10/17/07 [DMFA #833] - Regrets

Started by AndersW, October 16, 2007, 11:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Quote from: DarkAudit on October 16, 2007, 11:46:30 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on October 16, 2007, 11:38:58 PM
Rose is another character that can't be simply bumped off now that she has a name.

How many redshirts got bumped off? They weren't credited as just "Ensign". They were always "Ensign Whatshisname". A name is not a safety net.

*Charles analyzes*  Rose is a Fae, and unless Amber has something cleverly drastic in her devious little mind, Rose can't simply be 'bumped off'.   Being a Fae is the ultimate safety net in Furrae.   :P

*Charline adds, in response to the evil Ink*  Oh I don't know.  I have regrets.  I sometimes regret that I eat Beings too quickly and don't take enough time to enjoy their sufferings.   >:3

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Schol-R-LEA

Quote from: Psaakyrn on October 17, 2007, 06:30:04 AM
Which is why forgetfulness is benificial to one who is immortal: hard to be bored when almost everything is new.

IIRC, the forgetfulness thing was part of the reason why brain-taping couldn't be used to gain a pseudo-immortality in Justin Lieber's Beyond novels: eventually, the structure of the person's mind simply collapses due to the sheer amount of memories, both those remembered and those forgotten. There would be too many partly remembered things, with large parts missing, to keep making sense of past experiences, especially if they spanned more than one body lifetime.

A recent story in Schlock Mercenary explains that the Bradicor had similar problems when they developed what was supposed to be a working form of immortality: their bodies would renew themselves, but their brains were unable to adapt, and as time passed, they became less able to hold onto new memories, leading eventually to insanity. Some of the survivors replaced their organic brains with carbo-silicate (the same sort of 'memory device' which eventually evolved into the Amorphs), becoming the ageless, if permanently senile, Bradicor of the present.

In a slightly different vein, Pterry had that as a minor theme in Strata, where part of the price of immortality was having many of your memories removed to prevent insanity. I think it comes up in some of the Discworld books as well IRT vampires, whose elaborate schemes were about avoiding boredom as much as anything else, but also because it kept them from falling into the trap of trying to remember all the details of hundreds or thousands of years of unlife (or perhaps I'm thinking of a different series?).

And  then there's Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged, of course...

DarkAudit

Quote from: Alondro on October 17, 2007, 12:31:10 PM

*Charles analyzes*  Rose is a Fae, and unless Amber has something cleverly drastic in her devious little mind, Rose can't simply be 'bumped off'.   Being a Fae is the ultimate safety net in Furrae.   :P

Bumped off, maybe not. Put On a Bus, maybe so.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Kamunt

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: DarkAudit on October 17, 2007, 07:40:43 PM
Quote from: Alondro on October 17, 2007, 12:31:10 PM

Bumped off, maybe not. Put On a Bus, maybe so.

That reminds me, was it there before someone linked this forum to TV Tropes, or did someone here add Abel's name to the section on Full Name Ultimatums?
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

ShiningShadow

Are we seeing Mabs as a unfeeling Fae. That's what I see right now and i could understand her regrets toward her linear friends in the past. In this case i see linear and I think of Calc, and Trig my favorite math courses anywho I think the whole world of Fae is runned by this whimiscal happiness with advance mathamatics that will blow Stephen Hawking off his wheelchair that's what i think at this point right now.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 18, 2007, 06:54:08 AM
That reminds me, was it there before someone linked this forum to TV Tropes, or did someone here add Abel's name to the section on Full Name Ultimatums?

It's wrong, though. Abel Dimitri Rewanz is referenced in Abel's Story, not DMFA. No?
(Sure, he's there in DMFA, but he's not given a FNU there.)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Netrogo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 18, 2007, 09:59:52 AM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 18, 2007, 06:54:08 AM

It's wrong, though. Abel Dimitri Rewanz is referenced in Abel's Story, not DMFA. No?
(Sure, he's there in DMFA, but he's not given a FNU there.)

Abel's Story is a spin-off origin tale used to give the character's origin in canon to the main story, without taking up time in the main story. Another example of this would be the mini series Origins that revealed Wolverine's official origin. In that case they'd most likely refer to it as 'In Marvel Comics' refering to DMFA is probably the same thing since it's the main stream.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

CameronCN

Wait. Abel's middle name is Dimitri? :erk

There are no words to explain my reaction right now. :eager

Naldru

Quote from: CameronCN on October 18, 2007, 02:08:25 PM

Here is the reference
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

CameronCN

Quote from: Naldru on October 18, 2007, 06:13:06 PM

Here is the reference
It's on the very first page too. I'm surprised I missed it before.

The reason for my reaction is that's the name I use for everything. I've lost count of the number of characters I've named Dmitri. (Or the diminutive pet version, Mitya.)

Dmitri is to Cam
what
Mab is to Amber

In my mind, I'm going to name my firstborn son Dmitri. Then, I was thinking the second would be...Abel. So imagine my surprise. :erk
Actually, I suggested it as a name for my little brother, but my parents weren't too fond of the idea...

Zedd

Quote from: CameronCN on October 18, 2007, 06:53:09 PM

Here is the reference

The reason for my reaction is that's the name I use for everything. I've lost count of the number of characters I've named Dmitri. (Or the diminutive pet version, Mitya.)

Dmitri is to Cam
what
Mab is to Amber

In my mind, I'm going to name my firstborn son Dmitri. Then, I was thinking the second would be...Abel. So imagine my surprise. :erk
Actually, I suggested it as a name for my little brother, but my parents weren't too fond of the idea...
So dont fret...One my friends was going to be named Merlin once...But his dad said no cause his dad is Jehova Witness

Netrogo

Quote from: Zedd on October 18, 2007, 07:01:10 PM
Quote from: CameronCN on October 18, 2007, 06:53:09 PM

Here is the reference

Dmitri is to Cam
what
Mab is to Amber

So dont fret...One my friends was going to be named Merlin once...But his dad said no cause his dad is Jehova Witness

What does that have to do with being a jehova? I mean it's not like Merlin is a religious figure or anything.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Naldru

Quote from: Netrogo on October 18, 2007, 08:00:26 PM
Quote from: Zedd on October 18, 2007, 07:01:10 PM
What does that have to do with being a jehova? I mean it's not like Merlin is a religious figure or anything.
It may have something to do with the fact that the legends indicate that Merlin's father was a demon.  Since the Wikipedia article stated that his father was an incubus, it seems appropriate for DMFA.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.