old rants

Started by zopey, December 16, 2007, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopey

hey i was wondering everyday amber updates she puts a new rant. so where are the old ones. are thet dealeated. coz i wood like too see them

llearch n'n'daCorna

They're deleted.

There are some people who keep a personal copy of them, one of whom may respond to the request. However, Amber herself has stated that if she meant them to be kept long-term, she'd have done something more permanent with them.

I'm of two minds about this myself - some of the stuff she puts in there, links to other websites etc, could do with archiving. For the most part, however, while they are "The Holy Words Of The Great Amber", they're not really -that- important...

However, despite that, it's Amber's words, and her site, so she gets to decide if they're publicly archived. And so they're not.

Nuff said.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sofox

I like them. Sometimes they're about stuff she's doing right now or withing the week so they don't need archiving for anything more then looking back and going "aw, so that's what was happening back then". But other times, she says stuff worth remembering and/or thinking about and in that case it's irritating to feel that by the next update they're gone for ever. I had to save that "start your dream" page saved twice, because Amber's rant worked with the comic so well and I couldn't stand to have the latter one removed from the former one.
Another one was when she mentioned her internal fight over whether to follow her instinct and put up that pivotal Able's Story strip (the one where Abel's father is revealed to be... yeah, you know). I think that there was some good stuff there and more people would benefit from reading them.

Naldru

As was mentioned above, Amber doesn't see the need to preserve her rants for posterity.  I can see her point, since knowing that your words will be preserved for eternity can be inhibiting.  (Of course, nothing on the internet can ever be assumed to be lost, something many politicians and users of social networking sites have discovered to their horror.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

RobbieThe1st

I personally keep a copy of -every- rant I can, simply because I like my copies of whatever it is complete. This is why I have a complete downloaded copy of every single webcomic I read, as well as a large collection of other stuff by my favorite artists - all in my local backup(Well, another reason is that web stuff in general is ephemeral, and I never like finding out that something I have been reading/watching/whatever has just disappeared off the face of the internet).

Rants I have: #604, Holiday '06, #779-#805, #811, #822-current.
(#604 & Holiday '06 thanks to Tapewolf. Thanks!)
If anyone has a copy of the ones I am missing, please PM me.

If anyone wants a copy of the ones I have, PM me and I will link you.
I would directly link a copy, but Amber specifically requests that no one does this.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Darkmoon

As per Amber's request, no direct linking.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...