Worst pain you've ever felt.

Started by TheDXM, July 12, 2007, 07:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDXM

This is fairly self-explanatory.

Someone will start out with a post, identifying the worst pain they've ever felt before, and the next poster will try and top it.

Obviously things would go very quick if we could just make things up, so it has to be a painful experience you've ACTUALLY FELT in your life time, first hand. Feel free to mix in 'emotional' agony on top of things.

Go!

Tabasco in both eyes.

lucas marcone

failed kick flip ending in me comeing down on my vertical skateboard nuts first.

techmaster-glitch

Tabasco in both eyes.
Yeouch. I don't even think I could imagine that...I've always made it a point in my life to avoid physical pain at all costs...it's part of the reason why I'm a strictly indoor-person. I only leave my home when I have to.

Probably the worst pain that i have ever felt (that I can remember, mind you) is a time where I think I almost broke my arm. Fortunately, I have never in my life actually broken a bone. For that I am thankful.

failed kick flip ending in me comeing down on my vertical skateboard nuts first.
Holy $#!7, I don't think I can even think about that one...

Angel

A cyst rupturing inside my body. I thought I had appendicitis, that's how bad it was.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

lucas marcone

i also got hit by a van in fifth grade and broke my leg. it was a clean break so they had to put a metal plate in so it could heal....when it did they took it out and i still have the screws they used to put it in.

Zedd

Rusty nail....In and out the foot..With shoes still on

lucas marcone

in carpentry at votech my classmate baily got that treatment too. poorboy nearly passed out. says "the sight of my blood freaks me out"

Feroluce

hmmmm, tough one. I have a bit of a draw.

First was in shop when I was 16, I was cutting a plank of wood (I forget why) And had my thumb out to stabilise the edge of the saw. It was rough wood, and I was in a hurry, so when the saw hit a knot and jumped out of its groove it sawed to the bone in my thumb. Through the nail. It hasnt grown right since, funnily enough, and was impossible to stitch because of the nail.

Second was more recent, when I tripped over a table in my room, and put my hand over an old canvas needle I had pushed into the wall (because I had nowhere to put it, and didnt want it lying around on the floor >.<) The needle went stright through the muscle that seperates the thumb from the fingers, to the point that when I pulled my hand away on reflex, the needle came too. I wondered why my hand hurt when there was nothing on the wall... till I looked at my hand, and saw the needlepoint. Yep, that sucker went in eye-end first.

Im probably beat by getting hit by a van, tho o.o;; I have to admit, I havent broken any bones. Then again, thanks to my job as a bone density tech, I know that my bones (And those of my extended family, its a genetic trait =D) are about twice as strong as normal, lol.

*edit Plant to Plank. Wow, what was I drinkin... oh yeah. The wine. >.>

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm not sure I can beat those.

I mean, I've done the rusty nail through the foot, broken my arm a couple of times - worst one was when I broke my arm at 11pm, and the folks wouldn't take me to A&E (there were a bunch of other kids around as well, so it wasn't like they had the spare people to watch) until morning.

At about 2am, m'mother come out to hear me whimpering. The cat had sat on my broken arm, and was purring happily. I, on the other hand, couldn't push the cat off because it hurt so much...

I still think the worst one, worse than that, I mean, was watching my wife give birth. Because, well, there's this thing, see, that some women get so caught up in concentrating on giving birth that they don't want to even be touched. So we're sitting there, she's screaming in agony (every three minutes, on the dot), and I can't even touch her. Heart-breaking, really...

Let's not go into the "falling asleep between the screams", though. That was just weird. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: lucas marcone on July 12, 2007, 07:30:04 PM
i also got hit by a van in fifth grade and broke my leg.
How fast was the van going?  My sister was driving down the street toward our house and I jumped out in front of her while she was still going about 15 MPH and rolled across the hood. :lol  That didn't hurt at all, though.

I was just a little kid, maybe 3 or 4 when this happened, and I don't really remember the pain, but there was a lot of blood, I remember that much.  I was staying with my dad at his sister's house in a converted garage that had two steps down from the  house.  For fun (because I was 3-4 years old and stupid), I jumped down those two steps, but I landed awkward and ended up falling forward hitting my forehead on the sharp edge of a wooden table.  I don't remember actually hitting my head, I just remember falling, then waking up on the floor bleeding profusely with my parents holding several towels to my forehead to try and stop the blood.  Had to get a few stitches for that one and I actually cracked my skull.

And if that doesn't cut it, I was riding my bike down a sloped sidewalk when I lost control and got a face-full of concrete.  Fortunately, it wasn't my face that was hurt, but when I sat up, I noticed a streak of blood on the sidewalk about a 6 inches long and 3 inches wide, and that there was no longer any skin on my knee.  It didn't hurt until I saw what had happened, and then it hit me like a sack of bricks.  There was no way I could get home on my own, but fortunately, someone was kind enough to stop, pick me up, and take me home.  The bandages around my knee had to be changed pretty often because the pus was soaking them. :P

lucas marcone

somewhere in the neighborhood of 35

Angel

WOW. And I thought I went through bad pain.

I was gonna say cramps that woke me up at 3 AM, but although they are unpleasant, it sounds like everyone else's pain was worse.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Kenji

My spine tried to rip itself in two with 4th degree sponolothesis, nearly causing paralysis and/or death. Oh, and the agonizing 4 years leading up to it of having to carry around a 20-30 lb bookbag, all the while with my doctor telling me that I was just complaining for attention. Yup. Those were the days.

Castle Pokemetroid

I once had a dollar stolen to me and my friend and I tried to get it back, and the person who stole it slamed my head and my body into the concrete wall. He did that while I was holding onto his backpack strap and I never did let go until my friend got teh dollar. And I still have that dollar today and I don't think I'll ever spend it.

Another one: In PE class, my class (7th grade) was facing the 8th graders in soccer and I think some of those were taking steroids, cause they can hit the ball instanly hard and very far. I got hit by those soccerballs a few times. Once it was pretty much aimed at my nuts, It was my reflexes that saved me. It hit the side side of my leg and nummed it for half an hour. My PE teacher acually praised me for it. He said I was one of the few who got pelted like that and didn't quit.

Both those times it happened at school and I acually never felt pain from thoses, nor did I get bruses.

A time that I acually felt pain was when I ate boiled crab.  :U I got a stomach ache for 6 days and the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep until it went away and I threw up alot.  :<

So this means that the worst pain I had was from eating crab.  :erk

Miaka

I'm almost positive that I can't top any of your stories, but... here we go!

six or seven years old, a cookie sheet seconds out of the oven hits me, literally milimeters away from my left eye. It swelled up, I had a gigantic burn blister which scarred over(Hardly noticeable now, but...)...
Even worse, is that my mom was the one holding it.

xHaZxMaTx

Oh, speaking if burns, I was once trying to get the lid off of a cup of hot chocolate fresh off the stovetop, and I ended up spilling it all over my chest.  That wasn't fun. :<

Fuyudenki

nope, don't think I can top any of those.  My worst pain would either be the random metal slivers that I've been getting in my hands the past few days(installing a tile floor.  I think I've personally screwed in over 600 screws, just for the subfloor.  The driver I was using got hot enough that I think I almost burned myself when I covered the vents earlier today.), or the random INTENSE pain in my arm, which feels like a broken bone.  Not that I know what a broken bone feels like, since I've never had one.

The worst emotional pain I've ever felt was when my long-distance girlfriend dumped me, three years ago.  I still do not foresee myself having a romantic interest in the near future.

They say love's better the second time around.  That's because getting your toenails removed with a jackhammer would feel good, compared to the first time.

Brunhidden

I don't think i can top kenji or zedd, but i do have two very nasty ones.

When i first got married i worked at a factory to be left unnamed, producing parts for caterpillar tractors and casings for artillery shells. we worked with BIG machines and made BIG parts, particularly fuel tanks and hydraulic tanks for earth movers. One fateful day i was flattening some parts that were bent incorrectly (your supposed to scrap them, but company policy said flatten and re bend) on a 250 ton hydraulic brake press. one of the parts slipped, pinning my index fingers against the die with a full 250 tons of pressure. luckily i had taken my foot off the 'down' pedal, just barely in time, unluckily the safety devices on the press had been removed- the 'up' pedal was not on the floor where i could reach it, it was above my forehead and out of reach. i tried, i even tried head butting, sticking my toung out, and contorting until my foot was up there. no luck, and shouting for help in a noisy factory was no help, it was half an hour before anyone heard me. the boss, instead of letting his superiors know this happened, drove me to the hospital which was luckily kind of open at 4 AM. after being admitted i waited in the waiting room for one hour, fingers turning purple, swelling, and listening to the nurses chat to each other. finally they said, as though i was bothering them, that i could go to X-ray. i waited an hour at X-ray waiting room until they let me in, they tried to mush my hands to different shapes to get a good X-ray, sent me back to the waiting room, and an hour later said i could go down to the ward. at the ward i waited another hour before a doctor showed up, looked at my charts, and said "the X-rays say you didn't break anything, show up tomorrow morning and we will check you out and you may go back to work the same day. would you like an ibuprofen?"

would i like an ibuprofen? YES PLEASE!     

so they give me an ibuprofen, put my fingers into splints that look like those giant foam fingers, and send me home. the following morning i show up, the doctor laughs at me cause i look like im wearing  giant foam fingers, tells me my tendons have been crushed and will not function for two months, and then tells me to pee in a cup. This posed about 20 minutes of painful wrestling with a zipper using my pinkies. That day i went back to work.

a previous incident in high school involved me working in shop class grinding a hammer head with a belt grinder and some BLEEP BLEEP goat BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP taco BLEEEEEEEEEEEP BLEEP foot BLEEP BLEEP thought it would be funny to sneak up behind me and shove my elbow. i don't know if the sound of my thumb being chewn by a belt grinder was funny, but the sight of bone was not funny as i heard nobody laughing. However i was in shock and felt no pain for the first five minutes, allowing me to have a bit of fun asking the instructor what i should do... the instructor was a man with no facial expressions, and constantly lectured his classes on safety by telling stories starting with "i used to have a friend who-" and invariably end in the death of the friend (highlights being a guy who died doing a dukes of hazard stunt after modifying his engine, and another who died when someone pulled a prank sticking a compressed air hose up his tuckus) i was rewarded by seeing his eyebrows raise, which had never happened before. by the time i got home shock was over and i was left with a bloody chunk of thumb in a band aid which my father insisted i take the bandaid off so he could poke the bone.

I also had dental surgery which require sawing a portion of my jaw off, but they gave me so many meds it probably dosent count.... if i DIDNT have the horse tranqs it would definately have topped the list.

QuoteInstant gratification takes too long.

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Fuyudenki

oh yeah, I had my jaw broken and realigned.  That doesn't work, though, since I was out at the time, and didn't feel a thing.

The recovery was marginally more fun than reeds under your fingernails.  I dislike being sick.  That's why I rarely am.

Kryptic

I skidded on my face on asphalt once.

It was a horse-riding accident. Apparently horseshoes and asphalt don't mix too well. Lots of slippage.

I wound up making a nice bloody skidmark on the road. I didn't even go to the hospital. I actually went on a field trip the next day, movie-monster face and all.

What else? A friend slammed my finger in a locker once. It broke my nail in half. That hurt.

I've also broken a lot of bones. Growth Plate, Radius and Ulna, Pinky Toe (twice). But my brother's cracked his skull open... so maybe I can't top that.

xHaZxMaTx

Oh, can't believe I forgot about this, considering it only happened two months ago:

I was donating blood for the first time (I had no idea how big those needles were :erk), and the lady was having trouble finding a suitable artery in either arm.  Finally she just stuck the needle in and was pretty much scrounging for an artery, which is obviously a bad idea, because she ended up hitting a nerve.  I can describe exactly what it felt like - fire.  A flaming streak of pain running the length of my arm, but she also found an artery at the same time, and at the risk of having the same thing happening again, I just had her leave the needle in and draw the blood.  Afterwards, I could hardly move my arm for a few days, couldn't really pick up anything heavier than 2-4 lbs. for a week, and was still feeling pain 2 weeks after that.  My arm still feels a bit weird, but nothing hurts and my arm's fully functional, so I'm not worried about it.

techmaster-glitch

Hmm, on a similar note, I once had a blood test (for the first time ever, mind you), and yes, the needle was quite thick. But when it went into my arm and began sucking out some blood, that's exactly what it felt like: My blood was getting sucked out. Not, it didn't really hurt (aside from the slight sting on the needle), but the interesting part was that, since I had never felt anything like it before, My body (and I) didn't really know how to respond. So I giggled. And I couldn't stop. No, seriously. I was giggling the whole time and for the life of me I could not stop myself.

Ok, end post of experience that was not really painful, but related to the above post.

Brunhidden

donating blood is a fun kind of pain- its not very intense but its slow, persistant, incredibly unnatural to fee, and more or less self inflicted. also theres the mental torture of watching your blood move through a tube in front of you and the strong urge to wiggle or pull it out even though you know thats a very bad thing to do.

for months i donated plasma, twice a week. its different from donating blood because theres a few extra steps

1- once the blood is sucked from your arm (the crux of your elbow is still a nasty place to stick a needle) it goes into a centrifuge immediately, the urine colored plasma goes into a bag or bottle and the red pudding of your blood cells is stored

2- about once a minute the needle stops sucking and starts to spew that pudding back into your arm. keep in mind that it is going THE WRONG WAY into your blood vessel. this is the point the attendants have to be careful of- if they inserted the needle wrong its leaking that blood paste into your body outside of the blood vessels and your arm puffs up. ive had this happen often, it hurts like crazy and then they either wiggle the needle around inside your arm (its a nasty thing to feel something move inside your veins) or remove it and screw up your other arm too.

3- after a set amount of plasma has been collected they want to rehydrate you by hooking up a bag of saline solution to pump into you as long as the needle is still handy. this solution is always very cold, and its a very disturbing sensation to feel cold liquid enter your veins, particularly that you can now feel a few dozen blood vessels and could practically draw on your arm where they branch its so vivid a sensation

4- for no apperant reason your mouth tastes like a rubber glove, its just weird

5- oh yeah, in order to facilitate things the donation center asks you drink a lot of fluids, roughly a gallon of water, a set time before arriving. this means that you just spent about an hour bleeding in a chair trying not to think about fluids and now have to dash to the restroom with only one usable hand

i did that twice a week why? cause they paid me, 20 dollars flat rate, a 5 dollar bonus if it was between the hours of 9 and 2, and the second time in seven days gets an extra 10 dollar bonus. so i go twice a week a little after noon to get 60 dollars, i get stabbed and bled in order to pay for gas.

QuoteYour sole contribution to the sum of things is yourself.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

superluser

In my younger days, I had an experience sort of like Brunhidden's, but three orders of magnitude less forceful.  I was at a conference with my family, and I decided to check out the weight room at the hotel.  There was a pneumatic chest press there that went up to 350 lbs., but I noticed that it wouldn't go up to 350 lbs. (or whatever your selected weight was) until the press was fully back for the first time.  Independently, I noticed that there was a button that you couldn't see because the machine covered it up whenever the press was fully back.  So, with the machine set to 350 lbs., but before the machine was actually delivering that weight, I decided to press the button.

I lost a nail, and the next time we went to that hotel, there was a minimum age requirement on the weight room.  I'm told that I've actually caused many safety improvements over the years.

I've also had some surgery that was probably more painful than anything mentioned here, but I was under (and two years old) at the time.

My mother tells me that her dentist didn't believe in Novocaine, so she had cavities filled, wisdom teeth removed, and root canals without any anesthetic.

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 14, 2007, 01:45:31 AMI was donating blood for the first time (I had no idea how big those needles were :erk), and the lady was having trouble finding a suitable artery in either arm.

If they're looking for an artery, never go there again.  ;)  They should be looking for a vein.  I've had some health problems, so I've had a few experiences with drawing blood, including the ``we can't find a vein'' issue.  They'll go wiggling the needle around like a set of rabbit ears.  They never hit a nerve, though.

(The last time I gave blood was September 10, 2001.)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

TheGreyRonin

Interesting game.

Being an accident magnet, I could ramble on for days. The highlights include two seperate surgeries to remove my wisdom teeth while awake, being stabbed through the hand with a screwdriver by a "friend", and multiple seizures for over a decade, but the top physical pain has to be from when I was a kid, and the car I was riding in was hit by a drunk driver.

The tally from that accident alone was two broken ribs, my left shin broken (Wear seatbelts, kids!), a chunk of the dashboard slicing my scalp open in two places, and my face being mangled.

My lower jaw hit the back of one of the front seats and was shoved back hard enough to split it, and the upper half of my face caught some glass from one of the windows. I spent the next couple of years with screws in my leg and had reconstructive surgery to rebuild my face. Should have saved the money; years later I was in another accident and caught a truck mirror with my face. Had to do it all over again.

But the worst pain in my life? When my first wife passed away. Nothing else I've been through even touches that.

techmaster-glitch

The tally from that accident alone was two broken ribs, my left shin broken (Wear seatbelts, kids!), a chunk of the dashboard slicing my scalp open in two places, and my face being mangled.

My lower jaw hit the back of one of the front seats and was shoved back hard enough to split it, and the upper half of my face caught some glass from one of the windows. I spent the next couple of years with screws in my leg and had reconstructive surgery to rebuild my face. Should have saved the money; years later I was in another accident and caught a truck mirror with my face. Had to do it all over again.
:boggle :boggle :boggle :boggle :boggle :boggle ...And that has just reinforced my paranoia about leaving my house...
Remember kids! If you stay inside and live out your life as a crotchety old hermit, the odds of some very bad physical trauma happening to you are quite low!

bill

Either when I got a wasp sting on the bottom of my foot, or when a baseball bent my left index finger about 90 degrees back.

Castle Pokemetroid

Yesterday I just accadently stabbed a knife into my leg. I never felt anything, as it was a butterknife, but still, it was the point, the very point.

This is how it happened: I was spining it in the air and catching it (both spining and catching was done with my palm facing down) and then I spun it really hard and slapped my hand down it catch it, but instead it went into my leg sideways then fell to the floor.

It wasn't deep, nor did it hit a nerve or artery or anything like it. My leg just went numb.

It seems like I get into lots of accidents inside the house, more than I would outside for some reason. I once had my dad's 4 or 5 foot tall speaker fall on my leg when looking for something, and I say, that was not fun, as my leg was numb and in pain at the same time for nearly 3 days.   :U

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: superluser on July 15, 2007, 02:56:58 PM
Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 14, 2007, 01:45:31 AMI was donating blood for the first time (I had no idea how big those needles were :erk), and the lady was having trouble finding a suitable artery in either arm.

If they're looking for an artery, never go there again.  ;)  They should be looking for a vein.
That's what I meant. :confused

Kenji

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 13, 2007, 04:08:41 PM
Oh, speaking if burns, I was once trying to get the lid off of a cup of hot chocolate fresh off the stovetop, and I ended up spilling it all over my chest.  That wasn't fun. :<

Replace "chest" with "lap".