llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on March 16, 2007, 09:58:21 AM
Oh... this game has a cheat button :p
Ah well, a lesson in economics.

Yeah. Cheat Mode FTW. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sirios Skywolf

I'm requesting ratification as Emissary for the Defensive Mutually Friendly Alliance (Our Alliance). I've gotten to know the sanctioned alliances of CN, I've held discussions with several people in leadership of the biggest ones. I've been monitoring the recent action between alliances, and I believe I can benefit our alliance by representing us.

So, what do y'all think?

Kasarn

I don't really care... in CN terms, this isn't a serious alliance.
But what have you been up to?

Sirios Skywolf

Watching the wars, watching the forums on CN. It makes me wish I was strong enough (And was with one of the alliances) to go do something. But, as Pepe Le Pew once said, "Le Sigh".

Arcalane

I don't see the point in jumping in at the deep end if we're simply playing "casually", as it were. No point getting more involved than we want to.

Also, someone in the alliance appears to have switched over to Maroon - the Kingdom of March, whoever they are.

Suwako

I'm being attacked :-(

How dare they? ... Okay if I would have more soldiers I would be winning, He is taken more casualties than I am and I have won most of the battles because of that but I have only got 1/4 of the soldiers he has... :(

*sigh* only because I didn't want to trade with him.

Arcalane

Kicked him upside the head a little. He only has about 200 defending troops at the moment.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sheridan on March 20, 2007, 01:36:11 PM
Also, someone in the alliance appears to have switched over to Maroon - the Kingdom of March, whoever they are.

That would be Sirios.

Arcalane

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 20, 2007, 03:12:40 PM

That would be Sirios.

As I suspected. Wasn't 100% sure. :P

Tezkat

Heh... our would-be emissary defected?  :mowtongue

Quote from: Aiyno Wolf on March 20, 2007, 01:55:07 PM
I'm being attacked :-(

How dare they? ... Okay if I would have more soldiers I would be winning, He is taken more casualties than I am and I have won most of the battles because of that but I have only got 1/4 of the soldiers he has... :(

*sigh* only because I didn't want to trade with him.

You do have a very nice resource set, Aiyno.

At any rate, you guys seem to be making short work of this idiot. How might I be of assistance? :kittydevious
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Sirios Skywolf

Sorry, I'm changing it back...I was trying to court NoR for trading partners, but no luck.

Also, I'll see what I can to, I'm doing abit of tech raiding on an inactive myself, against a VERY inactive nation called Go-Gaia. Our alliance is just a defensive one, but any help on this would be appreciated, and I'll split whatever I get with whoever wants to help.

Arcalane

Quote from: Tezkat on March 20, 2007, 04:34:36 PM

At any rate, you guys seem to be making short work of this idiot. How might I be of assistance? :kittydevious

I think we have him neutralized to harmless levels. Aiyno probably needs more troops as he's currently in Anarchy, but Arcatech is holding strong. Fear the communist government. :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

Aiyno dismissed half of what I sent him, on grounds of he had too many troops. :-]

I think he should have waited until the guy agreed to peace, myself, but what the hey. I'll be working on saving up, I think.

Quote from: Sirios Skywolf on March 20, 2007, 04:57:59 PM
Sorry, I'm changing it back...I was trying to court NoR for trading partners, but no luck.

Meh. You realise any trades you had when you changed drop the team bonus, and once you change back, you still won't get it back?

Also, I'll see what I can to, I'm doing abit of tech raiding on an inactive myself, against a VERY inactive nation called Go-Gaia. Our alliance is just a defensive one, but any help on this would be appreciated, and I'll split whatever I get with whoever wants to help.

Hmmm. Yeah, from my point of view, if you aggro someone up, and they beat on you, that's your problem.

On the other hand, if you stand around and someone sneaks up and attacks you, that's something else. The former, I'll ignore. The latter, I'll help. It's very simple.

Of course, I'm not speaking for anyone else, and the whole rest of the alliance is welcome to step in. I'm just not going to. :-]

Arcalane

Alright, he's requested peace with me so I've called off the hounds. Perhaps that'll learn him. :P

Tezkat

Ah... another swift crisis resolution. :kittycool

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 20, 2007, 08:08:58 PM

Hmmm. Yeah, from my point of view, if you aggro someone up, and they beat on you, that's your problem.

On the other hand, if you stand around and someone sneaks up and attacks you, that's something else. The former, I'll ignore. The latter, I'll help. It's very simple.

Hmm... what qualifies as inactive? Go-Gaia, for instance, accepted an aid offer just last week...

Honestly, I don't feel comfortable supporting unprovoked wars, either. When it goes bad, it places us in the awkward position of either having to condone what are essentially rogue attacks or sit back and watch an ally take a beating. This game isn't even like, say, Earth 2025 or its many clones where you need to land grab to grow; you can easily develop a powerful nation in CN without throwing a single punch.  I see loose cannons as a liability for the alliance.

Sirios Skywolf

That's just fine, and I don't expect any support. However, I've also offered reps to anyone who I've attacked since Go-Gaia, and will continue to offer. It's something I've seen alot of people do, and I wanted to stretch my war legs abit, just in case we get into anything serious.

However, as we're a rather anarchal group so far, I'll take the word of both Tezkat and Llearch as being leadership suggestions, and immediately cease any non-defensive action.

Tezkat

I won't deny that I've been curious about the mechanics of the war system myself... :animesweat

Still, we ought to decide what kind of alliance we want to be. Are we naught but an informal collective of rogue states banded together for mutual defence? I encountered that kind of attitude when negotiating with the League of Shadows back when llearch was attacked, and I can't say I liked what I saw. (Their leader titled his first reply to me "Take him out" in reference to the aggressor, a nation in the top 10% of their alliance.) They didn't have the structure or communications to be accountable for their members, but we're still a fairly small, tight-knit group. I think we can do better.

Sirios Skywolf

Well, it was fun: I got a good deal of money (about 9000) out of a cautious attack. Personally, I think that we should all experiment with the war mechanics, and declaring on inactives is a CN acceptable way of doing it.

However, at the moment, I think we should solidify things here. Tezkat and Llearch are both senior people who have nations that are doing particularly well, and thus I look at both of them as semi in charge. I know we only have seven people, but still, seeing as we've been attacked twice now, I really think we need more than a simple mutual defense pact between nations.

Also, to my trading partners, please cancel your trades and then resend to regain the team bonus. Thanks.

Edit: You know, we could also consider joining a pre-existing alliance collectively. I've been watching several that we could join, like the Green Protection Agency, which is a truly neutral alliance that is well respected on the forums, and rarely if ever goes to war. Though I guess I like NPO and \m/ for the sheer fun if that were going to be the case.

Tezkat

Um...

Why does it look like Valynth is the aggressor in a war with an alliance that's bigger and stronger than we are:erk

Quote from: Sirios Skywolf on March 21, 2007, 04:14:32 PM
Edit: You know, we could also consider joining a pre-existing alliance collectively. I've been watching several that we could join, like the Green Protection Agency, which is a truly neutral alliance that is well respected on the forums, and rarely if ever goes to war. Though I guess I like NPO and \m/ for the sheer fun if that were going to be the case.

After all the trouble I went through to get five bonus resources, I can't say that anything involving a team switch appeals to me. Are you that eager to play with the big boys?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Good question. What's up, Valynth?

... incidentally, if what appears to be the case is, then when they come back and beat you senseless, I'm going to point and laugh, ok? :-]

Valynth

He was inactive for a week, acctually he hasn't been on since the 8th.  I think he's gonna be removed from the game soon anyway.  (you need to collect taxes every 20 days or you are removed.)

Okay, I've offered peace to him, so if he acctually has activity, he'll be able to stop the aggression, but as I've stated he hasn't had activity since the 8th and the war will last beyond the "drop date"
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Sirios Skywolf

play with the big boys? I dunno, really. I mean, I'd like to help build our alliance, get us to a position of power and all, but at the same time, I like this game alot more for the politics than the warfare, and right now alll we're doing is collecting taxes and leveling up. We aren't involved politically or martially, and so, there isn't much to do but level up. Nothing against that, but what is the point then? Otherwise, we're just playing nationstates.

Valynth

oh, and I also happen to dislike the name of one of the alliances nation's....

here ya go

I find that offensive.  If ever there was a nation I feel morally obligated to smack down based on name, it would be him.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

Arcalane

Finally got up to 1,000 people, so I'm probably going to gun for getting an Improvement in the near future, possibly a Bank, Clinic or School.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I believe a harbor is the standard first choice. I'm inclined to agree...

Arcalane

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 23, 2007, 07:18:46 PM

I prefer to keep to trading w/in our little alliance, and nobody else (so far) has resources that I need, as far as I can tell, apart from Tezkat's Aluminium and Lumber, both of which I lack. But he already has through trade the only things I offer - Iron and Pigs.  :rolleyes

Tezkat

Quote from: Valynth on March 22, 2007, 02:45:37 PM
He was inactive for a week, acctually he hasn't been on since the 8th.  I think he's gonna be removed from the game soon anyway.  (you need to collect taxes every 20 days or you are removed.)

Okay, I've offered peace to him, so if he acctually has activity, he'll be able to stop the aggression, but as I've stated he hasn't had activity since the 8th and the war will last beyond the "drop date"

Regardless of my stance on attacking inactives, what you did with Bearpeopleland was risk hostilities with an alliance twice our size. A simple search of their recent wars reveals that they are willing and able to defend their brethren. Even though we lack a formal policy on first strikes, avoiding nations with alliance backing is just common sense (at least without the backing and approval of your own allies).

:mowdizzy

Quote from: Sirios Skywolf on March 22, 2007, 04:42:47 PM
play with the big boys? I dunno, really. I mean, I'd like to help build our alliance, get us to a position of power and all, but at the same time, I like this game alot more for the politics than the warfare, and right now alll we're doing is collecting taxes and leveling up. We aren't involved politically or martially, and so, there isn't much to do but level up. Nothing against that, but what is the point then? Otherwise, we're just playing nationstates.

You can level up in NationStates? :mowtongue Based on the activity we've seen thus far, we won't be lacking for military action. There's no shortage of aggressive fools in this game. I'd prefer that we weren't among them, is all.

With respect to my "big boys" comment, well... There's a new world war going on right now with thousands of nations slugging it out. So... which side would you like to support? You seem to be a fan of NPO and \m/, but all my non-DMFA trading partners are GATO or Legion (and our alliance is purple). Either side would certainly offer some exciting battles before being crushed in a multi-nation gangbang...

Just my $0.02 on the issue... I've run many online game alliances over the past decade. Right now, CyberNations is in "few minutes a day distraction" territory for me. I know that politicking and deciding to take the game seriously is a slippery slope down to the "up at 3am coordinating a hundred-player war" zone. I'm personally not ready for that level of commitment just yet. If that's your thing, more power to you. Barring a liberal application of llearch's "Cheat Mode", however, most of our members are still weeks of boring tax collection and levelling up away from being serious condenders anyway.

Quote from: Sheridan on March 23, 2007, 06:47:48 PM
Finally got up to 1,000 people, so I'm probably going to gun for getting an Improvement in the near future, possibly a Bank, Clinic or School.

Get a harbour first. Saving up for it takes a while, but two more resources (plus possible in-team happiness and bonus resources) beats out pretty much anything you can get from another improvement. After that, build stadiums until your tax income/citizen hits $24, then go for banks.

The other path is to go schools, universities, and a foreign ministry to become a tech trader.

Add in factories, missile defence, and so on to taste.

Quote from: Sheridan on March 23, 2007, 08:13:57 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 23, 2007, 07:18:46 PM

I prefer to keep to trading w/in our little alliance, and nobody else (so far) has resources that I need, as far as I can tell, apart from Tezkat's Aluminium and Lumber, both of which I lack. But he already has through trade the only things I offer - Iron and Pigs.  :rolleyes

Even if you trade out of the alliance, it's probably better than other improvements. I mean... there's only eight of us; we can't have enough for everyone. Aluminum/Lumber is tough to find, though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on March 23, 2007, 08:42:15 PM
Just my $0.02 on the issue... I've run many online game alliances over the past decade. Right now, CyberNations is in "few minutes a day distraction" territory for me. I know that politicking and deciding to take the game seriously is a slippery slope down to the "up at 3am coordinating a hundred-player war" zone. I'm personally not ready for that level of commitment just yet. If that's your thing, more power to you. Barring a liberal application of llearch's "Cheat Mode", however, most of our members are still weeks of boring tax collection and levelling up away from being serious condenders anyway.

Ah.. the "cheat mode" is limited to a max of once a month, per player. And will only do 200 land, 200 infrastructure, 20 tech, and $400k. Sure, we could -all- benefit from it, but still, it would take a lot more levelling to be up there in reasonable territory.

FWIW, I plan on "cheating" again, next month. And I'm not going to object to anyone else doing so, either. But then, I -did- pass out some of the results in foreign aid to non-combatants...

Get a harbour first. Saving up for it takes a while, but two more resources (plus possible in-team happiness and bonus resources) beats out pretty much anything you can get from another improvement. After that, build stadiums until your tax income/citizen hits $24, then go for banks.

The other path is to go schools, universities, and a foreign ministry to become a tech trader.

Oh, is -that- what you're supposed to do? I guess I should go do that, then... :-)

Even if you trade out of the alliance, it's probably better than other improvements. I mean... there's only eight of us; we can't have enough for everyone. Aluminum/Lumber is tough to find, though.

FWIW, I'm trying to get Mischa's machine working enough that she can get past the captcha to get in. Once she can do that, she's looking at Rubber and Oil. Those might be of use.... and I'm sure she'll like two sets of pigs... :-)

Sirios Skywolf

So, well kids, I realize that after my emissary post, it sorta sounded like this or that.

To be entirely plain, I'm joining \m/. To do the politicking and such. Fun!

They've got a rather big aid program for n00bz, and while that's a tempting thing by itself, I like them. I'm a terribly imperialist kinda guy who likes politicking and fighting and such, and I've got enough time to waste on this imaginary game that I'm going to join a group where I'll have the chance to do that.

I'll kick some aid and such to you guys whenever I can. I like all of you, and I don't think this has to be big drama or anything, because even once I join \m/, it doesn't preclude us from helping each other out and such.

Valynth

Regardless of my stance on attacking inactives, what you did with Bearpeopleland was risk hostilities with an alliance twice our size. A simple search of their recent wars reveals that they are willing and able to defend their brethren. Even though we lack a formal policy on first strikes, avoiding nations with alliance backing is just common sense (at least without the backing and approval of your own allies).

Then just say "Dentrinition's assault was an individual effort and it shall suffer whatever reprocussions result from it's actions, with no aid from the alliance."

Also, have you even looked at some of the member nations?  They glorify terrorism!  Anyone who allies themselves with such scum deserve what ever reprocussions they get.

Like this one.

And maybe this one, its description sits on the fence.

Don't forget this one

Anyway, I dislike these guys, but I'm only gonna keep in under wraps untill I'm strong enough.  Anyway, inactivity was the cause for the initial assault and they probably would have attacked me anyway given their descriptions.  And the fact that I'm weaker than them.  Personally I'd rather have control over my destiny that letting a die decide my fate.

Also, their use of the word "Jihad" marks them as offensive to the good muslims and islamic followers out there.  You know, the ones who don't want to kill those who don't believe in their God?