India farmer has cow that eats chickens

Started by Ryudo Lee, March 08, 2007, 09:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryudo Lee

Does this sound like any characters we may know?

CALCUTTA, India - When his chickens started disappearing a few weeks ago, a farmer in eastern India figured dogs or jackals were to blame — until he discovered his calf making a meal of his poultry.

Moloy, who uses only one name, and his 1-year-old calf have since become local celebrities, with the carnivorous cow appearing on television in India's West Bengal state and hundreds of people flocking to see them in Chandipur, a village 145 miles southwest of Calcutta, the state capital.

"To catch the culprit, Moloy got up very early ... and to his disbelief found that it was his calf which came out from the cow shed and was eating the chickens alive," Debjyoti Chatterjee, a local resident who filmed the calf eating a chicken, said Thursday.

The local veterinarian was at a loss for an explanation.

"I've never read or heard about cows turning carnivorous," said Mihir Tripathy. "They eat grass and other vegetarian food but not fish or other non-vegetarian stuff."

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Valynth

It's the ultimate "eat more chicken" ad.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Alondro

ZOMG!!  VORE!!   D:

Cows in India are being mutated into predators by the severely lax chemical plant regulations!  The Farside was right!  The cows will take over!!   :U
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zedd

Aisha deCabre

I've heard of such things like that...like deer chewing on bones, for example.  Some may theorize that it might be because of the environment, or there's a chemical or substance sorely lacking in their regular food that they would otherwise get from such behavior.  At least, that might be how I heard it.

I wonder if this article might be overexaggerating a little, though.  A cow's digestive system couldn't be equipped to handle real meat.  If it's like the deer, it might've killed the chickens to get at the bone.

'Course then, that too could be inaccurate.   :rolleyes  It's just wierd.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Valynth

Well, all life was at one point plants or herbivores.  The carnivores had to start somewhere.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Boog

Don't you get it!? They're preparing themselves for the uprising! THEY'RE GOING TO GET US BACK FOR EATING THEM! HIDE! No, NOT IN THE MCDONALDS! AUGH!

Jokes aside, that's pretty cool. We're looking at either Hannibal Bessy or evolution in action here.

King Of Hearts

It east the ENTIRE chicken?

interesting... Ive heard of deer eating birds in order to keep their calcium levels high but this is... just odd.

Alan Garou

Awesome. Now all we need is to start breeding this thing, and we're ready to take over the world with our Death Cows!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Boog

Irony. It goes well with barbecue sause.

Ryudo Lee

A thought occurs... would the milk taste like chicken?

Brunhidden

not any more then the current milk tastes like grass.

if you wanna find out though, talk to a woman who is lactating. ask her to change her diet every few days and keep a record of what it makes her milk taste like. supposedly the default is 'pineapple'

QuoteDon't ask. Just Don't
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

thegayhare

Well I don't know about milk but I do know diet can change the taste of a guys...  err nevermind

I've been told the the taste is truly suprising after eating chicken in a biscut crackers

Ryudo Lee

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Valynth on March 08, 2007, 01:13:00 PM
It's the ultimate "eat more chicken" ad.

actually it's more along the BK campaign "Save the chickens buy a whopper"
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Brunhidden

when will someone launch an advertising campaign to support the eating of sheep and goats?

i don't care how silly it sounds, i want a fast food chain that serves mutton.

Quote"I think it just moved..."
"better eat it quick then, before it gets to the door"
"you are NOT helping dad"

Ryudo Lee

Maybe it's because it takes longer to cook?  I dunno... mutton patties don't sound too appetizing to me.

Brunhidden

"welcome to *insert restaurant name* can i take your order?"
"ill take two mutton chops, a honey sage haunch, a flagon of meade, and a little viking meal for the kid with lingdonberries"
"would you like lefse or pancakes with that?"
"lefse, and a regular viking meal for the wife too"

at least it beats the cheesy fast food place that made a brief appearance in the Hercules animated series- gyro world, everyone wore sheep hats and had to say "make mine mutton"

QuoteBurning villages are so pretty to watch during the sunset

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on March 13, 2007, 11:38:14 AM
at least it beats the cheesy fast food place that made a brief appearance in the Hercules animated series- gyro world, everyone wore sheep hats and had to say "make mine mutton"

Lawl, okay I'll grant you that one.   :)