Hahwru of the Were Race... oh dear god... AMAZONS!!!

Started by Kuari, October 03, 2007, 05:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuari

Anyone look closely at the Were race page?  Geez...  I wonder who's going to eventually meet up with them and make a fool of himself...  lol.  I'm thinking Merlitz will run into one while they are in human form and cause a bit of trouble too.

Also, is it me or does she have one boob?  Amber must have really done her research on that one if I'm not seeing things.

Goatmon

Yeah, the amazon has one boob.  There was some research done there;  I don't what show it was, but I remember seeing some program or something on the history channel that explained that the amazons (or at least one tribe of them) would cut off their right breast so that they could use a bow and arrow more proficiently. 

Side note: This thread probably won't go over terribly well.

Kuari

*shrugs* why, people not like speculation threads?  Besides, I searched to make sure there wasn't anything on the Weres.  Didn't have any luck.  Sooo...  yeah...  having trouble seeing what's wrong with it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kuari on October 03, 2007, 06:20:48 AM
*shrugs* why, people not like speculation threads?
I think he meant that a thread about boobs might not go over well.

Anyway, according to Amber, Hahwru's condition is a medical one rather than voluntary.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kuari

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2007, 06:29:06 AM

Anyway, according to Amber, Hahwru's condition is a medical one rather than voluntary.

Ahh...  that could make sense...  oh, and on the boob thing, sorry but boobs, breasts, whatever, the thread isn't about that so much as I was wondering what was up with that.  The top portion is the more interesting curiousity..

And seriously, if saying the word boob offends someone, they really need to tone things down a bit.  I mean, sure, if I was being sexual, fine, I can see why.  Otherwise they are just...

*yellow little birdy comes out of his mouth* COO COO

Tapewolf

Zina

Quote from: Kuari on October 03, 2007, 06:32:26 AM

Ahh...  that could make sense...  oh, and on the boob thing, sorry but boobs, breasts, whatever, the thread isn't about that so much as I was wondering what was up with that.  The top portion is the more interesting curiousity..

And seriously, if saying the word boob offends someone, they really need to tone things down a bit.  I mean, sure, if I was being sexual, fine, I can see why.  Otherwise they are just...

*yellow little birdy comes out of his mouth* COO COO

Say "boob" one more time.

Kuari

Quote from: Zina on October 03, 2007, 06:38:22 AM
Say "boob" one more time.

Nah, you just did for us :p

Anyways... 

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2007, 06:36:21 AM
Ah, here we are:

http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum2517.htm#ref5

Ahh...  so combination research and another reason.

In any case, anyone have any comments on the OTHER portion of the topic since that's all sorted out? lol

Fuyudenki

Ah.  I was wondering about the apparent inconsistancy, but figured it would be explained all in good time.

Also, you people were seriously weird.

Personally, I think the lopsidedness works to Hahwru's aesthetic advantage.  Not that a fictional character cares about my opinion, nor that Amber particularly cares about my opinion, but I think she looks better for it.

great, now I'm seriously weird.

Anyway, I doubt your average Were spends a whole lot of time in human form.  Concealment is the name of the game, as the demonology entry explains, and it's hard to be low-key in a furry world when you look like a hairless monkey.  I suspect it's more a reaction to having a spell flung your way: go Null, then switch back and respond in kind.

Somewhat like Cubi with their wings, I think a Were would either be really stupid or really powerful, and with a massive ego, to walk around in human form.

Kuari

True, but if Merlitz happened to run into a Were while they were fighting a magic user...  or if he himself ticked one off and saw the human form...

Naldru

I don't know if you know the old saying: when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.

To me, it seems perfectly reasonable for a person who has lost a breast to be portrayed as an Amazon.  I would also find it reasonable to base Glory on a blind person.  The only person that I would worry about offending would be the one the character is based on, and those people are often more willing to make fun of their problems than you would think.  (Especially when the alternative can lead to deep depression and a real downer of an outlook on life.)  Like Devin, the last thing they want is pity or to be viewed as damaged goods.

A few years ago, there was a show on American television entitled Birds of Prey.  (It was based on the characters in a comic book by DC/Warner Brothers.)  What I found highly offensive was that one of the characters, a paraplegic, went around in a motorized wheelchair.  I felt that a real paraplegic with an athletic background would find the idea that she needed a motorized wheelchair insulting.  (Besides, moving the wheelchair yourself is good exercise.)

Life hands out a lot of lemons.  You either live with it, or you don't live.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on October 03, 2007, 09:23:02 PMWhat I found highly offensive was that one of the characters, a paraplegic, went around in a motorized wheelchair.  I felt that a real paraplegic with an athletic background would find the idea that she needed a motorized wheelchair insulting.  (Besides, moving the wheelchair yourself is good exercise.)

Depends how much control she has left in her arms.

Also, different people react to acquired disabilities differently.  A lot of it depends on when it happened, as well.  If it happens late in life, you may not be able to adjust, but most PWDs whom I know (pretty much all congenital or pre-pubescent acquired) are pretty comfortable with their disabilities.  It's a part of them, but not really them, and see it as something that happened a long time ago, and embrace adaptive technology as something that's now part of their daily routine.  No more insulting than taking out the trash every week.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

King Of Hearts

Babs had good control over her arms, she only got paralyzed from the waist down.

While its more in the comic book, the motorized wheelchair is more of a theme with her being the Oracle and her mastery of tech and information. That and I think Babs once ran over [or tred to, i dont quite remember] Joker with the wheelchair.

Naldru

The only time I saw able-bodied paraplegics go around in motorized wheelchairs was at a physical therapy center where some of the paraplegics borrowed some of the quadiplegic's wheelchairs to do drag-racing in the hallways.  (They were teen-agers, in case you were wondering.)  I'm not objecting to the motorized wheelchair because it was adaptive technology, but because it was inappropriate in her situation.  A standing wheelchair ( a wheelchair with extra braces and mechanisms to allow the paraplegic to work from a standing position) or a stair-climbing wheelchair would have been appropriate.  Building a flame-thrower into the chair in case she met the Joker would have been appropriate.  (The Joker was the one who shot her, causing her to become a paraplegic.)

I can see the motorized wheelchair working better in a comic book than in a live-action show because things are presented differently.  I guess it was also the way she acted in combination with the wheelchair.  My feeling at the time was that they should have sat her down with several episodes of Ironside to see how Raymond Burr handled the situation.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Naldru on October 04, 2007, 06:50:48 PM
The only time I saw able-bodied paraplegics go around in motorized wheelchairs was at a physical therapy center where some of the paraplegics borrowed some of the quadiplegic's wheelchairs to do drag-racing in the hallways.  (They were teen-agers, in case you were wondering.)

Bwahahahaha!

Ok, -that- is appropriate use of resources. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 04, 2007, 08:43:49 PM
The only time I saw able-bodied paraplegics go around in motorized wheelchairs was at a physical therapy center where some of the paraplegics borrowed some of the quadiplegic's wheelchairs to do drag-racing in the hallways.  (They were teen-agers, in case you were wondering.)

Bwahahahaha!

Of course, the nurse in charge of the floor had a different opinion.

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on October 04, 2007, 06:50:48 PMThe only time I saw able-bodied paraplegics go around in motorized wheelchairs

Yeah, you're done convincing me.  If she had good control over her arms, then she'd want a manual wheelchair.  I could list a bunch of reasons for that, but there's really no point.  She'd want a manual wheelchair.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kamunt

Bwahahahaha!

...llearch, when did your avatar start changing colors? :aack

techmaster-glitch

Look at llearch's avatar and sig, and refresh your browser several times in a row, slowly.

Naldru

Quote from: Kamunt on October 14, 2007, 09:04:30 PM

Bwahahahaha!

I just took a look and he was using an interesting technique.  He's actually put a cgi script in the profile that rotates between a number of images.

http://llearch.net/me/yapboxv.gif changes color quickly
http://llearch.net/me/yapboxw.gif changes color slowly
http://llearch.net/me/yapboxt.gif  doen't seem to change color at all
http://llearch.net/me/yapbox4.gif has a different image

Very nice effect and completely compliant with specs

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah... *looks*

Sometime around or before December 31, 2006.

Why?

(oh, and Naldru? You missed two ;-] )

Psaakyrn

Talking about the Oracle, it's likely the wheelchair was constructed by her and tailor-fit for her usage to begin with. And not having to use her hands to move the wheelchair leaves her arms to do other things.

(not to mention that even if the Oracle's physically fit, they're playing more into her intellectual side than her physical side. It could also be a psychological lure for villains, who may underestimate her fitness.)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2007, 06:25:27 AM

Ah... *looks*

Sometime around or before December 31, 2006.

Why?

(oh, and Naldru? You missed two ;-] )

I wasn't trying for completeness.  I was just amazed that you had put so much work into them and it provided such a nice effect.  A dramatic effect with just enough subtlety that people will think that they are going crazy.  Sneaky and logical at the same time.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Naldru on October 15, 2007, 06:47:42 PM
I wasn't trying for completeness.  I was just amazed that you had put so much work into them and it provided such a nice effect.  A dramatic effect with just enough subtlety that people will think that they are going crazy.  Sneaky and logical at the same time.

Wasn't me that drew them, I'm sad to say. Silverfox did the base avatars, I think Bill did yapboxt.gif. I'm not sure what Tapewolf did, but I could go have a look - I think there's a thread somewhere either on here or on the old archives.

I -did- set up the script, but that was fairly simple, really.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2007, 03:14:40 AM
Wasn't me that drew them, I'm sad to say. Silverfox did the base avatars, I think Bill did yapboxt.gif. I'm not sure what Tapewolf did, but I could go have a look - I think there's a thread somewhere either on here or on the old archives.

That would be the box with the Cyra clan heads coming out of it.  It is or was on the rotating sig.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah, yes. I should have guessed. ;-]

... which leaves merely figuring out what Tiger_T did. I think that was the virus ones. I should probably have an image listing who did what, and leave that in the cycle somewhere. ;-]

Suwako

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2007, 08:17:40 AM
Ah, yes. I should have guessed. ;-]

... which leaves merely figuring out what Tiger_T did. I think that was the virus ones. I should probably have an image listing who did what, and leave that in the cycle somewhere. ;-]

I feel unmentioned :(
course I hardly did anything beside.. throwing animation shops own effects on some of them..  :<

</Totally unnecessary reply>

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, dear. I forgot to add Aiyno to my list in my .sig. :-/

I'm so sorry, Aiyno. I'll fix that now - and work on an image commemorating the work put in by the various folk RSN.

Please forgive my forgetfulness.

Suwako

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2007, 09:44:45 AM
Oh, dear. I forgot to add Aiyno to my list in my .sig. :-/

I'm so sorry, Aiyno. I'll fix that now - and work on an image commemorating the work put in by the various folk RSN.

Please forget my forgetfulness.

I'll forgive you as soon as I remember what to forgive.. again   :U wait, forgetting works better, I'll do that it's easier  :)