Warp-Aci Limits

Started by Raffe, May 16, 2008, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffe

(If this has already been posted, feel free to delete this. when i did a search, i couldn't find much)
Quote from: Demo. 101The Warp-Aci gets the name from it's ability to teleport objects or living beings from one location to another.  Using their paperlike tails, they are able to cut through a dimensional fabric of sorts which allows anyone within the circle to transport to wherever the Warp-Aci was commanded to go to.
Now my question is, how much limitation is there to acis?
Can an aci only warp to places it has been before? Or its owner has been to before? Either/or? While I was searching the forums someone thought that acis inherited memories of their owner when summoned, would that add on to visitable places?  Does memory gain also apply to changeing owners?  Can they teleport to a specific person?  Would a disguise counter that?  If an owner wanted to go to a city neither had been to before, would just the name or a map work? Can warp-acis exchange memories/destinations with each other?  Are there extremes acis cant teleport to(above a hot volcano, too much ocean pressure, space, too cold? They aren't meant for combat, but could they teleport inside someone(warp into brain, K.O.)? Or while they are mostly magical creatures, do more solid objects override them(hiding in a sword while not damaging either)? Could there knife-tails be used as a weapon? Could they teleport someones head off?  Is there a limit to what they can teleport(giant griffons, planets, liquids/lava)? Do acis know if their master is calling them from afar?

...Or is there pretty much no limitation? Except for dimensions(Mab motherland etc.)?

Could a highly magical person who is also shapeable enough imitate aci skills(Deebs=good part pure magic/pretty much any shape)? Would a patch to make a highly magical person look like a warp-aci have the same effect?
Hooray ellipsis!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Deebs on May 16, 2008, 01:29:50 PM
Could there knife-tails be used as a weapon? Could they teleport someones head off?  Is there a limit to what they can teleport(giant griffons, planets, liquids/lava)? Do acis know if their master is calling them from afar?

I'd like to think that they can teleport someone's head off, or lop it off with their tails (because I've used this approach in some of my writings).
On the other hand, Amber has said that they are generally less powerful than the summoner (a sensible precaution, after all).  That said, Fi is liable to be considerably more powerful than Dan because it was summoned by Fa'Lina.  And even if the clan it was bound to restricts the power level, Cyra are supposed to be a very powerful clan.

QuoteCould a highly magical person who is also shapeable enough imitate aci skills? Would a patch to make a highly magical person look like a warp-aci have the same effect?
The patch, probably not.  However, many Creatures are able to learn to teleport.  That may extend to cross-dimensional warping as well.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Raffe

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2008, 02:27:04 PM
I'd like to think that they can teleport someone's head off, or lop it off with their tails (because I've used this approach in some of my writings).
On the other hand, Amber has said that they are generally less powerful than the summoner (a sensible precaution, after all).  That said, Fi is liable to be considerably more powerful than Dan because it was summoned by Fa'Lina.  And even if the clan it was bound to restricts the power level, Cyra are supposed to be a very powerful clan.
So...would that be the tail can move so far per magic unit? Saying that if it were used on a Fae, who are higly magical, the most one might get is some fur?
Or would physical contact be like crinkling the tail as when Dan wadded up the letter?
Hooray ellipsis!

Sid

Can an aci only warp to places it has been before? Or its owner has been to before? Either/or? While I was searching the forums someone thought that acis inherited memories of their owner when summoned, would that add on to visitable places?  Does memory gain also apply to changeing owners?  Can they teleport to a specific person?  Would a disguise counter that?  If an owner wanted to go to a city neither had been to before, would just the name or a map work?

Let's put it this way:
Fi had to be mailed to Dan the first time around. Assuming that this wasn't just Fa'Lina being totally silly, it would mean that you can't teleport to a location neither you nor the Warp-Aci has been to before.
Compare that to the second attempt, when Fa'Lina teleported to Lost Lake with a new Warp-Aci. So I'd guess that the link allows owner and Warp-Aci to share information (Fa'Lina knew the Lost Lake location after mailing Fi there, and she in turn could share this information with Fu), so  it would be enough if either of the two knows the location.

So yes, this would mean that Fi right now could teleport Dan (or anybody else) to any place it has been to so far. In addition to any place Dan has been to so far.

About teleporting to specific persons... my gut tells me no, but we have seen Fa'Lina making a pinpoint strike on Pyroduck. Then again, it's possible (and in my opinion more likely) that she simply teleported into the general area and then prepared an ambush.

Can warp-acis exchange memories/destinations with each other?

That's a pretty good question. On the one hand, the link between owner and Warp-Aci seems to be fairly strong and unique (Fa'Lina could sense Fi and its sudden absence over a large distance), so it's possible that this link is the key to sharing location information. On the other hand, we don't know how efficiently Warp-Aci can communicate. There is no Word of God on this, since such a situation never really came up.

Are there extremes acis cant teleport to(above a hot volcano, too much ocean pressure, space, too cold?

I personally like the thought of a Warp-Aci being able to teleport a victim over a live volcano, but in execution, it seems somewhat unlikely since they're apparently sorta fragile (or at least not more damage-resistant than a Being). However, teleporting somebody a few miles above a hot volcano may be possible... :mwaha

They aren't meant for combat, but could they teleport inside someone(warp into brain, K.O.)?

Telefragging also sounds like a cool idea, but I think it's a lot more unlikely than the above scenario. I'm no physics prof, but when two solid objects try to occupy the same space at the same time, the result most likely isn't pretty for either of them (and maybe the surrounding area...).

Or while they are mostly magical creatures, do more solid objects override them(hiding in a sword while not damaging either)?

Fi was solid enough to open a fridge and to be (partially) eaten by Pip, so I think they're "solid enough". Also, I think the consensus was that the sword was enchanted/magical (or at least the jewel there was), so Fi could sorta use it as a genie lamp. But that's just me making an educated guess; I didn't look it up again and I wasn't particularly active at the time.

Could there knife-tails be used as a weapon? Could they teleport someones head off?  Is there a limit to what they can teleport(giant griffons, planets, liquids/lava)? Do acis know if their master is calling them from afar?

Like Tape, I wouldn't exactly oppose this. ;) And the calling part may not be completely impossible at least, given how Fa'Lina implied that her link with Fi was reliable enough even at the SAIA/Lost-Lake distance. However, I'd think that this seriously depends on the power of the owner. Long-distance telepathy most likely isn't trivial. Or at least harder than simply sensing a specific presence.

Could a highly magical person who is also shapeable enough imitate aci skills(Deebs=good part pure magic/pretty much any shape)? Would a patch to make a highly magical person look like a warp-aci have the same effect?

I think that a magical creature that already has such powers could be made to look like a Warp-Aci, but... why? And I think that not all magical creature will automatically be able to emulate or recreate such powers, at least not without considerable effort. If they could, nobody would bother to summon a Warp-Aci, after all. So while technically possible (I guess), the real issue is if it would be worth the effort.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2008, 02:27:04 PM
On the other hand, Amber has said that they are generally less powerful than the summoner (a sensible precaution, after all).

Mh? What was the context for that? Judging just from what you wrote, I'd argue that Warp-Aci are sort of one-trick ponies, but that they're potentially really good with their one trick. They lack other magic, skills and resistance (and are thus less "powerful" than their owners), but they can tear fricken holes into the dimensional fabric. And "power" can be a deceiving term: If a Warp-Aci teleports you a mile above the ground, you will technically die from the impact after the fall, but the one who effectively killed you will be a tiny black creature with zero combat skills. ;)
But like I said: I don't know what Amber said, so this is more blind speculation than anything else.
:boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on May 17, 2008, 06:43:53 PM
Mh? What was the context for that? Judging just from what you wrote, I'd argue that Warp-Aci are sort of one-trick ponies, but that they're potentially really good with their one trick. They lack other magic, skills and resistance (and are thus less "powerful" than their owners), but they can tear fricken holes into the dimensional fabric. And "power" can be a deceiving term: If a Warp-Aci teleports you a mile above the ground, you will technically die from the impact after the fall, but the one who effectively killed you will be a tiny black creature with zero combat skills. ;)
But like I said: I don't know what Amber said, so this is more blind speculation than anything else.

From Demonology:
Most summoners are bright enough to know not to summon something with enough power to cause them trouble... most...

I've heard rumours that they can't do the decapitation thing, with that being cited as the reason, but I kept it in FH anyway because it was kind of cool.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Raffe

Hmmmm....teleport temperatures?
Hooray ellipsis!