackLee1978

Quote from: Anime News NetworkThe 28th issue (released on June 11) of Shogakukan's Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine has confirmed that the next issue (on sale on June 18) will feature the final chapter of Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha time-traveling fantasy manga. Takahashi has been working on Inuyasha over the course of 11 years and seven months, more than 54 volumes, and 558 magazine installments. Inuyasha will be Takahashi's longest regularly serialized work — topping Urusei Yatsura (over eight years), Maison Ikkoku (seven years), and Ranma 1/2 (over eight years). (One-Pound Gospel, the Mermaid series, and Rumic Theater have all been running for more years, but were all also irregularly serialized and shorter in page count.)

Viz Media has been releasing the manga in North America, and it has also released the 2000-2004 television anime adaptation.

Valynth

I always thought that Inuyasha was anime's version of disco.  It loops indefinitely and will never die.  I'm glad I'm wrong.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Valynth on June 11, 2008, 11:48:02 AMI always thought that Inuyasha was anime's version of disco.  It loops indefinitely and will never die.  I'm glad I'm wrong.
doesn't that title belong to pokémon?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Valynth

Quote from: Jack McSlay on June 11, 2008, 11:52:57 AM
Quote from: Valynth on June 11, 2008, 11:48:02 AMI always thought that Inuyasha was anime's version of disco.  It loops indefinitely and will never die.  I'm glad I'm wrong.
doesn't that title belong to pokémon?

Nah, Pokemon is a sub-power of Nintendo and as such it is an emissary of gaming disco.  Thus it can't hold titles on it's own.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

Aisha deCabre

Huh, almost sad to hear.  Inuyasha was one of my favorite animes to follow, even though I hear that the final episode was a big disappointment (unfortunately or fortunately, I've never seen it).  Wouldn't mind reading the manga if it were in English either.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on June 11, 2008, 04:35:11 PM
Huh, almost sad to hear.  Inuyasha was one of my favorite animes to follow, even though I hear that the final episode was a big disappointment (unfortunately or fortunately, I've never seen it).  Wouldn't mind reading the manga if it were in English either.

i saw some of the series, and for the first dozen episodes i loved it- but for me i dont need to see the last episode to be disappointed, it took no time at all for them to completely forget they were hunting shards and instead focus on pointles drama seasoned with repeative fights leaving comedy behind in the dirt.

also, one night i turned adult swim on and they had some kind of movie cycle going, the movie in question was inuyasha, and in the first 3 minutes they kill the big baddie that they were chasing the entire series..... i don't know if thats a copout or if its more of a fanfic kinda plothole.

QuoteThis requires fire, and lots of it.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Rakala

I couldn't get all the way through it. After awhile it seemed the same. But I guess it wasn't as bad as DBZ which 15 minutes of each episode was spent powering up, monologing (sp?), doing nothing, and such other silliness. For a martial arts fighting series there wasn't that much fighting. The manga was much better because you could go at your own pace, that way if you wanted a long drawn out power up you can do that. But if you want to move quickly like in a real battle (or as quick as it gets) you could. I found Inu Yasha mostly the same way.

Teroniss

All I have to say is, DBZ for girls

Sunblink

I actually really liked the early volumes of the Inu-Yasha manga, particularly when Sango showed up. Her backstory was terrific. Oh, and the Thunder Brothers? I loved them. To pieces. Too bad nobody remembers them.

*nerd nerd* :B

But I still prefer One Piece and Ruroni Kenshin.  :boogie

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Jack McSlay

I'll have to say that Ranma 1/2 is Rumiko's biggest masterpiece. The randomness makes it far less repetitive than any other anime of about the same length I've so far, it's quite a disappointment that it wasn't carried over to Inu-Yasha.
And the fact she reused some stereotypes doesn't help much either, the Inu-Yasha/Agome/Kouga relationship really screams Ranma/Akane/Ryoga

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on June 12, 2008, 11:59:54 AM
I actually really liked the early volumes of the Inu-Yasha manga, particularly when Sango showed up. Her backstory was terrific. Oh, and the Thunder Brothers? I loved them. To pieces. Too bad nobody remembers them.

*nerd nerd* :B

But I still prefer One Piece and Ruroni Kenshin.  :boogie

~Keaton the Black Jackal
I think that's another downside of the series. too many awesome characters show up just to be killed shortly afterwards.

Reese Tora

I remembers the thunder brothers. :B

probably 'cause I never got too far into the anime due to... frankly, due to my sister buying the later DvDs out of order and then us not watching them 'cause we hadn't seen earlier disks.

Also, stopped reading the manga because she stopped working in the bookstore, so I stopped coming in regularly and seeing that the next book was out.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Valynth

I stopped watching because of this:

Inuyasha: "LOL! I kill 10000011000 demons !n 1 hts!"
baddies:  "INVULN SHELID"
Inu:  "WTF!!?!!?!1"

At that point it pretty much turns into a DBZ/RPG-esc gather crap as baddies gather more crap to counter the crap you just got.

King Of Hearts

I was nice... but too repetetive by the later eps.

at least Ranma had the whole sitcom vibe to it that it dispels any such feeling.

AngelSephy

I stopped watching after they started focusing on the relationship between Kagome and Inuyasha, rather then focusing on an actual story.

Goatmon

Quote from: Brunhidden on June 12, 2008, 12:50:41 AM
Quote from: Aisha deCabre on June 11, 2008, 04:35:11 PM

i saw some of the series, and for the first dozen episodes i loved it- but for me i dont need to see the last episode to be disappointed, it took no time at all for them to completely forget they were hunting shards and instead focus on pointles drama seasoned with repeative fights leaving comedy behind in the dirt.

also, one night i turned adult swim on and they had some kind of movie cycle going, the movie in question was inuyasha, and in the first 3 minutes they kill the big baddie that they were chasing the entire series..... i don't know if thats a copout or if its more of a fanfic kinda plothole.

QuoteThis requires fire, and lots of it.

From what I understand, Rumiko Takahashi borrowed many elements and ideas of the show from Fushigi Yugi, and the show took a decline in quality once all of the elements of the show were introduced and she ran out of stuff to "Borrow"

Whether it's true or not, it's pretty clear that the show took itself far too seriously further down the line, and the only comedy elements to it (Which were better integrated in the earlier episodes) became exclusive to the horrible filler episodes that were completely unfunny and had no purpose in the series other than to stretch out plot-based content.

The finale episode, as I understand it, didn't resolve anything.  It simply left off with a brief summary on how the story would continue on, and on and on.  Ugh. 

Rumiko Takahashi is a complete hack of a writer, who's only talent is for designing interesting characters. 

Brunhidden

ill just stick to outlaw star.... or at least i would if there were anywhere that sold or rented anime around here

now i feel old....

Toric

Quote from: Brunhidden on June 13, 2008, 06:49:56 AM
ill just stick to outlaw star.... or at least i would if there were anywhere that sold or rented anime around here

now i feel old....
You and me both, brother. The only anime I've found that stuck with me as well as Outlaw Star was the 12-episode-long Grenadier anime, which itself is marvelous. Limitless optimism hidden in a gun girl with a big chest.

Anyway, relevance. I never got too far into Inuyasha anime, and I honestly can't place the random later episodes I've caught into any sort of timeline: they all seem to be of the gang either fighting Naraku or traveling somewhere to boost the sword enough so they can fight Naraku. I really hope an 11-year manga is different, because that formula repeated for years would just be torture.
Yap by Silver.

Alondro

I have Outlaw Star, Trigun, and Escaflowne.

I've also watched TONS of series.

Recently:  Mokke, Mushishi, Darker Than Black, Black Blood Brothers, Hellsing Ultimate 1st OVA, New Evangelion OVA, D Gray Man (ongoing) , Reborn (ongoing), Soul Eater (new series)

Regular TV is just too stupid anymore, save for a few educational programs and Law & Order.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ShadesFox

Now I feel really old liking show like, the Slayers, Crest of the Stars, Super Atragon, and Star Blazers.

It seems like most anime (that is actually good enough to get translated) these days follows a pattern:
Good beginning
Peters out in the middle
Last episode hits you like a train wreck, making you realized how much of your life was wasted on this show.
The All Purpose Fox

Jack McSlay

I think no anime should not get past 50 episodes unless they ACTUALLY have a plot large enought to fill such. Because it may end up with three outcomes:
- All episodes become about the same, except for a thing or another, such as Pokémon and Inu-Yasha
- The anime spends whole episodes with pure stalling (Dragon Ball, Naruto)
- Run out of plot, making chars appear and disappear, and/or wasting whole eps on flashbacks (Saint Seiya)

So far, only a few long-running animes fully satisfied me - Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Ranma1/2. still, on both cases I found the first half much better than the second

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: ShadesFox on June 13, 2008, 03:45:51 PM
Now I feel really old liking show like, the Slayers

Erstwhile reminder: Incoming, fourth season!
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Brunhidden

and then what is almost as annoying as an anime falling to cheezy cleches is when a very good and promising anime suddenly STOPS even though theres enough story and plot to make it three times as long yet just as good.

examples

outlaw star- it practically ended with the beginning of a whole new batch of adventures set for season 2, as though it were a normal series, and yet somehow 'season 2' never happened

trigun- yeah, theres plenty they could have done. you have dynamic characters and entire decades of their lives that just don't appear in the series. come on, everyone in this series has a life that even them going to the barbershop is worth watching because you know something will happen.

tenchi muyo- the first series was great, and ended with potential for a lot more, but for some reason the creators thought 'lets make a redo, or an alternate universe, or something, just so we can do the whole thing over differently for no real reason". on this note tenchi muyo was the first anime i really watched, and i like, but tenchi universe was only okay and tenchi in tokyo was painful.

gokudo- you probably never heard of it, but like outlaw star the last episode is practically an intro for continued shenanigans.

Teroniss

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 13, 2008, 07:47:47 PM

Wait, fourth season of Slayers? If so, holycrapholycrapholycrapholycrapholycrap, HYOOOGE HAPPY FACE  :eager

By the way, anyone know where to find a copy of the SRD for the Slayers d20 BESM supplement? The makers of it, Guardians or Order usually have it free to download on their site, but the site has been down for some time.

ShadesFox

*strangles the ferret*

I'm so happy!  Can't you feel the love!  Another chance to ruin a perfectly solid ending!  Who wouldn't love that!  Why aren't you dead yet?  I've been strangling you for minutes.
The All Purpose Fox

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: ShadesFox on June 14, 2008, 03:06:07 AM

*strangles the ferret*

I'm so happy!  Can't you feel the love!  Another chance to ruin a perfectly solid ending!  Who wouldn't love that!  Why aren't you dead yet?  I've been strangling you for minutes.

All three seasons had perfectly solid endings, and you're complaining about the fourth season? Bad fox! No cookie for you! Also, I don't need to breath.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

King Of Hearts

Rumiko should stick to two things...

comedy and horror.

ShadesFox

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 14, 2008, 04:46:39 AM
All three seasons had perfectly solid endings, and you're complaining about the fourth season? Bad fox! No cookie for you! Also, I don't need to breath.

You don't need to breath?  That ruins the mood.
*keeps strangling anyways*
Still, I've become more and more impressed with industry's ability to ruin the past.  It has been over 10 years sense the last season.  Still, the dice have been cast, the new season should start next month in Japan.  We shall see what happens sir ferret.
The All Purpose Fox

Azlan

Geez, Shades thinks he is old...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Alondro

Actually, I thought "Trigun" ended well for the series, though I wish they'd kept it going so the manga's whole story would be animated.

"Ghost Hunt" was another that was getting more and more interesting, then just sorta stopped.

Worse than "Outlaw Star's" teasing ending are the endings to series that start out good, go into a whole bunch of episodes that really don't have anything to do with the central story, and then rush through a crappy ending the last two episodes.

"Black Cat" was a perfect example.  There are many other series that have done that, but I've forgotten them all as the ending ruined them so badly I banished them from memory.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Teroniss

Quote from: Azlan on June 14, 2008, 04:39:50 PM
Geez, Shades thinks he is old...

Indeed. Why, I still remember when I was watching shows like Captain Harlock, and Robotech, and oh right, Battle of the Planets