Spices... of DEATH!!

Started by Alondro, September 26, 2007, 04:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Well, this is certainly interesting.

I was looking up some relatives of magnolias and discovered nutmeg was one of them.  And upon reading up about nutmeg, which I'd always assumed to be a harmless spice, I discovered that if you were to ingest about 6 teaspoons of it at once, you have seizures and DIE!!!

About half that dose triggers hallucinations, vomiting, and a whole host of other unpleasantries.  Even a dose as low as 1 teaspoon can trigger long-lasting hallucinations and other psychotropic symptoms which can last for 3 days!  Chemically, it is metabolized in the body into a compound similar to ecstacy!

It's only truly safe to use in the teeny amounts you get in cookies, pumpkin pie, and mulled cider.

I wonder what other spices have deadly secrets!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Fuyudenki

first thought:  "Oh cool, I should go home and try that!"

Tapewolf

I knew it could freak you out, but I didn't know it could kill you.  Indeed, I wonder why the jar I have isn't marked with a warning "Consuming the entire jar may prove fatal" etc.
And that it has any chemical similarity to E is quite funky.

Good job I only used 1/4 teaspoon in my latest pies.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ryudo Lee

Where did you read that Alondro?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on September 26, 2007, 04:44:49 PM
Where did you read that Alondro?
There is a reference to nutmeg poisoning in the 1966 film The Wrong Box, which prompted my father to look into it a few years back.  I don't know where he got his info from.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

I learned that little secret from watching X...Not the anime..But the movie about the famous black dude I met in a vison once!

Alondro

Quote from: Zedd on September 26, 2007, 05:53:43 PM
I learned that little secret from watching X...Not the anime..But the movie about the famous black dude I met in a vison once!

That vision wouldn't perchance have been induced by nutmeg, which you tried out after having watched said movie?   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on September 26, 2007, 06:31:24 PM
Quote from: Zedd on September 26, 2007, 05:53:43 PM
That vision wouldn't perchance have been induced by nutmeg, which you tried out after having watched said movie?   ;)
Umm..No...Pixisticks

xHaZxMaTx

Spices of death, eh?  Capsaicin has a Scoville rating of ~15,000,000-16,000,000 while Tabasco sauce has a rating of only ~2,500-5,000.  >:3

gh0st

thats sorta like this one site where if you put in your weight it will tell you how much of a beverage you need to drink in order to keel over

edit: apparently i would have to drink 64 cans of monster in order to end it all and 250 cans of dr. pepper until i croak.

xHaZxMaTx

I don't see how that is anything like this. :/

lucas marcone

Quote from: gh0st on October 02, 2007, 04:12:05 PM
thats sorta like this one site where if you put in your weight it will tell you how much of a beverage you need to drink in order to keel over

edit: apparently i would have to drink 64 cans of monster in order to end it all and 250 cans of dr. pepper until i croak.

link?

bill

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on September 26, 2007, 09:28:51 PM
Spices of death, eh?  Capsaicin has a Scoville rating of ~15,000,000-16,000,000 while Tabasco sauce has a rating of only ~2,500-5,000.  >:3
Capsaicin isn't a spice. It's what makes spices spicy. You lose a Billy Point.

xHaZxMaTx

I never said it was a spice. :/

bill

xHaZxMaTx

Well if I did it was unintentional. :<  Can I have my Billy point back?

Amber Williams

bill

Current Billy Point Standings:

Bill: 100000 (I get 5 extra points for being BILL)
Bob Barker: 426
Red Sox Pitcher Josh Beckett: 214
President George W. Bush: 1
Haz: 0

llearch n'n'daCorna

... where am I on that scale? Just out of interest...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

xHaZxMaTx

Alondro

*feeds Haz some tumeric!*  Bwah ha ha ha!   :mwaha

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on October 02, 2007, 10:05:22 PM
You know..I dont know whos the eviler one..You or Charline

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Alondro on October 02, 2007, 10:05:22 PM

Oh noez, now I am yellow and protected from the sun! :dface

lucas marcone

*gives Haz one of his Billy points*

Damaris

The number of spices that cause contractions and miscarriages are absolutely unfathomable.

No.  I am not announcing anything.

Both those statements can be explained by working for a library.  The other women who work there are BABYMAD I tell you!

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Damaris on October 03, 2007, 12:21:59 AM
The other women who work there are BABYMAD I tell you!

That describes some 90% of the women I've met.

The other 10% are babyphobic.  Much like myself.

superluser

Quote from: Damaris on October 03, 2007, 12:21:59 AMThe other women who work there are BABYMAD I tell you!

I need to work at a library, then.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Damaris

Well, they're also post-menopausal, so they spend a lot of time anticipating other people's bundles of joy.  Seriously- they're worse then my mother on the baby front.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Alondro

*laces Damaris' food with copious amounts of sage!*  I'm not sure what that'll do, but we'll soon find out!   :mwaha

Fuyudenki

Probably make her extremely wise, allowing her to get a job where she isn't surrounded by post-menopausal baby fanatics.

Damaris now loves this idea

Alondro now hates it.