3/1/07- YEEEG!

Started by Boog, March 01, 2007, 08:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog

Quote from: Black_angel on March 02, 2007, 03:02:46 PM
Some curiosity about the species still, and some speculation. I can only assume that Arachspearians aren't very common, because neither Dan nor Abel seems to have ever seen one before (or at least, they never spoke before). So how did they get in the basement to begin with? Abel mentions spiders in the basement as early as #607... do they accumulate around magic creatures?
See now, I'm thinking Fa'lina slipped them into Abel's luggage. After all, she's willing to kick him out of SAIA to make him get over his fear of the world. Adding arachnaphobia to the list of things he needs to take care of wouldn't be too great a streach.

AndersW

People have been thinking that Abel sleeps nude.

Dan just scared Abel with the huge spider.

Likelihood that Dan finds out if Abel sleeps nude are high.  :mowsmile

Doraion

"Uhhh, there arn't mutant ones that are hostile are there?  I swore I heard a spider twice my size quote a midsummer night's dream one time on a tresure hunt."

Manawolf

While a little late, the spider bite reminds me of a PG version of Warp Touch.

Narethlian

Quote from: Tikki on March 02, 2007, 08:32:06 PM
I can't help but look at the title bar and think... Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell. Fire in the disco! Fire in the.. gates of hell!

Dont'cha wanna know why we keep starting fires. It's my desire! It's my desire!

WOO! Another weirdo person who's listened to Electric Six!

Quote from: superluser on March 01, 2007, 11:24:42 PM
Quote from: Narethlian on March 01, 2007, 10:55:26 PMShakespeare(Shakesbeare?)

There are actually 16 different ways to spell his name (yours is not one of them).  I recall that a public library demanded that an artist change a mosaic she made for the library with the name spelt `Shakespere.'  Interestingly, this was the spelling that the bard used when signing his name.  Doesn't explain the bit about ``(Albert) Eistein'' and ``(Vincent) Van Gough,'' though.

:aack

Overanalyzing my earlier post aren't we?

*Mutters to self, "Explain your idea there, and potentially cause a big argument, or just drop it?"*

I'll just drop it.

-Nar

PookiesUncle

Kind of nice to see Dan get a little of his own back for once.  Maybe he's related to his sister after all.   :)

Wanderer

Quote from: terrycloth on March 02, 2007, 08:10:17 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on March 01, 2007, 09:51:37 PM
I wouldn't say well-prepared so much as desparate or foolish.  10-1 the odds are you are going to have a negative reaction (even insta-death) before you get anything remotely good.          And odds are the only good thing you'd get is the ability to see in the dark.  There isn't any real way one can "prepare" themselves. 

So, it's like a deck of many things, the bane of adventuring groups everywhere. I've yet to see a group all agree to just let it be and not draw cards... and of course once one person gets something good, everyone is doomed.  :mowmeep

If the creatures were smart, they'd just breed arachnaspearians and release them into adventuring halls all over furrae. Adventurers would be extinct in a week.
The deck of many things... Ooooh boy did THAT one screw up one of my friend's parties so bad... You'd think people would learn that it's just not worth the risk, but...

Manawolf

No, it's much more like Warp Touch, since it's a disease that causes all manner of random effects to the body, instead of random thing happening to you like sudden wealth or random person in the world growing to hate you.

Goatmon

Why?!  Why must it speak in Shakespear?!  *Tugs at hair* 

Dan's face is classic, btw.  It makes that entire page.   :boogie

superluser

Quote from: Goatmon on March 04, 2007, 02:06:23 AMWhy?!  Why must it speak in Shakespear?!  *Tugs at hair* 

Dan's face is classic, btw.  It makes that entire page.   :boogie

You want that thread.  This one is for this strip.

Or, y'know, keep posting here.  This thread could use some messages that are at least tangentially related to DMFA.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Goatmon

I might also say that this isn't the first time I've accidently stumbled onto the wrong thread.  It'd be nice if the subjects for these things were required to have the name of the  ****ing comic in it.  Heaven Forbid cause that's a monumental request.  -_-

llearch n'n'daCorna

*clicky-clicky*

No need to thank me. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Goatmon

I might also say that this isn't the first time I've accidently stumbled onto the wrong thread.  It'd be nice if the subjects for these things were required to have the name of the  ****ing comic in it.  Heaven Forbid cause that's a monumental request.  -_-

llearch n'n'daCorna

Which name? The number, or the comment under the comic, or the title of the page? On the front page, all three differ...

Perhaps we should include the strip number, rather than the date? Although, of course, since there are many folk who post the threads, it'd have to be a group decision...

Goatmon

As it is the only indicator here is the date, which is only present on the front page.  If someone happens to catch a comic once it's moved off of the front page (Which is extremely possible since Amber updates often) there's no indication of what day the comic was put up, hence it's not always blatantly obvious.

A simple "DMFA" or "Abel", and the date in the title isn't all that difficult, really.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You have a point. I'll be sure to recommend it to everyone posting threads.

After all, there's only 240 or so of them that are on every week... :-)

Goatmon

And since all of them are created solely for the discussion of the newest comic, I'm sure that's quite a task. 

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 04, 2007, 07:04:17 AMPerhaps we should include the strip number, rather than the date? Although, of course, since there are many folk who post the threads, it'd have to be a group decision...

I had thought that the date part was an Amber request, but I think I got it exactly wrong.  Unless there are objections, I'll start putting strip numbers in it--I actually prefer that idea.

P.S. Every once in a while, the back button on the DMFA front page takes you back two pages.  I'm not sure if it's because the latest strip hasn't been added to the index, or if it's a problem with the script, but since the strip number is not immediately visible on the front page, people might hit the back button and add one, winding up repeating the strip number from the last update.

Goatmon

Numbers are fine, I just like knowing which ****ing comic the thread's about.  A date doesn't tell me that, and it's annoying to have to back and forth on the page checking for the date.  Which, I might add, is impossible if the thread has been bumped as late as a  ouple of days at which point the next comic will have changed and it  becomes will be impossible to tell from the archive which page was added. 

Titling a thread "DMFA, February 24th" tells me it was a DMFA comic from a few weeks ago, at which point all I have to do is compare commentary to the comics that took place 6-8 strips ago.  Meh, whatever.  I probably sound like a grumpy old man. 

superluser

Quote from: Goatmon on March 04, 2007, 11:48:36 AMTitling a thread "DMFA, February 24th" tells me it was a DMFA comic from a few weeks ago, at which point all I have to do is compare commentary to the comics that took place 6-8 strips ago.

I actually usually do add something like (Abel) when I make Abel threads, but I forgot to that time.  Sorry.  Please accept this cookie as an apology.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on March 04, 2007, 11:29:17 AM
P.S. Every once in a while, the back button on the DMFA front page takes you back two pages.  I'm not sure if it's because the latest strip hasn't been added to the index, or if it's a problem with the script, but since the strip number is not immediately visible on the front page, people might hit the back button and add one, winding up repeating the strip number from the last update.

I understand, or at least guess, that the code isn't really script as such, so the reason it jumps back two is that Amber forgot to update that one little segment.

Since there's four or five different places she needs to update, this isn't a big deal, and isn't something we're really jumping up and down over. OTOH, I have some sneaky plans with Darkmoon that may help resolve this... If we can get in without her noticing, etc etc... :-)

Uh...  Amber, if you're reading this, disregard all the above posts. No, really. There's nothing important in them at all...

Falcarthum

Mmmmh... curious things this arachspearians...

* Searching for others quoting-vermins, like scorpoes and lovecrabs *

"Fantasy & Reality are opposed sides of the same coin."
"Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity."

<== Yappity by Silverfox

Aurawyn

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 04, 2007, 07:04:17 AM
Which name? The number, or the comment under the comic, or the title of the page? On the front page, all three differ...

Perhaps we should include the strip number, rather than the date? Although, of course, since there are many folk who post the threads, it'd have to be a group decision...

How about having the "Official" thread for a give thread be posted by Amber herself? I read other Web comics, and that is what they do on them. They also give a little wright up about the page itself..

*shrugs*

Just an Idea

llearch n'n'daCorna

That requires more work on Amber's part. The idea is, we harness the efforts of some of the rest of us lazy folks, and give her a break.

After all, if she's spending ~7 hours/day drawing the comic, minimum, isn't it only fair that she gets some time off?

LionHeart

On the El Goonish Shive forum, it's become a custom to provide a link to the strip in the first post of the thread.

Just a suggestion...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

The problem with that is that it's not immediately obvious what the link needs to be - you have to go back one day, and then forwards one day...

Having a "here's the permanent link for this strip" is something else we could add to the page, I guess...

Azraelle

Right-clicking the comic image and choosing Properties shows me what the strip number is, no matter where it is.

llearch n'n'daCorna

My point was, whilst you can do that, and I can do that, and we can extrapolate from there...

... it's a bit on the nose to ask everyone to do so, every time, no? After all, it's not always the same...

ShiningShadow

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 05, 2007, 10:27:31 AM
My point was, whilst you can do that, and I can do that, and we can extrapolate from there...

... it's a bit on the nose to ask everyone to do so, every time, no? After all, it's not always the same...

we could do that when starting these threads so the numbers are there when we right click the strip. Cool I will keep that in my brain.

kaskar

I wonder how this phobia about spiders combines with his one of blood ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...