Original Art?

Started by CameronCN, March 22, 2008, 03:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CameronCN

As you may recall, back when Amber auctioned off all of her original DMFA artwork I was one of the winning bidders. It's been a while, and I have three questions for you all about it:

1. Back at the time, there was a lot of talk about scanning our originals for archival purposes. I haven't heard a word about it since. Are we still going to do this? If so, who's going to organize it? I'm in favor of the idea, if it's still going forward...

2. Considering said desires for archiving, how mad would certain of you* be if I decided to sell some of my batch off in individual lots? I have over a hundred, after all, more than is really sane for me to keep around...

3. If conditions turn out to be favorable in relation to the above two questions, would you want to buy some original art? :)

*I know Amber doesn't mind, but some of you might.

Tapewolf

Quote from: CameronCN on March 22, 2008, 03:51:17 PM
As you may recall, back when Amber auctioned off all of her original DMFA artwork I was one of the winning bidders. It's been a while, and I have three questions for you all about it:

1. Back at the time, there was a lot of talk about scanning our originals for archival purposes. I haven't heard a word about it since. Are we still going to do this? If so, who's going to organize it? I'm in favor of the idea, if it's still going forward...

I have the complete (extant) set of 'Disasters' scanned in at 300 dpi.  It is about 450MB, which is more than I can comfortably store in my own webspace.  I have transferred copies to Robbie, who is looking to recolour the strips, and I'll be doing the Jyrras' Family arc in the near future, although that does raise certain issues - some of the strips are considered 'sensitive' by Amber.

Anyway, If you are selling them, I for one would be interested.  But I'd rather they were sold as a whole set, i.e. per arc - splitting up a story into bits is something that would not make me happy to see.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

CameronCN

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2008, 04:18:37 PM
I have the complete (extant) set of 'Disasters' scanned in at 300 dpi.  It is about 450MB, which is more than I can comfortably store in my own webspace.  I have transferred copies to Robbie, who is looking to recolour the strips, and I'll be doing the Jyrras' Family arc in the near future, although that does raise certain issues - some of the strips are considered 'sensitive' by Amber.

Anyway, If you are selling them, I for one would be interested.  But I'd rather they were sold as a whole set, i.e. per arc - splitting up a story into bits is something that would not make me happy to see.

Only 300 dpi? I'd do 600 for sure. Why would they be considered 'sensitive?'

Anyway, I'd be happy to scan mine if anybody wanted them.

As for splitting them into bits, well, that's a better value for me... but I do have two complete arcs, so maybe I could part with one and keep the other. Maybe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: CameronCN on March 22, 2008, 04:35:11 PM
Only 300 dpi? I'd do 600 for sure. Why would they be considered 'sensitive?'
In all honesty, 600dpi didn't make much difference.  I suspect the scanner - being inexpensive - was not the best choice for the job.  It would also have made them even more of a problem to transfer.

As for sensitive:

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_366.php

Dannysaysnoo

While we're on the subject, what arcs were sold?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on March 22, 2008, 04:50:41 PM
Everything in the main series up to the end of the SAIA arc, IIRC.

CameronCN

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2008, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on March 22, 2008, 04:50:41 PM
Everything in the main series up to the end of the SAIA arc, IIRC.

No, everything in the main series up to "Light Lunch." I should know--I have them. :)
(I have "Get me to the church" and "Light Lunch.")

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2008, 04:18:37 PM
I have the complete (extant) set of 'Disasters' scanned in at 300 dpi.  It is about 450MB, which is more than I can comfortably store in my own webspace.  I have transferred copies to Robbie, who is looking to recolour the strips, and I'll be doing the Jyrras' Family arc in the near future, although that does raise certain issues - some of the strips are considered 'sensitive' by Amber.

I'd be happy to host a copy, either on my colo or my dsl. For archival purposes, my dsl is probably closer to home, as it were...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears