02/22/08 [Filler Comic] - it's dead jim

Started by e_voyager, February 22, 2008, 02:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

It was a good machine it did it's job and work hard until the last. but in the end it was not match for time. Well i can't help but use a star trek reference. I doubt that even bones would hold it against me
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Darkmoon

Amber on Dmoons account:

I'm still quite cranky at this development. In some ways, it is something I should always be prepared for.  I mean...I am pretty much staying with family members away from home and using their resources to work on my comic. I cannot always expect things to go according to plan 100% of the time.  At the same time, it is just so frustrating to get this of all things handed to me. Program errors I can handle, simply being tired I could be glad...but part failure? Thats just weak.

As I said, I will be looking into scanners...but really...I dont know if it is wise of me to consider dipping into the funds I just recently got.  But as I said, it is also unfair of me to suddenly spring a bill for something expensive on my brother when he has his own bills and finances to consider. It's very possible he doesnt have the means to just drop 100-200 on a scanner just cause I want one for the two weeks I'm here.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated on this.  I will be honest. At this point, I can afford to buy the scanner...but it would be ultimately cutting into the money I had originally intended to save for shirts and/or rainy days.  The plus side is I would be able to get comics up and going while I am down here. The downside is...well...longrun it may not be so hot for me.

Other alternative is to just say "farg this!" and declare an impromptu guestweek of guest art and guest comics while I am down here.  And spend the two weeks working on stuff for when I return.  The main reason I havent done this is because I sort of feel REALLY bad about having just gotten a bunch of generous donations only for me to declare haitus.  It sort of feels like I've grabbed the money and ran. X_x

So yeah...opinions would be good. What do you guys think?
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Kenji

If its of any use, Walmart and such stores tend to sell small portable scanners, like the kind most artists take to AC, that are essentially just a small tube-like structure where the picture goes in, gets scanned, and just kinda comes out the other side of the scanner as it goes.

Could always snag one for when you go road tripping. I think I've seen them for about $30 or so.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Kenji on February 22, 2008, 02:26:42 AM
If its of any use, Walmart and such stores tend to sell small portable scanners, like the kind most artists take to AC, that are essentially just a small tube-like structure where the picture goes in, gets scanned, and just kinda comes out the other side of the scanner as it goes.

Could always snag one for when you go road tripping. I think I've seen them for about $30 or so.
Yea, you could do that, and keep it with you whenever your away from home - And, so long as it worked well, you would have a back up if your home one failed.

Now, I am not sure how different things are where you are, but over here, in Washington, you can usually find a couple scanners for $5-10 used at thrift stores/second hand shops. Obviously, if you could find a working one for $5-10, that would be perfect.

If you decided you needed to get a full priced new scanner, it wouldn't be that bad, as you could keep it in the car, just like a small one, and when your home one fails... No downtime!

Guest week is obviously the easiest option, and when you got back we readers would most likely get more out of it than a typical week, and even if not, we still wouldn't be unhappy... But, as always, it is up to you.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

AmigaDragon

A couple other alternatives... do you know anyone nearby with a scanner you can use for the duration?

OR...

Do you have a digital camera you can snap  pics of your strip with instead? Even a webcam if you do each panel separately to get the full use of available resolution.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Paladin Sheppard

Amber I say give yourself a break and let others do your work for you for once! Bring on the guest strips! :3

ibneko

Check the local public library? Some of the newer ones with very nice computer labs have scanners that can be used.

Alternatively, I think some Kinko fax-copy places offer scanning services.  Might be somewhat costly though...

Or worst comes to worst, there's always the digital-camera-then-clean-up method.  Definitely not pretty, but it'll work in a jiffy~ and digital cameras are much more common than scanners.

e_voyager

all things are possible but i say that guest strips are right and you can use this time to relax or create a few draft / inked comics to use later.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kenji on February 22, 2008, 02:26:42 AM
That sounds like a pretty good idea.  Failing that, I'd go with the guest strips.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Paul

Personally, I think it'd be perfectly fine if DMFA took a hiatus due to force majeure. But it's quite clear that you don't like that option much. So my humble suggestion is: Don't buy a scanner; don't get your brother to buy one, either. Use the time you can't use for scanning and colouring now for drawing - build up a buffer of strips, and then you can upload the "missed" strips once you're back home and get them scanned & coloured. That way, the 3 DMFAs per week schedule holds up on average, and (hopefully and most importantly) you don't feel bad for missing out.

Turnsky

well, if i were in amber's shoes, i'd use this as the perfect opportunity to build up a buffer of sorts for inked comics.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

WhiteFox

I'm getting flashbacks to when my computer had a stroke... it was semi workable, barely. Longest week ever.

I'm not going to say no to a hiatus or guest comics. Some art or wallpapers when it's over would be nice, though  :3

...And t-shirts. Tees are good.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Netrogo

Just to put in my two cents, have you tried checking craigslist for Dmoon`s area. There`s usually a fair share of people selling off old comp junk for cheap so you could probably get a decent temp scanner for about ten or twenty bucks. Either way I don`t think any of us are worried about when you update Amber. We all know how life can reach out and bludgeon you with blunt objects just when you think everything`s good. Just enjoy your trip and time with the family type peoples.

(Note: On a study comp at the moment with retarded lock downs on it and for some reason I can`t use proper punctuation other then . anything else I use comes out funny. Question mark is this É for some dumb reason :< )
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think my opinion has been stated before. Shit happens. We'll live.

Sure, you feel bad for it, but that money was put aside for t-shirts, IMO. If you start chewing into it, you'll need to replace it somehow, or order less shirts - and if we -really- like your shirts, you're gonna need the money.

I'm happy to have a hiatus while you're on the road.

(although the suggestion from Paul about scripting and inking in advance doesn't hurt, either...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gamma

I'm with Paul and llearch.
I wouldn't mind a hiatus either. If you need it take it, due to whatever even. :mowcookie
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Damaris

(actually Damaris)
Just as a note, I know for a fact the local library doesn't have a nice computer lab with a scanner.  In fact, my lab kinda sucks. ;)

On the upside, we're kinda pleased the scanner lasted this long.  It was a crappy, cheap scanner, and it's over five years old. *shrugs*  We just don't use it that much nowadays (obviously)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

thegayhare

I've got a decent scanner I don't use

If your interested

vIDo

amber, if you ever end up in Holland with the same problem I'll be happy to help you.
as for now I would go with Paul and llearch...

just listen to this..  its great advice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnvSQuv-H4 :ipod
(me happy now.. :> L: )

rt

I think I'm saying the same thing as Paul, just draw, and if ya want give do a comic flood when you get back, or just have some pre drawn stips lying around.

Naldru

On a few occasions, I have seen Applegeeks post artwork that hasn't been inked or colored and then replace it with the colored final version later.  Just a thought for your consideration.  A digital camera would probably be good enough for the temporary version.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Netrogo

Naldru, I'm sorry but your comment just makes me picture someone sitting infront of the comp 'nic-fitting' while they wait for even the slightest update from Amber :P
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Aurawyn

I say go on Hiatus.. Its not worth it, and most of us can be understanding for a little while..

Sides you could use the time to do extra Inks and build yourself, a little buffer...

(( Not sure how web comic making works, exactly, so I'm not even sure if Having a bunch of Inks is considered a buffer or not! But when you get back it would cut down on your work for alittle while longer anyhow ))

Ps..

You could also, go to wal-mart, like Kenji said, and get a cheap scanner *Save Your receipt* Use it for the time your there, then return it.. The only thing they ask you at wal-mart when you return something is if its broken or not.. Keep the box in good condition too..  >:3 >:3 >:3 >:3

Eibborn

I'd just go on Hiatus, personally. The fans can wait!
If you don't want to do that, though, maybe the best thing to do would be to just use the time to draw up and ink the comics that you won't be able to upload, and then do extra updates when you get home. Even if you just colour one extra one for a week, you can catch up and have the same number of comics uploaded as if you had a working scanner. They'll be late, but they'll be there.
/kicks the internet over

Pagan

I say go for the guest strips/hiatus. Use the time for drawing and inking a buffer of sorts. We're hardy fans, we can withstand waiting awhile.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Naldru

Quote from: Netrogo on February 22, 2008, 10:46:00 AM
Naldru, I'm sorry but your comment just makes me picture someone sitting infront of the comp 'nic-fitting' while they wait for even the slightest update from Amber :P
I give up.  Is nic network information center or nicotine?  If it's nicotine, I don't smoke.

I think you're implying that I'm a nervous wreck waiting for an update.  If that was the case, I would simply write a program that would check the name of the image in http://www.missmab.com that comes before AS.gif and generate a message when it changes.

Why obsess over anything when the computer is much better at being obsessive than I am.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Damaris

Um, guys... you do realize that:
a) A comic takes her around 8 hours.
b) The drawing and inking usually averages about 1-2 hours.
c) Leaving 6-7 hours for the coloring- which she needs a scanner for.

sooo, lovely as the thought is, it is highly unlikely that a publishable buffer will come out of this hiatus.  I just don't want hopes getting up and people being disappointed.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Lorien

Well, I completely understand that comics may have to wait a while, and I think the other readers do too.  If want you could use this break to either take a rest or get a buffer of sketches/ inked comics.   :mowninja  (so you can be lazy later)
Or if you want you could probably find a scanner somewhere else (maybe you could do this at Kinkos or if your brother is in school one of his school scanners) scan your comic, and email it to yourself in the preffered format.
In any case sorry to hear you had more unexpected problems, and hope you don't stress too much. 

M

I'd say take a break/offer guest comics. I don't really think it's worth it to buy a new scanner for just two weeks. I'll assume a massive amount of your readers (me included) are understanding of your situation and can be patient. :3

WhiteFox

Quote from: Naldru on February 22, 2008, 10:18:26 AM
On a few occasions, I have seen Applegeeks post artwork that hasn't been inked or colored and then replace it with the colored final version later.  Just a thought for your consideration.

Actually, I was really hoping to get a chance to see what DMFA looks like before the digital work. Half cause I'm a big fan of amber, and half cause I'm trying to learn how to do the digital stuff myself.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Tapewolf

Quote from: WhiteFox on February 22, 2008, 06:24:20 PM
Actually, I was really hoping to get a chance to see what DMFA looks like before the digital work. Half cause I'm a big fan of amber, and half cause I'm trying to learn how to do the digital stuff myself.
I don't know what happens more recently, but as of the 'Recipe for Disasters' arc, the characters are sketched and inked.  Outdoor scenes and more complex interiors are also inked - most interior scenes have the backdrop entirely computer-generated.
Now with the Jyrras arc, more and more interior scenes also exist on paper.  I don't know if this is Amber's art style evolving, or simply that this arc uses more complex interiors.

As for the colouring, I have a grasp of that enough to be able to repair them and remove speech bubbles etc (or remove all Abel's spots) but I couldn't colour one in from scratch, and I can't describe or explain what I do know  :<

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E