[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: pyrohamster on February 06, 2008, 08:08:22 PM
why are there two bigs talking in poofyspikes recording? Am i taking acids again? :erk :mowdizzy

Probably I enabled both tracks by mistake.  I swear I checked it... I'll have to do another one then, but not tonight

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Miaka

Aack, I put off everything.

I'll get on the Wildy lines as soon as I've got the house to myself again. Probably won't be until tomorrow, but I'll get on it then.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Miaka on February 06, 2008, 08:16:08 PM
I'll get on the Wildy lines as soon as I've got the house to myself again. Probably won't be until tomorrow, but I'll get on it then.

Thanks!

Poofyspikes

Hearing Frag and myself talk at the same time is amusingly weird, given that our timing fails to match up.

Also, whoever's doing Destania sounds like she's recording in a room with solid steel walls - a small bit of echo, and it sounds... tinny, I guess.

Fragmaster01

Wow, that was quite trippy. And thus Biggs proves he is in fact, two people at once.

Tapewolf

Okay, I've fixed Poofy's recording.  The timing is a little off because I matched it up with Frag's rendition rather than having two completely separate versions.  At this stage I'm more interested in who has the better voice for the role.

Miaka

Agh. On second thought, I realise only now that i have the time, that the microphone has once again gone missing.

Once again, I'm really sorry. If you feel like you have to replace me at this point, just let me know, alright? ^^;;

Tapewolf

Quote from: Miaka on February 07, 2008, 05:59:26 PM
Once again, I'm really sorry. If you feel like you have to replace me at this point, just let me know, alright? ^^;;

Well, we might end up with llearch or someone subbing for you as a placeholder, but I'd prefer to keep you as Wildy.  After all, you kicked the project off in the first place  :3

Brunhidden

ah, i just now am rid of the people who were staying at the house devouring my time and can now finish the last bits of abel..... now if i could only remember which lines i still needed to do....

QuoteAnd then there were none
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 07, 2008, 06:10:15 PM
Well, we might end up with llearch or someone subbing for you as a placeholder

... this is your cue to go "oh emm gee, I'll get right on to it, the horror, the horror!" ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 07, 2008, 06:55:36 PM
... this is your cue to go "oh emm gee, I'll get right on to it, the horror, the horror!" ;-]

Actually, we probably will need Wildy for the next segment.  I'm not fussed about who does it though.

Anyway.  Right.  For Abel, I wasn't too happy with the sound quality for 705-708, it was too loud and went into distortion.  The delivery was pretty good though, with the following exceptions:

705: "He likely thinks this is all sports and thrills"
705: "I guess I just keep busy and wait?"

...these sounded a little rushed and unclear.

Also, in 707, could we have the entire quote?
"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration..."

Now, I really really liked the delivery in 706 pane one.  The way he just stops with "Why would they-" is perfect.  Do you think you can do it again?

For future recordings, I'm not sure if we have the set from after the main Inn recordings.  We will at some point need:  731-735, 739-742 and 751-755

Mystiqe

I'll get to doing the lines this weekend, for i has a long one, but i have a question

does anyone know how to scan  lines in photoshop  so their nice and smooth? like the way mab does is nice XD my linearts suck

and also, tips for comic making, imma try and start up my comic, NightPhase

and some stuff on cellshading so everything m,atches would be helpful too!

sorry for pestering ya, guys XD

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on February 07, 2008, 07:31:27 PM
does anyone know how to scan  lines in photoshop  so their nice and smooth? like the way mab does is nice XD my linearts suck

llearch, do you think this is worth moving to the Tower of Art's library?

I think the secret where Amber, and indeed most webcomics are concerned, is to work at a much larger scale and reduce it for the published version.  I've you ever seen the raw version of Fa'Lina meeting Pyroduck, the lines were all ragged.  Aside from that, having better dexterity with a pen than I have would be useful  >:3

Fragmaster01

Tapewolf's got it right, if you want really smooth, you go bigger. I generally try a different approach, that of scanning in my drawings at 600DPI and doing the lines in photoshop. Then when the picture's done, resize it down to something smaller.

Tapewolf

Tezkat

Quote from: Mystiqe on February 07, 2008, 07:31:27 PM

Well... obviously that's somewhat dependent on the quality of the lineart going in. You need to fiddle with the levels/contrast a bit to get nice crisp lines out of a scan. My inking kinda sucks, so I often redo the lines digitally. On the other hand, smooth isn't always desirable. Sometimes I try deliberately letting the pens scratch a bit to make the edges look furrier.

It's usually a bad idea to enable anti-aliasing when you colour, as that can gunk up the lines.

One trick I learned form Amber is to duplicate the image layer, gaussian blur it, and then combine it back into the original by playing with the opacity. That adds a nice softness and smooths out the lines before you reduce to publishing size. Be careful not to overdo it, though. For instance, the image I submitted for my Secret Santa looks slightly out of focus because, in my hurry to finish on time, I skipped a few steps and didn't compensate for the lower DPI I was using on my laptop. :animesweat

and some stuff on cellshading so everything m,atches would be helpful too!

What do you mean by "everything matches"?

Instead of shading each colour individually, I usually have multiple shadow layers for the whole picture that I fill in pure black at various opacity settings. That's a lot quicker and creates consistent shadow levels across the image. It's also much easier to fix mistakes. Sometimes I shade the hair seperately, though.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Brunhidden

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 07, 2008, 07:14:05 PM

For future recordings, I'm not sure if we have the set from after the main Inn recordings.  We will at some point need:  731-735, 739-742 and 751-755

i was certain i had recorded ant sent at least most of those, are you sure i did not email them to you? if not i can mail them again.... in fact i remember physically hurting myself going 'dur-hur-hur' on 731 due to having a breathing problem at the time, a few of the takes caught me horking up a lung just before i ended the recording even.... so if you don't have them i should have a copy of most of those.

ill get to work on redoing the earlier ones you mentioned, and in 707 i ended because the text had ended, i had no idea there was more

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 09, 2008, 04:17:39 PM
i was certain i had recorded ant sent at least most of those, are you sure i did not email them to you? if not i can mail them again.... in fact i remember physically hurting myself going 'dur-hur-hur' on 731 due to having a breathing problem at the time, a few of the takes caught me horking up a lung just before i ended the recording even.... so if you don't have them i should have a copy of most of those.

If you've done them, I've probably got them, but as when I wrote that list, I'm not currently in a position to check.  (Windows can't read XFS where the files are kept, but Linux can't run Cakewalk properly yet...)
Next time I can I'll make sure I have them.  It might be handy if you could use the actual strip number in the filename, by the way.

While I'm probably not going to make SAIA in time, I will want that arc as well.  So, if you're ever at a loose end, there's all of that from 505-609 to do  :3

KarlOmega1

I have a question...when will the site be organized? I'm getting a little confused when looking at it.

Edit: I meant the radio project site..not the comic site. just saying this so no one will get confused.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Tapewolf

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on February 09, 2008, 07:31:38 PM
I have a question...when will the site be organized? I'm getting a little confused when looking at it.

When someone else comes up plan for doing it.  If you've got one, let me know.

Tezkat

Woot! I finally found the time to sort through my Christmas recordings. :kittycool

Biggs 724-726
Biggs 736-738
Jyrras 663-666
Jyrras 720-723
Jyrras 743-750
Jyrras 745

That last one is just me trying to sob in character for a minute or so. I skipped strip 745 in the dialogue clip. It's kinda difficult to translate into pure audio.

No more cute outtakes this time, sorry. I already posted the funny backward 666 one that was part of the set. :animesweat

It sounds like I was miking a bit closer than usual when I recorded these. The proximity effect is fairly prominent, especially in the Jyrras clips. I suppose that could be EQed out if it messes up the consistency.

So... what should I push to the front of the queue next?

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Just a short one today, as I've run out of material for several key characters, i.e. Dan, Alexsi and Destania.  I've sent emails about the latter two - hopefully Hilary is still up for it, otherwise we'll have to find a new Destania  :<

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/church_p7.wav.mp3

While Karl could have phrased his question less brusquely (e.g. "Have you thought of" rather than "When will you"), he is ultimately correct.  The site hasn't really changed since its creation and doesn't scale very well.  The project is big enough now that splitting it into pages would probably be a good idea.  However, if anyone has suggestions on improving it, they would be very welcome.

Tezkat, at the moment I'm concentrating on the Church arc.  But, if you want to get going on 'Queen Mab', that would be handy.  In particular, I don't think we have a version of 805 apart from mine.

Teekay Aria

Well, I got everything sent to you Tapewolf.  As far as new requests, someone stole my credit card information and spent a lot more money than I had in India.   :<  It might take me some time to clean up.  This is just not my freaking year, I swear.  If one more stupid thing happens I'm going postal.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Teekay Aria on February 14, 2008, 06:52:42 PM
Well, I got everything sent to you Tapewolf.  As far as new requests, someone stole my credit card information and spent a lot more money than I had in India.   :<  It might take me some time to clean up.  This is just not my freaking year, I swear.  If one more stupid thing happens I'm going postal.

Ugh.  Good luck sorting that out!  And thanks for the recordings, I'll check them now.

Teekay Aria

I was also reading back through the thread and saw a part where you wanted me to scream?  I couldn't open the link to tell which lines, but if you want to get them to me, I'll try to get them back out to you this weekend.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Teekay Aria on February 14, 2008, 07:16:35 PM
I was also reading back through the thread and saw a part where you wanted me to scream?  I couldn't open the link to tell which lines, but if you want to get them to me, I'll try to get them back out to you this weekend.

Oh yeah, I renamed the files and forgot to fix the hyperlinks.  Done now.  The strip I was thinking of was 715 where Biggs refers to her as a 'Blonde bimbo'.  In the recording she sounds slightly miffed - ideally she should go completely postal.

I've just run through the new set, and they're very well-played.  It does suffer from some popping, but I've recently discovered a way to reduce it, so hopefully it should come out OK.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Teekay Aria on February 14, 2008, 06:52:42 PM
If one more stupid thing happens I'm going postal.

Can I hold the victim down for you, or would you rather chase him so he's tired for the occasion?  Hope that gets sorted out, anyway.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 14, 2008, 07:25:38 PM
In the recording she sounds slightly miffed - ideally she should go completely postal.

How convenient?

Brunhidden

Heh, my wife just started reading and is around comic #150.

get a good sales pitch, she may do well for a female part or two

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 15, 2008, 02:08:41 AM
get a good sales pitch, she may do well for a female part or two
We need a new Destania, I think.  I don't really know of a good sales pitch (I can think of a few bad ones)

Anyway, here's part 8 of the Church arc.  This is Jyrras and Danielle (without Dan's thoughts, as yet)
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/church_p8.wav.mp3

Fuyudenki