*poof* where did he go?

Started by everance, January 13, 2008, 02:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

everance

what are your thoughts on magic?  i know it's supposedly illusion and timing, but sometimes i wonder.
who is your favorite magician and what is your favorite trick?  any thoughts or theories on how it might work?
i want to know the secret!

Reese Tora

I believe that all magic is cunningly crafted illusions, slight of hand, and distraction.
It's much more amazing for a person to be able to pull off a trick like that before multiple people consistently than if there's some mystical mumbo-jumbo going on.

My favorite magician is James Randi (maybe better known as the Amazing Randi), but my favorite trick of his isn't magical, it's to make the people who claim real psychic and paranormal abilities look like fools.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

rabid_fox

This is a true story.

I knew a fellow who was an exceptionally talented magician and he'd invent his own tricks that were absolutely mind-bogglingly clever - he loved using really simple things like paperclips and pieces of string to create twisted illusions that he performed with an outstanding grace.

Anyway, word got around at University about him and people hassled him endlessly about putting on shows. One night, he'd have a few drinks and someone was giving him stacks of, "Do a trick. Do a trick. Do a trick. Do a trick" and he got annoyed.

So he lifted one hand and, holding his forearm vertically, he bent his wrist so that his hand was horizontal and started waggling his fingers and, when the guy was completely focused on that hand, punched him right in the face with his other hand.

I nearly died laughing.

I love magic.

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 13, 2008, 04:23:17 PM
I nearly died laughing.

Bwahahahahahahahaha! Oh, that's lovely. Schadenfraude to the hilt!

I'd have applauded, and bought him a drink.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Zedd

Thanks Rancid..It works well you got a perfect story

Brunhidden

One time, a few years ago, the local area was in a serious drought. no moisture for two months, and the crops were dying and cows were withering and people were getting heatstroke.

then my wife, for shits and giggles, wrote 'wash me' in norse runes on a car windshield.

keep in mind, my wife actually worships thor, and KNEW THE CORRECT WAY TO DO THIS!

it rained for two weeks solid, she never tried to do runes again.... except for fortune telling yes/no questions, she always gets those right.

QuoteYou cannot commit sepuku with a pretzel stick
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Alondro

Quote from: Brunhidden on January 14, 2008, 08:18:15 AM
One time, a few years ago, the local area was in a serious drought. no moisture for two months, and the crops were dying and cows were withering and people were getting heatstroke.

then my wife, for shits and giggles, wrote 'wash me' in norse runes on a car windshield.

keep in mind, my wife actually worships thor, and KNEW THE CORRECT WAY TO DO THIS!

it rained for two weeks solid, she never tried to do runes again.... except for fortune telling yes/no questions, she always gets those right.

Really... uhm... will I ever have a lion of my very own to hug and squeeze to itty bitty pieces?

*Yes, and it will eat you alive, because it will end up being Charline*

Oh noes.  :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Brunhidden on January 14, 2008, 08:18:15 AM

Can you teach me that?

Don

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 13, 2008, 04:23:17 PM

This is a true story.

I knew a fellow who was an exceptionally talented magician and he'd invent his own tricks that were absolutely mind-bogglingly clever - he loved using really simple things like paperclips and pieces of string to create twisted illusions that he performed with an outstanding grace.

Anyway, word got around at University about him and people hassled him endlessly about putting on shows. One night, he'd have a few drinks and someone was giving him stacks of, "Do a trick. Do a trick. Do a trick. Do a trick" and he got annoyed.

So he lifted one hand and, holding his forearm vertically, he bent his wrist so that his hand was horizontal and started waggling his fingers and, when the guy was completely focused on that hand, punched him right in the face with his other hand.

I nearly died laughing.

I love magic.

That is awsome, you should tell stories more often.

rabid_fox

I have so many wonderful tales. Gather round the fire children, Papa Fox has his storytelling hat on.

Oh dear.

Ryudo Lee

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

* llearch n'n'daCorna sets fire to Bill, then gathers around the fire *
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 18, 2008, 11:51:07 AM
* llearch n'n'daCorna sets fire to Bill, then gathers around the fire *

Oh oh oh, it's magic!  You know-o-o!   :3

Does anyone ever think how much energy would be required for even simple tricks like making coins vanish?  Anyone using magic like that would have a mastery of matter-energy manipulation on a level beyond all physical laws. 

Meaning, David Blain is all-powerful!   :U  We need the Super Best Friends to stop his maniacal reign of terror!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Valynth

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 13, 2008, 04:07:28 PM
I believe that all magic is cunningly crafted illusions, slight of hand, and distraction.
It's much more amazing for a person to be able to pull off a trick like that before multiple people consistently than if there's some mystical mumbo-jumbo going on.

My favorite magician is James Randi (maybe better known as the Amazing Randi), but my favorite trick of his isn't magical, it's to make the people who claim real psychic and paranormal abilities look like fools.

Houdini's legacy lives on.

For those of you who don't get this, Houdini led the crusade against psychics and those who claimed to have paranormal abilities by disproving and/or exposing the scams.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)