jokes on you ninja fans!

Started by lucas marcone, April 22, 2007, 09:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucas marcone

on wensday night on discovery channel myth busters is doing an episode with wich to bust all their skills such as walking on water

RJ

But ninja are magical- they defy logic.

lucas marcone

there's nothing magical about men in pajamas

Aridas

Why do you say they're going to bust them? You haven't seen them do anything yet so you can't tell us they busted any myths before you've even seen them get to work >.>

thegayhare

Quote from: lucas marcone on April 22, 2007, 09:26:03 AM
there's nothing magical about men in pajamas

That depends on the man... and what you classify as pajamas
*sighs*

King Of Hearts

Snata Claus wants to have a word with you.

The heavily romanticized Ninja in modern media [especially the 80s onwards] are pretty much myths in themselves.

Kasarn

Ninjas can walk on water.
Jesus walked on water.
Therefore, Jesus was a ninja.

True story :)

King Of Hearts

But Jesus came before the ninjas... therefore ninjas are Jesus!

bill

That's some rather specious logic.  :B

lucas marcone

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 22, 2007, 09:32:20 AM
Why do you say they're going to bust them? You haven't seen them do anything yet so you can't tell us they busted any myths before you've even seen them get to work >.>

actually i saw a clip of adam with big cardbord "shoes" sinking in a pool of water.

and the show is called myth BUSTERS innit? that's what the fand call them attempting the myths ie if they are attempting to see wether or not you can eat a sandwich the fans say they are busting the myth wether or not they bust it or not. understand?

xHaZxMaTx

Even if they 'bust' these ninja myths, they will still be true, because the ninjas will make them true. :U

superluser

Quote from: lucas marcone on April 22, 2007, 10:27:58 AMactually i saw a clip of adam with big cardbord "shoes" sinking in a pool of water.

They've only been around for a few hours, and llearch's Big Black Boots are already getting cameos on Mythbusters!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Reese Tora

Quote from: lucas marcone on April 22, 2007, 10:27:58 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 22, 2007, 09:32:20 AM

actually i saw a clip of adam with big cardbord "shoes" sinking in a pool of water.

and the show is called myth BUSTERS innit? that's what the fand call them attempting the myths ie if they are attempting to see wether or not you can eat a sandwich the fans say they are busting the myth wether or not they bust it or not. understand?

Anything I ever saw about ninjas walking on water involved using honed skill to take advantage of surface tension, or using magic.  I don't think there's any way that they can successfully declate this myth to be anything other than busted.

(now, ninja standard equipment did include a scabbard that could be doubled as a snorkel.)

I hope they bring in some of the martial artists that do thier own stunts(without wires) in the movies.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Kenji

Well, I guess this'll go along with that pirate one.

Aridas

Um... I'm not sure that ninjas had cardboard...

Lushin

Ok you people really wanna know how Ninjas "walk on water"? It actually came about cause some Westerners saw people training in Ninjutsu. they have a training method to increase their foot speed. What it actually is there are small somewhat thin wooden planks either on the surface or just below it. The training would be to run across the pieces or wood without falling in the water. That's the main "walking one water" myth explained. Anything else people want to know about?
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Saist

actually I am reminded of the ... "security" demonstration given by the Japanese before the 1964 Summer Olympics.

The Japanese government arranged for members of their security force to jump off a tall building, rappel upside down to the ground, while firing off sub-machine guns (Uzi's I believe), at targets hung on a building across the street.

That event may have jump started the ... opinion... of what Ninja's were supposed to do.

However, in historical terms, the "ninja" clans were typically known as thieves and criminals. Ninja's were not known to act, or fight, with honor. Rather, the type of person that comes into mind when we think of say, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, would be a Samurai. 

The... best, or rather... most accurate... representation... of Ninja's in a major Hollywood film, I think would be Batman Begins. The ninja types were portrayed as people that simple made the best use of their surroundings to hide, active and passive camouflage, as well as relying on simple ... "tricks"... to disguise their movements.

Aridas

I think ninjas did assassinations as well, no?

Valynth

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 22, 2007, 05:55:31 PM

Yes, but so did pirates and the mafia.  If anything, eastern ninjas were considered about the same as western pirates.  After all, most of a ninja's arsenal of weapons were simply farm tools that had enough of  point/edge/substance to be used in combat(kunai, scythes, wooden poles).  The only exceptions to this are the throwing stars made by blacksmiths and swords stolen from an unfortunate samuri or made by the same smith.

It's mostly due to their poor equipment that ninjas almost certainly had to use ambush tactics to get anything.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Hnix

Quote from: Daimien on April 22, 2007, 05:39:25 PM
Ok you people really wanna know how Ninjas "walk on water"? It actually came about cause some Westerners saw people training in Ninjutsu. they have a training method to increase their foot speed. What it actually is there are small somewhat thin wooden planks either on the surface or just below it. The training would be to run across the pieces or wood without falling in the water. That's the main "walking one water" myth explained. Anything else people want to know about?
This reminds me of the movie 3 Ninjas Kick Back (the second movie). They had a part were the Japanese kunoichi (female ninja) ran across a bunch of thin boards on a lake to get away from some assailants.

Aridas

Quote from: Valynth on April 22, 2007, 06:19:25 PM
If anything, eastern ninjas were considered about the same as western pirates. 
ZOMG NINJAS ARE PIRATES/PIRATES ARE NINJAS!

I wonder how the pirate vs. ninja debates will be affected by such talk?

Saist

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 22, 2007, 07:00:45 PM
Quote from: Valynth on April 22, 2007, 06:19:25 PM
If anything, eastern ninjas were considered about the same as western pirates.
ZOMG NINJAS ARE PIRATES/PIRATES ARE NINJAS!

I wonder how the pirate vs. ninja debates will be affected by such talk?

I'd rather NOT find out.

Lushin

Quote from: je.saist on April 22, 2007, 05:47:01 PM
actually I am reminded of the ... "security" demonstration given by the Japanese before the 1964 Summer Olympics.

The Japanese government arranged for members of their security force to jump off a tall building, rappel upside down to the ground, while firing off sub-machine guns (Uzi's I believe), at targets hung on a building across the street.

That event may have jump started the ... opinion... of what Ninja's were supposed to do.

However, in historical terms, the "ninja" clans were typically known as thieves and criminals. Ninja's were not known to act, or fight, with honor. Rather, the type of person that comes into mind when we think of say, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, would be a Samurai. 

The... best, or rather... most accurate... representation... of Ninja's in a major Hollywood film, I think would be Batman Begins. The ninja types were portrayed as people that simple made the best use of their surroundings to hide, active and passive camouflage, as well as relying on simple ... "tricks"... to disguise their movements.

Actually Ninjas where considered dishonorable and stuff like that by the Samurai. When in fact the Ninja came about because the people where tired of being treated badly by some Samurai. Yes they where thieves in some sence but they where also considered heroes. The First actually Ninjas came about from a Monk and an ex samuri because the samuri treating the people like trash. Samuri did what their Lord told them. If that meant killing people in a village, they did it no questions asked. People started to hate the Samurai but couldn't come out and say so or else they would be killed on the spot. Yes Ninja where covert and didn't fight the same as Samuri but they wheren't mean spirited people running around killing and robbing people.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Aridas

No way! Ninjas can kill anyone they want!  Ninjas cut off heads ALL the time and don't even think twice about it.  These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time.  I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner.  And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town.  My friend Mark said that he saw a ninja totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.

RJ

King Of Hearts

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 22, 2007, 05:55:31 PM

Yes but not as portrayed as get in-stab-get out scenario, most of these assasinations especially with high profile targets would take quite a lot of time such as when slowly poisoning the target making it appear as he is dying of sickness.

GabrielsThoughts

you mean ninja's cant really turn invisible and cling to th cealing using their bare hands?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Stygian

I have little to say in this discussion. I like to sneak up on people and flip out every once in a while, and I do it well enough, but I am no ninja.

However, one thing still remains clear; whoever used the pseudonym "Robert Hamburger" and wrote that book must die. And a few Hollywood and japanese directors deserve at least a spanking with a cricket racket. End of story.

lucas marcone

ok they just showed what myths they will be testing.
1)water walk
2)arrow catch bare hand
3) sword catch bare hand