02/15/08 [DMFA #879] - CRACK

Started by CameronCN, February 15, 2008, 01:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akisohida

Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Aleolus

Any idea what kind of taur it is?  I don't recognize either half.

rt

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 15, 2008, 05:14:30 PM
Canadian Tire is a pretty fair company and isn't really the kind to screw people over in giving them BS prices...

Yup, usually fairly fair. Not the best, not the worst.
Hopefully they gave you a KM estimate / timing for those down the road repairs, some repairs are even based on KM driven (usually the belts that are better to replace before they go snap and the car goes k-plunk, though they do have wear gagues for confirmaton) and if your lucky some of those "take the engine appart" repairs will come close together. I know I saved a load of cash replacing one such part a bit early during another repair. (Infact I think that was the timing belt)

Oooh and comic . . . yes that's what were here for  :P

I'll have to remember this trick, I'm not sure where to get chlorophorm  ;)

thegayhare

this might just be me... infact I'm pretty sure it is and it's probably a mixed result of the painkillers and residual perversion from the story I'm working on but...

Just now when I clicked to get to DMFA and I saw that two headed taur stairing at me like it had every other time all day an odd thought popped into my head...

In the grips of passion do you think both her heads react the same?  or might they have differnt, err habbits.  *chuckles and slinks off to the bad bunny place*

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 15, 2008, 08:44:17 AM
Quote from: Akisohida on February 15, 2008, 07:29:15 AM
Anyone notice that the taur is talking normally now? Maybe she can talk normally if she puts in the effort but does not bother when she is with the snake dude since they are friends?

Maybe it's just when they both talk together that they make more sense?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
I think that's it...in the first comic, it's only one head talking, and not making normal grammar. In this one, both are talking at first, and they speak just fine, but in their last sentance, it's only one head talking again, and fails the grammar again.

And on the subject of chloroform cost in Furrae, remember the sciences have been slow to advance thanks to Creatures. Chemisty, I'm guessing, isn't a very high priority.

Darkdragon

Well, at least they know what chloroform is, Chemistry can't be that unknown in Furrae. However, I agree that there isn't a large rush to develop it.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aleolus on February 15, 2008, 11:05:37 PM
Any idea what kind of taur it is?  I don't recognize either half.

I don't think you're supposed to.
*Point*
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Naldru

To Amber:  You could ask them why they feel that the timing belt needs to be changed.  That would be quite reasonable.  I would suspect that they saw something on the engine analyzer.  I wouldn't think that this is something to be done based on milage.  (Or would it be kilometerage?)

If you want to get chloroform, you could go to Thomas Scientific.  They have a wide variety of chemicals and supplies.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on February 16, 2008, 07:05:58 AM
If you want to get chloroform, you could go to Thomas Scientific.  They have a wide variety of chemicals and supplies.

Interesting link.  There are a number of people on another board trying to get decent isopropyl alcohol for cleaning tape decks, so this may come in handy - although the quantities they are supplying are a little on the large side  :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Brunhidden

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 16, 2008, 12:25:35 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 15, 2008, 08:44:17 AM
Quote from: Akisohida on February 15, 2008, 07:29:15 AM
Anyone notice that the taur is talking normally now? Maybe she can talk normally if she puts in the effort but does not bother when she is with the snake dude since they are friends?

Maybe it's just when they both talk together that they make more sense?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
I think that's it...in the first comic, it's only one head talking, and not making normal grammar. In this one, both are talking at first, and they speak just fine, but in their last sentance, it's only one head talking again, and fails the grammar again.

could it be that one has the right lobe and the other the left? thus to function as a whole individual they must cooperate. if this is the case one is artistic and the other logical, but neither can probably accomplish much without the other anyways so arguing with herself is probably both difficult and full of headache
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jack McSlay

even if high tech such as computers, cars and videogames aren't popular on furrae, I don't think chemistry is all that unadvanced. afterall, they do need to know a good deal of chemistry to make potions, right?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2008, 07:26:07 AM
Quote from: Naldru on February 16, 2008, 07:05:58 AM

Interesting link.  There are a number of people on another board trying to get decent isopropyl alcohol for cleaning tape decks, so this may come in handy - although the quantities they are supplying are a little on the large side  :3
For smaller quantities, look at your local pharmacy.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on February 16, 2008, 10:33:56 AM
Those are usually 30% water, which will rust the heads.  It has to be >90% pure, which some people were having difficulty obtaining.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Jack McSlay on February 16, 2008, 10:32:37 AM
even if high tech such as computers, cars and videogames aren't popular on furrae, I don't think chemistry is all that unadvanced. afterall, they do need to know a good deal of chemistry to make potions, right?

Not really.  Potion making is a combination of magic and alchemy, the precursor to chemistry.  The magic does most of the work, which is why you can get magical effects out of potions.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2008, 10:43:18 AM
Those are usually 30% water, which will rust the heads.  It has to be >90% pure, which some people were having difficulty obtaining.

was going to say "can't you distill it?" but then I remembered alcohols have a lower vapor point than water, so that would be more than a little counter-productive.

When I first read "isopropyl alcohol," I thought, "Oooo, alcohol burns!"  I've got an eye out for flammable liquids which can be kept in Altoid tins.  Unfortunately, the Altoid tins themselves have little hinges, which everything would leak out of normally, so I'd have to get one that's a snap-on lid, instead of a flip-open.

Yugo

The mythos can look like whatever Amber wants it to look like. In this case, cute. XD
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2008, 10:43:18 AM
The problem is that alcohols and water form azeotropic mixtures.  The alcohol makes the water more volatile, so there is a concentration where the water and alcohol have the same volatility.  I suspect that the 70% is the azeotropic concentration.  I would look in the yellow pages for chemical supply houses and possibly hobbyist centers. (Or whatever the local equivalent in Wales for the yellow pages and Thomas catalog.  Take a look at http://www.besanet.org.uk

e_voyager

and she's right about the cost being high.. that's too night for me. 38 for a single 500ml bottle?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Volfram on February 16, 2008, 10:50:18 AM
Not really.  Potion making is a combination of magic and alchemy, the precursor to chemistry.  The magic does most of the work, which is why you can get magical effects out of potions.
well that's my point really. if one can make a potion to shrink heads, what's difficult about making chloroform? While we make chloroform through chemical reactions, on furrae they could make it just as well through magical devices

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Jack McSlay on February 16, 2008, 02:02:00 PM
Quote from: Volfram on February 16, 2008, 10:50:18 AM
well that's my point really. if one can make a potion to shrink heads, what's difficult about making chloroform? While we make chloroform through chemical reactions, on furrae they could make it just as well through magical devices
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_652.php

Tezkat

Heh, it does seem like a lot of work to make something like that through magic, doesn't it? Synthesizing chloroform is a fairly simple matter of mixing bleach and acetone while trying not to poison yourself. On the other hand, sleep spells are often pretty low level, so enchanting one into potion form could actually be easier than magically transmogrifying liquids into chemical sedatives.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on February 16, 2008, 12:55:19 PM
I would look in the yellow pages for chemical supply houses and possibly hobbyist centers. (Or whatever the local equivalent in Wales for the yellow pages and Thomas catalog.
I already have a supplier - I thought your link would be handy for a couple of other people in the US who I know were having difficulty finding some  :3.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Tezkat on February 16, 2008, 02:22:49 PM
Heh, it does seem like a lot of work to make something like that through magic, doesn't it? Synthesizing chloroform is a fairly simple matter of mixing bleach and acetone while trying not to poison yourself. On the other hand, sleep spells are often pretty low level, so enchanting one into potion form could actually be easier than magically transmogrifying liquids into chemical sedatives.

that would depend, woudn't it? causing chemical reactions magically, can be easier and/or more magical-energy-effective than enchanting a potion with a low-level spell, or not.

besides, one thing videogame RPGs taught me is that sleep spells are low level, but are only effective on targets that are low-level as well

or maybe sleep potions simply smell like chloroform...

Brunhidden

Quote from: Jack McSlay on February 16, 2008, 03:41:51 PM
or maybe sleep potions simply smell like chloroform...

I would assume that a bottle of 'industrial strength sleepy time' from jycorp (produced by a huge machine which makes 50 gallons an hour) is cheaper then paying a wizard to grind up some pixie testicles and brewing it for a day and a half.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 16, 2008, 05:10:21 PM
I would assume that a bottle of 'industrial strength sleepy time' from jycorp (produced by a huge machine which makes 50 gallons an hour) is cheaper then paying a wizard to grind up some pixie testicles and brewing it for a day and a half.

Have you seen how fast those buggers breed?!  One should always spay/neuter their pixies ASAP otherwise you are gonna have a whole slew of them. :P

As for Shira, she is kind of a wacky one.  Don't get too fooled by the second head, there isn't a case of two individual personalities for her...she is more or less a single entity and views herself as one.  Her biggest problem is her kind isn't really skilled at communication the way we are. (her species tends to have more a musical language that consists of duets and harmonies)  It takes both her heads to get the string of words to come out right, however most times when she isn't bothering to make a good impression she will simply use the one head  to make basic statements.

And I swear if it wasnt for the fact I know the creator is a nice guy who I have met, I would totally want to club the kneecap of the people who created the whole "taurs=herms" misconception.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 16, 2008, 05:29:07 PM
Quote from: Brunhidden on February 16, 2008, 05:10:21 PM

Have you seen how fast those buggers breed?!  One should always spay/neuter their pixies ASAP otherwise you are gonna have a whole slew of them. :P

As for Shira, she is kind of a wacky one.  Don't get too fooled by the second head, there isn't a case of two individual personalities for her...she is more or less a single entity and views herself as one.  Her biggest problem is her kind isn't really skilled at communication the way we are. (her species tends to have more a musical language that consists of duets and harmonies)  It takes both her heads to get the string of words to come out right, however most times when she isn't bothering to make a good impression she will simply use the one head  to make basic statements.

And I swear if it wasnt for the fact I know the creator is a nice guy who I have met, I would totally want to club the kneecap of the people who created the whole "taurs=herms" misconception.

Here I was going to suggest, based on what I've observed (where only one head talks, it feels like words are being left out) that the responsibility of certain words belong to one head or the other, and when only one speaks only that head's words come out.

taurs = herms? yeah, that Chakat guy has a lot to answer for...

One of the other comics I read has both a Chakat(two, actually) and a regular taur on the cast, and the difference between the two was established pretty clearly.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Kayriel

Some people think the reverse is also true. Herms have to be Chakats. Bah.
<3 Abel

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 16, 2008, 05:29:07 PM
Quote from: Reese Tora on February 16, 2008, 05:54:08 PM
taurs = herms? yeah, that Chakat guy has a lot to answer for...

Don't Australians come up with the neatest stuff?  >:3
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Stig Hemmer

Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Kajet

Am I the only one who didn't see the club hitting dan at first?

e_voyager

no but don't worry the others won't admit what the saw either.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey