Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC) [PG/14] - Open - New players welcome!

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 07, 2007, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Some of Asimov's later stories involved things like:
- decisions were made to make robots in such a way as to remove the need for the three laws - eg, if the robot never saw a human, it wouldn't need to protect them. If it was cheap, it wouldn't need to protect itself. If it self-repaired, same thing. If it never got given orders, why would it need to obey them? And on and on...
- fiddling with some of the rules to see how far they could be bent
- messing with others to see what happened if they got taken to their logical conclusion (eg, "Runaround" (IIRC), which involves an extremely expensive robot (thereby leaning on #3) and an off-hand order (thereby slacking off on #2) to the point of confusion...)

Removing the 3 Laws, and working on other patterns entirely - eg, persuading the robot to believe in ethical treatment, for example, by treating it politely, in the same way that you'd (optimally) treat a human child - bears some interesting thoughts all of it's own.

But don't let me tell you what to do - I'm merely providing some data, in the hopes that it will trigger some neat ideas for someone. :-] And yes, morality plays are often more interesting...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

"Thank you, Omega. Try to find a wireless link here, do an anonymous hacking session."
Ok, what are you trying to do this time, Caff? :rolleyes

Catffeinated

When Gerald gets bored or stressed, he either starts coding a new AI, or hacks random computer systems (just for the challenge mind you)...

techmaster-glitch

In this case, who's random computer system?

Catffeinated

Hmm... usualy the goverment... Large industries. He uses a program to randomize the destination IP address (Yes, there IS a program to do that), so it could just be someone's personal router... but all the fun stuff would require some insight from Ryudo, so I'll leave it up to him.

Ryudo Lee

The closest thing in range of you right now is all this rebellion equipment, and in town, the Brotherhood tower.  Of course, if you try and hack the Brotherhood tower... well, you know what?  Go ahead.  Try and hack the brotherhood tower.  >:3

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

techmaster-glitch

Oh, this is going to be interesting. >:3 >:3 >:3 Seriously, caff, do it! No,no, seriously! It's not like Ryudo is going to kill off the party from this.

Catffeinated

Oh, also, Gerald's computer IP address is scrambled, so it is hard for people to get it.
Still...
Ummm... ok, guys... I think I just spelled our doom here... if Ryudo's thinking what I think he's thinking...
D:

Arcalane

And this, kids, is why you do not do stupid shit when you are bored. :rolleyes

Oh, and as if it needed stating again, Exo can't be hacked. Unless you plugged it into the laptop or something. :B

There's time to undo this, assuming you can complete an edit before someone else posts.

*adjusts halo*

Catffeinated

1. I know...
2. No! I agree with Tech, this is gonna get intresting  :eager

techmaster-glitch

Tape, the hack on the Brotherhood hasn't actually begun yet. It will start when either Ryudo or Caff actually says that Omega has found herself in the Tower. Right now Omega's just floating around, looking for something to hack. And aside form the ones who have her creator 'captive', the only ones to hack that she will find will be the Brotherhood. That's hasn't happened yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 13, 2007, 04:21:21 PM
Tape, the hack on the Brotherhood hasn't actually begun yet. It will start when either Ryudo or Caff actually says that Omega has found herself in the Tower. Right now Omega's just floating around, looking for something to hack. And aside form the ones who have her creator 'captive', the only ones to hack that she will find will be the Brotherhood. That's hasn't happened yet.

Look at it from Dorcan's point of view.  He's just heard Gerald instructing his laptop to hack the first thing it finds, which, if it's a typical wireless link is going to be Rebellion equipment - the Brotherhood stuff being far out of range.
However, the Brotherhood may or may not have the capability to detect the transmitter inside the laptop and home in on it.  Don't forget, Dorcan's only just got over the idea that this guy has a tracer, and now he's doing something which looks distinctly iffy so Dorcan has naturally assumed he's a traitor.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

Oh, ok.

Oh and BTW,
...on the other, Jexx' idea of stopping him would probably involve making a large hole through his head...
:lol :lol :lol Thanks for that. It made my day.
Although I imagine there would be much less than a headless body left after Jexx gets through with him...

Ryudo Lee

Omega could find the various wireless systems in the vans.

*Hint hint*Don'thacktheBrotherhoodbadideabadidea*Hint hint*

techmaster-glitch

But the moment Jexx realized their new 'captive' is trying to hack them, Jexx'll probably perform an execution right then and there. :B

Catffeinated

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 13, 2007, 04:27:36 PM
if it's a typical wireless link is going to be Rebellion equipment - the Brotherhood stuff being far out of range.

The laptop Gerald uses can bounce the signal, using the vans to increase its range.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Catffeinated on July 13, 2007, 04:40:01 PM
The laptop Gerald uses can bounce the signal, using the vans to increase its range.
And most likely making them a lot easier for the Brotherhood to detect.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 13, 2007, 04:34:19 PM
But the moment Jexx realized their new 'captive' is trying to hack them, Jexx'll probably perform an execution right then and there. :B
Quite.  Dorcan actually killed the mayor by crushing his skull, and is not eager to see that sort of mess again in a hurry.

Now, Cat, you've touched quite an interesting point there.  Dorcan's skin and fur is mostly polymer so he's not actually going to know that he's been zapped.

Catffeinated

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 13, 2007, 04:45:05 PM
Quote from: Catffeinated on July 13, 2007, 04:40:01 PM

No actualy, they have them in real life, it makes the 'trail' the signal takes much longer, extending the amount of time it takes to trace.

Arcalane

Except then, you numpty, the Brotherhood can track back and find the damn vans.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Arcalane on July 13, 2007, 05:06:44 PM
Except then, you numpty, the Brotherhood can track back and find the damn vans.
Indeed.  Bear in mind the distance.  A standard WiFi link has a range in metres, and it's liable to be the same in this place too, since you don't need anything more than that in a simple laptop.
Since the Brotherhood tower is presumably kilometres away, the only way he's going to be able to piggyback the vans to reach it is by using them as a signal amplifier.  And since it is by its very nature a two-way link, the Brotherhood will be able to detect it and quite possibly its location as well.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Catffeinated on July 13, 2007, 04:58:07 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 13, 2007, 04:45:05 PM

No actualy, they have them in real life, it makes the 'trail' the signal takes much longer, extending the amount of time it takes to trace.

Actually, they don't.

What they have in "real life" is a series of hacks. You're not using equipment to increase the signal, you're hacking into someone else's kit to use it to hack into a third party, and then into a fourth party, and so on. The idea being, if you get traced from your final destination, they're going to find the middleman. Unless they break into each link on the way, you're protected - assuming you notice them noticing you, and counter-hacking you.

In this case, you're looking to use your friends to go beat up on the cops, effectively. Not smart.

Said friends are being downright -understanding- in not shutting down your link immediately, the hard way.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

Particularly Jexx. He's been nice enough to not reduce Gerald to a pile of burning goo. Enough hits from his cannons will to that to organic material.

And before this started Jexx was just barely, in the near future, willing to try to accept Gerald if he really would help them, and was on their side. Now he's had his slightly paranoid/mildly phsychotic personality reinforced. By quite a bit. He's not going to be getting of of Gerald's back anytime soon now...

Ryudo Lee

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this time more directed at Catf.  You need to work WITH the party, not against it.  I will not hesitate to get your character killed if you continue to do stuff counteractive to what the rest of the party is doing.  They obviously have a base of operations set up and do not want their presence known by the Brotherhood.  You do not want to start a hacking attempt that could possibly (and probably would) broadcast to the Brotherhood tower "HAY GUYS LOOK OVER HERE I'M DOIN SOMETHING CRAAAAAZY! KTHXBYE!!!!!111Shift+1" and then bring down hell upon you.  Remember that you are the stranger here, and since you've got a bunch of armed people standing around you and telling you to shut off the damned laptop.  Anyone with a lick of common sense would DO WHAT THEY SAY.  Get the hint?

Arcalane

Yeah. Refusal to shutdown the laptop would have resulted in impromptu clay pigeon shooting, where the clay pigeons are replaced with the laptop, and the shooter is Exo and his rocket-propelled explosive-round handgun.

So yeah. Listen to the nice warbot with the big gun. And don't make him have to use that sword. :B

Catffeinated

:boggle ok...ok... sheesh, I didn't see it as counteractive, but still, sorry....

Also, When did Gerald do this?
Quoteyou then broke into our equipment

Tapewolf

I don't know what Dorcan's standing in the group is, nor does he.  Nonetheless, someone needed to give Gerald some 'friendly advice'.  The others can interpret this as Dorcan pleading for them not to kill Gerald this time.

techmaster-glitch

Dorcan has just explained it, very plainly, to Gerald, caff. That should make things very clear for your position.

Oh, and Tape
Now I know how Johan Cross felt.
I must say, masterful touch there. For some reason, it's the little things like that in literature that I love.

EDIT:
you then broke into our equipment
When yo used our vans to bounce your signal.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Catffeinated on July 13, 2007, 05:39:48 PM
Quoteyou then broke into our equipment
The van isn't going to be an open relay, unless this world has a sort of 1990 level of information security.  The only way he's going to be able to use the van's transmitter without Rebellion equipment is by hacking his way through the security, i.e. breaking into it.

Don't take Dorcan's speech as a personal insult by the way - it's just me adapting to the situation.  While Ryudo does seems to be a bit narked, IMHO the situation adds a touch of drama.  You might want to think things through a bit more in future, though  :B

techmaster-glitch

Gerald and Jexx are going to be taking a loooong walk together... :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

Arcalane

Hey, I have first dibs on making him into chunky kibble, ala Deus Ex. :B