Previous topic - Next topic

Kenji

Quote from: Azlan on June 14, 2007, 10:49:33 PM
Quote from: Kenji on June 14, 2007, 08:11:27 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on June 14, 2007, 06:47:37 PM
Quote from: Caswin on June 14, 2007, 05:50:30 PM
Quote from: superluser on June 13, 2007, 12:39:42 AM
or does it mean that all the laws are voided
Am I the only one who just thought this and had done with it?

What?  You mean you can note the difference between two characters having an inside joke and then a few strips later talking about something unrelated?!  And are able to not try tearing every little nuance apart while overthinking things!?

....are...are you god? :<

No, he hasn't fused with a superintelligent human computer yet.

K, when someone asks you if you're a god... you say YES!

But I wasn't asked. :3

Azlan

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

kaskar

Quote from: Taerkar on June 14, 2007, 11:40:20 AM
Quote from: kaskar on June 14, 2007, 03:48:49 AM
:mowhappy But I wonder which Universe resets ? Fae are Very long lived. Lifespan, ( Unknown ) It could be the normal Universe that resets, and the Fae realm stays intact  in their realm ?  As with the joke about jy disintegrating on entering the fae world. Jyrras and Lorenda are not made of fae universe matter. Is it compatible, or does it act like a matter - antimatter reaction ? Big Bang ? We wait for a zany result ...

Well, I'm pretty sure that the lifespan of a Fae is 8, except it's an 8 that got a little tipsy and fell over and is now laying on its side.  :mowtongue

Also, that's a possibility, but instead of matter-antimatter, it could be sanity-antisanity? Of course, that does beg the question of what a truely insane Fae is like...

:mowmeep I still have trouble in the full definition of " truely insane ... This also covers , quirky, active, and other descriptions. Who has met a really dull, mind dead person that makes insane look like a preferable state of mind  ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Netrogo

Insanity is generally a lack of acknowledgment of consequences.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

RushFox

Quote from: Netrogo on June 15, 2007, 04:24:16 PM
Insanity is generally a lack of acknowledgment of consequences.

Not necessarily. That does describe a type of abnormal psychology, though. In fact, the general disregard for consequences is a great description of a "sociopath", which I believe is what you're getting at here.

Insanity is a rather vague term, and possibly outdated as well, considering that research in the field of Psychology has found that there are many different types of abnormal thought, such as Schizophrenia, Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personalities) and many others. That is probably why it's such a broad term.

Also, I believe Fae are just overly creative, possibly to keep themselves from getting bored, a situation they would probably wish to avoid. Both Mab and Nutmeg attested to this when they were reluctant to divulge information on their race due to it being "boring and longwinded". See, when you live as long as Fae do, how would you pass your time? That obviously explains the in-joking, as these crazy events and laws can only be attributed to a desperate, overly-creative Fae that was BORED.

I believe that is all I have to say for now. Hope that clears up things a little.  ;)

bill

Insanity is thinking that trying to compile your buggy code again will fix bugs.

Come on, you've tried it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 15, 2007, 05:48:19 PM
Insanity is thinking that trying to compile your buggy code again will fix bugs.
Come on, you've tried it.

It does work.  In EVC3 the compiler will become delusional and invent a module called 'Program .obj' which doesn't exist and then bombs at the linker phase when it is finally forced to confront reality.  If you immediately recompile the program it will then work.

Then there's the problem where you've compiled an earlier version of the program to investigate a problem which a customer is experiencing.  When you go back to the new version some of the lumps of object code from the old one are still kicking around and if they are close enough to link, you'll end up with some unholy combination of the two versions which acts in strange and terrible ways...

They say insanity is doing exactly the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.  Unfortunately that is a valid proposition when working with software...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

RushFox

I guess we jumped from literal translations to figures of speech to simple hearsay.

Just because "somebody said this" about something doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Same goes for reading anything non-fiction. It could be part of the truth, but absolute truth is one thing we lack as human beings. That's why scientific theories exist, after all!  ;)

In terms of doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results, reading also defies that description, because you almost always get something different when re-reading any written material. It's the frame of mind you have when reading something that matters.

Now, if you think aliens are going to invade when reading up on Astronomy, that's when a trip to a therapist might be needed.  >:3

Netrogo

I said lack of acknowledgment not disregard. Though I should clarify, specifically I mean INABILITY to acknowledge. Someone who is insane generally has no ability to discern the consequences of things around them. This can be everything from the guy who touches the burner on the stove three times and burns himself each time cuz he's not registering that it's burning him, to the guy who stabs his neighbor then goes down the street stabbing everyone named Steve. The guy who stops eating cuz he thinks the food is going to form an army and take over his brain and winds up starving to death, the guy who thinks clouds are moon men in disguise and rain is really their way of slowly attacking the earth and doesn't go outside ever.

Even those who have disorders can still be considered a form of insanity. Anorexia and all those other eating disorders. People who forgo the sickness and disease that slowly kills them for the sake of 'being pretty'. Every form of insanity involves some form of ignorance of consequence.

RushFox

Quote from: Netrogo on June 15, 2007, 06:30:01 PM
I said lack of acknowledgment not disregard. Though I should clarify, specifically I mean INABILITY to acknowledge. Someone who is insane generally has no ability to discern the consequences of things around them. This can be everything from the guy who touches the burner on the stove three times and burns himself each time cuz he's not registering that it's burning him, to the guy who stabs his neighbor then goes down the street stabbing everyone named Steve. The guy who stops eating cuz he thinks the food is going to form an army and take over his brain and winds up starving to death, the guy who thinks clouds are moon men in disguise and rain is really their way of slowly attacking the earth and doesn't go outside ever.

Even those who have disorders can still be considered a form of insanity. Anorexia and all those other eating disorders. People who forgo the sickness and disease that slowly kills them for the sake of 'being pretty'. Every form of insanity involves some form of ignorance of consequence.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Sorry if I ranted a little, as I'm going for a Psych major in college currently.

Actually, sociopaths technically have an inability to acknowledge consequences, as they generally unable to take consequences into consideration when killing a person or when committing other crimes. I can't explain exactly why this is, since my memory is a bit fussy, especially when I haven't read up on something in awhile. I do remember this, though, which is why I piped up.

I found that schizophrenia, for the most part, usually follows the general term of insanity, as the person, depending on the type of schizophrenia, will lose their ability to think and perceive normally, leads to situations like the food army and the moon men/clouds bit.

I still stand by my comments about the Fae though.  ;)

kaskar

Quote from: Netrogo on June 15, 2007, 06:30:01 PM

:mowmeep What about those with glazed eyes that sit in front of their computers doing forums ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Netrogo

Quote from: kaskar on June 16, 2007, 04:53:20 AM
  :mowmeep What about those with glazed eyes that sit in front of their computers doing forums ...

They don't acknowledge the consequence that they wind up like you.

Zing!

Ted Schiller

Quote from: RushFox on June 15, 2007, 05:46:57 PM
(snip Netrogo link)

(snip)

Also, I believe Fae are just overly creative, possibly to keep themselves from getting bored, a situation they would probably wish to avoid. Both Mab and Nutmeg attested to this when they were reluctant to divulge information on their race due to it being "boring and longwinded". See, when you live as long as Fae do, how would you pass your time? That obviously explains the in-joking, as these crazy events and laws can only be attributed to a desperate, overly-creative Fae that was BORED.

(snip)

A bored Queen Mab in charge of a bored Fae Kingdom.  That can only mean one thing: WILD HUG!   :U

With regards,
Ted