Zedd

Quote from: RJ on August 26, 2007, 08:36:39 PM
Quote from: Zedd on August 26, 2007, 06:46:40 PM
Stealing is bdong!

The opposite of stealing is gnodeb!

Kung Pow quotes? >_>
You know it auntie RJ! *thumbs up*

Caswin

Quote from: Zedd on August 26, 2007, 06:46:40 PMStealing is bdong!
Gneh... kids these days, throwing around "badong" like it's nothing, it's almost meaningless now...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

AndersW

What are you referring to?  Could you provide a link of some kind.

Caswin

Quote from: AndersW on August 26, 2007, 10:55:08 PM
What are you referring to?  Could you provide a link of some kind.
It's from a very silly movie called Kung Pow.  The protagonist, Chosen One, tries to come up with a new word to accurately describe how bad and wrong killing is, and comes up with "badong".
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Saist

Quote from: Zedd on August 26, 2007, 09:44:22 PM
Stealing is bdong!

Kung Pow quotes? >_>

... Auntie... RJ?
* je.saist debates whether or not firing the Orbital Ribbon cannon on Zedd would be a "good" thing...

Zedd

Quote from: je.saist on August 27, 2007, 12:42:02 AM
Stealing is bdong!

Kung Pow quotes? >_>

... Auntie... RJ?
* je.saist debates whether or not firing the Orbital Ribbon cannon on Zedd would be a "good" thing...
Mind you I can hear that

Turnsky

heh, forgot i had a Gaia online account from the days of yore, when its community at large didn't suck.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Fex

man I can't remember how long it has been I have been there for the last time hell I don't know my name and password anymore. though I never liked it there I played for 4 hours ... I never get them back

Saist

Quote from: Zedd on August 27, 2007, 12:49:30 AM
Stealing is bdong!

Kung Pow quotes? >_>

... Auntie... RJ?
Mind you I can hear that
* je.saist fires the confetti cannon instead!

Caswin

Quote from: je.saist on August 27, 2007, 04:04:53 AM
Quote from: Zedd on August 27, 2007, 12:49:30 AM
Stealing is bdong!

Kung Pow quotes? >_>

... Auntie... RJ?
Mind you I can hear that
* je.saist fires the confetti cannon instead!
Orbital confetti cannon?

That's... wow, I'm actually having trouble counting the possibilities.  :disbelief
Yap yap.

Zedd

*Zedd knows the posblitys of driving people insane is a 4 chance out of 5..*  >:3

Goatmon

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 26, 2007, 03:59:01 PM
To me, Gaia will always be a terrorist organisation  :P

Gaia can be kinda scary on the off chance that those people get organized.  I heard somewhere that they raided 4chan for 12 hours once.  4chan!

multani82

Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 03:38:23 PM

Gaia can be kinda scary on the off chance that those people get organized.  I heard somewhere that they raided 4chan for 12 hours once.  4chan!
and I remmember when 4chan would raid the tom green show   :boggle

Goatmon

Quote from: multani82 on September 04, 2007, 03:40:49 PM
Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 03:38:23 PM

and I remmember when 4chan would raid the tom green show   :boggle

That's called karma. 

bill

Honestly, Gaia and 4chan trying to kill each other is probably the ideal situation for all involved.

Zedd

Quote from: BillBuckner on September 04, 2007, 04:28:02 PM
Honestly, Gaia and 4chan trying to kill each other is probably the ideal situation for all involved.
That goes for 7chan without saying calling themselfs the new /b

Kamunt

...Just about every image board I can think of scares the crap out of me and needs to die. Die very painfully and horribly. 4chan, 7chan, luls.net, *chan, w/echan, I'm talking to you. Raid each other to death, then yell at each other for not taking pictures of it until you all e-cut each other's heads off. While they then e-run around like headless e-chickens, we can then proceed in with the final blow by posting a mass of furriness, thereby causing each of them to ASPLODE simultaneously while we use their e-heads to play e-soccer/football in an AIM chat room.

....Me, hateful? :3 Hah, nah, of course not.

:mwaha

No srsly, Fchan is the only image board that doesn't scare the crap out of me.... :O Should I find that weird?

Quote from: Turnsky on August 27, 2007, 01:04:49 AMheh, forgot i had a Gaia online account from the days of yore, when its community at large didn't suck.
Lies!, that time never existed! >.> :rolleyes

EDIT: Oh, and that's an awesome post there, so very original. I like how they really develop each of those races of creatures, I can totally picture them existing in a totally original, not-ripped-off world. I wish I could be that original.

Kirishala

Fortunately this sort of thing is exactly what the DMCA was designed for, a swift Takedown Notice and they have to get rid of that Or Else.

DMFA!

Saist

Quote from: Kirishala on September 09, 2007, 12:32:54 PM
Fortunately this sort of thing is exactly what the DMCA was designed for, a swift Takedown Notice and they have to get rid of that Or Else.

or... else... what?

The sad fact is that the DMCA is designed for "Big Media" with "Big Money." It isn't designed for small business, home operators, or the self-employed. There is no practical way for Amber to enforce her copyright, trademark, or whatever against Gaia online. As I said when this story broke, this happens on Gaia everyday, every hour, and the staff or whatever passes for staff, has no intention of stopping or moderating it.

A complaint can be filed, yes, but it's highly unlikely that Gaia's controllers or hosting provider would respond to it. The only way they would respond is if Amber took them to court... and since Amber is in Canada, and Gaia Online is registered in San Jose California, there is a large question of jurisdiction.  There is the additional questions of court costs, travel, and so on.  If Amber tried to file in Canada, it would be brought up that DMCA is US only. Gaia Online would not have to respond to a Canadian court, and to be honest, I'd be mad as all get out if a Canadian Court thought it could control anybody in the US.

So. No. The DMCA was in no way designed to deal with theft like this. It never was, and likely will never be modified to do so.

Naldru

Admittedly, it can be messy, but you also have to remember that American copyright laws are based on international treaties.  There is, however, a very good reason to file a complaint even if you don't plan to take further action.

The courts often expect people to use due diligence to enforce your rights.  By sending the notice, you show that you are not giving tacit approval to the use of your  material.  That's why Disney, Warner Brothers, and other large companies send out so many warning letters.

Now, there is another approach, for those with a nasty legal mind.  If you can identify copyrighted material belonging to Sony, Walt Disney, Paramount, Warner Brothers, etc., you can send a letter to that firm indicating that the unauthorized use of their property was uncovered in an attempt to end unauthorized use of your own material.

Now, that company has a vested interest in going after the site in order to show due diligence in protection of their property.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

GabrielsThoughts

aha! but amber originally published the work in the USA so therfore...I have no I dea what I'm talking about.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Naldru

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 09, 2007, 07:03:57 PM
aha! but amber originally published the work in the USA so therfore...I have no I dea what I'm talking about.
Go to the website for copyright information from the World Intellectual Property Organization.  The United States of America and Canada are both contracting parties to the Berne Convention.

GabrielsThoughts

I have copyright documents at home for my NIO comic, but what I'm questioning is the whole cut n' paste operation, we could just ask that it is attributed to Amber, rather than "BURN IT!!!" or "remove it", you might get more co-opperation from whomever.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on September 09, 2007, 06:59:11 PMAdmittedly, it can be messy, but you also have to remember that American copyright laws are based on international treaties.

What you have to remember is that Amber would have to travel to California and hire and pay lawyers to file a suit.

On the other hand, they might simply respond to a cease and desist letter.  Those usually get some attention, and you could probably do that from Canada and it would have the same effect.

Heck, I could pretend to be a lawyer acting on Amber's behalf and it might get the same effect.  Or I could get sued for practicing law without a license.  :<

Quote from: Naldru on September 09, 2007, 06:59:11 PMThe courts often expect people to use due diligence to enforce your rights.

This is true for trademarks and I think it's true for patents.  It used to be true for copyrights, but not anymore.  In the US (and very likely in Canada), you do not have to aggressively protect your rights and sue every poor soul that tries to use your work.  You may risk the possibility of lower awards, but you will not lose your copyright that way.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Naldru

I agree with almost everything that was said, and I think that some of what I said was misunderstood.

I agree that due diligence on copyrights is not required any more.  (This is based on the Berne Convention, which eliminated the need.)  However, sending letters doesn't hurt and may resolve the problem.  In addition, my understanding is that almost all judicial organizations (American, Canadian, and international) expect you to have made some attempt at resolution outside the judicial process before they will take any action on a case.

Coming to an agreement is always more pleasant, and most courts want efforts to have taken place before you take it to court.  Yes, they might agree to attribution, and that would be sufficient.  (I am thinking of the legal battle between New York University (NYU) and the Jim Henson organization.  People at NYU had written a telecommunications program called Kermit.  After NYU admitted that the name of the package was based on the Muppet, the Jim Henson organization gave NYU permission to use the name.)

You don't want to pretend to be a lawyer.  The cease and desist letters are normally sent by the organization holding the intellectual property rights, not a lawyer.  Having the letter  state that it comes from a lawyer would be the best indication that it doesn't come from a lawyer.  (The real sign that it comes from a lawyer is that it is often sent certified mail.)

If the web site and the people running the server are totally uncooperative, I meant that you could send information to the other people whose intellectual property (IP) was violated.  Or you could send the letter with a list of items violating your IP rights and also indicating violations against other firms such as Disney, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Sony, etc.  The appearance of items of the other companies' IP would imply a threat to share information with those companies.  For these companies, the infringed IP rights include trademarks, copyrights, and service marks, and they have a reputation for vigorous enforcement.  (Try writing your own Tarzan novel and watch the fireworks.)

As with dealings with any other organization, try to be pleasant and cooperative at first.  You can always switch to the bitch from hell later, if necessary.  (I am hoping that this wording is acceptable on a PG board.  I will not take it amiss if the moderators want to replace some letters with asterisks.)

Alondro

*Charles sidles in, slithering from the darkness is a very unsettlingly serpentine manner*  Hisss!  Amber could ssssell her copyright to my animation company and I could prosssssecute the theivesssss.

Of course, I'd asssssk for a little compensation.  Nothing much, just Charline becoming the main villain, my corporate crew desinging a nice politically-correct cartoon movie series for direct-to-video release, and all artwork would be made in Korea and Australia where I can hire artists for less than nothing to make my mediocre productions.   >:3

*Yep, Charles has now stooped to Disney-level evil!*   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif