03/17/08 [DMFA #887] - Robes are just like dresses in that regard

Started by thegayhare, March 17, 2008, 10:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

I don't even want to know how he hid that, unless it was some kind of magic necklace and he pulled a Dr. Pym (ANT MAN reference)
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Daymond42

I think I really gotta feel sorry for Dan, thinking back a few strips back. So, if he had that weapon on him when he was dropped into the box... can you imagine if he had fallen on it?

Bad enough to fall a small distance and land on your keys in your pocket...

Jack McSlay

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 17, 2008, 04:47:18 PM
   Hmm, actually, that thing is blurring the line between a broadblade shortsword and a full-fledged megasword; to qualify as a mega, it has to be the same length as, if not very close to, the wielder's body, as well as being close to the same width. Basically, it's gotta be the same size YOU are.
   The reason why I said it was blurring the line is because it looks like it was indeed meant to be Cloud's Buster Sword.
I personally think that counts as a buster sword, but not as a megasword. Tho I believe there's several other sword classes not yet seen from dan such as rapiers, scimitars, sabres and zweihanders, so I guess we'll need a closer look ad Dan's collection
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 17, 2008, 04:07:47 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 17, 2008, 03:54:30 PM
Dan. Doesn't. Use. Hammerspace.
Yet.
Dan hasn't used Hammerspace up to now in the main sequence of the story.  Since the current arc is a flashback, it takes place entirely before the main sequence, meaning that he won't use Hammerspace in this arc unless he gets retconned or enters some sort of temporal discontinuity.

By the way, Matilda doesn't seem to have much of a hangup about clothes, and she definitely knows that Dan is a boy.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Psaakyrn

One other point you all seem to be missing....

Cubi ARE SHAPESHIFTERS!

He may be doing it unconsiously.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Fuyudenki

QuoteAlexsi's ability to draw her mallet from out of nowhere is similar to Dan's swords.

Dan has access to the bladed variant of Hammerspace.(in BESM version 2, this was still called "hammerspace."  I'd have to look up the Version 3 title.)

I love Dan's reaction in panel 3.

Also, I though it looked like he was averting his eyes last page.

[Addendum]
Quote from: Psaakyrn on March 17, 2008, 10:20:05 PM
One other point you all seem to be missing....

Cubi ARE SHAPESHIFTERS!

He may be doing it unconsiously.
I doubt it.  Doesn't it take a significant amount of time and practice to shapeshift things out of your body?(such as removable clothing)  Nevermind Abel's comments seem to indicate shapeshifting itself isn't exactly something you do by accident.

Lucheek

But Aary said that shapeshifting takes many years of practice, I don't think you could do it subconscienclessly. And Matilda could also tell that he was a cubi without seeing his headwings or clan-marking, so she has more acute senses. I'm just used to Amazons being hateful of males...

I always imagined Dan would store the swords in his dresses and robes by having them paralell to his body to avoid stabbing. Large ones on the back, thinner ones possible against legs.

And Alexi doesn't really  use Hammerspace...her hammer is magical, it can appear-dissapear.

Seth

QuoteAlexsi's ability to draw her mallet from out of nowhere is similar to Dan's swords.

I think it's the only magic Dan can really do, he just subconsiously thinks he's hiding it in his robe and/or dress.
If you know what I did... Then kudos to you.

Brunhidden

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Madd the Sane

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 17, 2008, 01:12:38 PM
Also in regards to Amber's rant; Noble though it may be, she has, almost word-for-word, touched upon something that is virtually impossible to stop...Hmm...what is it? Oh yes...
Ship

See also:
Everything Related To Shipping

For good measure:
Other Related Stuff

You forgot those who will die for their ship.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Madd the Sane on March 17, 2008, 11:46:14 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 17, 2008, 01:12:38 PM
Also in regards to Amber's rant; Noble though it may be, she has, almost word-for-word, touched upon something that is virtually impossible to stop...Hmm...what is it? Oh yes...
Ship

See also:
Everything Related To Shipping

For good measure:
Other Related Stuff

You forgot those who will die for their ship.
Incidentally, I did consider linking that, but didn't in favor of the entire batch of Shipping, rather than one specific one. I figured everyone would find that on their own.

e_voyager

when on and adventure you can hide weapons almost everything and they well never bee seen unless you're in battle or have been searched. and then there they is the 9/10 rule were 9/10'ths of you weapons will be confiscated but you will be left with all you really need to escape if you can use you brain and brawn to pull it off.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

WhiteFox

Once again, I am amazed by peoples tendency to over analyze *everything*

It's a comic strip. That was funny. Dan likes swords. Explanation enough for me.

Mmm. Swords.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

AnizInDisguise

I agree, too much over-analysis. I just tell myself that he hides them in there, and then I don't think about it anymore. It hurts less that way.

Zedd

Its always fun when the protaginist has the upperhand and best always not to think about it

Naldru

I'm an engineer.  I analyze everything.  (It drives my wife and daughter crazy.)

There is another possibility for unconscious shape shifting.  Perhaps when Dan places the sword behind his back, his back changes shape slightly so that the sword will fit better and not be seen.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

e_voyager

while i do over analyze  everything it's part of what makes things funny.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

ConfusedNewbie

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 17, 2008, 04:45:40 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 17, 2008, 04:07:47 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 17, 2008, 03:54:30 PM
Dan. Doesn't. Use. Hammerspace.
Yet.

I believe that was origami, not Hammerspace.

My favorite quote from the whole series takes place in that strip...
"My tea tastes like joy now... How horrid"

Kuari

Quote from: ConfusedNewbie on March 18, 2008, 11:30:54 PM
My favorite quote from the whole series takes place in that strip...
"My tea tastes like joy now... How horrid"

Ooooo...  I know how to make that doctor's brain explode..  we play the happy happy joy joy song!!!! :p

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Kuari on March 18, 2008, 11:55:52 PM
Ooooo...  I know how to make that doctor's brain explode..  we play the happy happy joy joy song!!!! :p

That won't make his brain explode... That will make him make our brains explode...

e_voyager

correct. only those with out souls  or those that are innocently pure can stand that song for any extend periods of time. Dr. ink and Fa`Lina are special though. then have knowledge and wisdom that makes them exempt form the standard wear and tear of this song.

Kuari

Quote from: e_voyager on March 19, 2008, 01:40:33 AM
correct. only those with out souls  or those that are innocently pure can stand that song for any extend periods of time. Dr. ink and Fa`Lina are special though. then have knowledge and wisdom that makes them exempt form the standard wear and tear of this song.

Fair enough...  we get an army of Stimpy clones and play this song, then run like hell hoping the world doesn't implode.