2007/01/13 I wonder where Glory's gone?

Started by superluser, January 12, 2007, 07:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaskedRetriever

Mm, yes, Kria might have made some move against Abel if she had any reason to.  But hey, he's apparently a Cubi and in an agitated state, so maybe it's best to leave crying kitties lie.

Alablast

It's very suspicious for Kria to be here.  The only reason Abel went there was for the funeral; if the outpost was close enough to the city that somebody could run from the city, through a scene change to a forested area, it's doubtful the monster would have lasted long enough anyways, or that the outpost would have been destroyed in the first place (somebody from the city would've seen flames coming off the horizon).  I can't think of any good reason for a school teacher to be there... but then, Kria's pretty much evil.  I hate the idea... but I think she's at least in on the attack (it could be like somebody earlier said; she was teaching other creatures how to attack beings).  :/

As for Glory... I doubt he'd even make Kria break a sweat.  He's probably out of it by now.

superluser

Quote from: Dard on January 12, 2007, 08:49:43 PM- "If anyone sees you, they'll probably kill you." Who 'they'. Either she had accomplices or she means any Beings that find him there in the middle of all that carnage. I guess the former.

I'm actually starting to warm to the idea that she's not referring to adventurers but rather Creatures, specifically because I think that Kria's personally mortified about coming that close to killing a student.

Quote from: Alablast on January 12, 2007, 11:18:45 PMAs for Glory... I doubt he'd even make Kria break a sweat.  He's probably out of it by now.

Rhetorical question.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Madmann135

there's one thing I must say... in all I doubt that Kira is someone that would work with others in one of her rampages.  Not to mention that there were whole bodies laying around and knowing her there would only be peaces.

with that evidence I'm guessing that Kira stumbled upon that battle, saw Abel and decided to offer him her assistance.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Manawolf

It's Kria not Kira.  Demons do have the habit of going solo, since they like to destroy as much as they can and others are just frag stealers.

superluser

Quote from: Madmann135 on January 12, 2007, 11:51:49 PMthere's one thing I must say... in all I doubt that Kira is someone that would work with others in one of her rampages.  Not to mention that there were whole bodies laying around and knowing her there would only be peaces.

with that evidence I'm guessing that Kira stumbled upon that battle, saw Abel and decided to offer him her assistance.

Naww.  Kria has gone on rampages with others in the past (well, future), it would be in her idiom to take young Creatures out to help them learn to hunt, and we don't know if there really were multiple creatures.  I wouldn't put it past Kria to survive an Ice-9.

Manawolf

Well that's her daughter, there is at least that connection.  Other demons don't hold such values normally.

Jigsaw Forte

I'm officially throwing crazy theory #1 in and betting that Kria is actually a Cubi in disguise. Come on, appearing as one of his favorite teachers is almost TOO coincidental, even if she's a demon.

superluser

Quote from: Manawolf on January 13, 2007, 12:12:15 AMWell that's her daughter, there is at least that connection.  Other demons don't hold such values normally.

Has anyone ever said that Lorenda's her only child?

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on January 13, 2007, 12:19:11 AMI'm officially throwing crazy theory #1 in and betting that Kria is actually a Cubi in disguise. Come on, appearing as one of his favorite teachers is almost TOO coincidental, even if she's a demon.

Gyaah!  Brain...hurts!

On its face, it's not that bad of a theory, but if you take it to its logical conclusion, it gets very bad.  Why would the creature be there in the first place?  The creature would have to not have it in for Abel, but not want to expose itself as one of the `cubi.  Why?  It would then obviously want something with Abel.  For that to work, it would have to have engineered Cindy's death.  It doesn't make sense.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 12:31:04 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on January 13, 2007, 12:19:11 AMI'm officially throwing crazy theory #1 in and betting that Kria is actually a Cubi in disguise. Come on, appearing as one of his favorite teachers is almost TOO coincidental, even if she's a demon.

Gyaah!  Brain...hurts!

On its face, it's not that bad of a theory, but if you take it to its logical conclusion, it gets very bad.  Why would the creature be there in the first place?  The creature would have to not have it in for Abel, but not want to expose itself as one of the `cubi.  Why?  It would then obviously want something with Abel.  For that to work, it would have to have engineered Cindy's death.  It doesn't make sense.

No engineering involved.

Think about it... Random Cubi rips up the landscape, isn't interested in feeding, at least on flesh - maybe the mere feeding on beings' last emotions is enough? Random Cubi is able to notice very young, very FREAKED out Cubi... and quickly shifts form to something little Cubi will recognize as 'friendly' and get the fuck away. Young Cubi takes care of hisself, and Random Cubi makes sure he doesn't give the freaked one the wrong impression ('cause let's face it, if Abel saw another headwinged fellow like him running around NOW...).

No devious plot, just 'oh shit, get the little one out of here NOW!' logic.

Manawolf

Quote from: Manawolf on January 13, 2007, 12:12:15 AMWell that's her daughter, there is at least that connection.  Other demons don't hold such values normally.

::Gives shave with Occam's Razor::

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Manawolf on January 13, 2007, 12:48:33 AM

Like Occam's Razor even APPLIES to Mab's plots... see: current comic arc.

superluser

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on January 13, 2007, 12:39:11 AMThink about it... Random Cubi rips up the landscape, isn't interested in feeding, at least on flesh - maybe the mere feeding on beings' last emotions is enough?

Unlikely.  I doubt that someone's final emotions are any more nutritive than others.  I'd guess rather less so, since they are dying.  It would seem a better plan to trap someone and drain their emotions on a regular basis, like Audrey II and Seymour.  I'd like to see something definitive about this, though.

...then again, some people do like foie gras...

There's also the problem that impersonating Kria is unlikely to have a good outcome.  If Abel goes back to Zinvth and starts telling people that Kria's been going on benders out in the woods, she's going to run afoul of the Creature Council.  It's just a fine, but a hundred bucks here, a hundred bucks there, and pretty soon we're talking about real money.

Kria would not be pleased to be paying for food that she didn't eat, and I don't think that you want to see Kria angry.

Quote from: Manawolf on January 13, 2007, 12:48:33 AM
Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 12:31:04 AMHas anyone ever said that Lorenda's her only child?

Did Manawolf just quote someone?

OK.  Occam's Razor:

(1) Kria's alone out there, and she's been able to dodge powerful spells.  Devin was wrong about there being multiple creatures out there.  Demons never go on rampages unless it's kin, and Kria doesn't have any kin.
(2) Kria's up there with her daughter.

Manawolf

I quote yes, but I don't make a quote pyramid.  LEARN THE DIFFERENCE!

Distracting

Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 01:03:42 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on January 13, 2007, 12:39:11 AMThink about it... Random Cubi rips up the landscape, isn't interested in feeding, at least on flesh - maybe the mere feeding on beings' last emotions is enough?

Unlikely.  I doubt that someone's final emotions are any more nutritive than others.  I'd guess rather less so, since they are dying.  It would seem a better plan to trap someone and drain their emotions on a regular basis, like Audrey II and Seymour.  I'd like to see something definitive about this, though.
Kinda like Dracula, hmm? Well you'd have to be careful how you trap someone...enough time around someone, especially if you're feeding off their emotions, will make you take on some traits of the other person...or at least as far as I've noticed.

That makes me thing; I wonder how many Cubi go mad? That might explain the rampages. Might.

Fex

Gyaah!  Brain...hurts!

Maybe she wanted a baby from Abel :mwaha

superluser

Quote from: HeroZero on January 13, 2007, 01:32:37 AMThat makes me thing; I wonder how many Cubi go mad? That might explain the rampages. Might.

Except that the only character that we know of definitively going on rampages is Kria, and she doesn't absorb emotions.

Quote from: Fex on January 13, 2007, 01:33:48 AMMaybe she wanted a baby from Abel :mwaha

You just want my brain to die, don't you?

Fex

Quote from: superluser on January 13, 2007, 01:39:58 AM
Quote from: Fex on January 13, 2007, 01:33:48 AMMaybe she wanted a baby from Abel :mwaha

You just want my brain to die, don't you?

ZOMG How did you find out of my master plan  :bunny

Edit: Fixed your quote, there. :-) -- llearch

DigitalMan

*pushes a stack of poker chips forward*

I say... she didn't kill them.

Valynth

Kinda hard to play poker when only one person holds any cards.

I'd say this would be more like Russian roulette with an Armory full of revolvers and only one bullet.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

Quote from: DigitalMan on January 13, 2007, 02:27:32 AM*pushes a stack of poker chips forward*

I say... she didn't kill them.

I'll bet you exactly one Coke that either she did, or she was part of the party that did.

Think.  What would a schoolteacher be doing there on a school day?  And this isn't at night; this is broad daylight.  You also don't send a response team to a massacre that consists of a lone schoolteacher.  She's a very capable schoolteacher, yes, but I'll bet that the Zinvth town guard could eliminate her in their sleep.

In addition, the signal that Xander sent up is unlikely to be intended for Zinvth, and police on Earth have enough trouble with reconciling 10-codes, so it's unlikely that Zinvth would even know that someone needed a response.

Eibborn

Quote from: Manawolf on January 13, 2007, 01:14:47 AM
I quote yes, but I don't make a quote pyramid.  LEARN THE DIFFERENCE!
Relax, man! I don't believe that there's been a pyramid of over three in this thread. 'Sides, it's an extra few centimeters on your screen. It ought to be a non-issue!

I personally believe that Kria is definitely the one who killed Abel's companions. I also think that she is warning him against beings, not a companion of hers. After all, he now officially has four more wings than most villagers- his virtue was doubted just for having two. The second set mark him quite clearly as an incubus.
/kicks the internet over

Jack McSlay

It doesn't seem all that clear if she did it, or if she did she did everything

I dont think she did the slaghter at least, there's not a drop of blood on her unless she knows dress-washing magic... and that sexy dress isn't a good choice for battle
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 12, 2007, 09:12:21 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 12, 2007, 08:49:00 PMThere's only three other kids in-shot though.. not really enough to tell.  Aren't modern-style cities supposed to be more of a Being thing?  (The city itself protected by demons/angels in exchange for a tribute)
Also Beings are the most populous race in Furrae - Cid and May are allowed to roam the city without being eaten so Beings are obviously welcome/tolerated within it.

I've missed the part where Zinvth is protected by demons/angels for a tribute.

I meant cities in general more than Zinvth specifically.  The point I was trying to make was that with cities, you have a whole load of Beings there to help run it, but they have to pay a tribute of some kind.

Here's Amber's description from The Nice (add 'cities' entry to wiki?):
http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum2443.htm#ref16

QuoteAs to Cid and May being able to roam the city, I've said before that they are paying for Abel's tuition, and Abel's tuition pays their salaries, so...
To summarize: if you're a Being who lives inside the city, you're safe as long as you do what you're told and pay the tithes (see link).  If you live outside the city, you could find yourself in big, big trouble.  I believe that is what we're seeing.

QuoteAnyways, it could be the Creature school.  You presume that there are at least 50% Beings, but I see no evidence to support that.
Only that Beings are the most populous race.  Now it might be that Zinvth literally is a 'demon city', a safe haven for Beings and Creatures alike, and thus has a disproportionately high Creature:Being ratio, as opposed to a Being city with a Creature patron (see the Angel demonology).

As for the 'Creature School' theory, it could be, or it could be that Abel got shunted into a Creature class without him or his parents knowing.
The flaw in that is that since most Creatures are good at magic anyway, Kria's little chat with May should have happened differently - if at all.

**EDIT**
Quote from: Jack McSlay on January 13, 2007, 06:18:47 AM
I dont think she did the slaghter at least, there's not a drop of blood on her unless she knows dress-washing magic... and that sexy dress isn't a good choice for battle

My theory from last night was that she's the instructor, and the Creatures doing the slaughter are her students.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VioletDusk

Anyone else wonder if that's really Kria? Not only does she look young, but she looks considerable more, well, horsey. The eyes are different too; something about them reminds me of F'alina...

Either that, or Amber's changed her style for equine characters. If so, I like it! :love2

Kaerou

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 12, 2007, 08:39:16 PM
*puts on hula skirt and twists*

:-)

Most excellent, Amber. Indeed.

hehehe, glad that i wasnt the only one with that in my mind..!

Great Strip.. i love seeing the young(er) Kria!

by Silverfoxr! Thank you!

Dard

BTW, I hope that everybody noticed that although this page contains a considerable and enjoyable plot-twist, the story in itself and especially the dialogue are pretty banal!

Abel:
"I want to go home."
"I just.. want to go home.."
Kria:
"You need to go home."

Well, at least both of them want the same thing.  :mowcookie

Turnsky

Quote from: Violet Dusk on January 13, 2007, 07:27:51 AM
Anyone else wonder if that's really Kria? Not only does she look young, but she looks considerable more, well, horsey. The eyes are different too; something about them reminds me of F'alina...

Either that, or Amber's changed her style for equine characters. If so, I like it! :love2

doing some simple math, i'd say during the earlier parts of abel's story, kria's roughly 19.

don't believe me?.. compare Kria and Abel's ages from the cast pages..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on January 13, 2007, 07:56:59 AM
doing some simple math, i'd say during the earlier parts of abel's story, kria's roughly 19.

don't believe me?.. compare Kria and Abel's ages from the cast pages..

That would make her about 36 and she looks younger now than she did then  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Quote from: Violet Dusk on January 13, 2007, 07:27:51 AM

Of course change of art style is a real possibility but what about the effects of growing up?

True she's not that old (for a demon) in the present storyline (418) so she could be a skinny youth in the Abel arch and a full grown women in the present day. I like both styles for different reasons anyway.  I have no idea at what speed demons age anyway.

It would be cruel to have two different characters with the same name (the old daughter named after the mother trick) and is unlikely all things considered.

And I've just noticed Turnsky and tapewolf have already pointed this out, oh well.

Why is there no posts for ages then at least one while I'm witting mine?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic)