DMFA Auction Thread

Started by Amber Williams, June 17, 2007, 01:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indilee

Though you know, Amber would probably make more than that with Abel's Story if she ever sold that - once it was done. ^_^

Although I think it would be fun if she got that printed in book form, but that's just me.

CameronCN

Quote from: Indilee on June 19, 2007, 04:18:58 PM
Although I think it would be fun if she got that printed in book form, but that's just me.
Not just you. There's at least two of us. :)

Netami

It'd be more fun and raise more money, but the lack of effort and bounty of wealthy fans means it's never going to happen.

Indilee

Quote from: CameronCN on June 19, 2007, 04:19:48 PM

Well, we think it'd be awesome. :D

bill

Quote from: Netami on June 19, 2007, 04:15:29 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on June 19, 2007, 04:14:11 PM
I wish I had a cult following.  :cry

Start looking for niche markets! Pander to your fans but always stay out of reach! Maintain an air of excellence!
Isn't that like every webcomic ever?

Tapewolf

Quote from: CameronCN on June 19, 2007, 04:19:48 PM

I think pretty much everyone would like to see that.

Quote from: GreenReaper on June 19, 2007, 04:08:56 PM
Whoever jpmorris is, they're certainly pushing for it. :)

May I suggest you check your PMs for ones signed 'JPM'?   >:3

Should have bid harder on the SAIA arc  :cry

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Indilee

Too bad it's pretty expensive to get published. ;_;

Netami

Quote from: Indilee on June 19, 2007, 04:27:53 PM

Argh... It really isn't! Gone are the days of Cafepress... People don't realize how easy it is to take their digital works to an online publisher and have it done cheaply and professionally in a short amount of time.

stiletto

Netami, you spelled my name wrong! I've used this name on the internet for a long time and no one has ever been able to agree how many L's and T's are in it, so welcome to the club.

And thank you for not depriving me from the awesomeness behind door number 3. Though it did help that the awesome happened to be cheaper then all the others. And it would have been a dollar cheaper if I hadn't accidentally out bid myself. I wonder if the auctions would have gotten any higher had they ended later. I know that I would have missed this if I hadn't happen to have today off of work.

Also, you're right about digital publishing; with places like Lulu, it doesn't really cost you a thing to publish stuff.

GreenReaper

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 19, 2007, 04:27:02 PM
Quote from: GreenReaper on June 19, 2007, 04:08:56 PM
Whoever jpmorris is, they're certainly pushing for it. :)

May I suggest you check your PMs for ones signed 'JPM'?   >:3

Should have bid harder on the SAIA arc  :cry
It was hard enough! ;p

Now, the only auction left that I can see is between myself and a mysterious individual called "Freyman" for chapters 6-8 - but should I go for it? Tricky . . . *bids $1 every 9 minutes to keep the auction live until he makes up his mind*

Indilee

Quote from: Netami on June 19, 2007, 04:31:17 PM

Argh... It really isn't! Gone are the days of Cafepress... People don't realize how easy it is to take their digital works to an online publisher and have it done cheaply and professionally in a short amount of time.

The question is - will they make any profit off of it though? O.O I've heard of Lulu publishing - but I was under the impression that it was like Cafepress. Is it better? I'd still love to see a DMFA book or two... :D

Netami

Quote from: stiletto on June 19, 2007, 04:34:07 PM
Netami, you spelled my name wrong! I've used this name on the internet for a long time and no one has ever been able to agree how many L's and T's are in it, so welcome to the club.

And thank you for not depriving me from the awesomeness behind door number 3. Though it did help that the awesome happened to be cheaper then all the others. And it would have been a dollar cheaper if I hadn't accidentally out bid myself. I wonder if the auctions would have gotten any higher had they ended later. I know that I would have missed this if I hadn't happen to have today off of work.

Also, you're right about digital publishing; with places like Lulu, it doesn't really cost you a thing to publish stuff.

Lulu does an excellent job... I've purchased stuff from Kris over at StarslipCrisis that he's had done there and it's beautiful.

And yes, I spelled your name wrong. I even initially took a letter out, considering your spelling incorrect. Whatever the case, stiletto.

CameronCN

HURRAH!
Chapters 20-21 are now mine for $515!
*Dances*

Y'know, it's funny how you guys seem to think I'm rich or something. Really, the only reason I can afford it is because I still live with my parents so I can  afford to drain my bank account down to the last $35. :)

Quote from: Netami on June 19, 2007, 04:31:17 PM

It really is. The only part where expense comes in is simply the fact that color books will cost the buyer more than B&W ones. Which decreases possible sales, but takes nothing out of Amber's pocket.

Indilee

Quote from: Netami on June 19, 2007, 04:37:09 PM
Quote from: stiletto on June 19, 2007, 04:34:07 PM

Lulu does an excellent job... I've purchased stuff from Kris over at StarslipCrisis that he's had done there and it's beautiful.

And yes, I spelled your name wrong. I even initially took a letter out, considering your spelling incorrect. Whatever the case, stiletto.

*writes this down to consider in the future for her own writing* :D

Netami

Of course, I already pointed this out in the other thread, but by selling the original strips there's little chance that DMFA will ever be published. Amber is also against it. Don't let that stop you from suggesting online publishing to everyone else you know. It's easy and it rocks.

Indilee

Quote from: Netami on June 19, 2007, 04:40:02 PM
Of course, I already pointed this out in the other thread, but by selling the original strips there's little chance that DMFA will ever be published. Amber is also against it. Don't let that stop you from suggesting online publishing to everyone else you know. It's easy and it rocks.

This is true. I think it would be difficult to publish DMFA in terms of it being Amber's own little project - which took a hiatus and was generally funny little things. Granted, it would be awesome to see it in a book - or even Abel's story in a bookform - but as you've said, Amber is against it. :)

Though I'll have to look into online publishing, thanks for the tip!

Amber Williams

Other comics have the advantage that they were...well..more professional in their runs and kept the concept of printing a book in the reserves...so the process is going to be simpler because they have the option of plug-n-chug and are ready for print.  People dont realize I'd have to rescan, edit, colour, and word well over 500 strips to get them to moderate printable quality...unless people are so low-standard and desparate they want a pure B&W version for the first 650 comics.  Which would suuuuuck since half the appeal of DMFA is the colour.

Even if I spend every day colouring one strip, that will still take me 2 years to get that done.

Not to mention several strips I wouldnt go with printing simply due to copyright issues (the poke-arch, any reference of the TMNT doll) And several strips are completly MIA, so I'd either have to remake them completely or leave them out as well.  So yeah...if people want an incomplete, low-quality book...simple as pie.

Its not just about me not having a drive to make one, but for the amount of work I'd be having to put in just to get it on the shelf, I actually dont see a lot of payoff.  Other strips have the advantage like I mentioned, that their stuff is pretty much ready-made for the books so the time/effort is essentially lower thus book options are more valid.

Simply put, the time and effort it would take to make a book to a standard that I would want to sell it is simply more than I have the means to do.  I'm not dumb enough to try to get a 3rd party to fill in the slack...if I was to do this, its something that I should try to do as much on my own.  And there is little promise of financial payoff...but that comes second.   I dont want to print a half-assed quality book and I dont have the means/drive to make the full-quality book that I would be proud of selling.

Indilee

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 19, 2007, 04:45:47 PM
Other comics have the advantage that they were...well..more professional in their runs and kept the concept of printing a book in the reserves...so the process is going to be simpler because they have the option of plug-n-chug and are ready for print.  People dont realize I'd have to rescan, edit, colour, and word well over 500 strips to get them to moderate printable quality...unless people are so low-standard and desparate they want a pure B&W version for the first 650 comics.  Which would suuuuuck since half the appeal of DMFA is the colour.

Even if I spend every day colouring one strip, that will still take me 2 years to get that done.

Not to mention several strips I wouldnt go with printing simply due to copyright issues (the poke-arch, any reference of the TMNT doll) And several strips are completly MIA, so I'd either have to remake them completely or leave them out as well.  So yeah...if people want an incomplete, low-quality book...simple as pie.

Its not just about me not having a drive to make one, but for the amount of work I'd be having to put in just to get it on the shelf, I actually dont see a lot of payoff.  Other strips have the advantage like I mentioned, that their stuff is pretty much ready-made for the books so the time/effort is essentially lower thus book options are more valid.

Simply put, the time and effort it would take to make a book to a standard that I would want to sell it is simply more than I have the means to do.  I'm not dumb enough to try to get a 3rd party to fill in the slack...if I was to do this, its something that I should try to do as much on my own.  And there is little promise of financial payoff...but that comes second.   I dont want to print a half-assed quality book and I dont have the means/drive to make the full-quality book that I would be proud of selling.

And that's totally understandable - the effort to get there wouldn't be worth the end result (well, that and the copyright issues here and there). As an artist, you'd obviously want to put out a very nice quality piece of work - because then it'd be your work - and therefore you could be very proud of selling it.

Netami

So... start.

Are you going to sell every original strip that you've made since now until ten years from now when you sell the next batch?

CameronCN

Netami has a point. We don't need to have all the strips from the beginning in a book--but it would be very nice to have a book with just a few recent story arcs.

Indilee

I mean, I love the Cubi - that's original and interesting - so that'd be awesome to work with too in the long run. ^^

But that's really up to Amber. :)

GreenReaper

Final auction has now closed (for real this time). Just to sum things up:

Chapter 1: $151 by _dave_m_walter (others: Azlan, Aarykitty)
Chapters 2-5: $200 by GreenReaper (others: Azlan, Freyman)
Chapters 6-8: $236 by Freyman (others: GreenReaper, sodapop)
Chapters 9-10: $350 by GreenReaper (others: Azlan, Arcaton)
Chapters 11-12: $250 by GreenReaper (others: Aarykitty, Azlan)
Chapter "awesome" 13: $101.99 by stiletto (others: Azlan, GreenReaper)
Chapters 14-15: $491 by jpmorris (others: GreenReaper, CameronCN)
Chapters 16-17: $450 by GreenReaper (others: CameronCN, Azlan)
Chapters 18-19: $891 by GreenReaper (others: jpmorris, CameronCN)
Chapters 20-21: $515 by CameronCN (others: GreenReaper, Azlan)

Total: $3635.99 :mowcookie

Congratulations to all the winners - and to Amber, who should be able to deck out the Mowmobile with a purple fluffy interior with the proceeds.

Indilee

Yay! That should help cover the evil expenses. :D

Grats to those that won. :)

Amber Williams

Quote from: Netami on June 19, 2007, 04:49:23 PM
Are you going to sell every original strip that you've made since now until ten years from now when you sell the next batch?

I honestly dont see myself doing DMFA ten years from now.  I have other projects I want to do, and as fun as DMFA is for me...I dont intend to make DMFA the only fish in my ocean.

Netrogo

Say Amber, Are you planning to have Abel's Story printed professionally?
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Aridas

I hope all the winners agree to scan in the pages for the losers.

Indilee

Are any of these other projects in the works somewhere or is that to be determined? :)

Netami

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 19, 2007, 05:01:47 PM

I honestly dont see myself doing DMFA ten years from now.  I have other projects I want to do, and as fun as DMFA is for me...I dont intend to make DMFA the only fish in my ocean.

That isn't my point. My point is that from now until next month, next year, five years from now, or whenever you want DMFA to kick the bucket, you're going to have strips. You could either sell them like you did here, or collect them and publish with a little extra work. You think your fans wouldn't want a book of the last X chapters? You're damn wrong. You think people wouldn't have enjoyed uncolored strips? Also wrong. Try prompting the community that keeps you afloat next time, you'll be surprised.

CameronCN

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 19, 2007, 05:01:47 PM

I might be going a bit against the current here, but for me I say:
Good for you!

Zedd

Hmmm..I wonder Tape will have enough still pay for rent in the room