Sweeping Darkness (IC) - Open

Started by Darkmoon, February 02, 2008, 11:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

enigma looked at the construct alarmed. He and been busy checking the stairs when DFX had raised the alarm.  "effects? what effects? " he asked concerned  "what happened?" looking around but he saw no enemies or dangers " what do you sense?! what did you see?" he asked scared himself. He'd not been using magic nor looking at the source of DFX's trouble trusting the construct to handle the fore or the expedition  while he as rear guard checked constantly for attack form the rear. Like the spiders that had closed in after them attack could come form any direction in this case it had come from the for. Everything still looked clear to Enigma but the construct was bothered by something. after all if he weren't would he be asking if enigma For all enigma knew he could be seeing enemies invisible to his eyes and that was not a possibility to ignore.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

techmaster-glitch

As Enigma came up to the top of the steps, DFX realized that he didn't even see the flash. "I shall reiterate; My visual reception sense has been sabotaged. I am now perceiving all visual input as a hue of purple. I was attempting to sense and identify any magical energies beyond this access hatchway, when an anomaly consisting of a sudden discharge of arcane energy from around the crevices of this hatchway occurred. My brother seems to be unaffected by this phenomenon.
   DFX paused for a moment. "While this condition is...inconvienient, and slightly impairing, it is not debilitating or incapacitating, and I do not seem to be suffering any additional side effects."

e_voyager

enigma nodded. " oh i see. in that the the spell is probably meant as a trap to prevent you form seeing something that is coming" enigma looked around again. "If everything was purple then it was likely whatever the trap was meant to mask would be in the ultra violet spectrum. For the danger to be a shade of purple would be too much of a coincidence. " enigma looked at the arena were the trap door was not quite ready to approach it. " your brother was unaffected?" he asked both intrigued that he was spared and wanting to make sure that at least on of them could see the danger coming if he himself was struck with the strange vision upon examining the trapdoor at the constructs feet.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

techmaster-glitch

"I am not sure if the anomaly was indeed a deliberate trap or spell, but that is an interesting hypothesis. I require more data before proceeding further."
  DFX reached up to the trapdoor once more. "I will now attempt to sense magic once more to discern if the anomaly will be repeated." DFX explained, as extended his magic sense again...

e_voyager

"very well" enigma said closing one eye as he watched DFX cast his spell. invoke his magic sense. Hopefully he could counter spell any trap but he was not sure that he could. If not this would hopefully spare him the full effect of the trap. amusing that it was a trap and prove to him weather or not DFX's magic probe triggered the effect.

Azlan

Aire smiled sadly and sighed, it was sad to meet one of the lost, even more so to hear it speak and take pride in traits of its degeneration.  The dark ones had fallen far, so much that the pure light of the sun damaged their eyes and they coveted rocks and caverns.

"A mile high cavern?  We have boundless skies.  You see well in the dark, but there is a reason why elves can see perfectly in the brightest of daylight and the deepest of darkness.  It is so sad that you do not know how weak your blood has become and how far you have degenerated from greatness.  The ancient races of the surface elves are not perfect, but we are so much closer than any drow."

The faerie elf paused and gasped lightly, "I am so sorry, I did not mean to compare your base deficiencies to a first race like my own.  We come from different worlds, where I am from we were created first among sentients."
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Ghostwish

Malcurth raised his eyebrows in surprise at Aire, and shook his head. "Wow, quite tactful of you, Aire. I'd love to see you and an angel compare egos some day.. It'd be liking watching stars collide." He said, and smirked.

Darkmoon

Searching for magic proves fruitful, as there is plenty leaking out from all sides of the trapdoor. The sensation of purple light was again repeated. It was not harmful/hurtful, but it does prove to be an odd sensation, not unlike looking at the world through the bottom of a purple glass jar.

Otherwise, nothing else happens.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

techmaster-glitch

As DFX attempted to feel the magic again, the magical discharge happened again. DFX's vision was still purple. The construct turned to Tank, asking "Do you remain unaffected, brother?"
  "Yes."
  DFX then turned to Enigma. "The phenomena is indeed reproducable, indicating the source of the discharges is stable. The effect is very unusual, but it does not appear to be damaging. The source has a high probability of being safely approachable. While I am somewhat disturbed about the fact that the general magic-damping wards I placed on myself and my brother did not prevent the effects of the discharges on myself, I still believe we should be able to proceed. Do you have any input to contribute, fleshling?"

e_voyager

"greenish yellow. " said enigma looking around with only the one eye open.  then he opened his other eye and looked around. things had a chartreuse overcast but other then that he could still see. " this cant bee good but i';m seeing this in and almost chartreuse light  and i don't like it. " enigma fished out a piece of paper and wrote the ward for restore then placed it over his open eye. he wasn't sure it would work in face he was pretty sure it would fail land he had not studied the effect of a restore ward yet. it was part of his studied that began the previous night." alright  i'll follow you lead" he said wishing he had some way of knowing what was coming.

Darkmoon

Another burst creeps out from the cracks in the floor and around the door.

techmaster-glitch

DFX didn't move in the slightest, but one could tell he was almost confused. "Interesting. You experience the phenomena in a different manner...I am inclined to continue collecting data, but these wards have a limited amount of time before expiration, thus we should proceed immediatley."
  Then whatever was behind the trapdoor flashed again. DFX slowly looked up at it.
  "Now that is interesting. The phenomena was repeated without any apparent provocation. It is possible it discharges at regular intervals. Most intriguing, and under normal circumstances, it would be most prudent to continue external observation and experimentation. However, as I previously stated, we should proceed immediately."
  DFX then reached up to the trapdoor and swung it open, revealing whatever was behind it...

e_voyager

enigma catches the burst and throws his arm over his face to shield himself but it's too late. he's seen the light. blinking he rubs his eye trying not to disturb his written spell covering his one eye. DFX 28 is vocalizing and analysis but enigma is more worried about his pained eye. Eventually the brightness of the flash fades away. some what pensive he looks around to see what if anything has changed.

Darkmoon

There is a pause as the door is thrown open, and then another burst of light.

Then, from the room, a voice can be heard. "I think I heard something... is anyone there?"

techmaster-glitch

Were the constructs capable of emotionally showing surprise, they might have do so as a voice emanated from the now open trapdoor. DFX, however, was quick to respond.
   "I, the living construct designated D-F-X-twenty-eight; my brother, the living construct designated B-R-T-seventy-five with the additional designation of "Tank"; and the fleshling designated "Enigma", are currently present at this location."

Darkmoon

There is some muffled discussion: "there's someone there!... I don't know how many... No, I don't know that either! Look, if you want to run this portal, you're more than welcome..."

Towards the constructs and Enigma: "How many of you are there?"

e_voyager

enigma decided to let the construct handle this. " go on DFX " enigma said. " you're leading this expedition after all." enigma mind whirled about whom the voices could belong to. that combined with the magic burst led him to believe that they were magic users. probably captive magic used at that but that would mean that the door was some kind of one way portal. he puzzled over weather or not to mention this to DFX for a while.

techmaster-glitch

Getting Enigma's encouragement, DFX did continue. "I stated the designations of all whom are present in this location, which totals three if you are unable to perform such a basic funtion as counting. If you request it, I will reiterate our designations."   

Darkmoon

"Quickly. You have to hurry. We've managed to keep the portal open for a few days, but it's starting to collapse. If you want to get off that world, you've get to get up here now!"

e_voyager

enigma didn't fully trust this even so if it was a chance. they should consider it. " shall we alert the others?" he asked DFX "or do you suspect a trap? " he added in a whisper

techmaster-glitch

DFX did not know what the unknown voice was talking about, but he answered both Enigma's questions with, "I am unsure. We should collect more data about this unusual situation, expeditiously. Brother, please assist in elevating me to that level."
   DFX noticed that the trapdoor was too small for him and his pack to go through at once, so he removed it first, and then reached up to the trapdoor and began pulling himself up, with Tank giving a boost. In short order, DFX (still with purpled vision) was up on the level of whatever was going on. He looked around...

Darkmoon

Standing in the middle of the room was a stone column, split in the middle to form a rudimentary "O". The rest of the room was a stone circular room, approximate 12' radius, lined with dusty paintings of various landscapes. The floor was covered in a thick layer of dust, and a single skeleton lay on the floor against the "back" wall of the room. It, too, was covered in dust.

Through the column, the room looked similar, except for the fact that the room was completely devoid of dust. The paintings looked fresh. There was even a small camp setup in the room, with a fire (who's light, it will be noted, did not touch the purple glow of the room DFX was in).

Standing in view of the column was a girl, approximately 18 years of age, dressed in the garb of a ranger or hunter. She looked road-weary and a little thin. She stared curiously for a moment at DFX before greeting him.

"It's good to see other travelers. We've been trying to contact anyone we could, shifting the portal every few days if we hadn't seen anyone. You're the first travelers to find us, and none to quickly. The enemy is working against us, trying to block the magics we're pushing through the column, trying to block us from connecting with anyone else. If you want to get off that world and get over here, you have to hurry. I can already feel the portal weakening, and I don't know how much longer we can keep it open."

techmaster-glitch

DFX quickly took stock of what he could observe, noting the disparity between the room he was in and the "other" room. He replied to the person on the other side with,  "The portal, is it anchored to this column? If the magic is bound to an inanimate object, I may be able to render assistance and stabilize it."

Darkmoon

She took a moment to find the meaning of DFX's words, then replied:

"The column is what causes the magic. Each of these columns, in each of these towers will, at some point, open a portal to another tower. My companions and I theorize it's some kind of magical discharge, a release of the pent up magic the towers tap into from their surroundings. We managed to control it for a time, searching out other towers, but our enemy is now fighting out magics. I don't know that you'll be able to do any better. He's very powerful.

"From what we can tell of the worlds, you must be on one of the harsher ones. One of the adventurer's that joined up with us termed them 'outworlds'. We have seen many of the towers, like the one you are in, that appear abandoned. These all seem to exist on outworlds. As you can see, we are not on one of these planes, but on a populated, more friendly world.

"You must hurry, quickly, before the portal closes. We have but seconds."

techmaster-glitch

DFX considered what the fleshling was saying. Despite her insistance, he was already thinking of several basic operations to help with the portal, the first was simply virtue of two people stabilizing both ends should make a difference. Besides, there was no way he could leave now by himself; all his companions were back at the camp. These were the only fleshlings he ever "cared" about, besides his Forging Father, even though his brother would always come before them. Though, he didn't even know for sure if this whole thing was trustworthy, but then again, this could be their only chance off this world in the near future, and if she wasn't exaggerating (as DFX had discovered fleshlings are prone to do), there may not be enough time for eveyone else to arrive. It was a lot to make a decision on, a lot of factors to consider, and, ultimately, he had to choose between several things. DFX's magical mind processed the avaliable information, and arrived at a course of action.
  He made the decision.
  Turning for a moment, DFX actually shouted down the trapdoor, in a very rare toned voice. "Brother! Call for our companions, immediately! This is a matter of extreme urgency, make haste!"
  DFX then strode over to the portal. "I cannot leave now, and I will attempt to aid in keeping this portal open. I have extensive and intimate knowledge, experience, and insight into bound and enchanted magic. My ability to influnce this situation is not to be underestimated." DFX didn't know whether or not he'd be able to make enough of a difference to keep it open long enough for everyone else to get here, but he was going to try. This kind of thing was what he was made for. He had to be able to do something. Placing one hand on his chest, he dispelled the antimagic ward he had around himself.
  He reached out and placed his hands on both sides of the "O" in the collumn. He began feeling the magic with his own, trying to puzzle out its workings. "Analyzing magic structure...attempting to synchronize with arcane stream..."

When Tank heard his brother's voice, he knew something wasn't right. DFX never had a toned voice like that. This was important.
  Tank went over to the side of the tower in the direction of the camp, and "bellowed" in the loudest voice he could put out.
  "FLESHLINGS! GET OVER HERE NOW!"

Ghostwish

Malcurth nearly jumped clear out of his fur at Tank's sudden bellow. He had been enjoying a quiet nap, but now looked like a rather frazzled snowball of fur. "What the.. who what.. huh!?" He managed to stammer as he struggled to his feat, and then took off running towards Tank as he tried to clear the fog from his mind..

Lushin

Tarson didn't even look at the others as he started sprinting towards the tower.
"Time to move"
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Azlan

Aire drew her shield and faced it towards Cloudchaser, with a bright flash of light, the unicorn stood no longer upon the earth.  As she turned to follow the others, her shield now displayed a statant unicorn.

The faerie elf was rather quick for a lady in plate armor, but it was quite special armor and she was an equally special elf.

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Darkmoon

"How far off are your companions...? This isn't going to stay open much longer..."

e_voyager

Enigma  looked into the distance they were coming quickly but time was short and he had no distance spell that could help them. he walked in the room his ears still rigging from tanks shout. Perhaps he could lend his magic keeping the portal open. summoning his magic light magic in one hand and dark in the other he approached the portal. "lets see if we can wedge it open a little longer" he said