2007-9-2 [814] - Jokes are never as funny the second time around

Started by stiletto, September 02, 2007, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on September 06, 2007, 08:10:00 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 06, 2007, 06:07:51 AMso while my character has done many highly questionable things from a Being point of view - up to and including stealing souls - devouring them completely is where I draw the line.
That sounds a bit like hunting an animal and not making use of everything you get out of it. Wasteful and wrong :/

Or like catching a fish, weighing it and quickly throwing it back in the river before it drowns.  Jakob was brought up to believe that life is sacred.

Since you ask:

"...and if the short life of a Being is sacred, then robbing someone, anyone of their afterlife is surely a crime far, far more heinous than any mere murder.  I do not believe I have the right to take such an action."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 06, 2007, 06:07:51 AM
I can imagine.  Keaton seems to be the only person easy enough with the idea of soul-eating to create a character who actually enjoys it.  I've always found the idea repellent, so while my character has done many highly questionable things from a Being point of view - up to and including stealing souls - devouring them completely is where I draw the line.

*Charline smirks evily, an anonymous victim in her clutches*  How can you have forgotten me, my dear?  I love devouring the souls of my prey!  I don't care one bit that they are utterly erased from existance.  If there souls were strong enough to get away, then they'd be worthy!  As it stands, they are easy to capture and absorb, thus they are inferior life forms and useful only as energy to fuel my increasing power!  Silly beings often feel pity for lesser animals that they eat, but what about plants?  Aren't they alive too?  Face it, for one thing to live, many other things must die.  The lesser feed the greater.  And we Cubi are the greatest of all... *grumbles*... other than the Fae, but I'll deal with them in time.  I shall not rest until the Cubi race is exaulted beyond all others!  And I shall ascend to the greatest of heights as supreme goddess!   :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

*Charles erms*  You just stepped on a caterpillar.

*Charline eeks!*  Oh noes!   Now it can't be a pretty butterfly!  :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on September 06, 2007, 10:42:03 AM
*Charline smirks evily, an anonymous victim in her clutches*  How can you have forgotten me, my dear?

I don't know.  But rest assured as soon as I saw your preparing to post I realised there would be a reckoning...  :B

QuoteSilly beings often feel pity for lesser animals that they eat, but what about plants?  Aren't they alive too?  Face it, for one thing to live, many other things must die.
Which is why 'Cubi feed on emotions (he says, while realising that baiting Charline is probably not a good idea)

Alondro

*Charline immediately goes out and devours the souls of an entire town, painting the word "Knives" in blood on the town's central fountain*   :veryevil
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Fuyudenki

It's a lot easier to deal with the whole mess of the morality of eating souls when you decide that your DMFA race is not incubus.(and I'd make a really lousy succubus, considering my dangly bits.)  My character, should he ever emerge from the aether of nonexistence, wouldn't have to worry about the morality of denying someone their afterlife from the predatory perspective, only from the view of potential prey.

I just consider anyone who gets their soul devoured equivalent to an "extra" in a movie.  They're filler characters, nobody's going to miss them if they get eaten, kinda like the pizza delivery boy Kria ate.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on September 06, 2007, 11:34:43 AM
It's a lot easier to deal with the whole mess of the morality of eating souls when you decide that your DMFA race is not incubus.
I think you're probably on the wrong track here.  Soul-eating and trapping is apparently a learned ability that 'Cubi seem to excel at.  Since it appears to be just a matter of casting the right spells, I bet you anything other Creatures can do it too if they know how.   Remember Lorenda's surname...?

**EDIT**
...and that Dark Pegasus was going to do something of the kind with Mab's soul to summon the Dark God.  That said, Fae don't seem to have souls in the quite same sense as other races.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 06, 2007, 11:39:57 AM
Quote from: Raist on September 06, 2007, 11:34:43 AM
It's a lot easier to deal with the whole mess of the morality of eating souls when you decide that your DMFA race is not incubus.
I think you're probably on the wrong track here.  Soul-eating and trapping is apparently a learned ability that 'Cubi seem to excel at.  Since it appears to be just a matter of casting the right spells, I bet you anything other Creatures can do it too if they know how.   Remember Lorenda's surname...?

**EDIT**
...and that Dark Pegasus was going to do something of the kind with Mab's soul to summon the Dark God.  That said, Fae don't seem to have souls in the quite same sense as other races.

Still dealing with Demons, who are sometimes theorized to be half of the Cubi genome.(the other half being Angels).  Kria is a demon-mare, Lorenda is half-demon, and DP was a demon-horse.

Now granted, you've probably got more research invested in this than me, so your points are more valid than any I might make for now, but I still think soul devouring tends to be an inherent ability, as opposed to a trained one, save for very powerful magic.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on September 06, 2007, 11:46:08 AM
Now granted, you've probably got more research invested in this than me, so your points are more valid than any I might make for now, but I still think soul devouring tends to be an inherent ability, as opposed to a trained one, save for very powerful magic.

To be honest, I don't know.  Amber seemed to be saying otherwise, but it was an off-the-cuff comment and I could be reading too much into it myself...

**EDIT**

Got it.  Make of this what you will:

"As such, emotional absorbing would be considered a natural trait.  Soul-stealing would be considered a magical ability."

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=746.msg18019#msg18019

Caswin

Quote from: Raist on September 06, 2007, 11:34:43 AMI just consider anyone who gets their soul devoured equivalent to an "extra" in a movie.  They're filler characters, nobody's going to miss them if they get eaten, kinda like the pizza delivery boy Kria ate.
So... what if they're not an extra?

(And, believe it or not, I actually hold that and the other 20+ faceless murders/dinners against Kria.  Someone really ought to stop her, but I say that about a lot of characters...)
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 06, 2007, 11:51:47 AM
Got it.  Make of this what you will:

"As such, emotional absorbing would be considered a natural trait.  Soul-stealing would be considered a magical ability."

soul stealing as a magic ability

Ah, I thought I was missing something.

seems only Cubi and Demons really occupy themselves with the theft and consumption of souls, though, and I identify with neither, I maintain my third-party/prey status.

Quote from: Caswin on September 06, 2007, 01:56:07 PM
(And, believe it or not, I actually hold that and the other 20+ faceless murders/dinners against Kria.  Someone really ought to stop her, but I say that about a lot of characters...)

do note that Kria is considered less evil than Moira Gianna, whatever that may mean.  Seems to me, Moira is was the only thing standing between Jyyras and that pizza-delivery boy, so Beings can certainly have power sufficient to make Creatures edgy.

WhiteFire

Quote from: Raist on September 06, 2007, 02:33:03 PM
do note that Kria is considered less evil than Moira Gianna, whatever that may mean.  Seems to me, Moira is was the only thing standing between Jyyras and that pizza-delivery boy, so Beings can certainly have power sufficient to make Creatures edgy.

It's funny for a being's first reaction to the news of the murder of Kria's X was "you should have sued him".

Of course, this all begs the question: are we applying the wrong model of evil to the comic? Our morals are obviously somewhat different than the ones in the world the comic is in, and the morals in that world are obviously in flux right now as the Beings gain more power in the world.