2007-05-12: How Cubi cure boredom. (Abel's Story #87)

Started by Meech, May 12, 2007, 01:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambon

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 12, 2007, 01:44:42 PM
Quote from: superluser on May 12, 2007, 07:13:27 AM
Would you play a game that occupied all of your time (or at least, the majority) and dragged on for three months?

For the Hoarde! :U

O.o is that warcraft 3 or WoW?

*edit* nvm... :reading

multani82

about the puking thing maybe I can clarify why he isn't puking while seeing his mother's blood
When someone goes through a HEAVY emotional rollercoaster like Abel has this day, phobias tend to retreat in the back of the person's mind. Keep to the fact that he has just found out his father is not who he thought he was so he's filled with confusion and anger from his mother being hit. Usually anger tends to override phobias as well as rage. Rage, as we've seen in examples of history, tend to override fear and pain in a individual consumed by it. Abel right now, seems to be seething with a quite anger as he holds his mom close to him in a protective way.

SkipSanders

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 12, 2007, 03:57:44 AM
Quote from: ??? (Hellcat) on May 12, 2007, 01:23:48 AM
Also I'm unsure why Abel hasn't barfed yet because of his mother's bloody nose

Yeah, I brought that up in the last thread, too. And like I said before...

PLOT HOLE, AMBER! :raspberry

We don't yet know when or how Abel aquired that response.  It's quite possibly still in the 'future', though I suspect the very, very near future, now.

I mean, the total, sickened to nausea by sight of blood effect.  Most everyone is affected by such things, and Abel is, too, but I think the true phobia is yet to be 'set' in him.

Now, if Our Current Villain should finish this little chat by ripping May to bloody, gory, gallons-splattered-around bits, you might just suspect why the sight of blood might then have its 'current day' effect on Abel, from memory, Eh?

Goatmon

He certainly seemed to react at the sight of blood when they found all those corpses at the regal post. 

Alondro

Quote from: Zina on May 12, 2007, 04:12:49 AM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 12, 2007, 03:57:44 AM
Quote from: ??? (Hellcat) on May 12, 2007, 01:23:48 AM
Also I'm unsure why Abel hasn't barfed yet because of his mother's bloody nose

Yeah, I brought that up in the last thread, too. And like I said before...

PLOT HOLE, AMBER! :raspberry

His other emotions are probably just over-riding his phobia.
A lot of stuff is happening and his mind is probably a huge mess. Chances are he probably hasn't even registered that her nose is bloody, just she's hurt.

*Charles nods*  Very true.  Now, he'll likely start vomiting after Aniz tears his mother's heart out with his wing tentacles, then makes Abel watch as he eats it while it's still beating. 

*Charline smiles proudly*  My evil training has worked perfectly!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Fuyudenki

:deadhorse
Quote from: SkipSanders on May 12, 2007, 07:11:56 PM
We don't yet know when or how Abel aquired that response.  It's quite possibly still in the 'future', though I suspect the very, very near future, now.

:deadhorse we've been over this already.  Devin said he's had the problem since they were young kids, and Devin hadn't seen Abel since he was about 5 at the time.(which was when the Rewanz family moved to Zinvth) :deadhorse

rabid_fox

And what Devin says is law, dammit.

...I miss Devin.

Oh dear.

thegayhare

No what Amber says is Law.  She has specificly stated that there was no tramatic event that pracipitated Abels Hemophobia.  It's something he's always had.

I'll try to find it

MaskedRetriever

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 12, 2007, 08:18:28 PM

...I miss Devin.

DEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

:crying

Psychogirl

Quote from: MaskedRetriever on May 12, 2007, 09:54:47 PM
Quote from: rabid_fox on May 12, 2007, 08:18:28 PM

...I miss Devin.

DEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

:crying

Yeah, I miss Devin too.
But, he's dead. So we might as well move along.
I would suggest making a new forum post for those who wish to comemerate to his memory so this post won't get flooded with the wrong info (this post is supposed to be about Abel's story so far, not about commemeration to the dead).

Rafe

Well, at least Devin had a great death-scene.  Seriously, that was one of the most gut-wrenching things I've seen in any comic in my entire life.  (And when you read Jack, that's saying a lot.)
Rafe

Zedd

Perfect exsample how and what you said right there Rafe..pertty much thats the least of the moments we will see there

Goatmon

Quote from: Rafe on May 13, 2007, 02:25:30 AM
Well, at least Devin had a great death-scene.  Seriously, that was one of the most gut-wrenching things I've seen in any comic in my entire life.  (And when you read Jack, that's saying a lot.)

Seriously.  I haven't been that moved by a death in a comic since Trixi & Tet (Arc 3 of Jack), though Devin's scene didn't quite bring me to tears. 

Aurawyn

Quote from: thegayhare on May 12, 2007, 08:55:49 PM
No what Amber says is Law.  She has specificly stated that there was no tramatic event that pracipitated Abels Hemophobia.  It's something he's always had.

I'll try to find it

I was under the impression that when it came to phobias there had to be an "Event" that triggered the more severe reactions.. I mean.. one is not just born with an ingrained fear of something, something usually has to happen to cause that fear or reaction...

But.. I could be wrong...  :B

Reaver225

Either way, Abel had this before he got back to the house. Even if it was caused by a traumatic event, say, when he was a kid, he's already shown his aversion to blood before Aniz whacked May.

kaskar

What does Abel face the menace that has just entered his life. Just after retreating from a bloodstained battle, and with the aura of his protector Devin's death still lingering. What does he do now, After Aniz has just bashed May's nose in ? Probably nothing special in revenge, except, maybe really burst out in vomit all over Aniz. Ick ! Attack Aniz !
8) Just Hanging Around ...

rabid_fox

I am so dreadfully concerned for May right now. Hennya....well, I don't really care about Hennya.

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: kaskar on May 13, 2007, 07:54:17 AM
Attack Aniz !

Special attack: Sneak Vomit Attack. Does 2xd6 damage, where x is the number of recent meals the caster has had.

*cough* sorry.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: Aurawyn on May 13, 2007, 05:37:16 AMI was under the impression that when it came to phobias there had to be an "Event" that triggered the more severe reactions..

In real-life hemophobia, I am given to understand that you typically have one event, usually in early childhood, where you have the sight of blood, and simultaneously, you have stimulation of the vagus nerve, resulting in vasovagal syncope (AKA fainting).

So, for example, let's say you're a kid in daycare, and you've been refusing to drink your juice.  When people don't look, you throw it out, and no one is the wiser.  Because of this, you get dehydrated, and when you stand up one day, the dramatic change in blood pressure activates the vagus nerve.  You fall and hit something sharp (it's not a well-managed daycare).  You feel the pain and see yourself bleeding as you faint.

The brain now makes the connection that blood means fainting.  Now, every time you see blood, the brain decides that it must activate the vagus nerve and cause you to faint.  It's similar to Pavlov's dog and the bell, but this only requires one event for conditioning.

Imagine the build-up to Abel revealing the traumatic event that caused him to have this severe fear of blood.  In Comic X, Panel 3, Abel says, ``You want to know why I have this fear of blood?  Fine, I'll tell you...''  Then in Comic X+1, Panel 1, Abel says, ``I got dehydrated once as a little kid, and fainted.  On the way down, I cut myself and started bleeding.  Now I'm afraid of blood.''  What a letdown!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Nino

Quote from: superluser on May 13, 2007, 12:44:54 PM
Quote from: Aurawyn on May 13, 2007, 05:37:16 AMI was under the impression that when it came to phobias there had to be an "Event" that triggered the more severe reactions..

In real-life hemophobia, I am given to understand that you typically have one event, usually in early childhood, where you have the sight of blood, and simultaneously, you have stimulation of the vagus nerve, resulting in vasovagal syncope (AKA fainting).

So, for example, let's say you're a kid in daycare, and you've been refusing to drink your juice.  When people don't look, you throw it out, and no one is the wiser.  Because of this, you get dehydrated, and when you stand up one day, the dramatic change in blood pressure activates the vagus nerve.  You fall and hit something sharp (it's not a well-managed daycare).  You feel the pain and see yourself bleeding as you faint.

The brain now makes the connection that blood means fainting.  Now, every time you see blood, the brain decides that it must activate the vagus nerve and cause you to faint.  It's similar to Pavlov's dog and the bell, but this only requires one event for conditioning.

Imagine the build-up to Abel revealing the traumatic event that caused him to have this severe fear of blood.  In Comic X, Panel 3, Abel says, ``You want to know why I have this fear of blood?  Fine, I'll tell you...''  Then in Comic X+1, Panel 1, Abel says, ``I got dehydrated once as a little kid, and fainted.  On the way down, I cut myself and started bleeding.  Now I'm afraid of blood.''  What a letdown!

Yeah, one of my neighbor's sons actually faints at the sight of blood. His parents say that there was no trigger either, so what you're describing probably is the case.

I like how Amber didn't make some huge explaination as to Abel's hemophobia, and that it doesn't really serve a plot purpose. It makes him seem more real.

Kragoth

Yay, second post!

I agree with the notion that the hemophobia isn't something that can be rationalized. While Abel could very well faint when he sees blood, the fact that there's a bigger threat at the moment than the blood itself (which May covered up fairly quickly) may cause his brain to 'override' the 'blood equals fainting'-reaction. Phobias aren't rational at all and there are situations known when people overcame their phobia for something to rescue someone they loved.

candide

Quote from: Caswin on May 12, 2007, 02:06:46 PMHeh...

Y'know, all the talking and laughing that goes on about the joys and sometimes even morality of 'cubi shape-shifting, seducing and torturing people... just doesn't feel the same when you see it happening to a character you've actually grown to care about, does it?  :bat
Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!

My Thoughts Exactly

{Though I've been doing a lousy job articulating my thoughts ...  :mowsmile}

Aleolus

Well, d*mn.  That nixes my theory on him coming to genuinely care for May and Abel.  Though he does seem to want Abel, if nothing else.  (And no, I don't mean "want" THAT way!)