2007/01/13 I wonder where Glory's gone?

Started by superluser, January 12, 2007, 07:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 13, 2007, 08:09:25 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on January 13, 2007, 07:56:59 AM
doing some simple math, i'd say during the earlier parts of abel's story, kria's roughly 19.

don't believe me?.. compare Kria and Abel's ages from the cast pages..

That would make her about 36 and she looks younger now than she did then  >:3

So.. she's now conscious of her age, and attempting to look younger?

Nothing terribly unusual there, although with the extended lifespan, not what I'd expect....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

*Charline  >:3 *  This is so much fun!  I really hope Kria did kill them because it just makes the setup for Abel's mental torment even worse!  Oh how I love it when they break down into insanity from the trauma!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Charline on January 13, 2007, 10:58:53 AM
Oh how I love it when they break down into insanity from the trauma!

Well, that explains a lot about her, I guess  :rolleyes

**EDIT**

If anyone doubts Kria's involvement, take a look at her hands!  She's been doing the hoof-sharpening thing like Pegasus did to kill Dan.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 13, 2007, 06:31:59 AMI meant cities in general more than Zinvth specifically.  The point I was trying to make was that with cities, you have a whole load of Beings there to help run it, but they have to pay a tribute of some kind.

Here's Amber's description from The Nice (add 'cities' entry to wiki?):
http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum2443.htm#ref16

Hrm.  As you (predicted I'd) say, Zinvth may be a special case.  If several major cities are run/under the patronage of Creatures, then it might seem odd to call it *the* Demon City.  On the other hand, Cid was probably just using a non-exclusive appositive.  It still sounds to me like there's something different about Zinvth.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 13, 2007, 06:31:59 AMAs for the 'Creature School' theory, it could be, or it could be that Abel got shunted into a Creature class without him or his parents knowing.
The flaw in that is that since most Creatures are good at magic anyway, Kria's little chat with May should have happened differently - if at all.

It could be that the creature school had ``open enrollment,'' similar to how some primary schools have a Gender Roles in Mathematics class which is technically identical to the standard math class, but boys won't take it.

May might have just wanted Abel away from the Beings, on general principles, based on their previous experiences, and Kria either sensed that Abel was a creature or figured that since May was uncomfortable talking about Abel's parentage, he must be an incubus.

It's also quite possible that, even in Zinvth, Beings really hate Creatures.  After all, would you like being in the same classroom as the taxman, or would you feel all that charitable to someone who viewed you as nothing more than a robotnik or a sokman?

Quote from: Jack McSlay on January 13, 2007, 06:18:47 AMI dont think she did the slaghter at least, there's not a drop of blood on her unless she knows dress-washing magic... and that sexy dress isn't a good choice for battle

Well, that was all ranged magic--no blood anywhere near her.  Plus, the previous deaths really might have been caused by an upset lantern.  And to top it off, if Devin & al. had the time to clean up after handling the battle, then Kria certainly did.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 13, 2007, 11:15:36 AMIf anyone doubts Kria's involvement, take a look at her hands!  She's been doing the hoof-sharpening thing like Pegasus did to kill Dan.

Well, there's a difference between ``I commit murder on a regular basis'' and ``I committed that murder.''  And oddly enough. it'll actually stand up in court.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 13, 2007, 11:15:36 AMIf anyone doubts Kria's involvement, take a look at her hands!  She's been doing the hoof-sharpening thing like Pegasus did to kill Dan.

Well, there's a difference between ``I commit murder on a regular basis'' and ``I committed that murder.''  And oddly enough. it'll actually stand up in court.

Well we're probably going to find out next week anyway, but just for comparison, check out her hands in #335:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_335.php

..now compare with #334 after she's just glugged the Delivery boy:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_334.php

IMHO the most likely explanation is that she was going to look for and kill any survivors.
..although as you say, all this is circumstantial...

Aleolus

*Forehead smack*  OK, why am I surprised by her showing up?  And where the H*LL is her daughter???

Lomgren

Okay, I'm going to side with the people who say Kria is in on it.  But am I the only one who noticed that there are attacks still going on as she just stands there?  Behind the speech bubbles on the right in the big panel?

Aridas

Quote from: Aleolus on January 13, 2007, 02:32:45 PM
*Forehead smack* OK, why am I surprised by her showing up? And where the H*LL is her daughter???
If you're talking about Lorenda, she's only 24 in the regular comic, for crying out loud >.>

superluser

Quote from: Lomgren on January 13, 2007, 02:34:54 PMOkay, I'm going to side with the people who say Kria is in on it.  But am I the only one who noticed that there are attacks still going on as she just stands there?  Behind the speech bubbles on the right in the big panel?

That was the ice spell that Devin cast.  The spell may be magic, but the ice is real, and it will take some time to melt.

Dard

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 13, 2007, 01:59:33 PMWell we're probably going to find out next week anyway, but just for comparison, check out her hands in #335:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_335.php

..now compare with #334 after she's just glugged the Delivery boy:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_334.php
When she was in kindergarden she also had her hands in non-hostile mode: 25, 26.
Contrary to now.

Aisha deCabre

Oy, Kria...

When I read this comic, a part of me was relieved at least that someone was around who knew Abel and would probably help him.  And the second part definitely thought that she had a bit of involvement in this whole thing.  I saw the sharp claws too...

Makes me wonder just what'll happen if he does come across Kria again in the DMFA storyline...or at least Lorenda.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Dard

I just reread the archives and noticed that strip 5 was named "Part One: Summer of Youth".
So far there was no "Part Two". Does this mean we are still in Part 1 (of X)? Or did Amber just abandon the numbering?
I mean, at the beginning of the storyline I thought Abel's Story would last some twenty strips or so. Now we are at 66, no end in sight and we are possibly still in part 1!

And for those who remember it: The alternative to Abel's Story would have been Regina's Story. Regina has been in the cast page for what seems to be an eternity and she has yet to make an appearance...

Akisohida

I am still of the opinion Kria did not do it. I mean, that watch post on the border, thus, BOTH cities near it are supposed to come to the aide should a signal go out. It could be a nutual non-aggression treaty or something. Just because one saide is more powerful does not mean the other can't everrun them; a treaty would make life easier for BOTH sides and the watch tower would be there to prevent either side from having people who feel like brekaing the rule. I still think Kria came to see what the signal was about. Expecting combat would make her put her hooves in claw-mode. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

superluser

Quote from: Akisohida on January 13, 2007, 03:20:29 PMI still think Kria came to see what the signal was about. Expecting combat would make her put her hooves in claw-mode. :)

Why would she be expecting combat?  The reason given for the fire was an accident with fire safety.  Now as to whether or not that be true, it is what Xander would have said.

Edit: You know, it sounded wrong when I was writing it.  The creatures that attacked the travellers were long gone by the time that our heroes arrived, and there would have been no indication that they  intended to come back.
:tib3

You also seem to be missing the fact that Kria is ignoring Devin, who is obviously very recently deceased.  I would have expected her to react quite differently if she cared at all about Beings.  I suspect that she would have said something like ``Oh, my goodness, Abel!  I'm so sorry.  We need to get you out of here before anything else happens.  Is there anyone else around who might be in need of help?''

By Kria's response, we can be pretty sure that either she's either on the side of those who did it, or she thinks that Abel did it and she's playing coy.

Akisohida

Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 03:53:49 PM
Quote from: Akisohida on January 13, 2007, 03:20:29 PMI still think Kria came to see what the signal was about. Expecting combat would make her put her hooves in claw-mode. :)

Why would she be expecting combat?  The reason given for the fire was an accident with fire safety.  Now as to whether or not that be true, it is what Xander would have said.

Edit: You know, it sounded wrong when I was writing it.  The creatures that attacked the travellers were long gone by the time that our heroes arrived, and there would have been no indication that they  intended to come back.
:tib3

You also seem to be missing the fact that Kria is ignoring Devin, who is obviously very recently deceased.  I would have expected her to react quite differently if she cared at all about Beings.  I suspect that she would have said something like ``Oh, my goodness, Abel!  I'm so sorry.  We need to get you out of here before anything else happens.  Is there anyone else around who might be in need of help?''

By Kria's response, we can be pretty sure that either she's either on the side of those who did it, or she thinks that Abel did it and she's playing coy.

Again, she could be staying calm to keep Abel calm. Rather than "Oh jeeze!" she is trying to get Abel away from the fight and freaking him out would not help. (Can someone explain to me why my firefox is opening a "find" bar if I press the " button without the shift key? Also, I can not use the arrows to move my cursor left or right. o.O)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Stygian

Oh but... Does anyone else here actually think of the poor drama and consider that it might be a good thing if Kria is actually there to cause random havoc? I mean, sure it's as good a possibility that she isn't, but that just doesn't lend itself to more plot...

superluser

Quote from: Akisohida on January 13, 2007, 04:44:39 PMAgain, she could be staying calm to keep Abel calm. Rather than "Oh jeeze!" she is trying to get Abel away from the fight and freaking him out would not help.

Her response is rather too cold, I think.  Abel doesn't want a schoolmarm to be telling him what to do, he wants a motherly figure to tell him that everything's going to be OK, and that he'll be out of harm's way presently.  Kria ordering Abel around isn't likely to help, either.

Also, ``If anyone sees you, they'll probably kill you'' is not going to help lower Abel's blood pressure. (Unless...   :B )

Jim Halisstrad

BOOOOOOO, it's Kria.

I don't care how she's involved I just really hate that character.
She needs to catch the Demon version of the Clap.

Also, it's now Abel Dent.

superluser

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on January 13, 2007, 05:25:57 PMBOOOOOOO, it's Kria.

I don't care how she's involved I just really hate that character.
She needs to catch the Demon version of the Clap.

Quit pussyfooting around and tell us how you really feel.

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on January 13, 2007, 05:25:57 PMAlso, it's now Abel Dent.

I dunno.  Arthur Dent never gave up.

QuoteLittle Boy: Avoid the clap, Jimmy Dugan.
Jimmy Dugan: Hey, that's good advice!

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 03:53:49 PM

I doubt it, I get the feeling that she sees the corpse, knows it's a corpse and prioritizes getting Abel the heck out of there before helping him deal with his dead friend.  On the battle field you ALWAYS put the living above the dead, or the living soon become the dead.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Alan Garou

Quote from: Akisohida on January 13, 2007, 04:44:39 PM
(Can someone explain to me why my firefox is opening a "find" bar if I press the " button without the shift key? Also, I can not use the arrows to move my cursor left or right. o.O)
Same thing kept happening to me at the time. Must have been a forum bug. More on-topic, I am siding with those that suspect Kria of being involved.

Turnsky

Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 01:50:15 PM

and don't forget "i like to have a good manicure" :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Lomgren

Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 02:47:48 PM
Quote from: Lomgren on January 13, 2007, 02:34:54 PMOkay, I'm going to side with the people who say Kria is in on it.  But am I the only one who noticed that there are attacks still going on as she just stands there?  Behind the speech bubbles on the right in the big panel?

That was the ice spell that Devin cast.  The spell may be magic, but the ice is real, and it will take some time to melt.
Oh, I forgot about that.  That's what happens when you read too many comics to remember them all.

ShiningShadow

When I saw Kira there standing there like it was nothing and telling Abel *You must go home Now*. I'm really suspicious of her and her statements and her actions. I'm hoping for Kira that she's not the beast that was causing havoc on that outpost. Or she came when she got the message from Xander. I don't know but I'm leaning on the first statement maybe she did killed Xander killed everybody for reasons we don't know. Right now I'm totally suspicious of Kira at this point.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd be suspicious of Kira, too.

I mean, we've seen Kria, and she's bad enough, but not Kira. Who the heck is Kira?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 13, 2007, 11:15:36 AM
Quote from: Charline on January 13, 2007, 10:58:53 AM
Oh how I love it when they break down into insanity from the trauma!

Well, that explains a lot about her, I guess  :rolleyes

**EDIT**

If anyone doubts Kria's involvement, take a look at her hands!  She's been doing the hoof-sharpening thing like Pegasus did to kill Dan.

Actually, couldn't the hoof-sharpening be from prepping for a long distance run?

On the flipside, she may have some enchantments to keep blood off her, since we've never seen her with blood despite references to killings in normal DMFA.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on January 14, 2007, 07:32:06 AM
On the flipside, she may have some enchantments to keep blood off her, since we've never seen her with blood despite references to killings in normal DMFA.

Good point.  On the way to Jyrras' place she kills both the pizza boy and one of Jyrras' gardeners* and yet is entirely free from blood.

*Of course anyone who's played Ultima 9 will know how annoying gardeners are and the fact that you don't lose any karma for giving them an arrow in the back is an added bonus.

Aridas

Well, considering what they've been being attacked with, blood is difficult to get on yourself from that far away...

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 01:50:15 PM
Hrm.  As you (predicted I'd) say, Zinvth may be a special case.  If several major cities are run/under the patronage of Creatures, then it might seem odd to call it *the* Demon City.  On the other hand, Cid was probably just using a non-exclusive appositive.  It still sounds to me like there's something different about Zinvth.

You might find this interesting.. I've just checked the Demons entry on the demonology (composing the Demons entry for the wiki): there are no known demon cities.  I'd say that makes Zinvth a Being city protected by demons, and containing a larger than usual demon population.

superluser

Quote from: Psaakyrn on January 14, 2007, 07:32:06 AMActually, couldn't the hoof-sharpening be from prepping for a long distance run?

Maybe for a sprint, but after the first few steps, you'd be better off with blunter hooves.  With sharp hooves, you spend more energy digging into the dirt, leaving you less to run.  The goal is to not have your feet/hooves move at all when in contact with the ground.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 14, 2007, 08:23:41 AMYou might find this interesting.. I've just checked the Demons entry on the demonology (composing the Demons entry for the wiki): there are no known demon cities.  I'd say that makes Zinvth a Being city protected by demons, and containing a larger than usual demon population.

Well, I never took Cid's comment literally.  More like the ``All Creatures are demonic'' trope again.  We've only seen two demonic characters in there, and we've seen mythos and dragons in there, too.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 14, 2007, 06:42:46 AMI'd be suspicious of Kira, too.

I mean, we've seen Kria, and she's bad enough, but not Kira. Who the heck is Kira?

I wonder if people are spell checking these.  In both the forum spell check and Firefox spell check, Kria comes up as a misspelling, with Kira as the primary correction.