Origin of Pip = Alan Dean Foster?

Started by Psy-Kosh, March 16, 2007, 03:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psy-Kosh

Just wondering, is Pip at all based on Pip from Alan Dean Foster's "Pip and Flinx Adventures" books?

Zedd

*inhales* Ummm.....You take over someone out there...I like to see how you put it down nicely

llearch n'n'daCorna

Psy: No. Although there are similarities, so far as we're aware, the two are unrelated.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Reese Tora

Nah, Pip doesn't have the nasty habit of expectorating in public when people piss him off.  He tends towards the more... direct approach.

(You know, maybe Pip is based on Pip, in name, if only that... I guess we'll have to wait and see if Amber says anything.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Amber Williams

I really need to read those books so I know what the heck people are talking about. :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 16, 2007, 11:10:27 AM
I really need to read those books so I know what the heck people are talking about. :B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Dean_Foster

I'd clean forgotten about them.  The only one I've read was 'Mid-Flinx'.  I've also read 'Voyage to the City of the Dead' which is from a different series, but set in the same universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minidrag

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Psy-Kosh

Thanks for the responses, had just been curious if the one had at all inspired the other. If no connection at all, well... Coincidences happen, I guess. :)

GabrielsThoughts

Pip or pipkin is slang for "my favorite traveling companion" don't ask me where It started, or where it came from, Personally I always thought Pip could be a childish form of pup or puppy and that is how the meaning developed.

EDIT: pip is actually short for Philip...
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

ardaron

Speaking of weird coincidences . . . I happen to have a roleplay character named Pipsqueak who has quite a few similarities to Amber's Pip.  Both are winged, both come from a universe where humans are extinct, and both have a generally sour disposition.  But in this case, I can be pretty sure that neither Pip inspired the other.  I created Pipsqueak before I read DMFA, and, well, I'm fairly certain Amber doesn't have the time to spy on my roleplays on other forums.

So, yep, coincidences happen.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 16, 2007, 02:24:20 PM
EDIT: pip is actually short for Philip...

In Alan Dean Foster's version, Pip is just Pip. Flinx is short for Philip Lynx, transliterated, but that's by-the-by... :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

kaskar

Since Pip is a Drake, and thus I presume is a reptile, was he raised from an egg, ( or small clutch ) , by Mab . That would explain why he is so protective of her, and so aggressive to potential threats .
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Izkata

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 16, 2007, 02:24:20 PMEDIT: pip is actually short for Philip...

Really?  I must use that on my friend next time I see him - he goes by "Phil".