04/27/08 [#75] - Connecting the dots.

Started by AndersW, April 27, 2008, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

Well Daisy put 2 and 2 together.  But then again she may have a family connection.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Two plus two equals five.

For sufficiently large values of two. And sufficiently small values of five.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

stiletto

Yes, but two sets of five is still two more then none of them.

Stupid N00bie

also, going to need a bit of definition for a "light child."  Is it a catch all for dead inside?  Is autistic the same as our definition?  Will whatsisface give an awkward answer?
Can you conceive the birth of a world, or the creation of everything?
Creation takes time.
Time is limited... for you.
It is limited by the breakdown of the neurons in your brain.
I have no such limitations.
I am limited only by the closure of the universe.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe,
as inevitable as your own last breath.
And yet, there remains time to create. To create, and escape.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Stupid N00bie on April 27, 2008, 10:05:56 PM
also, going to need a bit of definition for a "light child."  Is it a catch all for dead inside?  Is autistic the same as our definition?  Will whatsisface give an awkward answer?

No, Yes, and it's Nate, dammit! :-p

The Light Children are to Dead Inside what Touched are to Celeste, but it's a little more complex than that; If it helps I'll be holding a quick Q&A before the next plotline begins (which won't be long now, thanks to a certain box) so if you want to ask again then...

llearch n'n'daCorna

... or you can read the various comments in this forum. ;-]

I'm pretty sure Jiggy has posted before on the subject.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

i had the opportunity to start this thread, but chose not to wondering how long it would take someone to do it this time.

and here is where we see how quick jig is with snappy comebacks- she could state her eyes are kind of like mine, where if you get a reflection just right they glow demonic red. eowyn has it too, and it drives photographers to no end of grief when the super cute 3 year old they just took a photo of turns out to be evil gremlin on film. as for the freak out, she can always play along with the head injury card, probably behaving erratically on purpose the rest of the day just so people stop with the questions.

although watching her speechless is kind of fun, even if the 'blink' under each eye looks a bit weird
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Stupid N00bie

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 28, 2008, 05:09:04 AM

I could...  but I'm lazy, and have a calculus test today.  Specifically my last test before my final (Oh God, help).

So, Daisy is incredibly smart, but has the social capability of a child?  But wait, the cast page says she is also very charismatic.  Kinda  incompatible isn't it?
Or is this a "ITS SCIENCE DAMNIT" thing?
Creation takes time.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Stupid N00bie on April 28, 2008, 11:44:27 AM

I could...  but I'm lazy, and have a calculus test today.  Specifically my last test before my final (Oh God, help).

So, Daisy is incredibly smart, but has the social capability of a child?  But wait, the cast page says she is also very charismatic.  Kinda  incompatible isn't it?

1) What makes you think charisma is incompatible with the autism spectrum, let alone the particular case Daisy has had 50+ years to refine and "grow into"?
2) Who said the dossiers were 100% credible?  >:3

Stupid N00bie

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on April 28, 2008, 02:17:32 PM

1) What makes you think charisma is incompatible with the autism spectrum, let alone the particular case Daisy has had 50+ years to refine and "grow into"?

1) Oh, I don't know.

JUST THIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
Quote from: wikipediaPeople with autism have social impairments...  About a third to a half of individuals with autism do not develop enough natural speech to meet their daily communication needs.
Your going to say the she is in the other half, or what she does say, she says very well, right?

2) Is this one of those 'Don't take it as word of god' things?
Creation takes time.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Stupid N00bie on April 28, 2008, 03:07:59 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on April 28, 2008, 02:17:32 PM

1) Oh, I don't know.

JUST THIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
Quote from: wikipediaPeople with autism have social impairments...  About a third to a half of individuals with autism do not develop enough natural speech to meet their daily communication needs.
Your going to say the she is in the other half, or what she does say, she says very well, right?

2) Is this one of those 'Don't take it as word of god' things?

I'm going to say she is on the "Autism Spectrum" / "Autistic" as opposed to the "full-blown Autism" described there, as the specific terminologies and classifications on what is and isn't Autism are highly controversial and individuals can receive very different diagnoses depending on when they're discovered / what their actual issues are / which issues actually show up when examined.

Some individuals are more than able to communicate and speak with others, some just feel more comfortable with written communication than verbal, and some just take a little longer to learn how to do things than others do.  And all things considered, this is all occurring far enough in the future that various therapies and technologies will have rendered some of these issues / constraints to no longer exist or otherwise exist only as secondary traits for the actual "root causes" of Autistic behavior and functionality.

As a reminder, you're looking at a 51-year-old autistic woman, which isn't to say she was behaving like this when she was, say, a 5-year-old autistic girl. Being autistic does not mean you can't grow up; it just means it doesn't come as easily.

Starcat5

How about we just say she has Asperger's Syndrome, which most people agree is on the high end of Autism anyway, and call it a night? Having Asperger's (and ADHD) myself...

...slag it. I've retyped and wiped this blasted sentence over and over again for a half hour now, and apparently Jigsaw just posted something. Long story short, I'll be keeping my eyes open to see how Daisy develops.

Also, could someone point me to information on the Touched and the Celeste? I don't even remember Touched being mentioned in the comic yet.

Edit: Ok, so Touched HAVE been mentioned in the comic before. So, aside from bat wings verses bird wings, what actually differentiates these two groups? *Goes back to rereading archives*

Edit x2: Ok, so the Extras section got updated while I wasn't looking. >_<ยก *Reads* So if "the Light Children are to Dead Inside what Touched are to Celeste", as Jigsaw said, that means that Light Children are Soul Deficient, but not enough to qualify as Dead Inside. But then again, that bonus comic is flagged as not entirely cannon, and is being told by a biased source. Also, in the post mentioned above, Jigsaw mentioned that the connection between Light Children and Dead Inside are more complex than the Touched simply being a watered down form of Celeste.

...or I could be completely off the mark. That, and I suspect that Nate's description of Efreet being "Evil, the whole Evil, and nothing but the Evil" may in fact be slightly biased.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Brunhidden

i can relate to the 'autistic spectrum', supposedly i too am autistic, and have to go into a psychiatrist soon to be re-diagnosed as the person who first diagnosed me seems to have been unqualified. theres such a thing as 'high functioning' in addition to forms of autism which merely give you very strange quirks reminiscent of OCD or make you unable to feel a specific emotion.

my sister taught autistic children grades 3-5, and the range is incredible- everything from sweet little girls who randomly rip their hair out in chunks, to kids duct taping razors to their inner thigh for no real reason, have a habit of licking their desks, scream whenever someone says a specific word, and even a few kids with helmets
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.