Beings don't just get the short end of the stick, they seem to get no stick.

Started by Gildedtongue, September 21, 2007, 02:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 22, 2007, 05:01:14 AM
Quote from: AndersW on September 21, 2007, 09:51:18 PM
Tapewolf, where would I find this fic of yours.  And do you have any others?

There are two.  Both can be found in the Tower of Art.  The one I'm quoting here is 'Future History', which is here:  http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=2274.0
I've often thought it would work well as a webcomic.

It is actually the sequel to my earlier work, the corrected version of which is here:  http://tapewolf.deviantart.com/gallery/
...FH will make more sense if you read that first, although it should also work standalone.  The original series is now the length of a small novel, though it is divided into sensibly-sized  chapters.

There's another copy that, In My Humble Opinion, loads a bit faster than the DA version, over on http://llearch.net/story/ - but then, I -would- think it loads faster, because I'm probably a touch closer to that server than to the DA ones... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Caswin

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 22, 2007, 12:04:04 PMhttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/council_horse.jpg
"TAKE THAT!"

(Unnecessary Phoenix Wright quote supplied by your friendly neighborhood hasn't-even-beaten-the-first-game user.)

Well.  Um.

...I think something's weird with that other computer I was using...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Amber Williams

I'll let it be known that the shadowy figure on the council was supposed to be Albanion.  It's just that by the time I got to drawing him for real real (and not for play play), my style for him shifted so it was too difficult to keep him fully on model to the original outline.

As for the rest, I'd muchly appreciate it if Tapewolf didn't scan and reveal those parts.  *knew she should have sharpied those outlines.* :U

Fresnor

Hmm, thinking about it...  Jyrras DOES have a secret weapon to use against the fae if needed.  Someone that even Kria is hesitant to cross.  :p

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 23, 2007, 12:03:19 AM
As for the rest, I'd muchly appreciate it if Tapewolf didn't scan and reveal those parts.  *knew she should have sharpied those outlines.* :U
Hell, no.  Not until they're revealed in-strip, anyway.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 23, 2007, 07:44:19 AM
Hell, no.  Not until they're revealed in-strip, anyway.

That'd spoil the notion i have in my mind anywho.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Gildedtongue

I'll let it be known that the shadowy figure on the council was supposed to be Albanion.  It's just that by the time I got to drawing him for real real (and not for play play), my style for him shifted so it was too difficult to keep him fully on model to the original outline.

It was also kinda apparent that it was Albanion when he knew about Jyrras' lab.

Naldru

If Albanion is the fae in the council meeting, it would explain his knowing about the technology. but not necessarily about the lab.  However, there is an alternative source of information.  Of course, Lorenda could be a source of information, but she seems like the straightforward type who would rather eat you than lie to you.

It should also be mentioned that Albanion was the one who wanted to leave Jyrras alone during the discussion in the council meeting.

By the way could the character with the claws at the council meeting be the unseen character who led the raid in Abel's story.  In both scenes, the character is one whom Kria is subordinate to, and I can't see her being subordinate to very many people.

The three characters from the left in this scene would then be the representatives of the insectis, undead (Rachel-Rebecca the Third?), and cubi (Fa'lina?) races. 

And has anyone noticed a slight resemblance between Jyrras and Akaen of the Angel race, especially around the ears.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Naldru on September 23, 2007, 05:22:15 PMAnd has anyone noticed a slight resemblance between Jyrras and Akaen of the Angel race, especially around the ears.

Dunno about facial resemblance. Maybe a tad, maybe not, but you seem to have stumbled onto a link: Note the bottom of the page, where it discusses Akaen: "It is also known he is one of the largest investors in many of the technologies beings have been making. One could almost say a good deal of the industrial age in Furrae was thanks to Akaen's support."

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on September 23, 2007, 05:22:15 PM
The three characters from the left in this scene would then be the representatives of the insectis, undead[/url] (Rachel-Rebecca the Third?), and cubi (Fa'lina?) races.

I don't know who the succubus is, but she isn't Fa'Lina.

Fuyudenki

That drawing doesn't really reveal anything I didn't already know from adjusting the contrast of the final comics.  I'm fairly sure the panel right of Albanion was a human, which would seem to indicate he's a Were of some sort.

I'm gonna check again.

[edit] Frames i order for 366-367, it looks like...

Mer(it's got a head fin.), Fae(Albanion), Were(human male), Phoenix(but we all knew that)

Insectis(clearly ChkChkTia), Undead(hole in the arm.  I'm going to agree it's probably RR3), and Succubus(kitty.  Long, full hair, feathered wings...  looks like a younger succubus.), and, of course, Jy and Lorenda looking at Jy's gatling gun.

If anyone really wants, I can post images of the HSCB-adjusted comics, but you can do it yourself with any decent graphics program.  Turn brightness, contrast, and gamma way up.  Contrast shouldn't be more than about 80% max.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on September 23, 2007, 06:09:36 PM
I'm going to agree it's probably RR3), and Succubus(kitty.  Long, full hair, feathered wings...  looks like a younger succubus.)

Yes, the succubus is a feline.  I'd stake a guess it might be Cyra, but as I say, that's a shot in the dark as I have no idea who it is and AFAIK we've not seen Cyra (in fact we don't even know if Cyra a he or a she).  In any case, remember that our council 'Cubi is a shapeshifter and if she's influential enough to be on the council, she's probably several millennia old, whatever she may look like.

Naldru

Quote from: Raist on September 23, 2007, 06:09:36 PM
That drawing doesn't really reveal anything I didn't already know from adjusting the contrast of the final comics.  I'm fairly sure the panel right of Albanion was a human, which would seem to indicate he's a Were of some sort.

I'm gonna check again.

If anyone really wants, I can post images of the HSCB-adjusted comics, but you can do it yourself with any decent graphics program.  Turn brightness, contrast, and gamma way up.  Contrast shouldn't be more than about 80% max.
On 366, I thought the character on the left was Akaen.  Unless you see something different by adjusting the parameters, I believe that the fin-like object is his hairstyle.  He also appears to have large ears.

On 367, I see a hole in the ear, but not one in the arm.

I seem to have started something.  However, I view magnification as fair game, but I'm not sure if advanced forensic techniques are really fair.  (Amber seemed to have some issues.  Of course, some of the readers could provide her with an obfuscation algorithm.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Fuyudenki

obfuscation algorithm: black out the entire character, instead of just darkening it.  That would sufficiently prevent people like me from adjusting the contrast.

I think it looks better with the subtle lines, though, personally.

If you want to do the alterations on your own, there is a free graphics editing program here called XMView.  It's what I did the adjustments with, and what I generally use for format conversions.

I'm fairly certain the first creature in 366 is a Mer.  The fin structure is fairly unmistakable, it doesn't seem to have wings, and I can't imagine someone like who Akaen looks like taking that kind of expression.

Also, recall that Mer can take a bipedal, air-breathing form.

[edit]also, note the bubbly speech bubble and different font.  I hadn't caught that before.

Naldru

Quote from: Raist on September 23, 2007, 06:38:06 PM
I'm fairly certain the first creature in 366 is a Mer.  The fin structure is fairly unmistakable, it doesn't seem to have wings, and I can't imagine someone like who Akaen looks like taking that kind of expression.

Also, recall that Mer can take a bipedal, air-breathing form.

[edit]also, note the bubbly speech bubble and different font.  I hadn't caught that before.

I'll go along with the Mer.  I just took another look at the figure, and there appear to be what look like barbels on the face.  (Barbels are the whiskerlike feelers on the mouth of catfish.)  I'll also agree that the cubi is not Fa'lina.

By the way, when I adjusted the gamma, it appeared that most of the image was a uniform grey with jusst a few lines.  So I'd say that Amber did a reasonably good job of obfuscation.

Kuari

I think what gives the Beings an edge is that their short lives make them less overconfident.  Overconfidence is the greatest downfall of a majority of villians.

Naldru

I remember a program on The History Channel that was discussing tank battles in World War II.  (I may have the quotes a little off, but the meaning is unchanged.)

American tank commander:    It was awful.  It took five allied tanks to take out one German panzer.

(ten minutes later) German tank commander:  It was a nightmare.  If it had been one German tank against one allied tank, we wouldn't have had any problems.  But for every one of us, there were six of them and they were chopping us to pieces.

Replace the allied tanks with beings, and the German tanks with demons and cubi, and I think you would have roughly the same relative positions.

Zedd

Naldru

Quote from: Kuari on October 02, 2007, 03:35:32 PM
I think what gives the Beings an edge is that their short lives make them less overconfident.  Overconfidence is the greatest downfall of a majority of villians.
Quote from: Zedd on October 02, 2007, 07:22:07 PM
Beings are for eating and not for worry about >:3
I think that this pair of posts makes a nice combination and supports Kuari's supposition.  A lot of people go into war convinced of their martial superiority and simply end up feeding the crows.  I guess it all goes back to Sherman's "War is Hell" speech.

Kuari

Quote from: Naldru on October 02, 2007, 08:53:40 PM
Quote from: Zedd on October 02, 2007, 07:22:07 PM
Beings are for eating and not for worry about >:3
I think that this pair of posts makes a nice combination and supports Kuari's supposition.  A lot of people go into war convinced of their martial superiority and simply end up feeding the crows.  I guess it all goes back to Sherman's "War is Hell" speech.

Main thing that gets me thinking this is that the Paladin from Abel's story seemed to strike a bit of fear into a couple of the attackers, despite being blind.  I would like to know how much was done on that side of things...

Goatmon

I think what gives the Beings an edge is that their short lives make them less overconfident. 

I dunno, It's hard to consider yourself short lived, when your own life span is the one you're most familiar with.  Unless you have a Cubi/fae/whatever friend or acquaintance, it's hard to realize just how short a human/being life really is. 

Kuari

Quote from: Goatmon on October 03, 2007, 04:55:58 AM
I think what gives the Beings an edge is that their short lives make them less overconfident. 

I dunno, It's hard to consider yourself short lived, when your own life span is the one you're most familiar with.  Unless you have a Cubi/fae/whatever friend or acquaintance, it's hard to realize just how short a human/being life really is. 

Pretty sure seasoned adventurers know what they're up against

Tapewolf

Wait 'till you're 30  >:3

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2007, 05:00:57 AM
Heh I know that feeling....Im almost there

RobbieThe1st

You know, I really wonder. You all are talking about state of the art weaponry, but what if you just took a large hunk of metal(basically a simple cannonball, perhaps round, and, using a lot of magic-energy, you aim it at the unsuspecting target from a ways away, and hurl it at a high speed. Even with magic shields, which might stop it from penetrating the target, if you aimed it properly(would be best if you had a large stone wall/cliff/hill/mountain on the opposite side of the target), and basically shove the target into the wall at a high speed. At the very least it would take a *lot* of energy to withstand that sort of attack, and greatly weaken the target, if it didn't kill the target right off.

Who needs advanced weaponry when you have large objects hurled at high speed?

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

The problem with that, Robbie, is that the -easiest- way of solving it is to step to one side just after you fire.

After all, don't forget - if you can see me, I can see you.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Fuyudenki

Tell me about it.  I've still got 8 years 'till then, and I'm already feeling the weight of my impending death!

DarkAudit

Quote from: Raist on October 03, 2007, 12:29:42 PM

Tell me about it.  I've still got 8 years 'till then, and I'm already feeling the weight of my impending death!

Could be worse. Could be 8 years after then, like... like...

Excuse me... *runs off sobbing*
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

SpottedKitty

Quote from: DarkAudit on October 03, 2007, 03:29:02 PM
Could be worse. Could be 8 years after then, like... like...
Is that all...?

[thinks about it]

[goes to have a lie-down and a nice cup of tea]

ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.